What are your thoughts on Berwyn being removed from the party?

What are your thoughts on Berwyn being removed from the party?

• Total voters

GOI

Nov 16, 2016
no difference in feeling if they did that to any of the girls at all if gotten the same treatment if they get abandoned

Forget Me Knot

Nov 14, 2018
Through the Looking Glass
It's taken me a while to come to terms with Berry's removal as a party member. I would be lying if I said that I was pleased or even remotely happy with this decision. Although Berry served a niche sexual role, I hold fond memories of him because I found him quite entertaining and hoped to someday see more character development for him. From what I've heard, B has accomplished this—albeit not in a way that will satisfy everyone (this thread alone is proof enough of that)—and I just want to quickly thank them for their efforts. For personal reasons, I will not be touching Berry Quest 2 at this time—I'd much rather prefer to wait for Berry's old content to be implemented back in for his post-quest state—but a thank you to B, nevertheless, for bringing some life back into Berry after such a long content-drought. Lastly, while I am not exactly tickled pink that yet another flavor of stacked lady is to become a party member, I hope that Viv's writer will do a good job and make her a fun addition. Best of luck to them!

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Easy for you to say when it's about a character you are not interested in. I bet 100 bucks if a female companion were to receive the same treatment you and a lot of others would be nonstop conplaining and moaning about it too.
No, I really wouldn't, I understand that things need to change. And I know that crying about it will do fucking nothing, because I'm an adult not a child.

Reactions: GOI and Malidica

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
Bro, i'm challenging a hot take. Not even being toxic here.

Orange Juice Jones

Jul 21, 2017
I'd say bad because we've actually got some character development from Berwyn which actually makes me want to take him along as a companion when I've never had the interest to before. Which I can't do now, so that sucks.

wallysquid93

Feb 21, 2019
I’m sad about it because it’s my favorite character and I really like him as a party member. Honestly I’d rather take him as stagnant character who was my follower rather than fleshed out and a NPC. Plus there isn’t many options in the male follower department, have that same complaint about Trials in Tainted Space either Futa’s or Girls le sigh.

I think the decision was bad but not one I don’t understand considering the complications. In the meantime, think I am gonna stick with the older version for awhile. Kinda get my fill before I move on.

asdfghjwww

Apr 2, 2022
Yeeeeeeeeah I'm definitely not happy with the change. Was only really interested in this game because so many others have little to no dude content. Started feeling like this game was starting to do the same. Made an account just to scope things out and make sure I wasn't being overdramatic in my assessment. But unfortunately it looks like it's "just like all the others". I get why this decision was made. But removing one of the only male companions and confirming that there'd be yet another women replacing him leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This on top of seeing that there's apparently NO ONE on the team who likes or is willing to make content that isn't female/futa focused kinda blows.

I guess I'm back to searching for games.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
Yeeeeeeeeah I'm definitely not happy with the change. Was only really interested in this game because so many others have little to no dude content. Started feeling like this game was starting to do the same. Made an account just to scope things out and make sure I wasn't being overdramatic in my assessment. But unfortunately it looks like it's "just like all the others". I get why this decision was made. But removing one of the only male companions and confirming that there'd be yet another women replacing him leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This on top of seeing that there's apparently NO ONE on the team who likes or is willing to make content that isn't female/futa focused kinda blows.

Seriously Vivian isn't a fucking replacement, she was planned long before this.

Karamaru

Jan 31, 2021
Sad to see a party member go but than again I rarely used to him, on the bright side I get to see and learn more of the Order Astrida and confirm some of my suspicions about them and open more questions.

Catmint

Aug 3, 2022
But under such circumstances it feels like she is.

I like Viv, but I understand why some players are a bit miffed about the change--she seems like she's filling in the space that Berry left. Which might not be true, but some people really liked Berwyn as a companion.

UndyingRevenant

Feb 23, 2021
Anybody can look at forums and time stamps and see she was announced prior, but you can surely see where people are coming from, with 1., doing a major quest and mechanic for Berwyn, while talking about a new writer taking them on, without ever mentioning they'd be removed from the party system or suffer any loss of content or combat variety, until the actual literal patch came out and you get "oh by the way berwyns been upgraded to a npc" and 2. you'd generally expect major content like party members, especially one of the few male ones, to be replaced instead of completely removed with no additional companion planned to fill in the content void (yes I'm aware deadlines are over, we don't need to repeat that 12 more times trying to sound smug, but having a love interest party member removed, in a party based rpg system, with nothing to eventually replace him, is quite obviously going to rub people the wrong way unless they're someone who is a yes man, afraid of or wanting to seek approval from creators by accepting any alteration without complaint or with applause, which is disrespectful to the creators anyway treating them like children).

