Observation post of the Observer.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
<i>Some time ago… </i>

The sound of foxes yipping comes to you all the way from the courtyard, which you note is distinctly devoid of anyone. Most people have wisely chosen to take cover when [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0|granny Komari|the den matron]'s arguing, and by the sound of it, this looks to be quite the fierce one.

Still, you didn't get to where you are today by shying away from conflict — [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0
|while you were just looking for Hitoshi, this looks like it could use your involvement
|like it or not, these accounts from Kohaku need to be brought up to where they belong
]. Squaring your shoulders, you step over the threshold and are greeted by quite the discordant sight.

On one side is [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0|granny|Lady] Komari, grabbing her cane so tightly her knuckles are white and shaking it in the air furiously. On the other side is Mai, her usual dispassionate demeanour gone, the slight frown and glower in her one uncovered eye more terrifying than anything Miko could ever manage with all the yelling and screaming in the world. Caught between them both, standing slightly off to the side is dependable old Hitoshi, watching the argument proceed apace with folded arms; [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0
|before you know what you're doing, you've already crossed over to him and attached yourself to the crook of his elbow. He doesn't even look down, choosing instead to concentrate on his arguing relatives.
|it looks like a safe vantage point from which to watch the argument, so you cross over to his side — while keeping a respectful and proper distance, of course.
]

<i>"Granny, I've done put up with this here nonsense long enough an' I ain't standin' f'r it no longer. Yer actin' like a kit. Least ya coulda let me get in a word edgeways."</i>

<i>"So what are you doing now?"</i>

Mai bites her lip. <i>"That ain't what I meant, an' ya know it!"</i>

You shake your head and [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0
|tug on Hitoshi's sleeve. <i>"So, this is where you were."</i>

<i>"…"</i>

<i>"What are those two on about? I never thought I'd see the day Mai was incensed enough to start arguing, but here we are."</i>
|clear your throat as discreetly as you can. <i>"Hitoshi?"</i>

<i>"…"</i>

<i>"Might I ask what is going on here? Such a heated argument…"</i>
]

Hitoshi is silent for a little longer as his two kinsmen start their squabbling anew, then [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0
|reaches down and tousles your hair, slipping his fingers beneath your headscarf to scratch behind your ears just the way you like it
|gives you a sidelong glance
]. <i>"You've come at a good time, Kinu. These two started fighting some time ago and haven't stopped since."</i>

<i>"Some time ago being…?"</i>

<i>"Some time."</i> Hitoshi tucks his arms into his sleeves in a show of helplessness. <i>"I walked in on them like this, much as you have, and while my presence here has prevented things from escalating I don't think they're going to stop anytime soon. Call it recitence, perhaps, but I imagine this is an affair for you ladies. Perhaps you're more suited to mediating this matter than I am."</i>

<i>"Gra-nny! How could ya <b>think</b> such a thing, let alone even get to sayin' it!"</i>

<i>"You could start by showing a little more filial piety, girl!"</i>

As the two continue, Hitoshi turns his gaze down at you. He's a good, solid rock all right… but that means his usual strategy is to let other people wear themselves out on him, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon with these two. [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0
|You grin and punch him in the ribs; he doesn't even notice. <i>"All right, then. Let me see if I can't employ a femnine touch to this situation."</i>
|You consider the matter, raising a finger to your lips, then smile. <i>"I will see what I can do."</i>
]

<i>"That would be appreciated."</i>

Well, nothing for it. You clear your throat and move to place yourself between grandmother and granddaughter, and as you expect, the two of them turn upon you in a flash.

<i>"Don't get yourself involved in this, girl! This is family business!"</i>

<i>"Yeah, lil' sis, this ain't none o' yer gods-damned concern, so ya can jus' keep quiet an' — "</i>

You fight the impulse to clench your teeth and soldier on nonetheless. <i>"Look, what started it?"</i>

<i>"Huh. Ya don't say…"</i>

<i>"…"</i>

<i>"…"</i>

Komari scowls at Mai. <i>"…Fine. It's not going to blow over if we keep on going in circles like this. We'll tell Kinu and she can judge whose fault it is. That sit right with you, girl?"</i>

<i>"Eh, that's fine. She ain't married to Hitoshi yet, so I guess she done counts as someone lookin' in from th' outside… 'kay we can do that. An' whatever lil' sis says, it's gonna be final, okay?"</i>

