Your Gripes With CoC2

probehuntress

Oct 9, 2020
Okay there's a lot to unpack there.

I mean, corruption being less relevant, sure. I wouldn't want to be someone who mained a corrupt Champion in the last game because there's not nearly as much content for them in this game. But Kasyrra is not only a former minion of Lethice, but the creator of the faux-dragon girls Kiha was formerly part of. Plus almost every race in Mareth has a direct counterpart in Savarra, even if the lore behind them is quite different. And that's without counting characters who are clearly intended as references like Aileh.

They only remove or wall off content they deem to be lorebreaking, superfluous or where the writer who made it had a falling-out with the team, e.g. Etheryn and Hethia's original first meeting in which the latter shames the former for being half-sexed and mentions her grandfather, only for a later quest to reveal she had a half-sexed grandmother the druids revered; Berwyn being stripped of Companion status after Hugs-Alright's acrimonious split with Savin and co.

I'll readily concede that the Mad Cow quest requires you to have a temporary personality/intelligence transplant by aliens if you're not playing a heavily corrupted/Dark Knight character, but you seem to have forgotten about Vivianne's recruitment quest allowing you to let her turn into a demon. Granted I can't blame you because it doesn't really change her sex scenes that much. Not to mention you can let a cat demon bunk at your Wayfort, along with demon Jae'lyn and Sandre & Cae. There's room for plenty of corruption. Plus as I understand the corrupt paths for Hive and Centaur Village are still being worked on, even if they have maybe been in the oven for too long.

Oh they care. They care very much. The problems arose because this is a more ambitious game they're trying to make, they're doing several things differently instead of a direct, identical sequel to the original, both this and TiTS had to migrate their entire games from Adobe Flash to Javascript after the former was discontinued a couple years ago, and don't get me started on the COVID-19 Pandemic.

the name coc2 implies the inclusion of big coc themes like corruption and tf, spend any time in the corruption tag and its clear that it's not the focus of coc2. Its debatable that it's completely out of focus. yes corruption exists but nothing to get excited about, yet.. nevermind placating me, what would excite me is more than one character, fuck it a few, with a corruption arc, complete with the consequences of whatever corruption means to the setting. characters who react to your own corruption. straight up corruption gated content like the bazaar from coc. And a sprinkle of the way coc made corruption feel like a looming omnipotent threat on your doorstep, instead in coc2 where it just feels like something we'll deal with later i got 6 hoes in my dms rn and they all on throat wdym.

i think alot of the legwork in making coc corruption feel pervasive as it does was with its locations, and its tf's containing corruption at a much higher rate.

titles don't really mean anything outside of the game tho, atm i think of this one more as fenco 3 than coc2

slime-o-verse

Oct 6, 2021
This is something that's bothered me for quite a while. The pregnancy system as it applies to the pc feels undercooked. For one thing, no matter what my champion is pregnant with, how far along they are, or how many they're having, the game never acknowledges how big they should be. My 5'3"/63 inches, lean build champion who's a mere three days from delivering twin minotaurs should have a belly that's quite a bit bigger than "a woman in the later stages of her pregnancy", and it definitely shouldn't be "still small enough for easy portability". As someone who prefers to be pregnant as opposed to getting someone else pregnant, it's a letdown. It really feels like the pc's pregnancies aren't included out of any sense of passion or care for the kink, but because someone felt like it's supposed to be there and they're just checking the box. Sort of like "well TiTS has it so I guess we need to have it too."

Tiffye

Jul 17, 2023
Maybe I'm too invested bc tism and hyenas were something of a special interest but the gnolls are incorrect. Ik this game doesn't focus on having super accurate genitals per different race, such as races mixed with large herbivores all having horse dicks, but I think the gnolls can be worth making more accurate. I don't even really care about their stuff being labeled as "canine" even when they're actually genetically closer to felines, it's mainly just that the clit dick should actually be the vag itself as a pseudopenis, instead of a large clit + normal labia and vaginal opening

I know it's already fantasy and they're anthropomorphic and blah blah blah, but we frankly have plenty of canine adjacent races and characters to be able to fuck with the normal anatomy. Let more of the crazy cool anatomy of this sideline race come through and be even more unique

Also, while sort of going against what I've said since they'd be little more than the same basic canine males we have, more mention of male gnolls would be cool

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Well...
Brienne should have straight up been a different character. She doesn't really resemble Brint... at all. The means with which you get her seem to have initially been intended to be the "corrrupt" thing to do, but people love waifus too much to make turning a character into one a "bad" thing to do. It feels like we got the worst of both worlds on that front. The link to Brint is questionable, but the game plays it like it's not, so there's not even an angle to enjoy it from an "intentional asshole point of view.

