Price for Freedom: Avarice

CleansingFire

Aug 27, 2015
Public build 0.12.1 is out: https://www.patreon.com/posts/public-build-12-32841676

Changelog:
- [Patreon] Whole new quest adventure.

- [Patreon] Adventure scene.

- [Public] Terri scene.

- 14 new locations.

- Combat directly in travel mode.

- 6 new enemies with unique abilities.

- 7 new drawings to collect.

- 2 illustrated smut books to collect.

- 2 collectible books.

- 7 illustrated codex entries.

- Customize the main character appearance.

- ~20 new skill upgrades.

- New passives upgrades system.

- ~20 new items.

- Ability to consume food to recover health between fights.

- 2 new soundtracks.

- ~50 new sound effects.

- Revisited the items sold by the merchants.

- New environment lighting system.

- Combat matchmaker & Save editor (Alt + E).

Terri is the catgirl (?) in the update post image.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

CleansingFire

Aug 27, 2015
Public build 14 has been released. https://www.patreon.com/posts/public-build-14-37153836

Changelog:
- [Patreon] Samara new quests.

- [Patreon] Samara scene with 3 animated CG.

- [Patreon] 3 Samara pinups.

- [Public] Iski second scene.

- Samara sprite rework.

- Reworked Samara first quest.

- New pirates enemies sprites and abilities.

- Samara theme soundtrack (2 variants).

- Nathan's Inn theme soundtrack (2 variants).

- 5 collectible pictures.

- 5 new locations (Galleon).

Iski is the kobold thief. Samara, of course, is the dark-skinned elf that has been in the game from the very beginning.

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
Build 15 live!

tlFSPDp.png

tlFSPDp

We've two quests added for this version the first involving Samara after she retells Redic about her ship adventure, and before the campfire scene. Rest at Nathan's inn to trigger the quest.

The second quest is the continuation of Verona's story! Enter the inn after completing the Whispering Brook questline and after completing her first quest and it'll trigger automatically. Alternatively, if you load up "Build 15" you will automatically jump to the quest! We've also begun setting up our subscribestar! Complete with our oauth 1 build 1 game system we finally can bring the game to those of you who prefer not to support Patreon but still want to support us. We'll be setting up the page to make it more marketable soon!

yl0yEQ4
yl0yEQ4.jpg

https://subscribestar.adult/priceforfreedom

Changelog:
- [Backers] Verona second quest.
- [Backers] Verona's second scene with 2 animated CG and 5 stills.
- [Backers] Samara's third quest and collectible.
- [Backers] Garroth mini-quest.
- **Added the slums location** in Kaldea.
- Shaman Hutt.
- Zahra shaman animated sprite & rig
- New Abomination enemy.
- Item stacks can finally be split in inventory!
- Items can be dropped on the ground and picked up (everquest style!)
- 7 new items
- New Diff system for dialogue editor.
- Subscribestar!

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
SFROcgF.gif

Item dropping! We had no idea that this was going to be a feature until Deck just suddenly showed us the feature me made! He surprises us like that sometimes. It reminds me a ton of EverQuest, an MMO I loved as a kid. The stashes persist permanently atm, but we might dabble with the feature so if you drop something in a really busy area like the city streets the bag will only last for a while until a character swipes it. It's just a theorized feature at the moment, it might be just it vanishes from an unsafe area, or we could play around with it more even have a certain character swipe it or such!

JPG Saves.png

Another massive thing that our programmer Deck did out of nowhere in the span of 2 hours was to make our saves into JPG's. Out entire save data's are just JPG's now, you can send them to each other as a JPG on discord, share them here, etc! This makes the system vastly faster to load data from data and they are a bit smaller too!

I hope you guys and gals dig the behind the scenes mechanics too, I'm really excited about these features. It's these subtle architectural and mechanical changes to make things more efficient that keeps you from racking up technical debt. It's also amazing to see how much our programmer can get done while he has free time after builds!

Last edited:

Dbhbe

Aug 17, 2019
Looks very nice. I remember as a kid in Everquest dropping a gold coin on the floor of a bank and using that one spell that turned you into an illusion of the nearest object. Was always amusing when you got a message someone was looking at you when they double-clicked the gold to pick it up.
I really enjoy the Price of Freedom comic. I don't think I've tried the game since one of the initial releases so I plan to five back in soon.

