Myrellion Content Discussion (GENERAL)

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
On Red Myr Venom: Something that no one else seems to bring up is the wide array of aphrodisiacs/hormones/etc that seem to be rampant in a lot of the other species in TITS. The Xenogen shop keeper on Myrellion, Nev- her species sperm is addictive. She takes treatments to make it less so, but there were no laws in place forcing her to. The Lethian shopkeeper on New Texas has crazy hormones.

Considering the wide array of parasites/aphrodisiacs/drugs that can affect even Steele (with their nanobots!) it seems dangerous to put anything at all in your mouth (or orifice of your choice)

Or to let anything put their mouth (or other orifice) on you. The red myr oral sex scenes all talks about hour their venom on your genitals is having one hell of an effect on you.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Bottled red venom is already a thing and causing a drug crisis in Gildenmere.  Regardless of what it may evolutionarily have been used for, leaving it in place is grossly irresponsible if the red myr aren't forcibly sequestered on Myrellion and arguably even if they are, because even if you make it illegal the first enterprising criminal to come to Myrellion will have a field day.

I don't want an option to go kill all the reds, that would be ludicrous and grossly overreacting at that.  I do want the option to eliminate the threat of red venom permanently, because I consider it a danger to the entire galaxy.

As was stated above, U.G.C. doesn't have any regulations regarding Dzaans and their enslaving fluids. U.G.C. also decided to allow New Texas have their f-ed up system of Treatment.

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
And the Reds themselves have strict cultural boundaries when it comes to their Venom, and that's partly why the whole trench wife situation bothers many of them. 

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
As was stated above, U.G.C. doesn't have any regulations regarding Dzaans and their enslaving fluids. U.G.C. also decided to allow New Texas have their f-ed up system of Treatment.

Not just Dzaan and NT, Leithans also have such high pheromone output even without being treated that they get other races in close proximity/enclosed spaces raring to go if not suppressed but it isn't illegal to not suppress it (as far as I know) only courtesy to do so. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
And the Reds themselves have strict cultural boundaries when it comes to their Venom, and that's partly why the whole trench wife situation bothers many of them. 

Allegedly.  In practice there has been nothing to substantiate this, and you certainly don't see any reds giving up their new personal harems.

I'm actually kind of bothered by the whole leithan/dzaan pheromones thing too, and you may have noticed I am very much not a fan of the Treatment.  At least with Ellie New Texas is already established as basically not following the laws of the UGC anyway.  I'd be more fine with "there are laws but out here on the frontier a lot of people flaunt them" than "the human and ausar-dominated UGC has no rules to protect humans and ausar from races capable of chemically enslaving them on a whim".

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Allegedly.  In practice there has been nothing to substantiate this, and you certainly don't see any reds giving up their new personal harems.

I'm actually kind of bothered by the whole leithan/dzaan pheromones thing too, and you may have noticed I am very much not a fan of the Treatment.  At least with Ellie New Texas is already established as basically not following the laws of the UGC anyway.  I'd be more fine with "there are laws but out here on the frontier a lot of people flaunt them" than "the human and ausar-dominated UGC has no rules to protect humans and ausar from races capable of chemically enslaving them on a whim".

So far, though, only Dzaan have been shown to brainwash with bodily fluids and even then it's relatively minor. Yes, trenchwives. Yes, addiction. Yes, rut/heat inducing pheromones. But as I saw elsewhere (FoE thread to be exact) addiction =/= mind control. Lust inducement is not mind control either. You want mind control (with or without pheromones), though, there's the doh'rahn subspecies that does exactly that and literally.

I get it, the red venom rubs you the wrong way and I am not a fan of mind control/brainwashing either but I think you're looking too hard through a tinted glass here.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF

U.G.C. tends to not give a shit even about slave trade as long as it calls itself 'indentured servitude'. In any case, IMO obliging every member of a dangerous species to take a suppressant drug whenever they interact with other U.G.C. citizens is a better solution than forcibly altering DNA of a whole race. Especially since the people actually doing said alteration would most likely be Xenogen, who I agree are shady as fuck.

Ravelordnito

Sep 17, 2015
So far, though, only Dzaan have been shown to brainwash with bodily fluids and even then it's relatively minor. Yes, trenchwives. Yes, addiction. Yes, rut/heat inducing pheromones. But as I saw elsewhere (FoE thread to be exact) addiction =/= mind control. Lust inducement is not mind control either. You want mind control (with or without pheromones), though, there's the doh'rahn subspecies that does exactly that and literally.