As far as Quinn goes, I actually think more picky NPCs is a pretty good way to flesh them out. Sexuality IS an aspect of characterization, and more unique expressions of that can link into a character's experiences, and by extension, motivations. I understand he isn't the most popular companion, but frankly, anyone that isn't willing to submit to the champion exclusively or have sex only with people the champion approves of aren't going to be topping popularity charts. So the actual quality of the character... sort of doesn't matter. You can see this with Cait, whose popularity is fairly lacking compared to how involved she is with the story. Etheryn will probably drop a few places if there isn't a way to impregnate her, because some people don't care for surrogacy (makes them think they were "cucked") and they don't want to be impregnated. My personal opinion is that I'd rather players have to conform at least to SOME degree to partners. If certain things are deal breakers, you don't "need to pursue relationships with those characters. Like, I wouldn't ever want Cait to become Monagomous or constrain her partners based on what players "approve of".

Karakara

Feb 15, 2024
Well...
Brienne should have straight up been a different character. She doesn't really resemble Brint... at all. The means with which you get her seem to have initially been intended to be the "corrrupt" thing to do, but people love waifus too much to make turning a character into one a "bad" thing to do. It feels like we got the worst of both worlds on that front. The link to Brint is questionable, but the game plays it like it's not, so there's not even an angle to enjoy it from an "intentional asshole point of view.

As far as Quinn goes, I actually think more picky NPCs is a pretty good way to flesh them out. Sexuality IS an aspect of characterization, and more unique expressions of that can link into a character's experiences, and by extension, motivations. I understand he isn't the most popular companion, but frankly, anyone that isn't willing to submit to the champion exclusively or have sex only with people the champion approves of aren't going to be topping popularity charts. So the actual quality of the character... sort of doesn't matter. You can see this with Cait, whose popularity is fairly lacking compared to how involved she is with the story. Etheryn will probably drop a few places if there isn't a way to impregnate her, because some people don't care for surrogacy (makes them think they were "cucked") and they don't want to be impregnated. My personal opinion is that I'd rather players have to conform at least to SOME degree to partners. If certain things are deal breakers, you don't "need to pursue relationships with those characters. Like, I wouldn't ever want Cait to become Monagomous or constrain her partners based on what players "approve of".
What was the second part response to?

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
What was the second part response to?
The Quinn spiel was sort of just my general thoughts on the current discourse surrounding them. Cait specifically was just an example of "character that doesn't submit exclusively to the champion or restrict their sexual partners", which tend to put characters out of the running of most popular. My only point there is "if that isn't what makes sense for, or was initially intended for the character, I think there's more to be gained by fleshing out why characters behave, think, or act like that. Or their unique situations, like Etheryn.

Loveless

May 29, 2022
Cait is in the runner up for the most popular char in-game (she's contender for No. 1).

• Love
Reactions: waterpanther7

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Cait is in the runner up for the most popular char in-game (she's contender for No. 1).
Last I had heard, she was middle of the pack. Hm.

In any case, I don't really think Quinn's popularity is impacted all that much by his sexual options, or lack of certain ones. Personality wise, he's not really winning points in terms of compelling characterization compared to the rest of the companions, and aspects of how he's characterized sort of rub people the wrong way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that expanding his characterization, interactions, and backstory, would help his popularity more. By how much, who knows?

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
Ireland, dating OmegaUmbra
Last I had heard, she was middle of the pack. Hm.

In any case, I don't really think Quinn's popularity is impacted all that much by his sexual options, or lack of certain ones. Personality wise, he's not really winning points in terms of compelling characterization compared to the rest of the companions, and aspects of how he's characterized sort of rub people the wrong way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that expanding his characterization, interactions, and backstory, would help his popularity more. By how much, who knows?
I honestly think Quinn is just a poorly thought out character to begin with but he can possibly salvaged with further development. I honestly don't understand why Bubblelord got so angry at people complaining about him when he seems designed to be divisive and his character doesn't really make much sense. Plus he just feels like the ''no homo bro'' meme incarnate and Bubblelord didn't seem to realize that shouldn't be a characters personality forever. Character development is a thing and no letting us top him once on our wedding night doesn't count. It feels like the latter was just a sop to get people to stop complaining.

orropo

Jun 5, 2024
My gripe is that female champs dont have as many named kids as male champs, and I can explain, what I mean is for example Arona, when we impregnate arona its a named kid, but when arona impregnates us its just a nameless number in the nursery, completely understandable if a character doesn't have the equipment, but if they do then whats the difference which one of the two gives birth

(damn im dyslexic)

Last edited:

Karakara

Feb 15, 2024
In any case, I don't really think Quinn's popularity is impacted all that much by his sexual options, or lack of certain ones.
Oh I beg to differ!