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
Looks very nice. I remember as a kid in Everquest dropping a gold coin on the floor of a bank and using that one spell that turned you into an illusion of the nearest object. Was always amusing when you got a message someone was looking at you when they double-clicked the gold to pick it up.
I really enjoy the Price of Freedom comic. I don't think I've tried the game since one of the initial releases so I plan to five back in soon.

Holy shite a response! :O. Haha I haven't really been updating this or a few other forums because we never get any discussion. Views sure but like, zero discussion.

And yeah haha I remember my friend would disguise himself as a chair to kill steal, a bit of a jerk that one haha. My other friend who was a high elf mage would always disguise himself as an elemental while he farmed the Felwithe guards because people would always ask him why he was killing his own races' guards and such! It was an awesome game with this weird in character but not really community that always helped each other out. I was super surprised and am extremely happy to have a feature like theirs in our game. Even playing EQ today, the gameplay holds up perfectly fine.

Feel free to check the public build though! There's a TON of content since that first build for furee :)

CleansingFire

Aug 27, 2015
I thought I had already asked this, but for some reason I hadn't posted the comment...

Another massive thing that our programmer Deck did out of nowhere in the span of 2 hours was to make our saves into JPG's. Out entire save data's are just JPG's now, you can send them to each other as a JPG on discord, share them here, etc! This makes the system vastly faster to load data from data and they are a bit smaller too!

Any idea how Deck did that? Steganography? Putting the game data in the files' EXIF metadata fields? Disguising it as JPEG image data blocks?

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
I thought I had already asked this, but for some reason I hadn't posted the comment...

Any idea how Deck did that? Steganography? Putting the game data in the files' EXIF metadata fields? Disguising it as JPEG image data blocks?

Haha nothing so complicated he just makes them appear like JPG so you can send them easier etc and they are easy to recognize and such! Makes it far easier to save. Though, IMGUR might screw with them.

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
Build16.jpg

This update is a deep dive into the political world of Kaldea, rife with important choices that will have grave consequences through the story. Featuring General Alenai of the Atlathka army with her own scene, as well as a few familiar faces that who make their return for the first time in awhile.

This update is the first of two parts, the second being the focus of the next build. Since this part of the main quest, be prepared for a lot lore and dialogue, this is a pretty substantive update.

As usual there is a save named Build16 to begin the new quest directly (travel to the trade district). We updated the walkthrough on priceforfreedom.net.

Changelog:

• [Patreon] Alenai scene with 2 animated CG and 2 still shots.
  • [Patreon] Main quest part 1.
  • [Patreon] 1 collectible to find.
  • 1 new soundtrack.
  • 10 new animated character sprites: Alenai, Moira, Atlathka Footmen, Bandit Lizard, Bandit Boss, Modular Worker, Kimber, Noble, Worker Speaker, Caroline.
  • 4 dialogue portraits: Alenai, Moira, Caroline, Worker Speaker.
  • Military camp location.
  • Alenai tent location.
  • Kaldea Government district location.
  • Townhall location.
  • Slums Warehouse 2 floors location.
  • Outskirts village edge location.
  • Moira's home location.
  • Save are now jpeg images.
  • Old saves are converted to jpeg on game launch.
  • Sitting mechanic for a few NPC.
  • Screen resolution and Fullscreen mode can be changed in game.
  • Removed the unity launcher.
  • New wiki: https://priceforfreedom.net/wiki
  • New art gallery: https://priceforfreedom.net/art
And again our first game traielr is found here now since Youtube nuked it.

NSFW version; https://priceforfreedom.net/art/Avarice_Trailer_1_NSFW

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
companion_poll_18.png
The next companion content vote is up! Will it be HIho our Halmechian priestess or the fiery cuthroat Crimson Dervish? Maybe you're into the retired mercenary Osh'to and her cool disposition? Our Subscribestars and Patrons will be picking which of the three companions get their quest content updated next. Vote for your favourite girl over at;

https://subscribestar.adult/priceforfreedom
https://www.patreon.com/PriceForFreedom

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
We've redone the Avarice landing page! We will hopefully have a front page landing that will ask you which you want to check out and have a bit of stuff. Deck was playing around with the Unity web plugin and we might use it for more nifty little things on the page in the future.

unknown.png

SO yeah! Check out our landing page here!

https://www.priceforfreedom.net/avarice

Brainbow

Sep 16, 2015
Binged the webcomic yesterday and started the game today. I’m enjoying it so far—art, programming, design and writing all seem high quality :) Keep it up!