Easiest example to use that people have probably played or heard enough of is Mass Effect, and the Berwyn decision is as if they built up, say Garrus, to mass effect 2, then directly after saving him the game was updated for him to be removed as a party member, and to sit on the ship and be interactable. Anybody could see that would be a problem for the many fans of the character and anybody could see why people would think a new upcoming party member would look an awful lot like a replacement, instead of considering there actually being nothing at all but a content void as one.

It disappoints a chunk of the fanbase at best. Yes CoC2 is a smut game (when there's not 12 more paragraphs of politics, trauma, abuse, murder, suicidal ideation, family drama and philosophy-lite) Yes Berwyn is still in the game, but him being removed from the party and a one-note halloween easter egg lookin' npc like v being promoted to final party member will look weird. a party member isn't exactly a piece of equipment, and with an increasing number of npcs being abandonware literally or figuratively, it looks bad to can characters that have been in the game long enough to build fanbases while adding in more and more npcs, metaphorically building tall instead of wide. if his gender options caused so many problems and parsing issues that it caused writing for him to be too hard and forced him to have a lesser role in everything it probably shouldn't have went through in the first place, no matter how cool it is for a couple days.

GOI

Nov 16, 2016
your right they should have just straight up removed him from the game from failing to meet requirements along with his first quest

also it would be more like after his first quest in mass effect 1 Garrus had no input on the rest of the game and no growth whatsoever during it but then they did more with him in mass effect 2 but made him a NPC like Ashely or Kaiden just with less work put into him to start with

orange64

Jan 16, 2022
Not going to lie, I'm 95% lost on what was asks to everyone.

I mean.. wasn't this forum just asking everyone on there thoughts on how you feel about Berwyn being removed from the party?.
Not all this, he's being replace by someone else or what not.

Look at that end of the day like it or not, where all are not going to like the answer that we see or get.

But can we pleas just go back to the topic at hand.
Before it brakes into a mass of people being but hurt that Berwyn is a NPC again.

QTPie

Mar 20, 2020

I'd say bad because we've actually got some character development from Berwyn which actually makes me want to take him along as a companion when I've never had the interest to before. Which I can't do now, so that sucks.
These two echo most of what I’d have to say on the subject. Character and development serve to give the smut context— as a result, if a character is traveling with you and you’re exposed to an NPC for an extended period of time, that companion is going to require a surplus of content to avoid going stale. The fact that a companion was removed for ‘too much content’ feels oxymoronic to me. I’m aware it’s an oversimplification but it’s still accurate to a degree and it makes me worried about future companion content.

On top of that, we’re now short a male character on the roster, and it’s contributing to a feeling of genericness. With Quint not having had regular updates either quite frankly Wsan’s my only hope at this point.

As a side note, the fact that the devs knew that Berwyn would be losing his companion status as early as the very beginning and just decided to let us think we were getting a companion with this quantity of content is upsetting to say the least.

Reactions: asdfghjwww

TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 21, 2015
These two echo most of what I’d have to say on the subject. Character and development serve to give the smut context— as a result, if a character is traveling with you and you’re exposed to an NPC for an extended period of time, that companion is going to require a surplus of content to avoid going stale. The fact that a companion was removed for ‘too much content’ feels oxymoronic to me. I’m aware it’s an oversimplification but it’s still accurate to a degree and it makes me worried about future companion content.

On top of that, we’re now short a male character on the roster, and it’s contributing to a feeling of genericness. With Quint not having had regular updates either quite frankly Wsan’s my only hope at this point.

As a side note, the fact that the devs knew that Berwyn would be losing his companion status as early as the very beginning and just decided to let us think we were getting a companion with this quantity of content is upsetting to say the least.
No, it's not accurate to any degree. Have you read the front page or any of the posts in this thread? Berwyn was removed because his writer, who had a habit of leaving, left once again and was refused to be allowed to continue writing his character. As a result Savin didn't want to burden another writer with a companion that wasn't theirs and the decision was made to cut Berwyn as a companion. This decision not to tell the community that Berwyn would no longer be a companion was most likely made so that they wouldn't have to listen to people bitching and complaining for over a year while the content was still being written.

