Conquest of Shadows (For DaBomb)

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash's eye briefly twitches before she lets out a chuckle.  "Four thousand? Really?  I could get a higher price even if it was still encased in the rock I mined it from, you're not getting me with that.  I need enough coins to purchase a building for someone, and I promised them." She says flat out, her eyes gazing the counter full of staffs once more.  "I want a higher price on the gem and to further convince you, i'll give you an offer.  You said you collected rare things, right?  I will gladly quest out to get a rare item, that is within reason.   In return, I want a more than generous offer on the gem and a staff of my choice. " She offers, tapping her fingers on the table.  "And I want half of the gem's value up front, so I can at least give something back to the one I promised to, in case I don't return." She adds, pausing for a moment.

"Does that sound like a fair trade?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Charisma roll: 5 + 5 = 10.)

The woman frowns. "Perhaps you could fetch a higher price for it at one of the upper level shops. But do you really want to take the chance? The gem cutters' guildmembers are sticklers for protocol. They're sure to look into this little beauty's history... I wonder what they'd find. Nothing good for you, I daresay."

She looks at you, clearly mulling overt the situation you presented her with. "Tell you what, I'll take you up on your offer. This ruby and a small favor, in exchange for five thousand crowns. Two thousand in advance along with the staff. Come now, I'm being generous, don't you agree?" She offers a hand to seal the deal.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
(Wow, it's a good thing I dumped points into Charisma.)

Ash tapped her fingers on the counter for a few moments, staring at the woman's hand. After a sigh, she reached out and shook the woman's hand.   "Yes, that is certainly reasonable..." She admits, crossing her arms across her chest.  "I need to take the money I get in advance back to  a certain town, so this woman won't be empty handed.  Then I will do this errand and return for the rest of my pay." She explains, letting out a second sigh.  "So, what's the errand?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Oh I don't expect immediate results... I'm a very patient woman and I have a good feeling about this arrangement. Play your cards right, and this might be the beginnings of a beautiful partnership." From the way she licks her lips, you have no doubt who she believes will benefit more from this deal.

"Until recent years, I had a profitable business ferrying exotic goods from the northern forests and selling them to curious deviants among the nobility. Ever since our wonderful king started paying lip service to the Temple, regulations have tightened and my business has dried up." She waves around the shop. "All this? Used to be my hobby. Now I'm barely scraping buy. This stuff is valuable, but nearly impossible to find buyers for. What I could really use something with a fast turn around time..."

"You see, I'm the not only one suffering from these restrictions. I've no doubt there are rich nobles just aching to spice up their secret parties." She grins wickedly. "Your assignment is to obtain a good quantity of something that will turn one so so orgy into an utter pit of debauchery. Minotaur cum, demonic fluids, all variety is welcome, but make sure it's potent."

She tosses you a bone-white scepter fixed with a dangling charm emitting ghost-light. (Gain advantage once a day when casting a mind-affecting spell)

"Get some of your forest friends to donate or set up your own harvesting operation,  I don't really care how you do it... In fact it's probably better if I don't know." She crouches under the counter and you hear the clicking of a safe. The store owner emerges with a sack of coins and offers it to you.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash quickly catches the staff, tapping it on the ground a few times, nodding appreciatively  "I'll think of something, I tend to be very resourceful in providing unique ways to get jobs done." She says with a smile, taking the gold from the woman's hand once it was offered to her. She turns around to leave.  "Well, see you later.  Hopefully, I return with what you need." She states, walking out of the shop, making sure she downs her hood before leaving.  Once outside, she briefly looks around before sighing.  "Now, I just gotta find Cart and tell him the plan." She mumbles, beginning to look for the wolf-morph.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You return to the lower levels of the city, fairly certain that the roguish wolfmorph would not be welcome amongst the finery of the merchant quarter.

With the sun having set, the slums have descended into a landscape of shadow and fog. Even your own well trained nerves are on edge in this place. Every alley seems to be populated with vagabonds and padfoots drinking and playing at dice. One toothless individual leers at you, staggering under the influence of an evening of merrymaking. Side stepping him isn't an issue and the cretin's companions guffaw as he tumbles into a barrel of refuse.