I get it, the red venom rubs you the wrong way and I am not a fan of mind control/brainwashing either but I think you're looking too hard through a tinted glass here.

excactly, the "threat" of red venom is grossly exagerated, hardly something that required a red myr genocide or species-wide forced genemoding. Numerous species in tits have lust inducing venoms\pheromones that are only slightly weaker than red myr (leithian/zil pheromones) though are probably less addictive. While races such as the Dzaan, that rahn subspecies, and venus pitchers have actual true mind control powers yet aren't regulated by the UGC.

Red myr obviously dont present any new threat to the galaxy.

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
I am in the camp that if Xenogen made some kind of suppressant serum, that might be better than any more drastic alternatives. Although, I have to wonder: since this is a new planet, it is unlikely that there are many people that know about the effects of the saliva. However, these other races have been around for a bit of a while now. Actually, which planets have new species? The first planet (Mhenga or Tarkus? I can never remember) seems new since it doesn't look heavily colonized. Plus when you encounter the Zil through Penny, she tells you about their lust pheromones as though it's something unexpected. However, people like the Dzaan should have been known before this Planet Rush. As such, the people of the UGC would have had time to form an opinion on their mind altering qualities. With such a species already known to the UGC, and the steps taken towards minimizing any untoward effects I don't see the Red Myr integration into the UGC going all that roughly. The transition would only be bumpy while there isn't a drug that can suppress their particular venom without harming the user. And unless there is a rash of Myr sex slaves occurring on other UGC planets, I don't see too many restrictive laws coming into place. Now, I can see the venom being used as a new drug very easily, but that isn't the fault of the race itself. That would be like blaming the gun for shooting someone when it was being controlled by a person. You know what. I'm convinced. Guns are bad. We should ban them throughout the universe. People don't kill people; guns do. Only guns kill people. Nothing else is capable of killing people.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Let's not make this thread about gun control.

I will admit my position is very strongly on the anti-red side, but I also feel it's consistent to dislike dzaan and leithan pheromones being unregulated and also to dislike the red myr as presented.  Red venom has been presented much more forwardly, as being much more addictive, and as being much more widespread in its usage than we've seen out of dzaan or leithan characters.  We are told that the myr are responsible with usage of their venom to drug people and thus are trustworthy, but my experience in practice has been exactly the opposite.

I don't feel this position is extremist even if it's very strong.  Extremist would be as Fen described and trying to get the race exterminated, which is foolish.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

Nehzara.

Let's not make this thread about gun control.

I will admit my position is very strongly on the anti-red side, but I also feel it's consistent to dislike dzaan and leithan pheromones being unregulated and also to dislike the red myr as presented.  Red venom has been presented much more forwardly, as being much more addictive, and as being much more widespread in its usage than we've seen out of dzaan or leithan characters.  We are told that the myr are responsible with usage of their venom to drug people and thus are trustworthy, but my experience in practice has been exactly the opposite.

I don't feel this position is extremist even if it's very strong.  Extremist would be as Fen described and trying to get the race exterminated, which is foolish.

You can dislike them as much as you want, but given the dzaan, rahn, and leithans can go about with their weird sex-chems at full mast, I seriously doubt anything will be done about Red Venom. Also, if you read the dzaan codex, you'll note that basically every dzaan female is addicted to an alpha's cum. The race's entire reproductive cycle is based on addiction and harem-keeping, which seems at least if not more extreme than what the reds do. 

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Perhaps I should have specified "willingly".  Nehzara was forced to give hers up for her position.  If the reds are supposedly "bothered" about the whole trench wife situation, you'd think there would be some kind of internal pressure to stop the practice.  And it still doesn't stop Nehzara from forcing her venom on you the first chance she gets.  Again, it is literally the first thing she does when you get in private with her.

You can dislike them as much as you want, but given the dzaan, rahn, and leithans can go about with their weird sex-chems at full mast, I seriously doubt anything will be done about Red Venom. Also, if you read the dzaan codex, you'll note that basically every dzaan female is addicted to an alpha's cum. The race's entire reproductive cycle is based on addiction and harem-keeping, which seems at least if not more extreme than what the reds do. 

Again, I find this logically bizarre.  "There are laws, but it's the frontier so who gives a shit?" is one thing, "there aren't any laws anywhere" is quite another.

Honestly I hadn't more than skimmed the dzaan codex, and yes, it's certainly more extreme in how the reproductive cycle works.  It is, however, much less extreme in how easy it is for a dzaan to drug someone up.  And the fact that the dzaan aren't the centerpiece of an entire planet helps.

