Seamus's ShipLot: New ships and a place to buy them

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
(Do more manly men pls.)
You should just do a training montage with Lashy whenever you will have more than the barest amount of free time.

He got spunk (heh), youthful energy and a passion for all things manly, while you can provide bile, experience, jaded cynicism, and verbosity.

Anyone has a clue how writer's training from hell can look like?

--
Now, going back to dem rails.

The most important thing would be: last time I heard, FenCo were hardline in their decision to not make PC ship a fully explorable location consisting of tiles. @Savin , is it still true?

I was going for the classic car salesman thing with him, so I pictured him as a family man, and he evolved from there.
How about making Seamus at least a tiny bit sleazy, as his occupation might suggest? Nothing that'd reflect poorly on him as a person, but a bit of professional tricks. Like: the VR versions of the ships will have a room descriptions missing some minor details that'd hint on mostly inconsequential (or even purely cosmetic) defects. Or have Seamus leading the tour and talking the ship up.

Really depends on how interested you are in writing these types of interactions.

He doesn't want to cheat on his husband, so Steele's out of luck, and Seamus has ways of backing that up. But you can get a discount on your ship if you listen to him ramble about his kids.
That's actually really nice. I'd love for him to have more dialogue options, but it just tells you that the existing ones serve as good hooks. Also, he lets the Steele down pretty gently.

Oh and I think the kid rant could use mentioning the pups' names.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
last time I heard, FenCo were hardline in their decision to not make PC ship a fully explorable location consisting of tiles. @Savin , is it still true?

No, Fenoxo completely reversed his position a few months ago.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
I genuinely can't tell if you're joking or not. Please confirm.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
He didn't joked. But for final result to see if he not again reversed his reversed stance will be when we get new ships ingame that may be even in this year.

@Gedan How your progress with work on ships stuff atm?

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I haven't had time to start on it yet. Between Jerynn expanding threefold over what I originally intended and having to handle a bunch of nitty gritty stuff that has come up with a hard deadline (tl;dr prep features for FWA) I haven't had chance. Fen meanwhile has continued to make a couple of changes to the design doc and I need to quiz him on it a bit today.

But yes, not having the ship be an explorable location in the past was a complexity limitation (a good example would be triggering events for specific NPCs in certain rooms, those rooms would have to be present/addressable/indexable across many ships) on Fens end. I proposed a couple of ways it could be mitigated and also suggested that we could make an explorable map of the ships pull multiple duties, in that the ship map will also serve as the means to customise the ship and its equipment.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Considering I haven't actually coded this yet, take all of this with a grain of salt.

Basically, Ships are gonna be split up into three types of rooms (some of which will have further subcategorization):
  • Static, unique rooms. These are purpose-fit for the ship in question.
  • Static, shared rooms. These are rooms that are generic enough to work in every ship, and will always be present in every ship, so we can trigger events in them. Think things like basic crew quarters or the docking ramp.
  • Customisable "module" rooms. This is what the player can control. You get ship modules (be that guns, or shield emitters or holodecks or whatever), and slot them into open module rooms. Different types of module have different requirements, f.ex there are places where you can only put weapons and places you can only put things like holodecks.

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
Will we be able to give crew members jobs around the ship for bonuses? Are ships and space combat going to be rolled out at roughly the same time?

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
How about making Seamus at least a tiny bit sleazy, as his occupation might suggest? Nothing that'd reflect poorly on him as a person, but a bit of professional tricks. Like: the VR versions of the ships will have a room descriptions missing some minor details that'd hint on mostly inconsequential (or even purely cosmetic) defects.
Nope. I don't like job stereotypes, which is part of why I wrote Seamus as a stand-up guy.
Considering I haven't actually coded this yet, take all of this with a grain of salt.

Basically, Ships are gonna be split up into three types of rooms (some of which will have further subcategorization):
  • Static, shared rooms. These are rooms that are generic enough to work in every ship, and will always be present in every ship, so we can trigger events in them. Think things like basic crew quarters or the docking ramp.
  • Customisable "module" rooms. This is what the player can control. You get ship modules (be that guns, or shield emitters or holodecks or whatever), and slot them into open module rooms. Different types of module have different requirements, f.ex there are places where you can only put weapons and places you can only put things like holodecks.
Interesting, and thanks for the info. I'll hold onto my stuff and update it when new ships are actually a thing in-game. I know I can fit those things into the ships I made, and a holodeck's a lot more interesting than just another map square with three sentences of flavor text. And that means I can make the StarSphere longer, which will make some people happy. :D

Reactions: Nik_van_Rijn

Naas

Feb 1, 2016

Reminds me of Infinite Space a little, pity we can't go as in depth of that but still... Each ship in that actually had sized zone restrictions for modules (so bridges could only go in the bridge section and only if they fit, etc), still one interesting thing that system did was allow for you to "refit" the bridge in various faction styles depending on the module you used. Which in turn altered the bonus provided to the ship stats. Which in TiTSverse could be something like a Kiha Corp. module/ship focusing on automation (so streamlined with less human interfaces. I could go on about that more but that means there has be another thing coming.

Crew jobs/management. Which will be interesting in and of itself (although a ship VI interaction in every room to get a query report on a crew member's current location would help), still to get on topic... The ships are interesting enough, so is the salesman. It's always fun to have something new, especially something like this.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Nope. I don't like job stereotypes, which is part of why I wrote Seamus as a stand-up guy.
Faor enough. Still would love to see more involved (even if it's 100% honest) sales pitch from Seamus. And a longer, more detailed parental rant, plus the names for the puppers.

But most importantly: thanks for doing this, and good luck.

Reactions: Dantalion

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Probably second half of 2017 or the last 3 months of current year.