The Runefang Chronicles (For Archangel99)

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Stepping over the unconscious form, Lazarus stalks into the mineshaft, his eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness within, and going deeper into the mine, his eyes darting around, looking for anything out of the ordinary. 

[Discern Realities, rolled a 6.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Walking through the mine, Lazarus was about to round a corner, when he heard the sound of footsteps coming towards him.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
He immediately turns, staff at the ready and held across his chest, eyes scanning the dim light for any signs of movement. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
From down the tunnel the light of a torch could be seen approaching, and with it the voices of two men. Slipping into a nearby alcove, Lazarus waited. Soon enough, two men in similar garb as the one at the entrance came strolling down the tunnel.

"I knew it was a bad idea to start sending people through more often. Once a year was bad enough, but once a month? It was only a matter of time before someone came looking for one of them," one of the men said, his voice shaky.

"Well, it's too late to complain now, the deed's done. Even if some merc is looking for that soiled brat, we just have to follow Lady Jessica's orders, and keep everything on the down low until he leaves." The other man's voice was much more even than his companion's. "Unless we catch him poking around where he's not supposed to, then we'll cub him and throw him through to."

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Lazarus keeps waiting, hidden out of sight, to see if they drop any more tidbits of information. While he waits, however, his mind is working at full speed. 

Just who were these people? Sending people through once a year? Sending them through what exactly? And this spoiled brat... That had to be Elizabeth. He had to find out more... 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
The two men passed right by Lazarus's hiding spot, completely unaware of his presence. Sadly, their pace was quick, and they soon disappeared around a corner and out of sight.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Lazarus peeks around the corner, making sure nobody else was coming after them, then sneaks up behind the men, still trailing them and keeping out of sight. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
As he crept behind them, Lazarus was able to pick up more of their conversation. "Club him' he says," the first man repeated in mocking tone. "You heard the description, right? Do you know what a snarling dog mask means? He's a runefang! They're killers, cold blooded murderers."

"Well then, we'd best hope he doesn't find anything, and leaves. So keep your mouth shut about Lady Jessica's cellar," the second man barked.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
He keeps trailing them, staff kept ready to attack should they spot him or when they reach their destination. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
The two men's conversation began to shift to more mundane topics as they walked, turning down one path and then another. Lazarus quickly began to notice that the walls they were passing were beginning to look familiar, and eventually, it became obvious that they were walking in circles; likely on a patrol rout.  

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
He takes a breath, calming himself, then steps out of the shadows, immediately smashing the staff into the head of one of the men, then twisting and swinging downwards, swiping the other's legs out from under him. 

[Rolled a 6. That good or bad?]

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Both men went down in a heap under the surprise attack.

[You don't need to roll to attack when the enemy is unaware of you.]

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Lazarus slams his staff into the head of one of them, knocking him out. Then, he turns to the other. "Where is she!? And where are the others!?" He growls. "Make it quick, or I'm going to start breaking bones!"

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
The surprised guard screams, "AAAAAHHHHHH!, Don't kill me, don't kill me, don't kill me!"

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
"Shut up! Where are they!?" He snarls. "Answer quick, and I might just leave you alive!" He says, his staff poised above his throat. 

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
"The people you were talking about. Where are they!? Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about, fool! I heard your conversation! And right now, you're really starting to wear down my patience! Maybe I should just kill you off and ask the other bastard." He growls. 

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
"And who is this Lady Jessica, and where does she live?" Lazarus' voice takes on a soothing, almost comforting tone. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"The head of the smith's guild, big house outside of town!" the man cried.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
"Thank you. Your services are no longer required." He finishes off the man with a jab to the throat, collapsing his trachea, and does the same to the other, before walking back out. 

"No loose ends. Loose ends trip you up." His master's voice floats through his head as he makes his way out of the mine, heading to Lady Jessica's house. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Lazarus made his way through the darkened streets of Mothbrook, without so much as a sound. Upon reaching the outskirts he scanned the area for the largest building he could find. Sure enough, a large walled mansion sat on the edge of the forest about a quarter-mile from town.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
He looks around the area, scanning for a way in, as well as any guards patrolling the perimeter. There were bound to be some, what with a place this large...

[Discern Realities Roll?]

[Holy crap I rolled a 10!] 

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
After scanning the perimeter of the building, Lazarus spotted what her was looking for. On the backside of the building was a large cellar door that lead under the house. His mood darkened a bit, however, when he also noticed the two large shapes moving about the walled property... Wolfhounds.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Great. Wolfhounds. If they caught his scent... He could take down two, maybe three, but not if they attacked at the same time... Well, this line of work wasn't exactly risk free, now was it? 

He hops down from his vantage point, circling the mansion and hoping the wind was blowing his scent away from them... He stops a fair distance away, checking if they were moving about with a particular pattern or timing, looking for an opening. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Being unsupervised, the dogs seemed to be content to mill about the property, occasionally tussling with each other. Fortunately, they didn't seem to have caught his scent yet.

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
Lazarus waits for a opening until the dogs are far enough away and distracted by play-fighting each other, then quickly and quietly runs to the cellar door.