TiTsEd - A save editor

Narmlet

Mar 8, 2019
yes tha-
Material: 0 = default, 1 = Regular, 2 = Metal, 3 = Gem
...what is this? isn't there only bone & onyx?
aaaah, sry sry i missed the first line
but man gem horns? when did this happen?

Last edited:

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
A while back. I had pearl horns on my Steele and I haven't played for months.

BakCamel

Dec 14, 2020
The original post on this thread mentions that TiTsEd won't run in WINE on Linux, but...it does. I managed to get it working on my computer via winetricks dotnet40. Graphics/UI are glitchy but it's totally usable. Would anyone like a writeup on exactly how to get it working? I did it ages ago so I'd need to test it again in a fresh wineprefix.

Yes, please, do so. I've been trying to figure this out myself but I'm not well versed in working with wine so I think I might have missed something.

On a side note. Is it possible to edit the state of Codex entries with this editor (mark them read/unread)? As I have no access to windows machine, I don't have the option to check out how this editor works (unless I get it to work on Wine). My goal is that I'm trying to circumvent a problem I have while playing from browser. I can't click/flag/trigger any codex entries so that they would show their content therefore not flagging them read. Those few items that require the entry to be marked as read before I can use them - I can't at the moment. My thought here is that with editor I might be able to flag them manually and continue playing.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
On a side note. Is it possible to edit the state of Codex entries with this editor (mark them read/unread)? As I have no access to windows machine, I don't have the option to check out how this editor works (unless I get it to work on Wine). My goal is that I'm trying to circumvent a problem I have while playing from browser. I can't click/flag/trigger any codex entries so that they would show their content therefore not flagging them read. Those few items that require the entry to be marked as read before I can use them - I can't at the moment. My thought here is that with editor I might be able to flag them manually and continue playing.
As far as I know, it's not possible to flag Codex entries as read. However, you can set the TF effects you want. If you're concerned about cheating Taint, you can set that, too. In the case of the Treatment, you can set it op to progress normally.

Also, the impending switch to Java may solve your issue on it's own.

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Impending change of TiTS into Java? Wasn't it javascript they were planning or am I mistaken?
Is there a difference? If there is, it was JavaScript. Either way, hopefully it will solve the problem as a side-effect.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Is there a difference? If there is, it was JavaScript. Either way, hopefully it will solve the problem as a side-effect.

Java and JavaScript are about as different as ham and hamsters. At least that's how Upcast Drake put it.

Reactions: Paradox01

Theron

Nov 8, 2018
Java and JavaScript are about as different as ham and hamsters. At least that's how Upcast Drake put it.
They're both mammals? They're both meat? Now you've got me curious. What would, say, the Komodo Dragon of Programming languages be? Some variant of Python, perhaps?

What would that make something like Whitespace? An Eldritch Abomination?

Reactions: Paradox01

BakCamel

Dec 14, 2020
They're both mammals? They're both meat? Now you've got me curious. What would, say, the Komodo Dragon of Programming languages be? Some variant of Python, perhaps?

What would that make something like Whitespace? An Eldritch Abomination?

Komodo Dragon of Programming languages... Hmm. Fearsome, has strong bite and can crush bones of the larger size. Based on your initial thought that it might be some variant of Python, and Python is used in scientific/Tensorflow context. What I'm going to suggest isn't Python but it is still the strongest, most fearsome programming language that I've used: Fortran77 - the number cruncher. Ancient, fearsome, strong and has survived longer than many of its original users.

Whitespace is: "The Force that gives the Developer his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the crunch-time-hack together."

But comparing Java and JavaScript. JavaScript is a scripting language originally designed for Netscape navigator (That all present day browsers are - in certain sense), they picked the name JavaScript because Java was a new and fancy thing back then (~1995) and Netscape wanted to confuse people so that their own new language would get noticed. After that many things happened (IE was the market dominator, stagnant. Then came Firefox, a new era began and the Browser wars followed in the early 2000) and in the 2008 Google threw out Chrome with V8 JavaScript engine that used a trick called "just-in-time compilation" and was faster than the other browsers. If you've noticed, I talk about browsers. JavaScript is versatile programming language that is (originally) run inside user's browser. There exists variant(s) that runs on server side and that is called Node.js (I abhor this abomination).

