So who else is excited to see this happen?

BluMann1

Apr 3, 2018
As a CoC have a special place in my heart (it was the first game i played from Fenoxo .inc) my H Y P E bar is high for CoC 2. And especially because of somewhat of a medieval-fantasy placement (weapons and armors of the Dark Ages, NO technology of our times/sci-fi ,a lot of non-human species, magic, you know what i'm talking about). I'm especially grateful that I can start as full Canine/Feline species (it hurts mah balls that in TiTS i only start as half-canine/feline even with all this sci-fi technology). I have a little hope that this time my character can be a little more chivalrous than what we see in TiTs or CoC (of course I want it to be not only option for characters personality)

I have my worries that the hype train will run over the game(*cough*No Man's Sky*cough*) but I can only pray to Vultcano for success of the team and not get hyped to much.

Farlun

Nov 28, 2015
I've been hoping to see this for ages. And with the current team I have strong hopes this game will turn out awesome! :3

Reactions: Mooing_Mermaid

partnerintime

Sep 10, 2017
MI
I've been away for a few months so when I came back yesterday to read up what I've missed on the blog, I couldn't believe my eyes. I know a lot of you were around for CoC first before TiTs. I wasn't. I remember coming across both and checking out TiTs first and then CoC. Since I did that, it was like a little shock to the eyes because I had loved the UI and clean look that TiTs had. Besides that, I absolutely love CoC; the setting, characters, etc. I always wondered what it'd be like though if it had the UI, combat, map, busts, and things that just makes the game even more amazing to me personally. Now we're gonna get to know with a sequel! I'm all for it. I can't wait to see what's to come and how it'll look.

Harlequin

Dec 18, 2017
While I do enjoy TiTS (namely since it seems more complete than CoC), Fantasy beats out Sci-Fi for me, so the hype is real... which means I need to start planning out a couple or twenty characters since I'm a horrible altoholic across all of these games... and possibly do an unmodded playthrough of CoC since save importing might be a thing. Such joy.

Regardless, can't wait to enjoy the game in its fullest!

Sifen

Apr 4, 2018
Who would not be excited for this?

Also for those who comment about the lack of a k, isn't COC already pronounced kok "cock".

Sifen

Apr 4, 2018
I pronounce it "See Oh See", but I suppose it is pronounced cock, ye.

*shrugs*
I generally refer to it as see oh see or champions, telling someone who asks what your doing "cock" is not something I want to have to deal with.

Dragonice

Oct 7, 2017
Just got back on the forums after a few days and I see that COC 2 is being made. '"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"
(Loses his mind to the insanity that is... The mother fucking HYPE TRAIN!)

Nobody is getting off this mother fucking HYPE TRAIN!!!

Sifen

Apr 4, 2018
Just got back on the forums after a few days and I see that COC 2 is being made. '"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"
(Loses his mind to the insanity that is... The mother fucking HYPE TRAIN!)

Nobody is getting off this mother fucking HYPE TRAIN!!!

You mean the hype demon horse cock

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
I'm definitely excited. I was fine with seeing TiTS succeed CoC, as I think TiTS is a better-made game and I like it more, and CoC2 looks like it's got the same quality going right from the start. It'll probably take me a while to get into it, but I'm looking forward to figuring out the new classes and seeing what the world's like. And I need to work more on my TiTS projects so I have time to write for CoC2 too. :D

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
I am excited for it, however I'm not a big fan onlf how strict Savin and the bunch are going to be with content this time around.

Reactions: Kitchie Keen

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I am excited for it, however I'm not a big fan onlf how strict Savin and the bunch are going to be with content this time around.
I think it's a positive thing. The focus the changes in permitted content is something that is very much going improve the workflow for the game's content and lead to greater quality of scenes and accessibility of scenes.

Last edited:

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
I think it's a positive thing. The focus the changes in permitted content is something that is very much going improve the workflow for the game's content and lead to greater quality of scenes and accessibility of scenes.
True, but it comes with a few downside, namely restricting the variety of content (i.e. no taur and naga tfs or followers), as well as potentially making it extremely difficult for newer writers to get their stuff in.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Correct me if I am wrong (please!), but I swear that the only restriction to newcomers is that of followers.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
True, but it comes with a few downside, namely restricting the variety of content (i.e. no taur and naga tfs or followers), as well as potentially making it extremely difficult for newer writers to get their stuff in.
The restriction on newbies is only for companions, which is absolutely warranted.

Plus nagas and taurs were niche stuff that didn't get much written for them anyways.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
The restriction on newbies is only for companions, which is absolutely warranted.

Plus nagas and taurs were niche stuff that didn't get much written for them anyways.

Cause no one wanted to write them.

I also agree on the restrictions for newbie writers with it comes to companions. I mean fuck that type of content should be done by people who know what they're doing and walking into since they've had prior exp writing it for this type of game. I think I've seen the majority of new writers and projects just fail to see the light of day with a 75 to 80% ratio rate of failure. Most of these writers just disappear from the site without ever finishing what they started.

People here, particulary new writers to this site have a very bad habit of biting off more than they can chew or their eyes are bigger than their stomach kind of thing and instead of taking small servings they opt to just fill their plate. Some writers I've noticed only give a cursory glance at the guides before they start hammering away. It's like they pass over the area of "START SMALL, DO NOT DO A BIG PROJECT AS YOUR FIRST PROJECT!" Am I being overly critical about new writers here at these forums? Yes, yes I am only because I at one point in my life 10-15 years ago did I want to become a writer and I started writing a book, was suppose to be around 500 pages worth. I got around 2/3rds done.