<i>"I can accept that."</i>

You look between the two of them — at least they're on reasoning terms now. A small improvement, perhaps… <i>"So, what happened?"</i>

<i>"Well then. Ya see, lil' sis, I was done worried 'bout granny so I went an' made a present f'r her an' all. Yeah, she don't age none an' neither does she get ill, but sometimes th' cold an' wet done get to her bones… so I finished it an' gave it to her. Granny was really happy until she done took off th' wrappin' cloth an' saw what it was. Then she just got right mad."</i>

<i>"What were you thinking? You can't give me a present like that!"</i>

<i>"Well, ain't that jus' rude! All I wanted was f'r yer bones to hurt none, so I made a belly warmer f'r ya to wear under yer clothes!"</i>

<i>"A belly warmer's for old people, and I'm certainly not that old!"</i>

<i>"Granny, yer two an' a half centuries old. I think that damn well counts as old enough, if'n ya ask me."</i>

You take another look at Komari, half-expecting a retort, but your future grandmother-in-law is angered, anguished and ashen all at once. She may not have outright said it, but you think you know what the true concern is here behind the seemingly petty protestations. Hitoshi's as stolid as ever; you're not getting any help out of him.

<i>"So, lil' sis. Who's in th' wrong here?"</i>

<i>"Please answer."</i>

To be honest here, you <i>could</i> argue that both of them have blown this completely out of proportion, but you know saying they're both in the wrong would just turn them on you before going right back at it. This isn't an answer you can give or they'll accept… which means your reasonable options are limited here.

What to do, what to do…

[Mai][Komari][Hitoshi]

[Mai]

//Mai should have been more considerate of her great-great-grandmother, especially her situation. She may have trouble feeling very much of anything, but that isn't an excuse for her to assume that everyone is as insensate as she is. Komari doesn't need to be reminded of her penance or her past, and that hurts her a lot more than her spine would. When giving a present, you have to keep in mind who it's for, and Mai didn't consider that.

[Komari]

//Komari is being too sensitive about all of this. Mai meant only the best for her, and she should take the gift in the spirit in which it was given, which is far more important than some slight that was never intended in the first place. True, it might have hurt, but there's no way Mai could understand or even imagine things from her perspective as an undying <i>yasha</i>.

[Hitoshi]

//Kitsune Hime Kinu only. Young Inari Kinu will have this option greyed out.

//Blaming Hitoshi might get those two calmed down enough to at least sort this out. It's not <i>right</i> and nor does it make the slightest lick of sense, but those two are clearly emotional and reason isn't going to work. If it'll keep the peace, then you're sure he'll understand.

//(Grey) You are <i><b>not</b></i> going to blame Hitoshi for something he had absolutely no part in and didn't even know of until he stepped in here. That isn't right.

Last edited:

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I’m assuming that’s just a little oversight and there will be a Hime parser variant.

That said, I’m happy to see that Hitoshi will still have a role even on the Kitsune Hime route. I hope this means we can at least have Hime Kinu be besties with him. From the dialogue here, it seems Hime has a lot of respect for him even if she’s not romantically into him. Now I’m wondering what the heck would happen if Hime just diverted things at Hitoshi (not sure if I can make her do that since that’s a dick move either way; I’m sure literally the only reason it’s Hime-exclusive is because he’s not her boyfriend on that route). I feel like Hitoshi probably would take it in stride regardless if it gets his family to settle down, but it still feels wrong. I need to know now.

Geez, Observer, seems you’re not going to stop with the hard choices even once Kinu’s an adult. I love it.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Oversight fixed.

Hime's default setting is "be polite to everyone."

The reason she is willing to pin it on him is because she's more morally flexible in being accepting the ends being justifying of the means. Well, and he isn't her fiance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shura

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
Were I Hitoshi, I'd take that ball and run with it. Yes, totally my fault, whatever shall I do, is seppuku really the only answer?

Then again, I'd see taking the blame as a good way to break the tension, and a good springboard for comedic melodrama. Not necessarily in Hitoshi's wheelhouse, from what I understand.

Reactions: Shura

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Oversight fixed.

Hime's default setting is "be polite to everyone."

The reason she is willing to pin it on him is because she's more morally flexible in being accepting the ends being justifying of the means. Well, and he isn't her fiance.

That too. *shouldn’t make long analytical rambles when half-exhausted and not home*

Hime is perfectly aware it’s a dick move and stupid, but it’s also probably what will get Komari and Mai to calm down and think rationally as opposed to throwing either under the bus.