(Insight roll: 13 + 4 = 17)

You find yourself beginning to get turned around in the tangle of rundown shacks. A quick word with an old crone in a creaking rocking chair helps you locate the city gate where you had initially entered the city. Reoriented, you begin a more systematic search, poking into taverns and seedy pawn shops. Fruitless in your sleuthing, you are just about to leave your most recent dead end when you feel a tugging at your robes. You looked down to find a wide-eyed boy dressed in a filthy smock. He wordless mimes what you guess are two animalistic wolf ears and points at nearby alley.

When you near the passageway, you hear the impact of a leather boot against flesh. A reedy voice becomes audible.

"C'mon doggy, we heard all about ya poking around with the fences. Must have felt good for a furry piece of filth like y'self to be walking tall like ya got someth'n to prove... Well where is it? Don't tell me all that talk of unloading a huge rock fast an' easy was just hot air? Now ya can tell us where it is, or I can cut my losses with a new fur rug. What's it gonna be?"

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash nods at the boy, tapping his shoulder and putting a few coins in his hand.  She mouths 'Thank you', before making her way to the alley, only for her to stop dead in her tracks.  And if her racial slurs were up to standard, she assumed Doggy as referring to a Wolf-Morph.  She knew in her heart that it must be Cart.  With a slight sigh, she begins walking into the Alley, peering at its occupants.  "Uh Boys, is there a problem here?" She asks, peering down at Cart.  "I'm pretty sure the Boss wouldn't like it if you killed one of his errand boys." She says with a frown.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Your keen eyes cut through the gloom and spy Cart lying crumpled on the ground, bruised and bloodied. The speaker, a heavyset man with a scraggly beard, has his leg raised over Cart's head. He's about to give your companion a pounding right when you make your appearance. Nearby, two thugs stand with their hands on knife hilts. While the portly fellow startles at the sight of you, his henchmen regard you carefully and ready their weapons. You can tell from their stance that these men are hired muscle and not shy about committing violence.

Cart's aggressor lowers his foot and turns towards you. "What in the hells ya talking about missy? There's only one boss on these streets an' yer lookin at him. Ya want your doggy back? Fine by me. But I don' give up somethin' fer nothin'. How's about you tell about the rock he's been goin' on about?... Unless there ain't no rock, in which case I'm sure we'll work something out..."

He approaches, warily eying your glowing staff. Hands raised, he stops short a few paces away. One goon remains with Cart while the other follows behind his employer like a shadow.

"I think I get the picture now. You the "stone" this mutt was lookin' to pass around? Nice girl like you don' need to be roaming the streets. I can see you got a bit of the taint, but that ain't a problem. Some gents will pay more for that kind of thing in the upper levels, if you can believe it. Few weeks working with me, an you'll have more money than you could ever dream..." 

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash let out a small chuckle as she put down her hood, smiling warmly at the man.  "No, you've misunderstood!  By Boss, I was referring to me!" She happily explains, gesturing to herself. "And you're messing with my puppy.  Of whom I have paid for his services and I expect for him to finish his job." She informs, tapping her staff for every syllable she say, emphasizing her dialogue.  She drags her hand through her hair and lets out a deep sigh.  "Listen boys, this was a misunderstanding and let's keep it that way.  I want my puppy back know before I do anything for you.  Though, i'd prefer to not make your melted brain matter pour out of you nose, but I will if I have to." She states, gripping the staff tightly. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Insight roll: 14 + 4 = 18.)

The man keeps his gaze locked on you, nodding as if digesting what you have to say. You note the minute change in stance and the almost imperceptible gesture made with the hand at his side. His intentions are given away when his bodyguard slowly reverses his grip on his weapon, clearly intending to knock you out with the pommel. Meanwhile, the leader keeps talking like you're still negotiating.

"I wasn' aware there was a new player in town, my apologies. Not every day you see a pretty face with a working brain behind it... No need make things messy. Coin flows thicker amongst friends, am I right?"

