Willow Update! (Editors Needed)

Should I also make a hunky dragon character that resembles the Saurians of Warhammer?

• Fuck Yes! I love big hunky dragon dudes!

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Aw hell no. We have enough scalies!

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016

Alabaster Chimes

Aug 29, 2015
No offense to you, but Willow was single handedly the most borked character ever written. It has become a meme among memes on the Fenoxo Discord, and CONTENT IN THE DOC is a meme itself.

Fucking GRILLED CHEESE!!!

And the fucking Belt.

She was such a talked about dumpster fire she was removed after only 2 builds due to quality control.

That still didnt stop from other writers from having major issues with her, the regular community included:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZFRuXO8fow-QtJNsgPSXZqVnJ4xxv_AQyOl7cZJe9HY/edit?usp=drivesdk

That doc is basically everything wrong with Willow, but I'm sure we can go on for another 4 hours. Fucking grilled cheese....

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Shit, really? I... Didn't even know. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
You guys could have at least told me what you didn't like. It's my first time writing something.
I need guidance, and maybe if you had told me what to fix, I could have fixed it.

Reactions: Brock

Doots

Creator
Mar 24, 2017
now
I dont know much about Willow
not my thing
but what I do know is warhammer
and there is no Saurian race in warhammer. Saurian is the lizardmen language. the closest thing to Saurian would be the Saurus.

Gardeford

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You guys could have at least told me what you didn't like. It's my first time writing something.
I need guidance, and maybe if you had told me what to fix, I could have fixed it.
This whole thing was going on on the forums as well. They cant tell you if you arent looking. :p

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
I got busy with college. I didn't exactly have time to play the game anymore.

Plus, I did edit what I was told to edit. I'm not trying to defend the character here. If you guys think it was trash, you know better and it probably was. My issue is that while the editors were looking it over, they didn't bring any of the issues that you guys mentioned to light, so I went ahead and assumed everything was fine.
I submitted it, saw that it got in, and was happy. This is before I joined college and had a massive workload dumped on me.

B

Creator
Jul 13, 2016
I got busy with college. I didn't exactly have time to play the game anymore.
Bullshit. You have made twenty-three-thousand-four-hundred-seventy-eight posts on these forums. You've made 120 posts in the RP forums since last August, when you last posted anything related to Willow. You mean to tell me, in all that time you spent roleplaying, you couldn't once spend three minutes looking up Willow's reception?

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
A total. I've been on this forum for years mate.

And no I didn't, because:
1) I don't know where people post their opinions about certain characters
2) It was in and out. I'd pop in, reply, and leave. That's it. And none of the friends I have on the forum even dropped the slightest hint there was a negative reaction.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
I joined this forum literally just because there was a Roleplay forum. I went straight to that one, and never really browsed the others.

It was after a couple of people told me I should try my hand at writing that I decided "Okay you know what? I'm going to make a character for one of my favourite games! It's the least I can do to give back to the people who made my teenage years fun."

So I decided to write up Willow. Editors told me there was stuff to fix, and I fixed it. I was extremely nervous about submitting this, and now I can see my nervousness was fully justified.

And, of course, I'm being ripped apart for not keeping up with the project. No, I didn't expect you guys to do my work for me, and no, I did care about the character. I thought people here would be a little understanding of the fact that this was my very first work, my very first submission, and I would need a guiding hand.

Reactions: Brock

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
And no I didn't, because:
1) I don't know where people post their opinions about certain characters
Bruh, there's the Fenoxo homepage where there's practically a comment section on the blog updates there. Idk how you didn't notice that, do you not check the blog posts? That's pretty much where the bulk of content feedback happens.

Last edited:

QuietCoyote

Aug 12, 2017
I joined this forum literally just because there was a Roleplay forum. I went straight to that one, and never really browsed the others.

It was after a couple of people told me I should try my hand at writing that I decided "Okay you know what? I'm going to make a character for one of my favourite games! It's the least I can do to give back to the people who made my teenage years fun."

So I decided to write up Willow. Editors told me there was stuff to fix, and I fixed it. I was extremely nervous about submitting this, and now I can see my nervousness was fully justified.

And, of course, I'm being ripped apart for not keeping up with the project. No, I didn't expect you guys to do my work for me, and no, I did care about the character. I thought people here would be a little understanding of the fact that this was my very first work, my very first submission, and I would need a guiding hand.
If you truly care, you'll get your best critique from the doc that AlabasterChimes posted. A summary is essentially: the dialogue and most of the sex is either cringe inducing or uncomfortable, not to mention certain situations should absolutely not be included

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
If you truly care, you'll get your best critique from the doc that AlabasterChimes posted. A summary is essentially: the dialogue and most of the sex is either cringe inducing or uncomfortable, not to mention certain situations should absolutely not be included

I agree, but... Honestly, I'm not sure I want to continue writing for the game. Not if this is the reaction I get for literally the first thing I make.

Er, there's the Fenoxo homepage where there's practically a comment section on the blog updates there. Idk how you didn't notice that, do you not check the blog posts? That's pretty much where the bulk of content feedback happens. >.>

Not really. I actually just have the RP forum open in one tab. That's it. I haven't swung by the homepage in months.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I agree, but... Honestly, I'm not sure I want to continue writing for the game. Not if this is the reaction I get for literally the first thing I make.
Okay, a quick look and I see that you're 19.
Take this a lesson, whatever you do in life, you will face criticism on whatever work you do. Some of it will be incredibly harsh, some of it will be nasty, but nearly all of it will be useful. What will really matter is how you take that criticism and how you deal with it.