In any case, Hitoshi would probably be a good sport about it. Especially if he can tell what Kinu is trying to do. I’m gathering from
the short story he’s pretty perceptive outside matters of romance so he’d have no trouble understanding purely pragmatic moves.

I know I would volunteer to be the scapegoat if it’ll give my family members a way to blow off enough steam to talk things out.

Were I Hitoshi, I'd take that ball and run with it. Yes, totally my fault, whatever shall I do, is seppuku really the only answer?

Then again, I'd see taking the blame as a good way to break the tension, and a good springboard for comedic melodrama. Not necessarily in Hitoshi's wheelhouse, from what I understand.

Thinking about it more, I think he’d absolutely roll with whatever Kinu throws at him, minus the comedic side of course, lol. Maybe awkwardly apologize for walking in and (maybe with some little prompts from Kinu) making Granny Komari feel embarrassed and snapping at Mai. Something like that.

Kinu would probably apologize to Hitoshi after things blow over and he’d just shrug and say he’s glad she got things to work out regardless.

In any case, I still hope Hime Kinu would still be friends with Hitoshi. I can see her appreciating him helping out and stuff (I’m anticipating him possibly helping with getting a field set up and running near the shrine and all).

He may be below her station in the whole kitsune hierarchy but she’s a people person who can appreciate good qualities in everyone.

Now I’m curious for any general events involving Nakano. owo

EDIT: Actually, Tristan, I just realized that what you described is absolutely what Nakano would do if he were in the situation. X’D

He’d ham it up so much, Komari and Mai are just eyerolling and internally cringing so hard, they forgot they were angry at each other and end up just calmly sorting things out.

It would be entertaining if Hime can help teach him some common sense, lol. I know Komari is 1000% done with him and his dumbass romanticism and doesn’t approve of him being Hime’s fiancee, but maybe he can be tempered over time like a fine blade.

Kind of in a similar vein to Hitoshi starting to live for more than just himself and opening up to the idea of having someone special to live for.

Gosh, I can’t wait for the content to be out and everyone can compare notes on what happens on each Kinu route.

Last edited:

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Now I’m curious for any general events involving Nakano. owo

It would be entertaining if Hime can help teach him some common sense, lol. I know Komari is 1000% done with him and his dumbass romanticism and doesn’t approve of him being Hime’s fiancee, but maybe he can be tempered over time like a fine blade.

Read The Tale of Genji sometime, if you like fiction; if you don't, some historical texts. The Heian era was incredibly interesting. Men crying because of the beauty of a sunset, poetry, or just beautifully wrapped gifts. People dueling in court affairs in verse -- there is a sense of aesthetics there that is opaque to even related cultures like the Chinese and Koreans, and completely incomprehensible to the western mind. Of course, the complete decadence at court, encouraged by the Fujiwara, fomented the rise of the shogunate, so eh.

What would look like insanity to us from a modern perspective -- samurai would would brainwash themselves with Zen Buddhism to empty their minds and become insane killing machines, then go back and (attempt to) write beautiful verses of poetry. It's a highly romanticised ideal that so many fell short of.

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Read The Tale of Genji sometime, if you like fiction; if you don't, some historical texts. The Heian era was incredibly interesting. Men crying because of the beauty of a sunset, poetry, or just beautifully wrapped gifts. People dueling in court affairs in verse -- there is a sense of aesthetics there that is opaque to even related cultures like the Chinese and Koreans, and completely incomprehensible to the western mind. Of course, the complete decadence at court, encouraged by the Fujiwara, fomented the rise of the shogunate, so eh.

What would look like insanity to us from a modern perspective -- samurai would would brainwash themselves with Zen Buddhism to empty their minds and become insane killing machines, then go back and (attempt to) write beautiful verses of poetry. It's a highly romanticised ideal that so many fell short of.

I’m keeping your recs on my list for when I find time to commit to novels. ;)

Clearly from the docs, his family thinks Nakano is a bit of a dumbass. But I’ll take a look eventually to get an idea of how he actually is before his release.

I mean, I have a good idea in general; just interested in finding out exactly how close he is to the ideals and how his character would play out and all.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Clearly from the docs, his family thinks Nakano is a bit of a dumbass.