He gives you a gap-toothed smile and glances back at his henchman who nods curtly. Signal given, the man leaps backwards just as his goon rushes forward, hand drawn back to throw some object. Before he can act, you intervene with your own countermeasure.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash frowns at the sight of the boss, easily noticing his gestures.  Seeing the expected attack, she raises her staff in front of her, quickly sputtering a demonic tongue, causing a mind shattering magical blast shoot towards the man attacking her. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
[Precision vs. Speed]: 12 + 1 vs. 7 + 2. Success!

[Intelligence vs. Fortitude]: 9 + 6 vs. 11 + 2. Normal wound.

The force of your spellcraft causes the air around you scepter to ripple. The thug's eyes widen in fear at the fearsome display, but his momentum is such that he is unable to stop. He barely has time to futilely raise his hands before your psychic assault ripples outward. The hired blade's eyes and ears trickle blood before he crumples to the ground. A gurgling sound emanating from his throat assures you he'll live. From his limp hand, a flash bomb rolls impotently against the flagstones.

The street boss seems pretty close to wetting himself at this point. He cowers behind his remaining lackey who, by the look on his face, seems to be seriously considering a change in vocation.

"L-look lass, ain't no reason we can't be reasonable about this... Y-you want your mutt back? Go ahead, take 'em. You won't be seeing me ever-"

His pleading is cut off by a fearsome growl. Cart has taken advantage of the lapse in his beating and risen to his feet. He seems unsteady and more than a little battered, but that hasn't stopped him from appropriating a piece of timber as an improvised cudgel. From the look in his eye, you can tell that mercy is the furthest thing from the wolfman's mind.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash looks at Cart and gives him a death stare, baring her teeth her eyes beginning to glow with more intensity.  "Cart!" She yells.  "I do not have time to deal with this filth more than I have already.  Now, let's get moving, I'd prefer to not have Kath wait any longer than she already has." She growls through her clenched teeth.  "Her eyes flick up to the cowering boss, causing her to tightly grip her staff. "Are you still here?  Are you really trying to piss of a fucking Wizard even further?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The grungy man takes the cue and makes a break for it. The remaining thug awkwardly looks at you and then Cart before slinking after his employer, not even sparing his fallen companion a glance.

Cart gives the man you dropped a malicious look, but obeys your command and doesn't take any further action. He slowly limps over to you, clutching his ribcage with a grimace.

"Fucking vultures got me from behind while I was waiting for a potential buyer... Call me crazy, but I think some of my contacts have been talking." His ears flatten miserably. "If small fries like this are after our merchandise, you can bet the entire underground is aware of our business... Sorry boss, I thought I still had some trustworthy friends here. Clearly I was wrong."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash pats Cart on the back, sighing.  "It doesn't matter, I got the money.  Or  at least some of it.  I made a deal with someone and i'll get the rest of the coins after a job.  For now, i'd like to get the money I have to Kath.  In case anything goes wrong with the job, I don't want to leave her without any money." She explains.  "Do you need help walking out of here, or will you be fine?" She asks, her eyes showing sight concern. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(I assume by Kath you mean Kari :p )

The wolfmorph grimaces at your touch, clearly more than a little bruised.

"I'm alright. Takes more than a few kicks to keep me down." He curses after a particularly jarring step. "Two more probably would have done the trick though." He adds ruefully.

You begin making your way back to the main gate. Some lowlifes give you passing glances, but no one seems willing to make a move. Cart keeps up with you, but just barely, clearly in a substantial amount of pain. You've heard of wolfmorphs having impressive fortitudes and Cart seems to be no exception. Still, while his perseverance is admirable, it's probably too much to hope for him to bounce back in a few hours. Hopefully, Cart got away with some extensive bruising, but you wouldn't be surprised if he had a few cracked ribs.

The gate is within sight when Cart taps you on the shoulder.

"It's alright if you go ahead without me. This is my mess that I fell into, and you're in a hurry... I don't want to slow you down."