Give me his bunny hole, or give me nothing at all!

On more serious noteL: If an update was released that is just Quinn having a couple of bottoming scenes without anything else, I would bet it would gain more of a buzz then one that involves us bottoming to him + relationship pregoression/quest line.

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
I honestly think Quinn is just a poorly thought out character to begin with but he can possibly salvaged with further development. I honestly don't understand why Bubblelord got so angry at people complaining about him when he seems designed to be divisive and his character doesn't really make much sense. Plus he just feels like the ''no homo bro'' meme incarnate and Bubblelord didn't seem to realize that shouldn't be a characters personality forever. Character development is a thing and no letting us top him once on our wedding night doesn't count. It feels like the latter was just a sop to get people to stop complaining.
Maybe I need to review his content again, it's been a while. Last I recalled, I couldn't really buy into his "casanova persona", and he felt more like a used car salesman with how he came across in his flirting. There were some interesting aspects of his experiences that could be potentially very interesting, but I don't think it was ever really fleshed out. But, broadly speaking, it just seems that as a character, his engagement with the player and others leads people to dislike him period. I can't really care about his sexual hangups if he's not very compelling as a character, and I think there's potential merit in expanding on those sexual hangups if work can be done to make him less... innately offputting. Or lean into it and have it be something naratively acknowledged rather than there being a disconnect between how players interpret him vs how he's meant to come across.

Last time we polled the backers, she was #3 (behind, predictably, Kiyoko and Brienne).

That is... very impressive. Especially considering that means she beat out Etheryn.
Well, I stand corrected. I guess the character expansion Cait got helped a good deal.

Oh I beg to differ!

Give me his bunny hole, or give me nothing at all!

On more serious noteL: If an update was released that is just Quinn having a couple of bottoming scenes without anything else, I would bet it would gain more of a buzz then one that involves us bottoming to him + relationship pregoression/quest line.

It might? I think it depends on if there's any plans to retool existing dialogue or how his existing characterization is handled going forward. I still think it's less significant than you think, the character's primary issue is that players find him offputting, but he's narratively meant to be a natural charmer (literally).

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
Maybe I need to review his content again, it's been a while. Last I recalled, I couldn't really buy into his "casanova persona", and he felt more like a used car salesman with how he came across in his flirting. There were some interesting aspects of his experiences that could be potentially very interesting, but I don't think it was ever really fleshed out. But, broadly speaking, it just seems that as a character, his engagement with the player and others leads people to dislike him period. I can't really care about his sexual hangups if he's not very compelling as a character, and I think there's potential merit in expanding on those sexual hangups if work can be done to make him less... innately offputting. Or lean into it and have it be something naratively acknowledged rather than there being a disconnect between how players interpret him vs how he's meant to come across.
Yeah the disconnect is definitely an issue, I think the sexual hangups he has were irrelevant in Bubblelords hands because he clearly didn't want to explore them all that much or if he did he didn't want to see him work through them in a meaningful way. I don't get why he was written this way, Bubblelord clearly didn't want Quinn to bottom if we go by his angry reactions to people asking for it and his limited compromise with the wedding night idea. Which is fine, but why even write him with this hangup about being a bottom and then basically half ass it by having him engage in it once and that's it? He could have just had him be a top, there was no need for this ''its not gay as long as I don't get fucked'' mentality. I don't mean to be a dick or overly harsh, after all he's not here to defend himself, but I don't understand what he was going for and frankly the way he always acted towards anyone who criticised Quinn and some of his other writing meant you couldn't really say anything when he was around without getting aggressive replies from him in return. That's the last I'll say on the topic, just felt like getting this off my chest.

Reactions: OmegaUmbra

VantagePoint

Sep 1, 2015
Yeah the disconnect is definitely an issue, I think the sexual hangups he has were irrelevant in Bubblelords hands because he clearly didn't want to explore them all that much or if he did he didn't want to see him work through them in a meaningful way. I don't get why he was written this way, Bubblelord clearly didn't want Quinn to bottom if we go by his angry reactions to people asking for it and his limited compromise with the wedding night idea. Which is fine, but why even write him with this hangup about being a bottom and then basically half ass it by having him engage in it once and that's it? He could have just had him be a top, there was no need for this ''its not gay as long as I don't get fucked'' mentality. I don't mean to be a dick or overly harsh, after all he's not here to defend himself, but I don't understand what he was going for and frankly the way he always acted towards anyone who criticised Quinn and some of his other writing meant you couldn't really say anything when he was around without getting aggressive replies from him in return. That's the last I'll say on the topic, just felt like getting this off my chest.
I don't even think he necessarily has to "work through them". His hangups could very easily be related to his experience in a sex cult, wherein putting yourself in the hands of someone else, sexually or otherwise, will potentially have unwanted consequences. Being part of a dubious sex cult, agreeing to sex on another's terms could essentially mean "I agree to any and everything that will happen to me during intercourse". Probably not exactly the most understanding group of people when it comes to revoking consent either.