Nakano isn't just a dumbass, he's quite insane. The perfect storm of the foreign-born national who resolves his identity issues by strict adherence to his homeland... only the imperial court sees him as quite terrible not just because he's a bloody colonial, which makes him even lower status than a provincial, but also the descendant of someone with an immense black mark on her record that warranted direct divine punishment. The kind of shame is quite a terrible handicap to start with.

So lords and ladies across the ocean promote him, give him a sham of a rank and appointment, give him absolutely no resources, and fully expect him to fail and make a complete ass of the situation. Basically, it's this situation:

5.jpg

The entirety of the colonial regiment, for all its titles, numbers seven, him included. This is meant to cover the entire frontier of the colonies and all the scattered dens. Azami has more wildlings at her disposal than that, and she isn't even a bushi. No logistics. No support, and he's too damned proud to let his ancestor help him. No facilities. And he's somehow expected to keep the peace against barbarians, demons, and worse.

It's either drinking or art, and Komari has told Kohaku to strictly limit how much liquor he's allowed to have, to his eternal shame.

To be fair, his scroll painting isn't bad. If only he wouldn't insist on pig-headedly accompanying every piece with a poem...

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Man, that’s depressing, poor fella. I can understand why he’s so desperate to prove himself given that context and really hope Hime Kinu will be a good influence on him, or at least be a voice of reason so he doesn’t do anything stupid(ly suicidal). He better not break my daughter’s heart in any case or I’m going to turn him into a rug if something else doesn’t do it first.

Yeah, Nakano is the one thing left giving me anxiety about being locked to Hime route at this point. X’D Hitoshi is a solid and reliable guy, so I know Inari Kinu will be well cared for. Nakano........

He’s a bright and talented fella, but his samurai glory dreams have me VERY worried. Especially if he’s taking my baby girl along for the ride (and she’ll be there even if he tries to keep her out of it, because even if she’s a refined princess, she’s still KINU). >;[

I am feeling encouraged regardless by the fact Kinu will still be having events occur where we play as her. Just curious, but what do those events affect (if anything) now that Kinu is an adult?

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
<i>Some time ago…</i>

Stepping into [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0|granny's|the den matron's] chambers, you're greeted by the sight of not just Komari herself, but Mother at her side by the window. Your mother [kiyoko.pregStage 2
|has a miniature tree in a porcelain basin balanced atop her big, pregnant belly as she waddles over to set it down on the windowsill by another one side by side
|is carefully carrying a miniature tree in a porcelain basin, hefting it onto the windowsill with a grunt of effort beside another one of its kind
]. Together, liege and retainer step back to admire their handiwork in the wan sunlight streaming into the room.

<i>"It takes you back, does it not? We used to do this so often as girls…"</i> Mother reaches out, adjusts her basin just a little for the tiny leaves and branches to catch the light perfectly. <i>"Simply being here, doing this… it is but a small feat of shaping, yet it makes my heart ache."</i>

<i>"Indeed, would you look at my bonsai, Myobu-sama. Such hue and vibrancy to the bark, such fine pruning… what do you think? It's truly a splendid bonsai, isn't it? I daresay there's none better in the world."</i>

<i>"Hmmnn."</i> Mother raises a finger to her lips. <i>"I would say that my technique and results are better, Komari. My bonsai has that — "</i>

<i>"…Begging your pardon, my liege, I do not mean to be contentious… but no, it does not."</i>

Kiyoko considers that for a moment. <i>"Komari, you know that I am not in the habit of lying to spare peoples' feelings."</i>

<i>"…It can't be better. There's no bonsai in the world that's better than my Ryunosuke bonsai."</i>

Liege and retainer lock gazes for several seconds at this sudden show of most uncharacteristic and shameful defiance, then Mother mulls it over for a little while more. <i>"Ryunosuke. Wasn't that the name of… ah."</i>

<i>"…"</i>

<i>"Perhaps I was wrong,"</i> Mother continues. <i>"Your bonsai truly is a fine and unparalleled work of shaping, Komari."</i>

<i>"Isn't it? Don't you agree, Myobu-sama?"</i>

<i>"Yes."</i> Slowly, Mother picks up the basin again, hefting it up in her hands[kiyoko.pregStage 2| and using her pregnant belly for support]. <i>"I'm afraid I must leave you now, though. [kiyoko.numKits 1|Kinu needs|my children need] me back at the den."</i>

<i>"Safe travels, my liege."</i>

You step aside and duck out of sight behind a nearby pillar as Mother sweeps past you on her way out, her [kiyoko.kiyokoTails] tails trailing behind her grandiosely with utmost refinement, as always. Part of you wonders if you should go help your mother with her burden, but you know that approaching her right now might complicate matters in an awkward way.

