Vic 2.0 (Not you)

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Valeria needs a body so she can become sexable.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Like father, like daughter.

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
Easy way to get around this, pull an EVE Online consciousness transfer between bodies (clones that are grown can be stimulated to keep the body healthy but not allow any sort of consciousness to develop.) Really TiTS has the tech to do it since were several thousand years in the future. If you can grow AI's from your own genetic map/brain matter who says you can transfer your mind into another grown body?

I'm to say you can't transfer your mind into another body!
Err... I mean that begs the question of what is your mind? I mean your mind is imprinted onto your own body right? Like neural maps and stuff. So how do you shift consciousness between two bodies? If we made a second version of Vic then how do we get the first Vic into it? Wouldn't it just have Vic's memories and personality already on it and then it'd already be it's own person, so to speak.
I could imagine moving a soul between bodies, but that wouldn't be very sci-fi.
It could work if Vic's brain was preserved in a jar somewhere, hooked up to wireless relay letting him control a robot or a physical meat body, with a computer chip it, receiving and sending signals to and from Vic's brain.

hardlight holodeck, pls

Then she'd be a goddess in her own little sex universe. :x  

THIS!  :perfect:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I'm to say you can't transfer your mind into another body!
Err... I mean that begs the question of what is your mind? I mean your mind is imprinted onto your own body right? Like neural maps and stuff. So how do you shift consciousness between two bodies? If we made a second version of Vic then how do we get the first Vic into it? Wouldn't it just have Vic's memories and personality already on it and then it'd already be it's own person, so to speak.
I could imagine moving a soul between bodies, but that wouldn't be very sci-fi.
It could work if Vic's brain was preserved in a jar somewhere, hooked up to wireless relay letting him control a robot or a physical meat body, with a computer chip it, receiving and sending signals to and from Vic's brain.

THIS!  :perfect:

Your mind, your very consciousness is your soul if you want to put it into that term. Example in sci-fi where you can move your consciousness from body to body. Ghost in a Shell, Cameron's Avatar film, EVE Online cloning and switching bodies. There are various other examples I could put out but I just put a few down. A lot of the tech/biotech involved of which you move your consciousness from one body to another is a lot of sci-fi handwaving because it's sci-fi for one and another it's probably highly advanced tech that allows it.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Saendra stole Valeria, the Phoenix, and probably everything else she owns from the Black Void.

They still made Valeria for her / from her, or at least that's the impression I was given.  A grown AI should be well within Victor's purchasing abilities.

Though it's a spurious line of discussion anyway because there's no way Victor could have a grown AI based off himself.  A developed AI or sophisticated VI using a brain scan as a rough "how would Victor say this?" measure would be more likely.

I considered the possibility of Victor's mental patterns having been recorded by his proto-nanites, but we've established that this was considered a new feature when the gray goo nanites were rediscovered and I've established again in Lessau's dialogue that adding that functionality to Captain Steele's would be a new feature.

Which I might use as the explanation for the body-swap upgrade, actually.

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
Saendra stole Valeria, the Phoenix, and probably everything else she owns from the Black Void.

Does that include her strap-on?

Your mind, your very consciousness is your soul if you want to put it into that term. Example in sci-fi where you can move your consciousness from body to body. Ghost in a Shell, Cameron's Avatar film, EVE Online cloning and switching bodies. There are various other examples I could put out but I just put a few down. A lot of the tech/biotech involved of which you move your consciousness from one body to another is a lot of sci-fi handwaving because it's sci-fi for one and another it's probably highly advanced tech that allows it.

I don't know I'd consider the soul to be the union of every part of a person, their emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual selves but that's not really important.
I know other sci-fi's have done this, but I'm just kind of saying is it realistic?  As I said earlier this is the problem with sci-fi it's all speculative and you just have to go with what's reasonably realistic and hope it's within the players willing suspension of disbelief.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Does that include her strap-on?

I don't know I'd consider the soul to be the union of every part of a person, their emotional, physical, intellectual and spiritual selves but that's not really important.
I know other sci-fi's have done this, but I'm just kind of saying is it realistic?  As I said earlier this is the problem with sci-fi it's all speculative and you just have to go with what's reasonably realistic and hope it's within the players willing suspension of disbelief.