And really, that's the problem here: when there are all of two dzaan, one rahn and one female leithan in the entire game, you can kind of ignore the logical implications of the weird sex chems.  Ellie is Treated with all the expectations of content that implies, and neither the dzaan nor Flahne draw heavy attention to their chemical features, they're just kind of present.  That makes it a whole lot easier to go into lizard brain mode and fap to it.  When you make a whole planet whose dominant species has an addictive drug for spit, present it as the single most prominent aspect of their biology, delve into exploring the social practices it brings about, and have characters who describe the traumatic experience they had of being subjected to it in scenes that have no sexual content at all, suddenly it's a whole lot harder to not think about it.

Really at this point what I want most is just to get off Myrellion and go on to something, anything else.  I'm fully aware that in most if not all endings the red myr will get away with everything and get to keep drugging people all they want, because there's no logical scenario where they don't keep most of the planet.  So it goes.  It would just be nice if there was some option to at least protest it.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
I would imagine the sheer prevalence of sentient creatures with sexually addictive or behaviour-modifying features in the galaxy has made attitudes towards them much more liberal than we would normally expect. Aside from the ones already mentioned there are the zil, the vanae, the daynar, the fanfir... although Fen just used the word for its first letter and for the association with corruption, this is surely the "taint" of the title: A universe where easily-abused sexual qualities and attitudes are so widespread, humans can set up a colony where women are chemically lobotomised when they reach puberty and nobody raises an eyebrow. In this setting, I think the red myr can reasonably argue that the UGC has zero right to force them to neuter their mouths.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I would imagine the sheer prevalence of sentient creatures with sexually addictive or behaviour-modifying features in the galaxy has made attitudes towards them much more liberal than we would normally expect. Aside from the ones already mentioned there are the zil, the vanae, the daynar, the fanfir... although Fen just used the word for its first letter and for the association with corruption, this is surely the "taint" of the title: A universe where easily-abused sexual qualities and attitudes are so widespread, humans can set up a colony where women are chemically lobotomised when they reach puberty and nobody raises an eyebrow.

Pretty much!

Anyway, Couch, I wholeheartedly suggest you turn your creative energies towards content for Uveto and Space Encounters since those are the immediate "anything else" we're moving on to. The sooner icepuppy planet has a bunch of content written for it, the sooner that starts getting coded and we can all start arguing about the moral implications of Megacorporations owning entire planets and giant space-anglerfish genetically engineering perfect fuckpuppets.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I would imagine the sheer prevalence of sentient creatures with sexually addictive or behaviour-modifying features in the galaxy has made attitudes towards them much more liberal than we would normally expect. Aside from the ones already mentioned there are the zil, the vanae, the daynar, the fanfir... although Fen just used the word for its first letter and for the association with corruption, this is surely the "taint" of the title: A universe where easily-abused sexual qualities and attitudes are so widespread, humans can set up a colony where women are chemically lobotomised when they reach puberty and nobody raises an eyebrow. In this setting, I think the red myr can reasonably argue that the UGC has zero right to force them to neuter their mouths.

An unpleasantly valid argument.  Kind of takes some of the fun out of the game.

And I've had shit sitting in the pipeline for ten months, so I'm taking it slow to keep it clogging even further, but the current focuses of my efforts are indeed in both of those fields.  So we'll see how that fares.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
The sooner icepuppy planet has a bunch of content written for it, the sooner that starts getting coded and we can all start arguing about the morale implications of Megacorporations owning entire planets and giant space-anglerfish genetically engineering perfect fuckpuppets.

Try not to be so in-your-face about it as the last two planets have been.  Mhen'ga and Tarkus were good at keeping their dark and disturbing aspects subtle, out of sight, and away from the sex.  New Texas and Myrellion not so much.

TheInfamousImmortal

Aug 27, 2015
Anyway, Couch, I wholeheartedly suggest you turn your creative energies towards content for Uveto and Space Encounters since those are the immediate "anything else" we're moving on to. The sooner icepuppy planet has a bunch of content written for it, the sooner that starts getting coded and we can all start arguing about the moral implications of Megacorporations owning entire planets and giant space-anglerfish genetically engineering perfect fuckpuppets.

So pretty much, get Uveto done, make sure it has enough beginning content, and jump back and forth between Uveto and Myrellion, right?