Still, [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0|granny's|the den matron's] going to be in a melancholy mood after this… [kinu.kinuAdultPersonality 0
|you ought to make your business quick and be back in the fields before long
|you ought to be on your toes around her today
].

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Thank you for reminding me I have not sanitised some posts, and therefore ruining a thing for everyone else.

These documents are no longer open to the public.

Reactions: Greyfox643

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I managed to look at one of the docs before the nuke, and I have to say, I'm VERY happy with being on Kitsune Hime route now. Also, Hitoshi is still Best Boi regardless of route.

I was going to make a comment on Nakano (and a few other things), but since the docs are gone, I'll keep that to myself for now. :p

Last edited:

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
First of all, thank you so much for re-releasing the Adult Kinu doc; it makes me so happy to finally be able to look at the Adult Kinus side-by-side to get an accurate gauge of them. And I have to say, I’m very impressed with how well you made them so different and yet the same at their very core.

Inari parts have a very bittersweet edge to them. It’s certainly wonderful that this Kinu is every bit as bubbly and energetic as she was as a child, and of course doing what she loves even if it is “beneath” her station. At the same time though, the tension between her and Kiyoko is pretty heartbreaking. While Inari may have forged a completely different path on her own and is an amazing person in her own right, she definitely has a BIG problem with rationalizing away her choices/opinions while putting down other people’s (especially her mother’s). And unfortunately, Kiyoko can be quite stubborn herself. The end result is that mother and daughter are constantly at odds with each other and Inari is just counting down the days to which she can just get married and leave. Which isn’t an unusual narrative in households the kid is at odds with the parent(s), but what makes this actually tragic is that we KNOW things can be mended if they could just compromise and meet in the middle. But, bless the Good Boy Hitoshi, there just might be a chance of that at some point. Maybe they still won’t see eye-to-eye, but they could at least stop the cycle of resentment.

Hime parts, on the other hand, felt surprisingly comforting to read. I was concerned about her being stuffy and maybe naively arrogant, but Hime Kinu is actually just as humble as Inari Kinu when it comes to what she will or will not accomplish at least (difference being Hime actually has ambition and wants to make expectations of her reality, while Inari just wants a quiet life dedicated to her craft and doesn’t care either way). And despite her very formal manner of speech, I was surprised at how natural it felt. It definitely reads like someone who is sincerely kind and pleasant by default, shaped by years of practice to the point it’s second nature and just seeing the good in everyone. Even though she takes strongly after her mother in style of dress and elegance, she is still very much her own person. There’s a certain powerfully genuine warmth that radiates from her speech that makes people can’t help but love her. The kindness and comfort that draws people in and makes them feel cared for. Because they are cared for.

It’s actually kind of funny how ironic it is that I thought Inari would be the wiser of the two Kinus way back when Hime was still called “Elegant Slut” and the most informative detail we got is that Inari gets a good reliable guy as a fiancée. After reading this doc though, turns out Inari is the prat rather than Hime because DANG GIRL, does it hurt to swallow your pride a bit and at least NOT be a dick to people with opinions you don’t like? And does it hurt to be more considerate and not assume everyone is just like you? That dialogue where she insists her mother was completely wrong to want to prioritize worker comfort over maximizing production and absolutely refusing to compromise because Kiyoko is “objectively wrong” (that’s the tone I get anyway) really rubbed me the wrong way because it reminds me too much of the sorts of people I can’t stand being around. Same with how she absolutely demonizes her mother and refuses to acknowledge her own behavior as contributing to their strained relationship, and of course getting pissy at her siblings and PC for pointing out that she’s like her mom because she refuses to compromise just like her.

It is very ironic but not surprising in the least that Inari, instead of Hime, is the one getting all the negative comparisons. And her complete lack of self-awareness........Well, I didn’t think it was possible for her WIS score to drop into negative territory, but it did. orz

If we didn’t know better, it would seem almost like she’s trying to piss people off with how egocentric she is. True to form, she is a genius who never took the time to cultivate her social skills at all. Instead, she just ASSUMES she knows what people are thinking and jumping to conclusions left and right without ever thinking there’s other possibilities and she should try to get them cleared up.

