What are your thoughts on Berwyn being removed from the party?

What are your thoughts on Berwyn being removed from the party?

• Total voters

wallysquid93

Feb 21, 2019
No I was just explaining it, also unless your willing to go on extremely shady websites your not finding mods here.
I’ll probably do my own personal modding, nothing special when and if Vivian comes if they fill that same role. Just do some editing and swapping which should just be cosmetic and not touch it mechanically. Not perfect but ehh it’ll do me just fine.

Edit: Oooo you know what? The files for the companion Berwyn exist so I dunno might try doing something more complicated for once. Should be a fun experiment so why not? No promises for anyone reading this and getting hopeful though, never done anything for a game beyond editing dialogue and swapping models lol.

Last edited:

Karamaru

Jan 31, 2021
Brienne also handily spanks him in Spellpower, making her (much more focused) non-summon powers more effective and in any battle lasting longer than a few turns, she'll roundly beat Berwyn at magical DPS so long as the enemy doesn't resist Fire damage.
No kidding, fire Brienne is an absolute beast in battle and one of my go to spell casters next to Kiyoko.

Greyfox643

May 20, 2016
Due to content draught for the character, this was the best option to move forward.

It isn't fair to any other writer to have to make a feature-complete companion, in addition to what they want to write.

Narrative wise, it was handled elegantly ingame.

And the surprise decision to do so, while it feels shitty. Was also the right call.

We're at 5 pages in this topic alone, not to mention all of the other AM ANGY ME NO LIEK posts in the forum... could you have imagined a year of that?

No, no thank you.

At the end of the day, all companions should have content for EVERY major Quest, and interactions with Main Plot-line NPCs. It's a bar that the devs set themselves, and Wynne slipped below after many updates.

Bast

Aug 12, 2021
People really like this game and care about it. Their reactions to the "Berry patch" does show that. Wouldn't have triggered such a reaction from the player base if this wasn't the case.

The team behind the game can be really proud of themselves, even if the reactions to the patch were mostly negative.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I love Berwyn but I always favor my team of Cait and Brint so he never saw any use, so it doesn’t really change anything for me. Though I agree it sucks regardless we have even less male companions now from an already limited pool and I do feel bad for people who have him on their main team though who suddenly have him poofed out as a companion. But that said, I’m just glad he finally has a conclusion to his arc and we can at least still visit him and all.

213Warrior

Jan 14, 2022
I voted bad, I liked him, he was a fun character in my opinion, and I enjoyed having him in my party.

Of course, after reading the reasons the devs did remove him, I'm more mixed in my feelings, I understand why, but I still dislike how we lost another male party member. Of course, it's not my game, so I can't change what's happened.

That being said, I think there's a way to play older versions.

Last edited:

Zavos

May 7, 2016
I gotta reiterate that while loosing a male companion sucks in principle, in practice Berry being cut was a long time coming. Companions are long term commitments that demand additional iteration and maitenence during the game's lifespan, which Barry was cut off from after the HugsAlright drama. While there was some hope that B! would adopt Berry, its entirely understandable that it didn't happen.

Reactions: Aurastrasza

TheDevilYouKnow

Oct 21, 2015
Also, late to this but:

And SKoW, fwiw
Technically I'm full-time and a writer, but I have too many other hats to count as a full-time writer, but
I actually saw that SKoW was a staff writer on the wiki around the time that I posted that, but couldn't find anything confirming that she was. Good to know going forward at the very least.

Fair enough. I just sort of lumped you into the coder side of things in my head despite being aware of your writing as well.

BulmaCz

Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic - Prague
I'm not very happy about it. Just recently I was thinking that it could use a little more men and suddenly he's an NPC. Well, I'm glad that at least they left him there and closed his character somehow. On the other hand, it doesn't bother me too much. If it's the developers' decision, I'm fine with it. I can't see behind the curtain and I have no idea how demanding development is, so let them do what they need to do and what they think is better. :) (Ok but doing it with Brint would probably cause me to have a hysterical attack :D )

BlazeAize

Mar 20, 2022
Me personally i am 50 50 on it. Berry was fine but i never interacted with him all that much because he was a guy (and im not into femboys or guys) but since i could just not interact with him (out of sight) i didnt mind him. As how i am with games that get changed to get more "main stream" appeal, I'm a bit sad on behalf of the ladies and gents that loved him as he was as well as the fact that its 1 less guy that they can have on the team as well as guy in the game as a whole. With his update I'm personally a bit sad that he/she is no longer a companion since i'd like to have him/her on the team now and interact with him/her more since I always was curious about his content.