What has been said here, yeah, its a overload of information from your perspective. But at the same time, writers and contributors to the game have taken the time to point out what needs some work and why. You've also learned that you need to manage projects better, something that will help you in your studies. No criticism about the work comes from a vacuum, the writers here have done this before, they've made mistakes, they have been called out on them and they have learned from them. Take those lessons on board and learn from their experience.

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
I'm just gonna be blunt here: I don't believe it's so much the fact that you wrote your first project you wrote, because everyone has their firsts, with varying degrees of success of course, but everyone is on you about the way it was handled.

When @Upcast Drake took up the job coding your project, he had an extremely hard time trying to do so because of a lot of things either missing in the doc (especially stuff pertaining to what you envisioned via a coding standpoint), or stuff that just didn't make sense, like there were missing tooltips or transitions between certain scenes, certain situations that draw questions to the character or lore, etc. It was pretty much to the point that he was editing your project as well as coding it, which was a very frustrating process for him. (I will say though on the editing front, usually it's not until the character makes it into the game anyways is when feedback like this tends to rear it's ugly head, and rarely beforehand. That's why you have to take a considerable amount of time self-editing and requesting feedback.)

From what I heard, he had a very limited amount of feedback from you where you'd simply hand wave small fixes or just simply acknowledge what Upcast needed you to fix before you'd disappear for hours or days at a time, and this was before the supposed period that you were busy. There wasn't any point that you actively worked alongside him at the same time to fix all of Willow's problems he pointed out that he got to the point that he went to Fen and simply gave up on her. So... A lot of problems definitely weren't fixed contrary to what you're claiming, otherwise Upcast would have had no problems coding.

Now this wasn't completely your fault, but it was pretty much months later that another volunteer coder took the reins and coded Willow while she was the mess that she was, while dumping some of their own shit in the pile that was never communicated to you.

It's just for all the months that she was in review/coding limbo and afterward, there was very little activity on your part, especially after Upcast stopped coding her that ultimately screamed out that you simply just didn't care enough. I don't imagine one is so entirely busy that you can't search your own topic for literally one minute, or search "Willow" on the forum so know how she is doing, especially since you admit having a forum tab open all of the time. This is mainly why everyone is on your ass about this. Contrary to what you may think, you're being careless with your own project.

This isn't to say that she or this situation isn't fixable. I'd very highly suggest fixing what is broken and read the feedback provided to you and work to fix those issues before adding anything else. Everyone's given you plenty to work with; Refine your skills as a writer.

Last edited:

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
The most holiest of grounds
I think you were used to the mindset that you're writing from the perspective of a very specific character you would use for whatever RP you would be engaged in and didn't take into consideration that there would be many perspectives and personalities that would engage in the content you create. If it was that then I wouldn't fault you too much.

I will however say that just because people didn't like one of your things it doesn't mean you should quit. Heck, I have a pretty disheartening success/failure rate and I'm still going. One success out of six. One abandoned. At least Butt Bugs are still in, my own first(also a mess in the beginning mind you). To be viscerally honest I feel like I was taken pity on with that, something that has tendency to give a nagging negative feeling. I still write despite this. Just don't burn a bridge you don't know if you can cross yet, is all I'm saying.

My advice is that you should try to improve where possible and continue trying, while being a bit more attentive to any work you do and all things connected.

Last edited:

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Well... If you guys are okay with it, I'll still need help on fixing it... So... If someone is willing to help, I'd consider taking it up again. If not, well... Might be best to just let it die.

Thank you for the support.

Also, about that thing with Drake, I was trying to keep in touch with him on the forums, but it was mostly just me being a dense idiot and not understanding what he was trying to get me to fix.

coldmonkey

May 11, 2016
Personally I rather liked Willow as a character, her personality was fine and I liked how she stayed consistent even after some pretty rough subbing. I seem to recall liking the sex scenes (although it's been awhile since y'know, removed from the game and all) but apart from some text editing issues I would mostly just like a bit more warning about what kind of sex my Steele is about to end up in. It felt like all the hardcore stuff came almost out of nowhere. Foreshadowed, perhaps, but not enough to give me an idea of what was about to unfold. The wind-up and character introductions and such also have to serve as a bit of exposition to beat the readers in the face with, since all the blood has left our brains for uh, other pastures.

I also think it's a bit hilarious that you hadn't noticed that she was removed long ago, but damn, this must've been a rough way of finding out. I did wonder why she never got those edits, so I guess this explains it. I would quite like to see her return.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Personally I rather liked Willow as a character, her personality was fine and I liked how she stayed consistent even after some pretty rough subbing. I seem to recall liking the sex scenes (although it's been awhile since y'know, removed from the game and all) but apart from some text editing issues I would mostly just like a bit more warning about what kind of sex my Steele is about to end up in. It felt like all the hardcore stuff came almost out of nowhere. Foreshadowed, perhaps, but not enough to give me an idea of what was about to unfold. The wind-up and character introductions and such also have to serve as a bit of exposition to beat the readers in the face with, since all the blood has left our brains for uh, other pastures.

I also think it's a bit hilarious that you hadn't noticed that she was removed long ago, but damn, this must've been a rough way of finding out. I did wonder why she never got those edits, so I guess this explains it. I would quite like to see her return.

Honestly, I agree with the others that the interaction left a lot to be desired. I was thinking, if I redo her, I'm going to keep the sex scenes and the gifting scenes, but I'm going to scrap literally every line from the beginning and start over. Her behaviour stays the same, but you know... Less cheesy now.

And I should probably ask others before I write stuff about the lore.