Price for Freedom: Avarice

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by deck, Dec 21, 2017.

1. CleansingFire

CleansingFire Well-Known Member

Public build 0.12.1 is out: https://www.patreon.com/posts/public-build-12-32841676

Terri is the catgirl (?) in the update post image.

2. Valaska

Valaska Member

Yeah, Terri is the cat girl.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CleansingFire

Public build 14 has been released. https://www.patreon.com/posts/public-build-14-37153836

Changelog:
    Iski is the kobold thief. Samara, of course, is the dark-skinned elf that has been in the game from the very beginning.

4. Valaska

Valaska Member

Build 15 live!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We've two quests added for this version the first involving Samara after she retells Redic about her ship adventure, and before the campfire scene. Rest at Nathan's inn to trigger the quest.

The second quest is the continuation of Verona's story! Enter the inn after completing the Whispering Brook questline and after completing her first quest and it'll trigger automatically. Alternatively, if you load up "Build 15" you will automatically jump to the quest! We've also begun setting up our subscribestar! Complete with our oauth 1 build 1 game system we finally can bring the game to those of you who prefer not to support Patreon but still want to support us. We'll be setting up the page to make it more marketable soon!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    https://subscribestar.adult/priceforfreedom

Changelog:
    - [Backers] Verona second quest.
    - [Backers] Verona's second scene with 2 animated CG and 5 stills.
    - [Backers] Samara's third quest and collectible.
    - [Backers] Garroth mini-quest.
    - **Added the slums location** in Kaldea.
    - Shaman Hutt.
    - Zahra shaman animated sprite & rig
    - New Abomination enemy.
    - Item stacks can finally be split in inventory!
    - Items can be dropped on the ground and picked up (everquest style!)
    - 7 new items
    - New Diff system for dialogue editor.
    - Subscribestar!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    CleansingFire likes this.
  5. Valaska

Valaska Member

[​IMG]

Item dropping! We had no idea that this was going to be a feature until Deck just suddenly showed us the feature me made! He surprises us like that sometimes. It reminds me a ton of EverQuest, an MMO I loved as a kid. The stashes persist permanently atm, but we might dabble with the feature so if you drop something in a really busy area like the city streets the bag will only last for a while until a character swipes it. It's just a theorized feature at the moment, it might be just it vanishes from an unsafe area, or we could play around with it more even have a certain character swipe it or such!

JPG Saves.png

Another massive thing that our programmer Deck did out of nowhere in the span of 2 hours was to make our saves into JPG's. Out entire save data's are just JPG's now, you can send them to each other as a JPG on discord, share them here, etc! This makes the system vastly faster to load data from data and they are a bit smaller too!

I hope you guys and gals dig the behind the scenes mechanics too, I'm really excited about these features. It's these subtle architectural and mechanical changes to make things more efficient that keeps you from racking up technical debt. It's also amazing to see how much our programmer can get done while he has free time after builds!

#35 Valaska, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  6. Dbhbe

Dbhbe New Member

Looks very nice. I remember as a kid in Everquest dropping a gold coin on the floor of a bank and using that one spell that turned you into an illusion of the nearest object. Was always amusing when you got a message someone was looking at you when they double-clicked the gold to pick it up.
    I really enjoy the Price of Freedom comic. I don't think I've tried the game since one of the initial releases so I plan to five back in soon.

Valaska likes this.
  7. Valaska

Valaska Member

Holy shite a response! :O. Haha I haven't really been updating this or a few other forums because we never get any discussion. Views sure but like, zero discussion.

And yeah haha I remember my friend would disguise himself as a chair to kill steal, a bit of a jerk that one haha. My other friend who was a high elf mage would always disguise himself as an elemental while he farmed the Felwithe guards because people would always ask him why he was killing his own races' guards and such! It was an awesome game with this weird in character but not really community that always helped each other out. I was super surprised and am extremely happy to have a feature like theirs in our game. Even playing EQ today, the gameplay holds up perfectly fine.

Feel free to check the public build though! There's a TON of content since that first build for furee :)

8. CleansingFire

I thought I had already asked this, but for some reason I hadn't posted the comment...

Any idea how Deck did that? Steganography? Putting the game data in the files' EXIF metadata fields? Disguising it as JPEG image data blocks?

9. Valaska

Valaska Member

Haha nothing so complicated he just makes them appear like JPG so you can send them easier etc and they are easy to recognize and such! Makes it far easier to save. Though, IMGUR might screw with them.

10. Valaska

Valaska Member

Build16.jpg

This update is a deep dive into the political world of Kaldea, rife with important choices that will have grave consequences through the story. Featuring General Alenai of the Atlathka army with her own scene, as well as a few familiar faces that who make their return for the first time in awhile.

This update is the first of two parts, the second being the focus of the next build. Since this part of the main quest, be prepared for a lot lore and dialogue, this is a pretty substantive update.

As usual there is a save named Build16 to begin the new quest directly (travel to the trade district). We updated the walkthrough on priceforfreedom.net.

Changelog:

• [Patreon] Alenai scene with 2 animated CG and 2 still shots.
    • [Patreon] Main quest part 1.
    • [Patreon] 1 collectible to find.
    • 1 new soundtrack.
    • 10 new animated character sprites: Alenai, Moira, Atlathka Footmen, Bandit Lizard, Bandit Boss, Modular Worker, Kimber, Noble, Worker Speaker, Caroline.
    • 4 dialogue portraits: Alenai, Moira, Caroline, Worker Speaker.
    • Military camp location.
    • Alenai tent location.
    • Kaldea Government district location.
    • Townhall location.
    • Slums Warehouse 2 floors location.
    • Outskirts village edge location.
    • Moira's home location.
    • Save are now jpeg images.
    • Old saves are converted to jpeg on game launch.
    • Sitting mechanic for a few NPC.
    • Screen resolution and Fullscreen mode can be changed in game.
    • Removed the unity launcher.
    • New wiki: https://priceforfreedom.net/wiki
    • New art gallery: https://priceforfreedom.net/art
    And again our first game traielr is found here now since Youtube nuked it.

NSFW version; https://priceforfreedom.net/art/Avarice_Trailer_1_NSFW

11. Valaska

Valaska Member

companion_poll_18.png
    The next companion content vote is up! Will it be HIho our Halmechian priestess or the fiery cuthroat Crimson Dervish? Maybe you're into the retired mercenary Osh'to and her cool disposition? Our Subscribestars and Patrons will be picking which of the three companions get their quest content updated next. Vote for your favourite girl over at;

https://subscribestar.adult/priceforfreedom
    https://www.patreon.com/PriceForFreedom