Romance Systems in AAA games

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
Even limiting it solely to Bioware those trees got way less complex over time. In the Baldur's Gate games there were numerous conversations and trees for those conversations; whether a romantic subplot triggered or not, whether you even got the option or not, largely depended on how those conversations went and it wasn't just a countdown to sex. Knights of the Old Republic was highly simplified and a number of their other games, like Jade Empire, followed suit. DAO was conceived as an updated Baldur's Gate (that felt less D&D and more Lord of the Rings) and that tried to add some complexity back by tracking party member's affections but you could still go through the entire romantic subplot in a single sitting if you wanted. Then Mass Effect almost put it on rails.

Persona's social links are a much better implementation of the talk X number of times way of doing it - it can't be done all at once, responses matter, it's interspersed throughout the story, it's possible to screw it up - but they're also too isolated. A number of games do that sort of thing well (the Ar Tonelicos, Mane Khemia, Growlanser, Trails of Cold Steel, etc) but I really like those that have affection trackers based on things you do in the course of playing the game, not just during designated waifu events. FF7 and Riviera both had hidden affection systems with a combination of obvious and not-no-obvious actions that influenced it. The Rune Factory games also got p. good about it as they went on, branching out from the largely gift-giving affection system of most Harvest Moons into little subplots involving the various waifus for you to discover and that sort of thing.

Effort always shows and heavily telegraphing the fuk button, gated behind two conversations, is super boring.

Ecchi Bunny

Oct 6, 2018
Even limiting it solely to Bioware those trees got way less complex over time. In the Baldur's Gate games there were numerous conversations and trees for those conversations; whether a romantic subplot triggered or not, whether you even got the option or not, largely depended on how those conversations went and it wasn't just a countdown to sex. Knights of the Old Republic was highly simplified and a number of their other games, like Jade Empire, followed suit. DAO was conceived as an updated Baldur's Gate (that felt less D&D and more Lord of the Rings) and that tried to add some complexity back by tracking party member's affections but you could still go through the entire romantic subplot in a single sitting if you wanted. Then Mass Effect almost put it on rails.

Persona's social links are a much better implementation of the talk X number of times way of doing it - it can't be done all at once, responses matter, it's interspersed throughout the story, it's possible to screw it up - but they're also too isolated. A number of games do that sort of thing well (the Ar Tonelicos, Mane Khemia, Growlanser, Trails of Cold Steel, etc) but I really like those that have affection trackers based on things you do in the course of playing the game, not just during designated waifu events. FF7 and Riviera both had hidden affection systems with a combination of obvious and not-no-obvious actions that influenced it. The Rune Factory games also got p. good about it as they went on, branching out from the largely gift-giving affection system of most Harvest Moons into little subplots involving the various waifus for you to discover and that sort of thing.

Effort always shows and heavily telegraphing the fuk button, gated behind two conversations, is super boring.

Fair points and I agree on a few but still holding every game to the same standard for romance is impossible, they should do their best when they use romance as a selling point of the game but if they are not then they are under no obligation to make it awesome.
It would be nice to make it awesome even without it being a selling point but in the end AAA games are made by corps that look at the bottom line.
So i can't blame people for doing their job. That is why indie games are becoming more popular because people put their passion into every inch of the game. Look at TiTS, the crew making content for this game is passionate about their project and everyone from the community who ain't getting paid for it adds in because they are passionate. And even those who get paid like what they are doing otherwise they would just leave since they are not under contract.

Anyway I'm going on a rant, sorry. :oops: My point is I agree they should try to make it better but i can't hate them for doing what they do. Not yet at least.

Reactions: Slab Bulkhead
Dec 11, 2018
I don't think there's such a thing as overhype for CP2077. It's ambitious as hell, sure, but I really think CDPR can pull it off. It's world, it's combat, and hopefully it's characters are looking to be amazing, even if it probably won't come until 2020.

I see what you did there...

coldmonkey

May 11, 2016
If a game offers it, then I usually go along, since they kind of tend to push it on you, but I wouldn't say romance options have ever improved my game experiences. NPCs showing some affection towards you can improve immersion and characterization, but I don't care for the Bioware approach of sappy dialogue, doing errands to win approval, or Witcher love triangles or anything similar. I don't feel close to video game NPCs no matter how much they gush over the video game dude I'm playing. They aren't zoggin' real.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I see the romance as a way to enhance the story. But then there are games when it's just sorta there, and doesn't do anything. BioWare has made both.