And that’s why Hime is the one who got the WIS bump. Because she chose to spend the 8-year Astral Timeskip sitting down and learning about her mother and each of her siblings, she understands how people tick. She used her astronomical intellect to train her wisdom. Rather than deciding anyone who doesn’t “get” her is not worth talking to, she actively reached out and learned to see the beauty and worth in every person. She treats everyone as an equal despite her station because in her mind, they ARE equals. They are real people with real hopes, dreams, and struggles.

Actually, so far I find it interesting that the only thing that comes off as “maneater”-ish about Hime is how she dresses. She’s like a sweet loving Disney Princess otherwise from what I can tell so far. But I’m guessing maybe that’s more a thing she does when hanging with friends or in (future) combat?

Semi-related, HECK YES HIME STILL LOVES PEACHES!!!!!! I know it sounds silly, but I felt a little sad for some reason when Inari stopped liking them in the short story. may also be biased because white peaches are definitely my fave fruit, lol

Anyways, thank you to everyone who read through this horribly rambly wall of text XD

I will close with just one question to @The Observer: When Inari talked about Kiyoko never telling her about being royalty, is that actually a truth (whether it be because Kiyoko doesn’t say anything regardless of Route or she just didn’t tell Inari for some reason) or did Inari just never listened/blew things off? Asking both because Hime mentions seeing the role she was meant to fill and Inari comes off as an unreliable narrator when it comes to her mom/

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
After reading this doc though, turns out Inari is the prat rather than Hime because DANG GIRL, does it hurt to swallow your pride a bit and at least NOT be a dick to people with opinions you don’t like? And does it hurt to be more considerate and not assume everyone is just like you?

I don't see the problem at all. Why, you teach your daughter to be independent and seek her desires regardless of social approval, to stand up for herself and advocate for her opinions in the face of opposition, to speak her mind and not suppress her emotions for the sake of being polite, to have a strong and unflinching sense of right and wrong instead of going along to get along...

...And are surprised when she does just that.

Ah, the joy of the monkey's paw.

Certainly teaching your daughter to be morally flexible, to put other peoples' needs, desires and emotions ahead of her own, to put on a brave front and not be a wet blanket, to do as she's told and place other peoples' opinions above her own by trusting them to know better, to empty herself for social acceptance and conform to society's demands of her, to be dependent on others and reflexively seek help when faced with seemingly insurmountable difficulties... couldn't go wrong at all, either.

Rather than deciding anyone who doesn’t “get” her is not worth talking to, she actively reached out and learned to see the beauty and worth in every person. She treats everyone as an equal despite her station because in her mind, they ARE equals. They are real people with real hopes, dreams, and struggles.

I hope to hurt you just as terribly with Hime's dialogue about and events with Nakano. Her stubborn refusal to give up on a man whose own family has more or less consigned him to the dogs and dregs will hopefully be just as terrible a knife to the heart.

Last edited:

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
I don't see the problem at all. Why, you teach your daughter to be independent and seek her desires regardless of social approval, to stand up for herself and advocate for her opinions in the face of opposition, to speak her mind and not suppress her emotions for the sake of being polite, to have a strong and unflinching sense of right and wrong instead of going along to get along...

...And are surprised when she does just that.

Ah, the joy of the monkey's paw.

Certainly teaching your daughter to be morally flexible, to put other peoples' needs, desires and emotions ahead of her own, to put on a brave front and not be a wet blanket, to do as she's told and place other peoples' opinions above her own by trusting them to know better, to empty herself for social acceptance and conform to society's demands of her, to be dependent on others and reflexively seek help when faced with seemingly insurmountable difficulties... couldn't go wrong at all, either.

I hope to hurt you just as terribly with Hime's dialogue about and events with Nakano. Her stubborn refusal to give up on a man whose own family has more or less consigned him to the dogs and dregs will hopefully be just as terrible a knife to the heart.

I knew I was asking for this when I wrote that essay given you’ve already said there’s no “right” route, and Hime’s cons aren’t shown yet. :p

And I didn’t say there’s anything wrong at all with Inari being the prat; just that it went against Past Me’s expectations with what little info we had (plus how these stories typically turn out).

What went unspoken was the question of what the con of Hime will be (given a sizable chunk of her dialogue is currently unwritten/unpublished) so thanks for this. ;)

Either way though, I’m still happy with my choice on the basic level and can’t wait to see if I’m going to end up wanting to gut Nakano or if Komari will do that for me.

