"The new forums are shit"

Sanguine

Aug 28, 2015
Honestly, like 50/50 on it because I don't really see a need for it. Personally, I had them hidden for display in the old forum because I don't really care what you're putting in there. imo they're only really useful for poster-identification purposes... but there's already this fantastic username/avatar combo just to the left of the post anyway, so it just winds up being a constant waste of space for no gain.

This is his stand, sweety. Reading is quite hard. 

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Nagh reading not hard just been still kinda too sleepy is a thing. I changed but well cool at least I gave you chance to post something ^^

PS. I not fond of this reason for editing (like 90-99% times it's cuz we not liked our post/some posted in meantime and we need change to reflect it/made horrible ore or multiple typo in it)

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
But... why would anybody care about any of that? It's "I want things for the sake of having them". This isn't Facebook, if you wanna snowflake it up go post on tumblr or something.

About me shit maybe, for active writers or something. Maybe.

So much this. 

That said, some way for writers/artists to drop a perma-link to their gallery or whatever would be nice. I actually found it surprisingly useful to have my worklog in my signature -- could just tell people to see that when they asked questions about submission docs and such. 

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
This always happens when you upgrade to your big boy forum.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So much this. 

That said, some way for writers/artists to drop a perma-link to their gallery or whatever would be nice. I actually found it surprisingly useful to have my worklog in my signature -- could just tell people to see that when they asked questions about submission docs and such. 

Links/text but no images? Or images up to like, some nominal banner-style dimension I guess for artists?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitsune

Aug 27, 2015
If you're going to allow signatures at all (I wouldn't), please, please, please, please don't allow gifs in them or avatars again. Thanks Big Gay Dan.

Basically this, see how small the posts are currently, and nicely they fit 40 posts each page...  with signatures that space would pretty much double. Not to mention just overall faster loading that you get if you have crappy internet (I don't). 

I'm still greatly in favor of just not having them in sight.

ITNW1993

Aug 27, 2015
A popular method of restricting signatures in a couple forums I used to hang around in was limiting them to a specific filetype, size and length, so there's that; though I'd agree with just limiting it to links and texts, especially if it's just going to be specifically for writers/artists to have a hotlink to their works. Otherwise it's just unneeded fluff for us leeches.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I agree with the sentiment of yes to sigs, no to images in sigs.  They're useful for keeping a link to a work repository or commission info, not so good when clogging the screen with gifs.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Okay I jammed a middle ground together that we can probably build on in future- known-content-creators now have a group (with a special title, Couch has it) that can create small text-only signatures for now. We'll see how this plays out for now.

Enigmatic D

Aug 27, 2015
So basically certain people get specific titles due to their actions on the forums and the like?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
So basically certain people get specific titles due to their actions on the forums and the like?

Pretty much, but mainly as a means of identifying/dishing out extra permissions to do things. Like I might do a group for prolific-bug-reporters that'll let them use tags so they can tag stuff according to what it is rather than having me/fen do it.

Enigmatic D

Aug 27, 2015
Pretty much, but mainly as a means of identifying/dishing out extra permissions to do things. Like I might do a group for prolific-bug-reporters that'll let them use tags so they can tag stuff according to what it is rather than having me/fen do it.

Does that mean you already have list of titles that will correspond with whatever that person or people do around the forums?Currently, the only titles I've seen are Admins and Creators.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
 The one god more like!!!

Does that mean you already have list of titles that will correspond with whatever that person or people do around the forums?Currently, the only titles I've seen are Admins and Creators.

You aren't getting a custom title if that's what you're asking. They're forum ranks, granting various permissions and privileges. Creator is the cool people club.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
It isn't exactly that hard to just add new titles/ranks as needed.

Enigmatic D

Aug 27, 2015
You aren't getting a custom title if that's what you're asking. They're forum ranks, granting various permissions and privileges. Creator is the cool people club.

I'm not asking for a custom title for myself or anyone else. I'm just genuinely interested in knowing what possible titles there will be on the forums.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
And no more are really needed.

I suppose something like 3rd party dev might do, too, come to think of it. But that basically falls in creator so eh.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
Well even the people who wanted sigs said no .gifs so I guess I lost this battle completely ^__^;

Tis a shame, I'll miss my infinitely cycling AK-74 especially since it reminded me of Kaiju and the M-16 one he had for a while.

Rijo

Aug 29, 2015
Huh. Well, that's interesting to note. Ah well, in time, I'm sure we'll all get used to the forums as they are.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I mostly blocked the gifs because they're incredibly distracting when you're reading posts.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Signatures should be in the OP list, eh?

Other than that, I mean the old theme for both the site and forums was pretty terrible, and these are both faster.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
Okay I jammed a middle ground together that we can probably build on in future- known-content-creators now have a group (with a special title, Couch has it) that can create small text-only signatures for now. We'll see how this plays out for now.

You really want to be playing arbiter of signature-having? That doesn't seem like a welcome additional distraction while you're fixing the forums.

Kitteh6660

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
The signatures and text colours can wait. I do agree with text-only signatures, no gifs.

If text colours do get added for everyone, it should be basic only, no tags. But allow at least 16 colours and I'll be happy.

Decanter

Aug 27, 2015
Not sure what limiting to 16 colors is supposed to accomplish. Limiting to 1, sure, but why 16?

Probably gonna want the reply composition area to be dark eventually. And spoiler tags look kind of crappy, light grey text on bright background.

As you can see.