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015

Makes me feel like I'm playing in the smutty version of Star Trek's Mirrorverse... (*v*)

argenten

Sep 9, 2015
Mind-control and similar fetishes are tricky at the best of times, so it's not surprising to see severely conflicting opinions over the subject. In the end, we get what we put in. I kinda feel like the thread got derailed from general Myrness and went dark rather quickly

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Myrellion's a pretty dark world.  Underground and all that.

But no, of the planets as I said, Mhen'ga and Tarkus kind of left their darker aspects in the background or hinted at rather than displayed outright.  New Texas is intended to be idyllic if you're a fan of the fetishes it centers around.  That it happens to also be a nightmarish dystopia if you're not into those fetishes is more of a byproduct of the nature of the fetishes.  But it's also an optional world that never needs to be visited for story progression, so whatever.

Compared to all of these, Myrellion addresses its darker aspects much more directly and spends much more time talking about them.  There are at least as many characters who talk about the atrocities committed by both reds and golds, and the horrors of war in general, as there are characters who will have sex with you.  This makes it a much more dismal atmosphere even though from a purely objective perspective Tarkus is probably more of a shithole.  While it's been interesting as an exercise in what happens if you do that, I feel it would be to the game's detriment if we had too many more worlds like this, which is why I hope the themes on Uveto of corporate exploitation will be handled with the more delicate touch of previous planets rather than the heavier tone of Myrellion.

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
I dunno. What the Xenogen doctor on Mhen'ga does to those Zil you capture for him is pretty dark and horrific if you think about it (and I think capturing the second one should give you an absolutely huge number of hard personality points given that you know what happened to the first one).

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
If you think about it, yes, but aside from serving as the establishing character moment for Xenogen it doesn't severely affect matters on the planet.  For that matter it's not even that nasty - it is decidedly mean, yes, but the male zil ends up with nuts still smaller than the ones you get out of a Synthsheath.  The female has a bit more of a problem with the breasts, of course, but for both the only other effect on them is a desire to fuck all the time, which is all zil want to do all the time anyway.  It's deliberately something made to be pretty harmless but with a kind of nasty edge to it when you think about it, because that characterizes what Xenogen is all about without shoving it in your face that they're actually a pretty evil bunch of guys.

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
Wonder who the head of Xenogen is anyway. For some reason I feel they have the initials A.W.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
That person...or being since well Xenogen likes to play gods so their CEO can be something like Vic but without bothering to keep human appearance would be for sure around top of chart of richest people in galaxy ^^

About Uveto isn't it another side world not storyline one? It start sound from recent posts like it's next world with probe while in other places it's meantioned as something like NT.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Uveto is a non-probe world, yes. It'll have its own little stories, but isn't necessary for the main plot. 

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
You can meet the founder, in the fucking unlikely event of this ever being implemented.

Yes Pleeease ! *sad square noises in the background*

Myrellion's a pretty dark world.  Underground and all that.

But no, of the planets as I said, Mhen'ga and Tarkus kind of left their darker aspects in the background or hinted at rather than displayed outright.  New Texas is intended to be idyllic if you're a fan of the fetishes it centers around.  That it happens to also be a nightmarish dystopia if you're not into those fetishes is more of a byproduct of the nature of the fetishes.  But it's also an optional world that never needs to be visited for story progression, so whatever.

Compared to all of these, Myrellion addresses its darker aspects much more directly and spends much more time talking about them.  There are at least as many characters who talk about the atrocities committed by both reds and golds, and the horrors of war in general, as there are characters who will have sex with you.  This makes it a much more dismal atmosphere even though from a purely objective perspective Tarkus is probably more of a shithole.  While it's been interesting as an exercise in what happens if you do that, I feel it would be to the game's detriment if we had too many more worlds like this, which is why I hope the themes on Uveto of corporate exploitation will be handled with the more delicate touch of previous planets rather than the heavier tone of Myrellion.

I don't have anything against slightly darker things ; if anything, I think they make the funny and smutty scenes even more enjoyable when you get them. However, Tarkus is kinda bleak, what with :

• Raskvels being kidnapped and sold as sex slaves
  • Del
  • Being potentially mind-controlled by the lizard hypnotist to the east
  • Nova and her crew
  • Raskvels being incapable of creating their own inventions because of their sex drive and co-evolving with the Goblins, and consequently dying out outside of Novahome
  • The planet being potentially torn in half, depending on the player's action
That's pretty in your face too, imho, and I find it more disturbing than Myrellion, because it isn't even all out war (ie an exceptional scenario), just the way things are on this planet. On Myrellion, you know there's a war, so you expect things to be grim ; on Tarkus, it slaps you in the face when you are not expecting it, which makes it (to me) bleaker.