Java is not run on browser (unless you have plug-in for it), it is primarily used on server back-end (and it has many many other uses too). Main strength of Java was/is its portability. Any machine that can run Java Runtime can run your Java-program (and that machine is powerful enough for that program - same as with any program really) without you having to take into account the operating system of the user or other system specifics. Also. Java is statically typed programming language (note: no scripting) and it usually means you have to have a lot of boilerplate (read: a lot of code to make simple program to run) but these are also its strengths. If you have ever wondered what C#-programming language is - it is Microsoft's attempt at copying Java. Same as JScript is Microsoft's attempt at copying JavaScript in "ye olden times".

Why JavaScript is so wide spread? Because it easy to get into. If you have a browser, you can easily (compile and) test your code. It means that JavaScript is easily "babbys first prughramming language" and it shows. JavaScript's users don't usually have any sort of formal training in programming so the likelihood of finding eldritch madness when browsing random repositories made with JavaScript is high. It also doesn't help that there are no common standard libraries (good code compilations for doing basic and more complicated but common tricks) for JavaScript so there are multiple and they don't necessarily talk with each other. This leads to needing huge trees of dependencies for basic functionality and that is insane. Basic program could have dependency for over thousand libraries. If even a single one of them was malicious or has an error causing a vulnerability then your program could/would be vulnerable too. It is an insane and daunting task to comb through them all just in case there is a problem. I abhor using JavaScript on anything that is even remotely important.

Even if I have strong feelings against JavaScript in general, it has its place and that is on browser and on the web. It is an excellent tool with browser games (just like TiTS and RPG Maker MV games). I prefer to use a programming languages for the task it is most suitable for. I don't use Node.js on server back-end as JavaScript-libraries tend to get born, evolve and die within months. Keeping a back-end secure and up-to date is a job in itself.

Sorry. Got bit carried away.

I'm happy that they are migrating to JavaScript with TiTS (playing from browser means it is OS independent). Java would be fine too as that is also portable and I could play on any machine that runs Java. Can't really tell which one would be more work. Both have their strengths.

alkeiser

Jun 26, 2016
Does anyone know what these two codex entries are?

Attachments

• 2020-12-18 14_36_20-2020-12-18.png
    2020-12-18 14_36_20-2020-12-18.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 38

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
Does anyone know what these two codex entries are?
The first one is this
Code:
         CodexManager.addCodexEntry(CodexManager.CODEX_TYPE_RACE,"Core Worlds","Cylirians",cylirianCodexEntry);
I am assuming you have access to a decompiled copy of the code look up
CodexManager.addCodexEntry(CodexManager.CODEX_TYPE_RACE,"Core Worlds","Saeri",saeriCodexEntry);
the race above it should be the second one

alkeiser

Jun 26, 2016
The first one is this
Code:
         CodexManager.addCodexEntry(CodexManager.CODEX_TYPE_RACE,"Core Worlds","Cylirians",cylirianCodexEntry);
I am assuming you have access to a decompiled copy of the code look up
CodexManager.addCodexEntry(CodexManager.CODEX_TYPE_RACE,"Core Worlds","Saeri",saeriCodexEntry);
the race above it should be the second one

Yeah, my scripts weren't picking them up from my decompiled copy for some reason.

agreenfish

Jun 24, 2019
Yes, please, do so. I've been trying to figure this out myself but I'm not well versed in working with wine so I think I might have missed something.

I'm currently testing this as we speak. I run it in my "main" system WINEPREFIX, mostly, so I needed to make sure this would work for others.

The first step is to create a new WINEPREFIX for TiTsED (you can use your system wineprefix, but I recommend creating one in case you break something else in the process -- this will isolate your work to this prefix.) A wineprefix is like a separate Windows installation -- this is different from a VM, but it essentially allows you to configure a set of libraries and settings for WINE to use.