A LOT of tech we have today was considered science fiction a century ago so who knows what will be developed in the future? What was once considered not realistic now actually is, that is the effect of science and progress of society built  scientific and industrial scale.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

Except EVEs case is a technological lockout. For all intents and purposes the clone system is creating a copy, it's just that normally that copy is only made the instant prior to the death of the original. "You" haven't moved at all- the new one is simply a duplicate of the original that has since ceased to exist. A divergence. At least one of the novels plays on this by introducing a terminally ill character who hacks into the cloning network and activates his clones without the whole dying part, expressly so that he can enact some plan for vengeance before he actually would run out of time and die for realsies. (Though to be fair, EVEs application of the whole cloning system is mostly about trying to build fluff to support game mechanics, trying to make it all make sense and jive together takes a back seat to that. See: jump clones & limitations, the fact that pods aren't actually required for the Dust 514 soldiers, jump drive effects etc.)

This is mostly what I had in mind when I was trying to cobble together what the actual differences between the three tiers of AI were, and why anybody would continue to bother with the likes of VIs in the face of AI-Ds and Gs. To be clear, we already had the three classifications, but what the differences were between them was almost completely undefined. I cobbled some shit together to try and at least make an attempt at rectifying that. 

EVEs cloning shenanigans is specifically why I leaned towards the whole "infant brain" thing- creating a duplicate of a person using an AI-G would be problematic for any number of reasons that don't revolve around technological capabilities. I walked it back from the idea that whatever is "hosting" the AI-G would need to be malleable - it would have to be able to adapt to the AI itself growing over time - and in effect sets an upper bound on the "lifespan" of an AI-G. Eventually they run out of ability to progress or adapt, for want of a better way to explain it, which I guess could manifest as something approaching alzheimer's. By basing one around a brain that already has had significant development, you'd be cutting down on the maximum lifespan expected of the AI-G core. Even more so if you consider "commercialized" AI-Gs will then need to be trained/programmed to suit the role that they're intended for, again, eating into some of that maximum developmental capacity.

What I'm saying is given the framework that has been set up, it wouldn't be an impossibility to create an AI-G based duplicate of a specific person, it would just make very little sense outside of exceptional circumstances and probably comes paired with a minefield of problems.

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015
Clones should be everywhere. You can be your own twin, and have twincest with yourself! Who doesn't want that?! (I know a lot of people wouldn't, I'm being dumb :p

Don't be so hard on yourself, I can relate just fine.

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
There's a big difference in growing muscle fibres and a body. Then there's the whole ethical issue of making a clone and killing it for a brain transplant. Whereas growing replacement organs has no ethical issues and less complex. 

Oh my, here comes the life vs. rights argument >.<

In my estimation all of what's going on here is the tip of the iceberg of why inserting Vic 2.0(not Steele Jr.) is just a bad idea, and we haven't even really gotten into the potential destruction of story elements.

K

Krynh

I don't really think this is an actual "this is gonna be in the game so we should seriously think about it" thing as much as a "this idea is kind of cool, let's theorize/brainstorm about it." 

Ok so excluding the how how we make Vic 2.0 :)  I could see him as leaving behind Steele Tech (leaving aside the fact that he's legally dead) and trying to find and reconcile with the string of bastards over the galaxy.

K

Krynh

(honest question: is there a non-derogatory name for unplanned children whose father might not even know they exist?

Unknown offspring? Dunno can't think of a good word.

Do we have Steele find out Vic 2.0 is still alive? Could have Steele Jr walk in on Anno and Vic 2.0 bonking, but that might be a bit cruel. 

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
(honest question: is there a non-derogatory name for unplanned children whose father might not even know they exist? "Bastard" and "illegitimate" are so... cold)

Baseborn and Misbegotten can both be used in place of bastard, though I'm pretty sure any child born out of wedlock is considered a bastard, whether their parents had planned it or not.

K

Krynh

Baseborn and Misbegotten can both be used in place of bastard, though I'm pretty sure any child born out of wedlock is considered a bastard, whether their parents had planned it or not.

Those are just as bad :p

Glassboy

Sep 6, 2015
Ireland
K

Krynh

Yeah that works.

So instead of Steele Jr finding out Vic's alive by walking on him and Anno enthusiastically reconnecting. Anno shows Steele a message from Vic, but it's actually a sex tape she made of herself and Victor before finding the right message. 