Reactions: Valaska

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
Played all the free stuff for the first time in the last 2 days. I like it, game has good potential, only two things i didn't like was the inability to move the text box around the screen and movement is too slow, like running through glue. Outside of those two rather minor things i enjoyed it thoroughly and am going to keep my eye on the game from here on out.

Edit: Man, by listing the only complaints i had but wrapping all the things i liked up into a single thing, my comment does not come across as positive as i meant it to.

So to expand a bit. i love the art, really nice style, i love how the game feels like you're running through a drawing at times, like on the farm. The music is decent. The sex scenes are interesting and i got off a few times as i went through them so i'd say they're certainly adequate :p

The combat is... hmm, i'm not really a combat kind of person, never really been my thing in games, so i think it's ok, seems well thought out and solid but i ended up hitting the skip button 90% of the time (please keep that feature!).

Lastly. Story. I love the story so far, i like how it's sort of modular, each quest being its own chunk, really feels like you're working through a proper quest rather than the usual 'collect 5 boar tusks'.

As i said before the edit, i really liked it and am looking forward to more.

Woo, nice. Nice avatar btw, reminds me of a less blendered Scylla lol.

To address your COMPLAINTS haha I'm just kidding, but yeah to address your comments, I feel like the "slowness" might be visual. But you CAN in the options speed up movement speed btw. You can nyoom past Iski so fast she's barely taken a step out of her crusty little ally by the time you're in the old docks. I don't know if we have plans to move the text box... maybe! We'll look into it for sure and I'll ask our programmer. You can resize it though. Combat is going to get a complete overhaul soon to make it more approachable and user friendly! We... will probably remove the skip feature completely unless we have a completely "just the story" mode then maybe we'll keep it. But the eventual aim is to have combat so good that people won't want to skip it! Haha but I could see the value in a "just the story" mode so it might be smart to keep it around in that mode alone.

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
Haha no need to tip toe, we appreciate feedback and suggestions. We will apparently be speeding the default movement speed up a bit. We need to re-animate Redic since he was literally the first animations we did and it's become extremely dated at this point. A little rigging work and such to update him will be in order... we don't want to actually re-do any assets we've already done for the most part BUT since Redic is such a main focal point there will be some updates to bring him into fidelity.

But yeah I'll definitely push to have a story only mode. The only issue is that it'll take a little out of the experience me thinks... like people might not get the context of what happened such as when Scylla does her stuff in her quest some of it is contextual to the combat. Hrm. Could have a one hit mode maybe.

Valaska

Feb 18, 2018
Canada
www.priceforfreedom.net
We've just released build 17 for PFF!
Build17.jpg

Changelog:
  • [Patreon] Moira scene with 2 animated CG and 2 still shots.
  • [Patreon] Main quest part 2.
  • 3 pinups to find.
  • 1 new soundtrack.
  • 5 books collectibles.
  • 4 new animated sprites: Corpse trader, 3 captive girls.
  • Bandit Fort 6 locations.
  • Increase characters running speed.
This update brings in the alternative path for resolving the second Main Story Quest we've added in. This is the second part of the quest, which isn't quite done just yet. We've cut out a special boss fight which was planned for the end of the quest with a destructible enviornment, special abilities, and a whole bunch of little nifty things! But we are holding off to finalize this fight until our combat-rework patch and have added a placeholder boss fight.

This quest will also have a much more overt choice that won't just pay off in the future. The end rewards of this quest depend whether you hand the fort over to Kaldea or Atlathka. Moira of Alenai. Hint hint ;). The Alenai scene has appropriately been moved to after the quest and as always we have provided a save named Build 17 which takes you to the content of this patch. Again... hint hint!

In the future

Our immediate plans are to expand Hiho's content and add her next companion quest... not only that but Moira will have revisit scenes! With all new options and dialogue. I will try and do my best to add in more revisit scenes if time permits, I would eventually like to mirror Aurelia and the way every scene plays out shorter but differently when you revisit them. Try the game out if you haven't! We'd love to hear feedback.