Galgano

Aug 28, 2015
That's pretty in your face too, imho, and I find it more disturbing than Myrellion, because it isn't even all out war (ie an exceptional scenario), just the way things are on this planet. On Myrellion, you know there's a war, so you expect things to be grim ; on Tarkus, it slaps you in the face when you are not expecting it, which makes it (to me) bleaker.

Yes, but what Couch is referring to is things like Nova, and the hypnotist, you could bypass those things. Now granted you needed to do one of those things for Anno to be a part of your crew, but overall you could skip it. You know. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that when it comes to violence in fiction, America has become desensitized to it due to all of it in movies. But things like sex has become more of a taboo/behind-closed-doors kind of thing. Whereas in other countries, it's the opposite. Again, that's just what I've heard. Feel free to disprove me. I'm just a parrot.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You don't actually need Anno in your crew to go through the story.  You're obviously meant to, and it's certainly helpful, but it's not necessary by any means.

Though what I mean is more like...okay, let's look at the Mess for an example.  You go to the bar and the service really sucks.  You briefly see the proprietor, Beth Carver, and then you're left with the bartender Del to use as you like.  Del complains a bit about being a man being forced to act like a girl, but is only briefly vocal, and soon becomes enthusiastic if you tap that ass or just have him eat your pussy out a few times.  If you talk with Shekka, once you get all the way down into her fairly deep conversation tree you can find out she's concerned about people who've worked there disappearing, and the overall sketchiness of the Mess.

From everything presented you can infer that the Mess is being turned into a brothel, and that Beth is a slaver doing something with the raskvel she hires.  Going to Beth's Busty Broads on Tavros, which you may or may not have done at this point, will help confirm that she is indeed a slaver, but apparently a legal one at least as far as you can tell.  No hint is given about what's happening to the raskvel, since they shouldn't be indentured servants, so something else must be going on.

If Tarkus were written like Myrellion, Del would have quite a number of talk scenes which would be treated with utmost seriousness about the soul-crushing experience of being trapped in a cycle of debt from which you can never escape.  Rather than revealing a hidden enjoyment for the sexual escapades of the bar, he would be simply broken down, perhaps faking a smile but with resignation rather than enthusiasm.  It would be pretty clear what was happening to the missing raskvel and it would be suitably horrific, and in general the subtlety about how the situation is actually kind of fucked up would be absent.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
You don't actually need Anno in your crew to go through the story.  You're obviously meant to, and it's certainly helpful, but it's not necessary by any means.

Though what I mean is more like...okay, let's look at the Mess for an example.  You go to the bar and the service really sucks.  You briefly see the proprietor, Beth Carver, and then you're left with the bartender Del to use as you like.  Del complains a bit about being a man being forced to act like a girl, but is only briefly vocal, and soon becomes enthusiastic if you tap that ass or just have him eat your pussy out a few times.  If you talk with Shekka, once you get all the way down into her fairly deep conversation tree you can find out she's concerned about people who've worked there disappearing, and the overall sketchiness of the Mess.

From everything presented you can infer that the Mess is being turned into a brothel, and that Beth is a slaver doing something with the raskvel she hires.  Going to Beth's Busty Broads on Tavros, which you may or may not have done at this point, will help confirm that she is indeed a slaver, but apparently a legal one at least as far as you can tell.  No hint is given about what's happening to the raskvel, since they shouldn't be indentured servants, so something else must be going on.

If Tarkus were written like Myrellion, Del would have quite a number of talk scenes which would be treated with utmost seriousness about the soul-crushing experience of being trapped in a cycle of debt from which you can never escape.  Rather than revealing a hidden enjoyment for the sexual escapades of the bar, he would be simply broken down, perhaps faking a smile but with resignation rather than enthusiasm.  It would be pretty clear what was happening to the missing raskvel and it would be suitably horrific, and in general the subtlety about how the situation is actually kind of fucked up would be absent.

Think you're mildly overstating things - and stating "show PC exactly what's going on here" < "let the PC get away with dubious actions by keeping it all in the background or flat out not tell them until later" is a bit hmmm - but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

I think it's mostly a consequence of having a planet's hat be "War", rather than for instance "Trash" or "Jungle". War is something you have to address a lot if it's happening, as it will be occupying most of the characters' attention, and it's only sexy in video games.