Fenoxo

Corrupter of Tainted Space
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Mareth
www.fenoxo.com
For anyone thinking of the implications of making a cloned duplicate of yourself and slapping it in a robot body... play or watch someone play SOMA. That game has a lot of mind-fuckery around that question.

OHMYGOD

THAT'S HOW THE BONE COUNTER KEEPS GOING UP.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Silly mode is non canon but delightful.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
For anyone thinking of the implications of making a cloned duplicate of yourself and slapping it in a robot body... play or watch someone play SOMA. That game has a lot of mind-fuckery around that question.

I´m saving myself until I get a better PC. I´ve been looking forward to play it for some time now.

So anyone reading this thread, please no spoilers...Unless you can hide it somehow...I´m not sure if this forum type can do that.

OHMYGOD

THAT'S HOW THE BONE COUNTER KEEPS GOING UP.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I completely forgot about the bone counter. But I thought it was Kaede sharing her bone all this time.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
So, you play as this guy named Daniel, and he drinks this concoction that erases his memory. The game starts with you wandering through a bunch of hallways whilst muttering some weird "Memento" style reminder stuff to yourself, and then you...

Wait, this is wrong.

:p  

I´m not listening I´m not listening I´M NOT LISTENING...Lalalallaala

*Forgets that this is a forum and I can still read*

...wait a minute. That´s amnesia...Got me panicking for nothing...

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
I don't really think this is an actual "this is gonna be in the game so we should seriously think about it" thing as much as a "this idea is kind of cool, let's theorize/brainstorm about it." 

I mean, I basically said that in my first response. :p  I see this is much more an AU/fanfic kind of thing than a serious addition to the game. Even before all other issues like the ethics and logistics of it, TiTS just doesn't even need Vic 2.0. Not with the plot we have running right now.

My point in this was never to deny it's possibility in the game, other than to present my judgement of such a thing. Rather, I am/was attempting to point out a horrible path I would rather not have to watch unfold in front of me.

This, is accurate, and bastard is only a derogatory term if used as an epithet. It is still legal parlance particularly in England but in USA as well. But then your child is property legally . . . soooooo meh. Oh and if my perceptions and judgements are relevant here, may I suggest just going with bastard. It is a wee bit off-color in polite company but in kink gaming it is unlikely to be so to most. It is also moderately likely to feed a few kinks.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
I feel like everyone posting here has kind of overlooked something that gives this idea way more potential: the clone of Vic doesn't necessarily have to have been made by the original Vic.

Xenogen found a sample of his DNA and cloned him to study the effects of the massive number of mutations he underwent during his lifetime. Void Pirates stole his genetic code from his family records and decided to put his silver tongue and brass balls to use for them. Some obsessed fangirl bought a lock of his hair on SpaceBay and rigged up a personal fuckbuddy for herself.

If you don't limit yourself to the assumption that if Vic has a clone, it's because he wanted a clone, this has a lot more interesting opportunities to it.

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
I feel like everyone posting here has kind of overlooked something that gives this idea way more potential: the clone of Vic doesn't necessarily have to have been made by the original Vic.

Xenogen found a sample of his DNA and cloned him to study the effects of the massive number of mutations he underwent during his lifetime. Void Pirates stole his genetic code from his family records and decided to put his silver tongue and brass balls to use for them. Some obsessed fangirl bought a lock of his hair on SpaceBay and rigged up a personal fuckbuddy for herself.

If you don't limit yourself to the assumption that if Vic has a clone, it's because he wanted a clone, this has a lot more interesting opportunities to it.

I also mentioned this possibility before and was ignored.

edit:

This is an excellent idea and because of development works and Vic's transformations he wouldn't look exactly like Vic. He probably just have a uncanny resemblance to Vic. Although I don't think Vic would be the kind of person to make a clone, he doesn't really have to.

The clone could be part of a scam to rob CEO'S out of their wealth by inheritance and when that was legislated against, he was dumped in a orphanage. He doesn't even need to know he was a clone and only finds out after meeting/sexing Steele Jr.

It could also be an attempt at getting Steele inheritance by an criminal organization. Even if Steele tried to keep it a secret I doubt the ones that build the probe didn't let part of it slip it out in advance. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out this whole quest thing Steele. Through from what I've the Black Void is going to be do this with one of Vic's child.

Last edited by a moderator: