What're You Playing?

Discussion in 'Mainstream Games' started by CallistheCalloused, Nov 26, 2016.

1. null_blank

null_blank Well-Known Member

I'm just going to have to say this: Red Dead 2 is far and beyond superior to the original Red Dead. Rockstar took a lot of familiar mechanics from RDR1 and GTA 5 and refined the shit out of them. Hands down beats God of War 4 for console GOTY.

Weapons customization: crazy. Unlike GTA 5, older weapons are still viable as the game progresses. I love this. There are also unique custom weapons you can get from doing quests in the game.
    Clothing, hair and beard customization: crazy
    Horse customization: the only thing I don't like about the horse mechanics is perma-death. It's annoying to bond with a new horse over and over again.
    Story: good, I'm not sure I care for the implication that the MC gets knocked out and struggle-snuggled in some rando encounter
    Voice acting: awesome. A couple of people get a bit hammy but over-all
    Casting: insane. They got Cantonese-speaking voice actors to do the voices of the people in Chinatown and Cantonese dialect is historically accurate for 1899. There are plenty of non-English (Polish, German) speaking characters throughout the game that really adds to the feel of the game.
    Overworld: great.
    Music: great.

Thing I didn't like:
    Deadeye is aim-bot bullshit for console plebs and people that can't git gud.
    Finding the sweet spot for acceleration and dead spots for manual aim-tuning was a bitch-and-a-half.
    Stupid fucking half-scripted events where a woman with a knife can auto-kill you if she gets too close.
    It's a pain in the ass to loot because everything is scattered about all over the place. You can turn on a hunter-vision to see lootable items glow but I still find it annoying enough to comment on
    Garbage collection: Xbox and PS4 aggressively despawn corpses and other things (like a runaway horse & carriage) if you wait too long or run out of your LOD. But if someone shoots a hole in your hat it keeps the hole texture there. Priorities, man.

2. null_blank

null_blank Well-Known Member

Just came here to post that the PC version of Fallout 76 is going to be full of cheaters. lol

1. No encryption between FO76 servers and client, traffic is sent over as plain text. LOL
    2. Critical game files on the client are not encrypted
    3. Game is vulnerable to memory manipulation apps like Cheat Engine

It's gonna be fun.

3. ScarletteKnight

ScarletteKnight Well-Known Member

I couldn't think of anything else and started up Skyrim. I'm an archer, because of course I am, and can't decide which unique bow I should use. I could alternatively use the Bound Bow + perks and poison, or create an OP custom bow. Figured I had no place better to help me decide.

And in case I get bored of Skyrim, recommend other titles on PS4 where you can be an aimless adventurer, even if you have to ignore the main quest to do it. Bethesda games don't count, because I already have them.

4. Evil

Evil Well-Known Member

- Level up your alchemy and your enchanting.
    - Make a potion to boost your enchanting.
    - Use said potion and enchant an item to boost your alchemy.
    - Equip said item and repeat a couple of more times, the idea being you're boosting one to raise the other and so on.
    - Enchant an item to improve your smithing.
    - Make a god-tier bow that will one-shot most enemies!

5. Regardless

Regardless Member

Dragon's Dogma? Pretty good character creator and companion creator too. It's one of those games like the Just Cause games that I never finish but will play from the start every once in a while because it's just that much fun to do very little in.

6. ScarletteKnight

I just finished it again not long ago, but an excellent choice.

7. Gigas_Magus

Gigas_Magus Active Member

Skyrim is pretty great. I think there are some mods on PS4 where you can get elemental arrows, and I used to have one that featured explosive fish arrows. It was pretty funny because at the start of the game when Lokil would try to escape from the Imperials, a guard would shoot him with an explosive arrow and you could see his body fly off in the distance. Heh.

Sometimes when I get tired of it, I'll delete and redownload it sometime later to see if there are any new, worthwhile mods (the few we get on PS4).

Other games where you can be an adventurer:
    Final Fantasy XIV
    Journey (A very short indie game, but fits the bill of being an aimless wanderer.)
    Tom Clancy's The Division (I haven't played it since release, but I hear it's good these days.)
    Trove (Free-to-play, if you're into the minecraft-like stuff.)
    Absolver (A bit short on content, but otherwise great.)
    Shadow of the Colossus

Unrelated recommendation:
    Warframe (Free-to-play. If you don't mind the grinding aspect, this is one of the better games I've played on PS4, period.) Especially with Fortuna coming soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #277 Gigas_Magus, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  8. ScarletteKnight

I have Absolver, and I love my combat deck, but it got repetitive fighting against copycat decks.

I've also beaten Shadow of the Colossus twice now, good stuff.

I think I'll try the free games though.

Gigas_Magus likes this.
  9. Monster Queen

Monster Queen Member

I'm playing Spyro: The Reignited Trilogy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. A79

A79 Well-Known Member

I just dug up an old Interplay title I never knew about. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. It's basically a hybrid of the systems used for Fallout and Baldur's Gate. Pretty happy with it so far.