But, then you have the paradox of him, essentially putting other potential partners in shoes he himself are uncomfortable with. There is some built in hypocrisy there that could be acknowledged and expanded upon. Whether it leads to him being more open to engaging with sex that aren't exclusively on his terms, I don't really mind what is chosen. Get me compelling characterization, less confused writing regarding how he is vs how he's supposed to be, and I'd like him more!

As a bit of a defense of Quinn's current sex hangups, I do think some people get... reductionist regarding a character's sexual roles. Brint doesn't really "need" an explanation for his preferences, because he's a stereotypially masculine guy. Quinn being somewhat effeminiate seems to just be a lightning rod of "can we fuck them in the ass yet?" requests. I feel like Quinn being more steretypically masculine would have likely tapered down some of the negative reception he recieved and people would question his lack of bottoming less.

Reactions: valk42

Loveless

May 29, 2022
It's actually impressive just how controversial a writer Bubble was. Having the Drider, Byvernia, Jen, Takahiro, Quin AND Leofric is frankly an insane record.

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
I don't even think he necessarily has to "work through them". His hangups could very easily be related to his experience in a sex cult, wherein putting yourself in the hands of someone else, sexually or otherwise, will potentially have unwanted consequences. Being part of a dubious sex cult, agreeing to sex on another's terms could essentially mean "I agree to any and everything that will happen to me during intercourse". Probably not exactly the most understanding group of people when it comes to revoking consent either.

But, then you have the paradox of him, essentially putting other potential partners in shoes he himself are uncomfortable with. There is some built in hypocrisy there that could be acknowledged and expanded upon. Whether it leads to him being more open to engaging with sex that aren't exclusively on his terms, I don't really mind what is chosen. Get me compelling characterization, less confused writing regarding how he is vs how he's supposed to be, and I'd like him more!

As a bit of a defense of Quinn's current sex hangups, I do think some people get... reductionist regarding a character's sexual roles. Brint doesn't really "need" an explanation for his preferences, because he's a stereotypially masculine guy. Quinn being somewhat effeminiate seems to just be a lightning rod of "can we fuck them in the ass yet?" requests. I feel like Quinn being more steretypically masculine would have likely tapered down some of the negative reception he recieved and people would question his lack of bottoming less.
Those are good points, I think we both recognize that the character needed more thought and development in general. Hopefully he can get that going forward and improve along with it. I don't think he'll ever be most peoples favourite character but he could at least become less abrasive.

Reactions: OmegaUmbra

Karakara

Feb 15, 2024
I think you're delusional :V
He is a bunny twink with no bottoming content. That is the unforgivable sin. His biggest one by far.

On more serious note -- sex sells and this is a porn game. And since most players play as guys or chicks with dicks, having a companion that has no content of us using it on him is a huge blow to his appeal.

So I do not believe I am that far gone.

PS: I did not know that Quin's writer was this controversial. Driad, Mercs, Jane, Sugo and Hive prince are quite popular with people from what I have seen.

Last edited:

Loveless

May 29, 2022
PS: I did not know that Quin's writer was this contreversial. Driad, Mercs, Jane, Sugo and Hive prince are quite popular with people from what I have seen.
Him randomly arguing with people in this Forum didn't help his reputation. He was also a rather subdued writer so he didn't really stick in one's mind except his most popular stuff which was also his most controversial. Compare that to Tobs who absolutely churns out content so you end up interacting with his writing one way or another. You'll be hard pressed to find "Rune Fans" or "Boomer Fans".

Karakara

Feb 15, 2024
Pfff, not me. If roles were reversed where Brint was one lacking in bottoming content while the bunny boy got more pipe then chemney sweaper, I would be the one banging the drum of"I want Brint to bottom." Musclular guys bottoming is top tier -- just ask bara artists!

To your point though, I agree that Quin being beffiminate male is why I and many others (but mostly I) say"bottom now." Which is why, returning to what jumpstarted my chain, I believe that us being denied that is one of his major pit-falls when it comes to being popular.