Then life hit me with a ton of bricks which shifted my focus away from the project which I've tried to go back to multiple times only to discovery I had writers block and that I had lost passion for what I was writing.That and the enormous fact that my grammar seems to have suffered and slipped over the years and editing over 300 pages of something was a massive pain in the neck and ass, that just takes the wind out of your sails even more. :(

Reactions: Nnxx

Nnxx

Feb 3, 2017
I couldn't agree more with that, I've myself started a project for another game and bitten more than I could chew, fortunately enough, I realized that before getting "afraid" of the amount of work and quitting, so I've split my project in half and thus I'm almost finished...

I must say I was kinda fascinated that LuckyNumber24 managed to put up such a big amount of work in a single project for his first one, so I wanted to do the same, which was a mistake :catte:

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
Everything you guys are saying about starting small and all that is true. :confused: I thought the gym would be pretty easy, but the damn thing kept growing and took me a lot longer to finish than I thought. I see lots of people telling new writers to start small, and I'm glad for that. Seems like one of the rules of writing for these games is no matter what you want to do, it's going to turn out bigger and more complex than you thought.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015

I believe you can have non-humanoid companions, you yourself simply can't be one. The amount of variants that it needs some a fairly niche thing was to much, to the point of it being ignored half the time in TiTs. It's a bit of a conceit.

And, as said, the only "experience" requirement is for companion characters, which are something panned to be burlier then followers or crewmates now, with the added possibility of being able to interject and do stuff out in the world when they're in your party. The experience is less so a stop gate for "hey, you aren't up for doing this right now" (which is still the case) and more "we don't know if you're reliable yet." Ideally, they're in it for the long haul.

Dragonice

Oct 7, 2017
Curious, will there be a combat update that makes it so you can control what your teammates do? Because one thing that annoyed me about my cat girl follower is she kept useing heal on herself when she was almost full HP or attacking while I was dieing.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
Curious, will there be a combat update that makes it so you can control what your teammates do? Because one thing that annoyed me about my cat girl follower is she kept useing heal on herself when she was almost full HP or attacking while I was dieing.
We're trying to stay away from that. We'll be making her AI better and plan on having different orders you can give companions to dictate their behavior.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
No, you have to still be a living person.
Ah, thank you. =)

Heh, it would be nice if the raction would be based on affection..
kinda like Very Low Affection = they do not help you and instead focus on themselves
Normal Affection = They try to keep both of you alive and try to coordinate with you
High Affection = Your survival has a higher priority then their own
and lastly, Very High Affection = they follow your every command (aka direct control) :D

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
Well, yeah, you guys all have extremely valid points. Still, I can't help but be a little miffed by it. Maybe it was the way the observer phrased it here:

So, you've just played the initial release and are feeling mighty excited. CoC2 is a reality now, and with a party-based system! It's time for you to inject your lovely waifu/husbando into-

No.

Stop.

The temptation to write a companion is there, I know. I experienced it back in my days of writing for FoE - while it was still active, everyone and their mother wanted to write a companion, half the ideas on the old forums were for companions. The allure is simple to understand, as the people who follow the champion around are the top-tier NPCs, and having your self-insert be played by so many other people feels good, doesn't it?

That's the problem.

A companion is a massive investment of time, effort and dedication. Savin has made it clear in his design docs that he's going to be no-fun Hitler about this, because of so many problems which have cropped up in previous FenCo games, the main ones being:

-We don't want bubble people. No camps and spaceships full of waifus and husbandos who never interact with one another. No planets full of people who never interact with one another. Quality over quantity. If you write a companion, you're expected to keep abreast of what other people are doing, especially other companion writers. You're expected to communicate with other writers about how your characters would interact. You'll be expected to work with other people on their docs, and help people figure out what your character would say. You'll be expected to learn the ins and outs of other writers' companions.

-We don't want people who will flake. Everyone remembers the ton of unfinished content in the original CoC. We want to avoid that, and so will only take people who we know will commit. Sometimes the unavoidable happens, and we get a JimThermic (who we will all miss) and there are systems in place to help future-proof against that, but ideally there will be nil cases of this. This won't just take months, it's likely to take years, and your companion is going to be hanging out there with the champion all this while. No one likes writing for other peoples' shit - just look at people trying to continue Jim's work. If you flake, that means Savin or someone else is going to have to write crap for you, because as I said, companions are bloody involved.

-We want people who will be responsive and on the ball. If a major plot scene requires your input as a writer because of something your companion might do, you're expected to be relatively prompt about it. Otherwise, people are going to write for you, and as above, it's irritating for everyone involved. Keep in communication.

So what are we going to do about it?

-Firstly, only established writers with a track record get to write companions, people whom have proven themselves to be reliable and who won't flake at the drop of a pin. Savin has his own criteria, but I personally think someone who has established projects implemented in FenCo games and who has been writing for over a year would be eligible.

-Everyone who gets the green light to write a companion gets only ONE. Quality over quantity. Judging by the amount of time I've burned on my particular project, it's going to be massively time-consuming to keep up with all everything needed to keep one companion at the standard which we'd like to set. More than that, and you might as well make writing smut your full-time job.

-You're going to be expected to be easily available to the other writers at reasonably short notice. Fenchat Discord is a good venue; most of the dev discussion takes place there.

-You're going to be expected to keep up with the lore, what's going on, and who's developing what. Then, you get to work with other writers to flesh out interactions with each others' plotlines and the main story.

No, it's not fair, for whatever meaning of fair you choose at the moment. No, we don't care. The purpose of this exercise is to learn from previous mistakes and move forward. If you can't commit the time, refrain from flaking and be social with the other writers, then a plain old NPC might be more your thing.

Just seemed kinda dickish the way they said it, like they were basically saying "Oh, you're super excited to do this? Nope, go fuck yourself." I dunno, whatever.