Leaving Cart behind would definitely expedite your journey back to Tencrest. Without some serious patching up, the wolfmorph will likely be a liability on the road, and there's still that bandit encampment to consider. Then again, you're pretty certain an injured beastman wouldn't last long in the slums. Cart came along to prove himself useful to you, but his potential as a valuable asset remains to be seen.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
(Oops, Foiled again!)

Ash frowns at Cart, knowing that he'd likely not be able to journey with her, let alone make it back to town. "Cart... no.  I'm not going to leave you... and you're in no condition to leave the city... We need to get you patched up." She orders, frowning at the wolf.  With a sigh, she thought to bring him to the only person she knew in the town.  The store owner. She helped Cart walk, and made her way to the store she had visited before. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart protest is stifled as you put his arm over your shoulders, supporting him as you backtrack towards the merchant district. The scrappy wolfmorph seems a little flustered at your closeness. Then again, you couldn't really expect anyone to be calm and collected after being beaten so severely.

The trek is a long once, with more than a few flights of stairs along the way. You find yourself working up a pretty good sweat as Cart is having to rely upon you more and more as his strength is sapped.

You're just on the verge of collapsing when you finally make it back to the curiosity shop. The bell chimes as you stumble through the doorway. You disengage yourself from Cart who promptly slumps against the door frame.

"Where.... Where are we?" He pants.

Before you can answer, a familiar voice rings out. "You are in my home... And I must say, a little sooner than expected. Couldn't bear to stay away?"

The shopkeeper emerges from the back. Her risqué leatherwear as been replaced with a more practical silk robe and she sports a comically fuzzy pair of slippers. With her hair unbound and face stripped of makeup, she doesn't appear as intimidating a figure as before... Still gorgeous though.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash was a little surprised to see the Store owner stripped of her outfit, sporting bed wear but it didn't matter at the moment.  "I was planning on leaving as soon as possible, but my guide got himself into trouble and as you can see he's no where near fit to travel.  I severely lack in healing magic, so I was wondering if you had something?" She asked in a low tone. "I don't know any other place I could go to and he wasn't much of a help either..."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The busty half-elf kneels next to Cart. "Mmmm, can't say I'm an expert on anatomy. But..." Cart lets out a choked gasp as she prods his side. "I'm pretty sure one of his ribs is broken, and the sharp end might puncture a lung if we just let it be."

She rises and strides over to one of the shop's far corners. There is a clatter as she clears a pile of clutter off a dusty trunk and rummages through it.

"Now I'm not exactly a doctor, and I know the temple doesn't treat animal morphs. However..." She returns and offers you a dark vile filled with a red viscous fluid that sloshes animatedly. "This should go a long way in restoring your friend. I won't pretend there aren't potential side effects, but it's a better treatment than any back alley bone sawer could give you." 

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash accepts the vial, peering into its contents.  "I'm going to assume this isn't a normal health potion... but we have little other choice." She mumbles, uncorking the vial and handing it to Cart.  "Drink up.  We both know it's best not too stay in a place like this for too long.  I just want to return to home as soon as possible." She states. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Cart hesitates for a moment, but then accepts the offered potion. He chugs it down, grimacing at the taste. You wait...

Minutes crawl by as you carefully observe your companion, the store owner lights a pipe and lounges against the counter, blowing smoke rings.

"I don't think it's working. Maybe- arghhh!" Cart doubles over, the flask clattering against the wooden floorboards. The wolfmorph rolls on to his back, hands clawing desperately at his side. You feel the room's temperature rise and the air become thick with demonic magic. A cracking fills the air as Cart's bones begin to reknit themselves. The bruises fade from his skin and his misshapen ribcage begins to realign.

Is it just your imagination, or is steam rolling off of Cart's body? You feel like if you flicked a drop of water at his skin, it would sizzle with heat. A few moments after Cart's wounds heal, it becomes apparent that the potion's magic is not done. Having made its host whole once more, the dark brew begins to work other changes. The sinewy muscles of Cart's forearm's swell with vigor and you hear the tearing of linen as his clothes strain to contain an ever strengthening musculature. The wolfmorph's fangs and claws take on fearsome proportions and his fur turns shaggy and black as midnight. Your companion convulses, knocking over furniture and tearing deep rends in the floor.