It’ll be like Tristan said once though; Kinu will find herself more or less the same person she was as a kid eventually. I don’t think Hime is that dependent so far but there probably will be an event demonstrating that more clearly when she doesn’t have anyone’s guidance to help her.

Mayhaps the ultimate ending to both routes is Kinu finding Balance one way or another.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Well, it's almost the end of the month again, so it's time for the monthly report.

Unsurprisingly, I have been working on what I've been working on. After finishing Komari's content, I've moved directly onto Adult Kinu, who is effectively two characters. I've done 51,000 words of her content so far; I need to get in about twelve total randomised scenes for spending time with her, six inari, six hime, and we can call her basic content a wrap with a basic schedule, randomised talk scenes, petting and spending time with your grown-up daughter. She won't have as much of a reaction to you becoming a kitsune as the others do because of your familial relations and her personality overriding any additional deference she might she might show you because of your position.

Inari will interact with you in ways that Hime won't, and the other way around:

Kinu makes to remove her headscarf when you reach out for her, but as soon as she realises that you're going for her cheeks and not her head she cringes and draws back sharply, arms raised defensively in front of her face.

<i>"Dad, it's not that I don't like you or anything, but… but I don't want this. I'm not a kid any more."</i>

<i>"So just let it go, okay? It's not something we can do like we used to."</i> Your fox-daughter looks left, right, then heaves a sigh, her ears curling further downward. <i>"This is getting awkward, Dad. I'm going to go for now. See you tomorrow, okay?"</i>

Without waiting for so much as a by-your-leave or even a reply, Kinu turns tail and pads off across the fields. She doesn't look back.

[party.has kiyoko
|

<i>"Well, that's our daughter,"</i> Kiyoko says curtly, arms folded under her bosom. <i>"She's all grown-up and independent now; doesn't need her parents any more. So be it, then."</i>
]

She's right, though. Some things <i>have</i> changed; the past has been consumed by time's fire, leaving only memories.

And sometimes memories are best left as such…

The moment she sees you reaching for her tails, the small, pleasant smile on Kinu's face melts into a frown; your fox-daughter steps back defensively, her body reacting on instinct. Realising what she's doing, Kinu looks at you askance and clears her throat awkwardly.

<i>"Forgive me, Father… but what you are asking of me is impossible, and not just because I am no longer a child."</i>

<i>"For a maiden of my lineage and social standing, for the kind of person whom I need to be, my tails are reserved for my future husband and children alone. No one else, not even you or Mother, would be able to partake of them without — ah, hopefully you understand…</i>

<i>"My deepest and most sincere apologies, but nothing can be done about it."</i>

There's that Old Country phrase again, in its various translations into Belharan. <i>It can't be helped. Nothing can be done about it.</i>

<i>"I am no longer a kit, Father, and some things, while memorable in my youth, have passed into time's fire and are no longer possible, no longer recreatable even though we may try. Please… do not make the attempt, even in jest. It cannot end well.</i>

<i>"I… I am going to take my leave now."</i>

Without waiting for so much as a reply, Kinu turns tail and pads off; she doesn't look back.

[party.has kiyoko
|

<i>"Well, that's our daughter,"</i> Kiyoko says, coming up to you. <i>"She's not wrong, you know."</i>
]

She's right. Some things <i>have</i> changed; the past has been consumed by time's fire, leaving only memories.

And sometimes memories are best left as such…

After this, I'll probably be working on either Ragnild's repeatable sex and possibly preg, or work on converting most of Kiyoko's old content to companion content. There's a bunch of stuff that needs to be done -- recruitment, tweaking old scenes, writing new ones for campsite, scenes to support her pregnancy mechanics. She'll have a pretty short gestation time of roughly twelve weeks w/o speed-up -- two weeks with, and you can always feed your fox-wife to accelerate her pregnancies if you still need those thirty-two kits NOW.

That being said:

The haus was originally going to appear next patch, but due to some scheduling and other internal matters it should probably appear the one after that. That's perfectly fine with me, since it's tuned for level 5, which should be soon, without the (TM). From level 5 onwards, we're going to try to make you use at least one or two of your three ultimates in a dungeon, which means that as things are the encounters are going to be overtuned somewhat. Then there's also the upcoming item and mechanics rebalance, which will shake things up somewhat.