Speaking of, I'm only just now realizing that Tali×Shepard, which I went back and made a male character for, is a little weird considering there's probably a 10-15 year age gap with Tali being barely legal. We met her on a rite of passage, something to prove she was a capable adult, while Shepard has extensive military service and would've enlisted at 18-21.

Foxxling

Scientist
Creator
giphy.gif

Warning: Zombie Post

I don't feel close to video game NPCs no matter how much they gush over the video game dude I'm playing. They aren't zoggin' real

I don't get the sentiment because... duh? Everyone is aware that they aren't real.

i mean... we all know it is just an interactive story that's literally where the investment comes from.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I see the romance as a way to enhance the story. But then there are games when it's just sorta there, and doesn't do anything. BioWare has made both.

Speaking of, I'm only just now realizing that Tali×Shepard, which I went back and made a male character for, is a little weird considering there's probably a 10-15 year age gap with Tali being barely legal. We met her on a rite of passage, something to prove she was a capable adult, while Shepard has extensive military service and would've enlisted at 18-21.

Technically its also Tali robbing the grave, but you could say that about any ME2 and 3 romance.

But this is also a game where Humans and Quarians live to be about 150 years old, maximum. In the long run, its not exactly a huge difference. What creeps me out more about the Tali and Shepard romance (and bear in mind its tied with Miranda's for my favourite in the trilogy), Shepard is Tali's commanding officer, even if its on a civilian ship and that's more of an uneven power dynamic.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Technically its also Tali robbing the grave, but you could say that about any ME2 and 3 romance.

But this is also a game where Humans and Quarians live to be about 150 years old, maximum. In the long run, its not exactly a huge difference. What creeps me out more about the Tali and Shepard romance (and bear in mind its tied with Miranda's for my favourite in the trilogy), Shepard is Tali's commanding officer, even if its on a civilian ship and that's more of an uneven power dynamic.
That depends on what happens in her Loyalty mission, right? Either way, it doesn't paint Shep's romances in a good light.

Even if there's not an actual power imbalance, such things are still illegal basically everywhere to prevent such an imbalanced relationship.

RANT
My brother is a US Marine, and frequently mentions the rampant alcoholism and rape in the military. And also racism, mostly directed towards Muslims. But the amount of stories about Marines being dishonorably discharged for gangbanging a drunk girl or the like is frightening. An absolute fuckload of people also lose even decade long relationships to adultery, usually with the person's best friend, and I just don't understand. Sometimes it's even preemptive, before they're actually accepted, so one of his Staff Sergeants told the class to go ahead and cheat right now so they already have payback when they're cheated on.

coldmonkey

May 11, 2016
I don't get the sentiment because... duh? Everyone is aware that they aren't real.

i mean... we all know it is just an interactive story that's literally where the investment comes from.
You're right, but what I mean is that the Bioware-style, fleshed out in-game romances are rarely able to enhance any of the various plots or atmosphere within the story, and on their own they tend to be pretty crap, as their only real leg to stand on tends to be "your character would feel affection towards another character, do RPG stuff to make them happy," while "What my character might feel" is largely unrelated to my own emotions. "My character would hate this guy but love this girl" doesn't mean I feel any hate or love whatsoever.

Romance is just a pretty weak subject, or rather, it's hard to write in a way that makes it interesting. Take a song like Lightnin' Hopkin's "Bring Me My Shotgun": that's an interesting love story, because the guy is asking his wife to bring him his shotgun so that he can shoot her with it, and at the end, lamenting that his shotgun doesn't work, thus preventing him from shooting her. However, it may also be that it's some lingering attachment that stops him from firing, even if he doesn't say so. Gimme some shit like that in an AAA game and I'll praise the romantic writing. Another example: in a game like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, you have a character like VV, who can show a lot of affection: however, it's never made clear whether she's simply manipulating you or not, and that adds to the game's atmosphere of uncertainty and emotional isolation, making it much larger than just her statements of affection.

K

Kokayi005

I hate it in AAA games where they are too cheap to go the extra mile and have a variety of romances. So they give you like 3 people to romance and they're all just bisexual so no matter what you play as they will bang you. SMH stupid.

Even worse when they retcon a character to be something else because of fan response.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
It gets kinda hard to maintain that characters should have gender preferences when there are so many cute straight girls...

Like, I still agree, but there are a lot of times I falter.

K

Kokayi005

I like Mitsuru in P3 too. So I know what you mean. That said I would just imagine Minato being with her . No harm no foul. I only want characters to break up when one of them is a shitty character