BlazeAize

Mar 20, 2022
Easy for you to say when it's about a character you are not interested in. I bet 100 bucks if a female companion were to receive the same treatment you and a lot of others would be nonstop conplaining and moaning about it too.
i relate to that irritation for totally different reasons haha

213Warrior

Jan 14, 2022
Easy for you to say when it's about a character you are not interested in. I bet 100 bucks if a female companion were to receive the same treatment you and a lot of others would be nonstop conplaining and moaning about it too.
I actually agree with this last part. If Berywn was a girl, I feel like more people would whine.

AceofSpades

Apr 15, 2016
I'm pretty bummed that he's removed. Not so much for his combat roles, but just because his dom/sub mechanic was super fun and I loved his bad end. And it was cute seeing him and Cait interact lol.

Though I do hope that Viv is fleshed out enough that she'll be able to turn into a dude. I would accept a hunky nerd mage named Victor to fill the Berwyn hole. And other holes.

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
I'm pretty bummed that he's removed. Not so much for his combat roles, but just because his dom/sub mechanic was super fun and I loved his bad end. And it was cute seeing him and Cait interact lol.

I'll admit that it's been a few weeks since I last played (shame on me), but I recall that Berwyn is just removed as a party member. You should still be able interact with him (or her if you so choose).

My thoughts on the matter: I'm ambivalent. Losing a party member is a pity, but I'd rather B not have to take up the mantle and develop two battle companions.

Drakani

Jul 15, 2020
you know if they removed Berwyn because of "Meta" that mean they are going to remove Quintillus

• Sad
Reactions: Emerald

TheIrishOtaku

Nov 14, 2021
Ireland, dating OmegaUmbra
you know if they removed Berwyn because of "Meta" that mean they are going to remove Quintillus
But they didn't change him from a companion to an npc because of Meta, they did so because his original writer left (amid personal drama) after leaving the character to stagnate for ages and they didn't want to burden another author with the responsibility of yet another companion when they already had their own to work on. Its highly unlikely Quin will be removed because the situations are totally different, Quins author is continuing to update the character, he received more content relatively recently in fact and new stuff for him is also on the docket for the future.

wallysquid93

Feb 21, 2019
When I am done with my Cyberpunk binge I might see how I can fiddle with some of the pre update files to put him as a companion again. Still no promises, not sure how the devs feel about modifications either so if it’s okay with them, if I figure a way I will share it.

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
Upside, anyone that likes Quin just got a nice chunk of new content for, maybe pushed forward to make up for the loss of Berry? The loss of Berry as a companion for me wasn't bothersome considering I RARELY used him since I usually play mages, but I can understand peoples frustrations.

IraMorti

Dec 5, 2017
Didn't feel like it was completely likely, but still an interesting bit of timing that we get more companion boy stuff after a part of the community is upset for the removal of companion boy stuff. Haha.

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
I know everyone will act like it was related, but it wasn't; most of my Quin content in the chamber has BEEN done, but I had so much shit going on up until about 1 to 2 months ago that I I wasn't able to do much of any writing no matter how small. I didn't even know Berwyn had been removed until I was back and finalizing parts of Quin. I hadn't even logged onto the forums in like a year+.

Edit: To clarify, this content was finished to basically 90-95% and just needed small additions to it + review for fixing. Like a LOT of my shit (Leofric) currently is.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Give any hint that modding can be done, and modders break the game to pieces and whine to the official devs about it. Fenoxo is mostly indifferent/ignores it, but Savin takes a hard stance to nip this in the bud.

If you want your unofficial content to be in the game, go through the official community submitted content processes.

Reactions: Aurastrasza

wallysquid93

Feb 21, 2019
Give any hint that modding can be done, and modders break the game to pieces and whine to the official devs about it. Fenoxo is mostly indifferent/ignores it, but Savin takes a hard stance to nip this in the bud.

If you want your unofficial content to be in the game, go through the official community submitted content processes.
Was gonna ask first because I know some places feel differently than others. I got my answer early at the very least.

And naaa if I am doing something it’s just gonna reimplement something and honestly that’s gonna take learning Java just to do it after I took a peek at things this morning. It’ll be for personal use since I am not allowed to share and honestly might be for the best since I am not that motivated to learn the in’s and out’s of java so I doubt I would upkeep it regularly. Might learn how to edit Minecraft Mod Files as a plus I guess.