Then just as suddenly as it started, the transformation ends. Cart slumps with exhaustion, breathing heavily. The storeowner approaches.

"Well that went better than expected. You must be one tough puppy to be done with the full dosage so soon. Now let's check those rib-"

She let's out a strangled yelp as Cart surges to his feet. He wraps the busty half-elf in a fearsome hold, pawing at her chest and snarling in her ear. The straining at his breaches lets you know that Cart's other parts have gone through a growth spurt. His eyes glow like a pair of coals with a fearsome rage.

"L-lust madness... N-needs... Catalytic release..."

Seems like Cart's sanity is in danger of being burnt away by the demon brew. Preserving your companion's personality will likely take some finesse... And a lot of spellpower. Then again, you could let the situation take its course and gain a powerful, albeit corrupt minion.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash steps back in shock as Cart begins to change, his appearance turning much more unholy than before, becoming much more bestial in appearance. To make matters even worse, it seems his mind had become more bestial as well, falling to savage lusty needs.   Gripping her staff, she concentrated to her pinnacle amount of spell power, sorcery emitting from her fingers as she urged the creature to loose consciousness. "Sleep!"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Intellect vs. Fortitude. Advantage. 19 + 6 vs. 3 + 4. Critical <.<)

The charm on the end of your staff cast a bright ethereal glow and a soothing chorus whispers upon the air. You can feel the lustful rage burning in Cart's psyche. It resists against your magic like a raging bonfire in the middle of a dense fog. You channel more energy into the contest, seeking out the carnal impulses that have taken hold of your friend.

Little by little, the demon magic retreats, attempting to hide from your psychic probe. Cart has released his captive at this point and has fallen to the ground cross eyed.

But you feel you can do more. Healing might not be your specialty, but you feel remarkable in tune with your abilities in this moment. You touch Cart's consciousness and brush against the very essence of his personality: his wants, fears, and ambitions... You can see the dark taint that has crept inside and inflamed the wolfmorph's darker tendencies. Most prevalent are the lustful urges that, but there is something just as strong lurking in the background: resentment. The details are hazy, but Cart is nurturing ambitions of revenge and you are central to his plans.

You dispel the remaining traces of the demon brew and allow Cart to slip into unconsciousness. His head thuds against the floor and a deep snoring fills the shop.

The shop keeper is awkwardly sprawled in Cart's lap, his sizable tent still mashed between her legs. The half-elf tentatively prods the caged monster.

"Jeez. Either this guy was already packing, or that potion unlocked some serious latent potential. I've been accused of being a size queen, but this might have been stretching things... No pun intended." She flashes you a grateful smile. Was it just you, or did she seem overly excited? Most people would be a little fazed at being dominated by a demonically enhanced wolfmorph. Seems like the busty store owner is harboring a few fetishes under that composed demeanor.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
(Did I revert his physical changes along with his mental ones, or just mental?)

Ash lets out a large breath, staring at Cart for a few moments.  She had no idea that something like that would happen to him, she sort of wished she had never given him the potion... yet it was a necessary evil, to put it bluntly.  She turned to the Store owner and smiled. "Sorry about that... I didn't realize that would happen..." She mumbles, her eyes drooping back to Cart.  "He's going to be out for a while, isn't he?" She said with reluctance.  "Do you mind... if we stay here for the night?  I don't see us traveling until the morning and we have no where else to sleep..." 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(His appearance remains altered.)

The woman's mouth forms a firm line when you ask your request. Being a smuggler and purveyor of dark artifacts, you doubt that she entertains many guests. The dangerous contents of her shop aside, letting visitors become familiar with her operation ran the risk of attracting the authorities.

She let's out a sigh. "Alright, you can stay here for the night. This situation is as much my doing as anyone's, I suppose."