Long story short: when the haus is released, I expect you all to die. A lot. Well, unless Drake can get level 5 in beforehand, in which case I expect you all to die slightly less. I'll be closing off the document shortly before the patch in question, so everyone who didn't get a peek can have a fun time figuring out strategies and actually remembering that sense exists. I had a lot of fun designing the bosses and working with Balaknightfang to get them implemented; you will definitely need the fine control that manual control of all your party members will require. Let's just say that tanking and spanking isn't going to cut it. For those who aren't so into combat, that's fine; you don't strictly need to win to progress the storyline, after all.

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
I have the Amulet of Union and a champion tuned for Ultimate Sexiness, so I'll rate my odds at better than average... provided I don't run into that drider bitch...

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Well, it's almost the end of the month again, so it's time for the monthly report.

Unsurprisingly, I have been working on what I've been working on. After finishing Komari's content, I've moved directly onto Adult Kinu, who is effectively two characters. I've done 51,000 words of her content so far; I need to get in about twelve total randomised scenes for spending time with her, six inari, six hime, and we can call her basic content a wrap with a basic schedule, randomised talk scenes, petting and spending time with your grown-up daughter. She won't have as much of a reaction to you becoming a kitsune as the others do because of your familial relations and her personality overriding any additional deference she might she might show you because of your position.

Inari will interact with you in ways that Hime won't, and the other way around:

After this, I'll probably be working on either Ragnild's repeatable sex and possibly preg, or work on converting most of Kiyoko's old content to companion content. There's a bunch of stuff that needs to be done -- recruitment, tweaking old scenes, writing new ones for campsite, scenes to support her pregnancy mechanics. She'll have a pretty short gestation time of roughly twelve weeks w/o speed-up -- two weeks with, and you can always feed your fox-wife to accelerate her pregnancies if you still need those thirty-two kits NOW.

That being said:

The haus was originally going to appear next patch, but due to some scheduling and other internal matters it should probably appear the one after that. That's perfectly fine with me, since it's tuned for level 5, which should be soon, without the (TM). From level 5 onwards, we're going to try to make you use at least one or two of your three ultimates in a dungeon, which means that as things are the encounters are going to be overtuned somewhat. Then there's also the upcoming item and mechanics rebalance, which will shake things up somewhat.

Long story short: when the haus is released, I expect you all to die. A lot. Well, unless Drake can get level 5 in beforehand, in which case I expect you all to die slightly less. I'll be closing off the document shortly before the patch in question, so everyone who didn't get a peek can have a fun time figuring out strategies and actually remembering that sense exists. I had a lot of fun designing the bosses and working with Balaknightfang to get them implemented; you will definitely need the fine control that manual control of all your party members will require. Let's just say that tanking and spanking isn't going to cut it. For those who aren't so into combat, that's fine; you don't strictly need to win to progress the storyline, after all.

Just to be clear. Kinu will only turn you down for specific pettings and not all of them, right? Since you did say pettings in general are an option. ^^;

*distressed floof demon noises because I want to pet my baby girl*

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Just to be clear. Kinu will only turn you down for specific pettings and not all of them, right? Since you did say pettings in general are an option. ^^;

*distressed floof demon noises because I want to pet my baby girl*

Where she will let you pet her depends on which personality she has taken. Head and ears are always A-ok. Tails is inari only. Face is hime only. Etc, etc, etc.

Reactions: Shura and valkyr42

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
While Kinu is distracted, Kiyoko leans over to you and whispers into your ear. "You do know that a man has been here in our daughter's chambers, right?"

Wait, what?

"I can scent it, but there are other tell-tale signs. Well, she is so independent and resolute these days; added to the fact that she is left to her devices so often, I'm honestly not surprised. Hmph. Our girl probably seduced him to begin with, that's my guess."

She… she seems to care less than you thought she would…

"Our daughter just wants to get married and leave; just as children catch onto more than their parents imagine, the reverse also applies. Please, I know more than she gives me credit for as her mother. I was young once, and had many sisters as well."

"She is my heir, you know. If she continues like this, there's little doubt that she's going to wind up pregnant sooner or later. Maybe that's her plan."

unknown.png

~~Two nights ago~~

Oooohh noooo~

Husband-sama is ploughing me into the ground

I'm in a position like this, no different from an animal

And I'm completely pinned down

Getting fucked by a strong male who wants to get me pregnant

I feel so haaaappppyyy~

Daughter finally realises what her mother sees in all this, more news at 11.