"The new forums are shit"

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Not sure what limiting to 16 colors is supposed to accomplish. Limiting to 1, sure, but why 16?

Probably gonna want the reply composition area to be dark eventually. And spoiler tags look kind of crappy, light grey text on bright background.

Hidden Content

Yeah, there's loads of shit tucked away in CSS that needs to be tweaked. Annoying as shit, but it'll happen (eventually).

Prisoner416

Aug 27, 2015
I'm really having problems with the new text format, tbh. I'm running an old Windows XP laptop generally when I'm editing, and it's hanging a lot when working with a lot of text. This never happened with the old forum system. The lack of a preview post feature isn't helping either.

I don't mean to complain, since I know how much work things take, but it honestly might cause me to abandon working on the game since I literally can't get anything done. I have a whole section of corrections and it keeps messing up my quotes.

I might have to switch over to another system... wasn't there a way to edit the source on github or something?

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
I'm really having problems with the new text format, tbh. I'm running an old Windows XP laptop generally when I'm editing, and it's hanging a lot when working with a lot of text. This never happened with the old forum system. The lack of a preview post feature isn't helping either.

Time to upgrade? As fine a beast as it was, you can't expect XP to cope with modern forum formats these days, particularly not on an old laptop.

lightningshifter

Aug 27, 2015
I do like how the new forums function. I also have noticed and appreciate the continued improvements. I have to say great job with getting this up and working in such a short time. One of the things that confused me at first though was the reason for edit line whenever you edit posts. At first I thought it was something that was required, but then I discovered that it apparently is not. Is it something we should provide for forum etiquette reasons though?

flying_moustache

Aug 30, 2015
I really liked my sig picture, but I can understand and wholeheartedly support the idea of not allowing them anymore.

On the other hand pure-text-signatures would be much appreciated. Linking google docs like that has always been very handy. If you must, set a low character limit but please keep it widely available. Maybe gate it behind a specific amount of posts? 50, 100 or such?

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
People with forum relevant gdoc links, such as, you know, our blossoming writers and third party developers, get such signatures.

Other people do not.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

I don't mean to complain, since I know how much work things take, but it honestly might cause me to abandon working on the game since I literally can't get anything done. I have a whole section of corrections and it keeps messing up my quotes.

I might have to switch over to another system... wasn't there a way to edit the source on github or something?

I believe there is a way to actually do edits through Github- imo that would be far preferable because it'd also save us having to do this kinda mindless mechanical-turk stuff to roll massive blobs of typo fixes into the game. I'll put it on my list of things to look at.

I know somebody spotted a preview post addon thing for the editor that I need to look at sometime.

That said, whenever I was working with a sufficiently large blob of text in the old forums, I'd do it in Notepad anyway rather than in the site, in the text box, and just copypaste later. I know the basic formatting BBCodes should still work (at least, that's what I keep reading, it's not like I've actually tried to use them).

e: Yeah basic BBCode still works so.

I do like how the new forums function. I also have noticed and appreciate the continued improvements. I have to say great job with getting this up and working in such a short time. One of the things that confused me at first though was the reason for edit line whenever you edit posts. At first I thought it was something that was required, but then I discovered that it apparently is not. Is it something we should provide for forum etiquette reasons though?

No, I guess its more for like moderator-action so we could leave an actual note about what or why we were changing stuff.

I really liked my sig picture, but I can understand and wholeheartedly support the idea of not allowing them anymore.

On the other hand pure-text-signatures would be much appreciated. Linking google docs like that has always been very handy. If you must, set a low character limit but please keep it widely available. Maybe gate it behind a specific amount of posts? 50, 100 or such?

They can be limited by total line count and number-of-links iirc. I'm not exactly SURE how it limits by linecount considering, you know, that's basically dependant on screenwidth so....

Also somebody mentioned a good point about this- the people we care about having signatures aren't necessarily the people who make a large quantity of posts so it seems counterproductive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prisoner416

Aug 27, 2015
Keep me updated, I have limited experience with Github and the like but I'm willing to try any editor that makes things easier on both ends. Plus it would always have the newest code.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Does that reason for edit thing could be set that only as you meantion moderators/admins have access to it and rest mortals/normal users not? Or it's one of those thing that must be same for all/still not found way to set it up so not all getting this when editing their posts?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Does that reason for edit thing could be set that only as you meantion moderators/admins have access to it and rest mortals/normal users not? Or it's one of those thing that must be same for all/still not found way to set it up so not all getting this when editing their posts?