AStrangeGeek

Jul 14, 2022
For the last fucking time, Viviane is not a replacement for Berwyn. That is a wildly disrespectful and outright incorrect thing to say about a writer's companion.
To be fair, the person who posted is new and might not have read all the existing threads and thus not know all the history. I was lurking for some time before I made an account, so I had the advantage of stumbling across that information. I could see where to some it might feel like a replacement even though it's not.

asdfghjwww

Apr 2, 2022
Gonna be real with ya'll. Even going back and reading when I had the didn't really change my feeling on the subject. Like I get it can be frustrating that so many people keep repeat the same incorrect statement, but surely you can see where people like me are coming from. Viviane filling the same combat niche as Berwyn while he's being removed as a party member makes her feel like a replacement even when she's clearly not. I (and many other probably but I can't speak for them) wouldn't be as miffed if she also filled for him as another male companion. But she isn't and we'll probably never get another one. So it's basically a net negative for anyone who likes having dudes in the party.

Regardless it's not like our feelings are gonna change anything so it's whatever.

wallysquid93

Feb 21, 2019
Reading through the comments kinda really killed my mood to play the game anymore. I was sad about the decision but now reading through things here, I dunno got pretty bitter about it now. He will be missed, hopefully the devs change their mind and someone voluntarily takes him back up or someone mods him back in. Not gonna force a change though, their game their choice and an understandable one. Back to TiTs I suppose, support them through that one.

Reactions: Emerald

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
someone mods him back in
Yeah thats not happening, mods are never happening for this.
someone voluntarily takes him back up
Boats sailed for that, hes an NPC because no one ones to be shackled with a companion that wasnt made by them because as its been stated, comanions take a lot of work. Look at Savin, he has 3 and man, has that caused issues for him. But as I stated before, the berwyn lovers said nothing until he was removed then they seem to think its an attack on them when they really dont understand what writing a companion is like at all.

wallysquid93

Feb 21, 2019
Yeah thats not happening, mods are never happening for this.

Boats sailed for that, hes an NPC because no one ones to be shackled with a companion that wasnt made by them because as its been stated, comanions take a lot of work. Look at Savin, he has 3 and man, has that caused issues for him. But as I stated before, the berwyn lovers said nothing until he was removed then they seem to think its an attack on them when they really dont understand what writing a companion is like at all.
No company can stop mods my friend. Probably won’t happen but if they do you aren’t stopping them.

As for the latter I’d of felt the same for any character and expect a similar response from people who lose their favored companions.

Not sure if you were trying to provoke me or something but I already accepted he’s gone as a companion but I will hope that changes. Sailed ships can dock sometimes.

wery12345

Aug 1, 2021
No I was just explaining it, also unless your willing to go on extremely shady websites your not finding mods here.

leomax

Dec 3, 2017
i never used him really so its fine. I wish there was another summoner mage rep character though, unless i missed someone this whole time

UndyingRevenant

Feb 23, 2021
i never used him really so its fine. I wish there was another summoner mage rep character though, unless i missed someone this whole time
The current primary replacement is briennes pyromancer kit, but she doesn't have off heal potential and is instead basically a tank with extra steps. Etheryns base kits pretty close but is a hybrid. I assume at the very least theyll give one of the party members a Berwyn copycat kit because the amount of summoners is very very low. His schtick was a summoner with a summon based ult so with his removal and v supposedly being primarily a healer, the only options are doing it yourself or using a kit, similarly to einen being cancelled doing the same thing for melee thieves. Party has several flavors of healers and tanks, minimal pure dps and summoners.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
The only thing Berwyn really has over Ryn or Brienne is his Ultimate, which isn't likely to get ported over to anybody else because nobody's ult changes due to gear sets even when the rest of their focus does. He's as much a hybrid as Ryn insofar as his set gave him a mix of weak Fire damage, Psychic damage and Group Heal, while she has multiple Frost attacks and Group Heal. Berry's damage types are every bit as mixed, making him useful in a broad variety of situations but he doesn't focus on anything except 'make my summon better'. Brienne also handily spanks him in Spellpower, making her (much more focused) non-summon powers more effective and in any battle lasting longer than a few turns, she'll roundly beat Berwyn at magical DPS so long as the enemy doesn't resist Fire damage.

Reactions: Karamaru and Savin