After covering the slumbering Cart with a blanket and stuffing a pillow under his head, she leads you past the counter into her living quarters. At the end of a dimly lit hallway, she opens a large door to a bedroom. The bed is littered with books and manuscripts, and a clawed tub in the corner is filled with a bubble bath. Judging by the puddle trail leading from the bathtub to the door, you must have interrupted the store owner bathing when you made your entrance.

"Just be careful clearing off the bed, some of that stuff is valuable. Oh, and if you get the urge to wander, I'd advise you didn't. Certain safety measures are activated past midnight, and it isn't safe for anyone but me to be out in the store afterwards." With that ominous warning, she bids you goodnight and goes to close the door. She pauses a moment. "I'm Siara by the way... I didn't plan on exchanging names but after everything... Well, I figured I owed it to you."

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
Ash follows the woman through the hallway and to her bedroom, catching sight of the littered objects throughout her room.  She wasn't very surprised, it reminded her of Kari a little bit.  Her thoughts changed to the cat morph.  She hoped that she was still alright. She'd have to just see for herself.  She looked to the Half-elf and nodded. "Don't worry, i'm quite used to it." She says with a smirk, turning back to the bed as she leaves, only for her to begin speaking again.  "Good to meet you, Siara.  I'm Asharoth." She returns with warm smile, turning to the bed and carefully making a spot for herself to sleep. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The bed is quite comfortable and it doesn't take long after you shut your eyes to drift off into sleep. Once or twice during the night, you wake into half-consciousness as your sharp ears pick out an errant bump or creak that doesn't quite mesh with the normal rhythms of the old shop space. It isn't enough to truly disturb your slumber and you quickly fall back asleep after each disturbance. Soon morning sunlight begins filtering in through a rather filthy skylight in the ceiling.

You remain for a moment, luxuriously warm in your sleeping position. A few more minutes and then-

What sounds like glass shattering removes any errant thoughts of sleeping in. You tip toe out of bed and down the hallway, following the irate banter of two familiar voices.

"Didn't I tell you to sit still!? Now look what you made me-"

"Look lady. I just woke up and I haven't the foggiest idea of where I am or who you are. So if you could just- H-hey cut that out!"

You turn a corner and step into a well-lit kitchen space. Cart sits hunched against the low ceiling, seated at a counter with a half finished bowl of porridge if front of him. The newly minted Direwolf morph is doing his best to extract himself from a flushed Siara who is brandishing a pair of calipers and a tape measure. Catching sight of you, they freeze in a comical position with Cart pressing gently against Siara's forehead and the half-elf merchant trying to take a measurement of Cart's upper thigh.

DaBomb

Aug 27, 2015
A bit bitter from being denied a few more moments of precious rest, Ash quickly walks toward the source of the sound, quickly catching sight of the two. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, Ash stares at the two for a few moments longer before opening her mouth.  "Did I arrive at a bad time?" She asks, her eyebrow raised in suspicion. She walks into the kitchen, ignoring the two. "Good Morning, Cart, Siara." She mutters in a cheerful tone, as she passes by, taking seat at an empty chair or spot if one isn't available. 

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Siara triumphantly finishes her measurement while Cart awkwardly shifts in his undersized seat, trying to make room for you. The large wolfmorph eyes his molester warily.

"You realize that without my measurements before the change, whatever you're scribbling in that notebook is pure guesswork at best."

Siara glances up indignantly from her notebook, pushing a pair of reading glasses back onto her nose. "I'll just use the typical average for a wolfman male of your age. This is too good a marketing opportunity to pass up. Some data is better than none after all." She flashes a wicked smile. "Besides, I wouldn't be much of a saleswoman if I didn't thoroughly assess the effects of my products. There's something... Invigorating about hands on work, don't you think?"

Cart coughs into his breakfast, his face turning a brilliant shade of scarlet. He mutters something unintelligible before turning to you.

"Madam pointy ears over there filled me in on most of the details... I-I didn't really expect you to stick around. I know you really wanted to get back to the border so... I guess, I'm trying to say thank you."