I don't remember seeing the ability to limit its display to specific usergroups, just disabling it outright. I GUESS we don't need it anyway because moderators (and probably the original poster) can see the full edit history anyway.

flying_moustache

Aug 30, 2015
They can be limited by total line count and number-of-links iirc. I'm not exactly SURE how it limits by linecount considering, you know, that's basically dependant on screenwidth so....

Also somebody mentioned a good point about this- the people we care about having signatures aren't necessarily the people who make a large quantity of posts so it seems counterproductive.

Although you are right in saying writers arent necessarily the most active posters on the forum, I think anyone who cares about the game will have something like 50 posts in a feasible amount of time.

It was a suggestion less about keeping it strictly to JUST the writers and crew and more about keeping it to a reasonable amount of users. But of course just a suggestion...

Edit: Also, I think a single line would absolutely suffice to link what you want to link. Even if the limitation by line count would be affected by screenwidth, with a single line the difference would be neglectable.

And the extra space used by single-line-sigs while reading should also be neglectable.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
So... does the "mark site as read" link really mark all threads read? This sounds like something I'd never want to click, and it's right next to the "new content" link that I'd click often to see what I haven't read. Is there at least a confirmation on that?

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
So... does the "mark site as read" link really mark all threads read? This sounds like something I'd never want to click, and it's right next to the "new content" link that I'd click often to see what I haven't read. Is there at least a confirmation on that?

Yes, it really does mark the whole site as read at the time of clicking

Nex

Aug 28, 2015
Now when the forum is back, will the category "fanfiction" return or will that be under something like RP?

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
Could probably go in the smut sub. even if its not smutty im sure there has ben non-smutty art posted there

Also can we get the option to turn of normal smilies for our own posts? we had it on the old forums and it was super useful

i'd also like to disable them

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
there was a fanfiction forum?

It essentially served as a section for people to post written smut, such as choose your own adventures and fetish stories.  You usually saw something new posted there once or twice every week or so.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Personally, I'd make a general subforum and have it divided on written (the old "Stories & Fanfiction") and drawn (the old "Smut") sections. Similarly, I'd also like to ask for the return of "General Discussion" subforum. Yes, I know some people considered it as "white noise", but came handy for discussions and whatnot. Unless that "General Bullshit"(do we really need that word?) is meant to be its spiritual successor. In that case, I'd simply ask to change the "Bullshit" word.

Meatbag

Aug 31, 2015
Why waste time and invent something that had already been invented thousands of times.

If i was you i'd go with http://www.ucoz.com

Still running a forum hosted by these guys for..9 years now, most of it already been pre-made all i ever needed to do was to run thru some configs.

The stuff ucoz offers is nearly limitless you can run forum or site or both and many more things, take a look if you feel like it.

I even host my flash player here: http://silkroad.3dn.ru/audio/flashplayer2/xspf_player.swf?playlist_url=http://silkroad.3dn.ru/audio/flashplayer2/playlist.xspf

and my ol' forum if you wanna take a look http://silkroad.3dn.ru (it's real old so i'm not using even a third of what ucoz is capable of, i'm sure there are better examples of their services around look at the site if you want).

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
I am having trouble editing my post and working with quotes. The quote system seems to break when I try to copy paste a quoted section from one place to another. Then when I try to go back to the terribly broken post it says "This comment can no longer be edited. It may have been moved or deleted, or too much time may have passed since it was posted for it to be edited."  (its been like 10 minutes). The post is at http://fenoxo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83-chosen-an-adult-text-game-with-roguelike-elements/, Notice how some of ht quotes work and others do leaving parts of it nonsensical.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
I tried to edit an OP to attach a SOL file, and got this error. It's not a very helpful message... and if SOL isn't an allowed filetype, perhaps that could be changed?

There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I finally stopped dragging my feet on making my new commission information thread, may I please get signature permission status now so that I can link it in my sig with my current open slot count?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I tried to edit an OP to attach a SOL file, and got this error. It's not a very helpful message... and if SOL isn't an allowed filetype, perhaps that could be changed?

I spent like 4 hours looking into this before I finally figured out what's going on- blame Cloudflare. I've informed Fen about things he needs to do, but there's not much I can do on my end because of how dumbshit Cloudflare is inserting itself in the upload process IPB uses.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I'll test it tomorrow and see, gonna die rip me

Taboo-Sho

Sep 9, 2015
I am gonna miss custom titles. I miss being Tabooy already. Sigs I will kinda miss. Some where fun to read.