Create a directory: (you can name it whatever as long as it's consistent)
mkdir ~/wineprefix

Create a new WINE prefix in that directory (with 32-bit wine, although 64-bit works as well):

WINEPREFIX=~/wineprefix WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot

Using the tool winetricks (you may need to install it if you don't have it already), install the .NET framework 4.0:

WINEPREFIX=~/wineprefix winetricks dotnet40 (this will take a while, follow the on-screen directions)

You should now be able to run TiTsED in this prefix with:
WINEPREFIX=~/wineprefix wine [path to TiTsED.exe]

This might also work on Mac, assuming WINE works on mac -- you're on your own for figuring that out, of course. There are significant graphical issues, and you often need to "force" elements to re-render to get them to show up, but it still works in the end.

Reactions: BakCamel

Atlas1965

Aug 28, 2015
A question for the dev(s) on this - are there any plans to adapt this, or make a "TiTSEd v2", once the new Javascript version of TiTS that's been hinted at in the latest public post releases?

Endwar

Oct 29, 2016
Need help to reset Vark's flags to try out his new expansion.

Please and thank you. :)

Edit: Never mind, found out you need to take out the collar from the key items.

Last edited:

Fyora

Sep 9, 2017
When I edit my saves, I can't see the resulting save files in Windows Explorer or when running TiTS? I can only see them if I open the registry through TiTSEd. Any suggestions how to fix this? I checked "show hidden files" but it doesn't change anything.

agreenfish

Jun 24, 2019
When I edit my saves, I can't see the resulting save files in Windows Explorer or when running TiTS? I can only see them if I open the registry through TiTSEd. Any suggestions how to fix this? I checked "show hidden files" but it doesn't change anything.

Are they in any system folders, like Program files? I've seen Windows 10 create fake directories and present them to programs causing issues like the one you mentioned.

Fyora

Sep 9, 2017
Are they in any system folders, like Program files? I've seen Windows 10 create fake directories and present them to programs causing issues like the one you mentioned.
No, they're in a folder in my documents folder where I have previously saved similar files whether from running the game in IE or in the AIR player. No .tits nor .sol files show up from TitsEd, only my older un-edited files.

alkeiser

Jun 26, 2016

At the bottom of each of the Open menu locations you'll see a 'Open Directory' that will open an explorer window to where the save is located.
TiTsEd_OpenDirectory.png

Fyora

Sep 9, 2017
At the bottom of each of the Open menu locations you'll see a 'Open Directory' that will open an explorer window to where the save is located.
View attachment 15425
Right, I can see it there (and play it from there by setting the file to be opened by the TiTS.exe), but if I go to the same location in Windows Explorer, it doesn't show anything. And, no matter where I save the files after playing an edited file, I can only see and open even those files through that same menu.

I had a hypothesis before I went to sleep last night that the issue is that my antivirus ran TitsEd as a "contained" program and therefore the files created could only be accessed within the container. (I was too tired to test it at the time.) I have since de-contained TitsEd, resolving the problem of created save files not being visible in regular Windows Explorer (they are now visible where I save them when created), but losing all the saves I edited/played yesterday in the process. Hopefully if someone else has the same problem, they'll find my posts and solve the problem before they lose progress over it. Thank you for your time, everyone.

Last edited:

ninjadork

May 5, 2017
Current version of TiTSEd has a major problem with a bunch of Armors and Clothes: they are classified as Tents and have no stats.

Mirrored Jumpsuit causes a 1065 error.

Jul 19, 2017
I seem to have a problem with 0.33.0, when I have TiTsEd open to a save, save the file in the Flash Player, then try to open the save again in TiTsEd, the flags are not updated to reflect changes made in-game. Closing and opening TiTsEd fixes this issue until I save again in-game
Is anyone else having this happen?

Reactions: EvilK

SeriousBlueJewel

Nov 5, 2018
I seem to have a problem with 0.33.0, when I have TiTsEd open to a save, save the file in the Flash Player, then try to open the save again in TiTsEd, the flags are not updated to reflect changes made in-game. Closing and opening TiTsEd fixes this issue until I save again in-game
Is anyone else having this happen?
Have you tried saving again/reloading the save in TiTsEd?