Riya 3: Remove Kebatra(Proofreaders needed)

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
No he's right I did sub Sera, dom Sera, and half of merchant Sera, but not the preg stuff. At least I think I did; it's been so long. Ask Nonesuch.

You can still have generic pregnancies with tons of births for things like eggs and mobs. But I mean, if you're going to take the time to craft a unique NPC and a believable reason for them to have kids with the PC, than you may as well make the child interactions special as well.

imo

Reactions: Candycane

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Dayum Kivo. You took my line I wanted to use. Gotta be faster...

So the plot thickened so much i can cut it with knife or we still need thicked it bit more?

Also Franks...you commioned only Dom Sera preg stuff. Cpt. can still get it share of preg commisoning in Sub Sera... Dun dun DUUUUUUUNNNN!

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
You can always name them... Kid #1, Kid #2 and so on. You shouldn't have issues unless you forget which one number was last xD

Interestingly enough the Romans also named their kids like that, for example Octavian means 8th.

If I remember right the list was: Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus/Septima, Octavian/Octavia, Nonus/Nona, Decimus/Decima, etc.

So it is possible for folks to name their kids 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on while making it look like you put at least some effort into it.

Though honestly with the fact that Cap'n Steele can have hundreds of kids, that becomes a hell of a lot more difficult a proposition. Still I'm looking forward to Riya's prep content, even if I'll likely only ever be able to read it through the doc.

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Interestingly enough the Romans also named their kids like that, for example Octavian means 8th.

If I remember right the list was: Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septimus/Septima, Octavian/Octavia, Nonus/Nona, Decimus/Decima, etc.

So it is possible for folks to name their kids 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on while making it look like you put at least some effort into it.

Though honestly with the fact that Cap'n Steele can have hundreds of kids, that becomes a hell of a lot more difficult a proposition. Still I'm looking forward to Riya's prep content, even if I'll likely only ever be able to read it through the doc.

Albeit Octavian almost surely came from Octis (8th), it wasn't a given name, it was proper of the gens Octavia. Gens stands for family, as example, the gens Julia (Caius Julius Caesar), the gens Claudia (Tiberius Claudius Nero), the gens Ulpia (Marcus Ulpius Trajanus), the gens Valeria (Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvinus) or the gens Porcia (Marcus Portius Cato Uticensis).

Octavian was the varian of a member of the gens Octavia with links to another gens, in this case, the Julia (Caius Octavius - Caius Julius {Caesar} Octavian). The Caesar part didn't belong to the naming custom, but Octavius-Augustus kept it from the prestige that it ensured him.

That said, given names commonly came from numbers, the more known being Quintus (Quintus Caecilius Metellus, Quintus Tullius Cicero), Sextus (Sextus Pompey) and Decimus (Decimus Junius Brutus).

Last edited:

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
Albeit Octavian almost surely came from Octis (8th), it wasn't a given name, it was proper of the gens Octavia. Gens stands for family, as example, the gens Julia (Caius Julius Caesar), the gens Claudia (Tiberius Claudius Nero), the gens Ulpia (Marcus Ulpius Trajanus), the gens Valeria (Marcus Valerius Messalla Corvinus) or the gens Porcia (Marcus Portius Cato Uticensis).

Octavian was the varian of a member of the gens Octavia with links to another gens, in this case, the Julia (Caius Octavius - Caius Julius {Caesar} Octavian). The Caesar part didn't belong to the naming custom, but Octavius-Augustus kept it from the prestige that it ensured him.
If you are going to be nitpicky like that... I'm pretty sure those historical figures' names wasn't "Caius" but "Gaius"

PuppyPrincess

May 13, 2017
If you are going to be nitpicky like that... I'm pretty sure those historical figures' names wasn't "Caius" but "Gaius"

At the risk of going further off-topic, in Latin for a period there was no distinction between the letter C and the letter G and "Gaius" and "Caius" are both acceptable forms of the names.

So if you're going to be nitpicky Octavian and Caesar can be referred to as Gaius or Caius and Coalsack is pretty much spot on about the rest.

Also, need more Riya.

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
At the risk of going further off-topic, in Latin for a period there was no distinction between the letter C and the letter G and "Gaius" and "Caius" are both acceptable forms of the names.

So if you're going to be nitpicky Octavian and Caesar can be referred to as Gaius or Caius and Coalsack is pretty much spot on about the rest.
Not so much that they didn't distinguish as much as the letter "G" didn't exist until the 3rd century BC and Gaius Julius Caesar, the dictator, was born 100 BC. So it'll still be Gaius.

Gear Grinder

Jan 6, 2016
I never thought I'd get a roman history lesson here.

Reactions: ShySquare

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Yes, there's no difference between G and C, but in Spanish the name is translated with "C", so I used that. Ancient latin didn't had lowcases or "U", anyways.

Female romans usually didn't had "given" names, as they had the unchanged form of the gens name, then the cognomen (another gens with that they had links, single women had none), as Livia Drusilla, Octavia Minor (Octavia the Younger), Ulpia Marciana, Gala Placidia, etc.

Last edited:
F

Franks

Dayum Kivo. You took my line I wanted to use. Gotta be faster...

So the plot thickened so much i can cut it with knife or we still need thicked it bit more?

Also Franks...you commioned only Dom Sera preg stuff. Cpt. can still get it share of preg commisoning in Sub Sera... Dun dun DUUUUUUUNNNN!
I think Nonesuch said he was on the fence about writing that.