In the custom characters posted in this threvery welle are entries like

"ai-modifiers": [
{
"type":"skill",
"value":"nightgames.skills.AssFuck",
"weight":6.0
}
]

Can someone please explain what kind of influence positive and negative weights have on NPC behavior? I tried looking into the source, but I wasn't able to understand how it's factored in exactly.

These values are incentives for the AI. Basically, every turn all skills are evaluated to see which works best, and that information is condensed into a score. The AI modifiers alter that score, increasing or decreasing the chance the skill will be picked. 

When the "type" entry is Skill, then the value is added simply to that skill's score. For positions, the value is instead used whenever a skill causes that position, and when the combatants are already in that position and the skill doesn't change that. Status entries are applied to skills causing that status to be applied to the character, other-status does the same for statuses inflicted upon the opponent. 

We really need a guide for all of this.

Last edited by a moderator:

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
"victory" : [{
"requirements" :
{
"reverse": {
"result": "anal"
}
},
"text" : "She wins by fucking your ass"
}, {
"requirements" :
{
"result": "anal"
},
"text" : "She wins by you fucking her ass"
}, {
"requirements" :
{
"result" : "intercourse"
}
"text" : "She wins by fucking you"
},

The above is an excerpt from rosea.json and I'd like some explanation of a few different things to help with coding my own characters:

1. A list of "results" would be great, I tried oral, SixNine, Anal, anallyPenetrated, but I can't figure out exactly what I can fill these variables with in order to flesh out the ending scenes.

2. I want to know if "anal" as above applies to femdom anal or reverse cowgirl anal or how that's decided.  It'll immensely help with writing the scenes.

3. Included in the download is a data file for DefaultComments.  If I include similar coding on the individual newcharacter.json file, will it parse, or do I have to add it into DefaultComments in order for it to load?

Those are the three things that have limited my progress the most, I hope with these answered, I can start pumping out a few different characters to run around with me that are easily uploaded and shared.  To me, the best solution is to include a HowTo readme in the character's folder upon download with a few different explanations since most of the other stuff can be deduced from samantha.json and rosea.json.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
1. A list of "results" would be great, I tried oral, SixNine, Anal, anallyPenetrated, but I can't figure out exactly what I can fill these variables with in order to flesh out the ending scenes.

The ResultRequirement is but one of many, all of which can be found in this folder: https://github.com/dndw/nightgamesmod/tree/master/NightgamesMod/nightgames/requirements

Each of them has a brief explanation of what it checks. To answer your question, the possible results are in this file: https://github.com/dndw/nightgamesmod/blob/master/NightgamesMod/nightgames/combat/Result.java

HOWEVER, only three of them are used for describing the final state of combat (which is what is checked when choosing a scene): "anal" for when the player is anally fucking the character, "intercourse" for regular sex (no matter who is on which end), and "normal" for all other cases. This could probably do with a little expansion. For now, if you use any other result type, the scene won't show up.

2. I want to know if "anal" as above applies to femdom anal or reverse cowgirl anal or how that's decided.  It'll immensely help with writing the scenes.

As I mentioned, "anal" applies when the NPC is fucking the player's ass. There are a few options if you want to catch other scenarios, they involve using different requirements. For example:

- The NPC fucking the player's ass? (The syntax is a little weird because AnalRequirement does not require additional information, but to keep the JSON valid there needs to be something there. I chose an empty string, but it can be anything you like)

"requirements": {
"reverse": {"anal":""}
}

"anal" (as a requirement, not a result) means that the character checking the requirement must be anally penetrated. "reverse" means that the requirement must be checked from the player's perspective, rather than the NPC's.

- The NPC riding in anal cowgirl?

"position": "AnalCowgirl",
"dom": ""
}

"dom" means "dominant", so the NPC must be the one on top in this case.

- The player fucking the pussy of an NPC who is either a soul-sucking succubus or who also has a dick, while that NPC is in a prone position and the player has an upgraded dildo on them? (Really?)

"result": "intercourse",
"inserted": ""
}
"or": [
{
"and": [
{
"trait":"soulsucker"
},{
"trait":"succubus"
}
]
},{
"bodypart":"cock"
}
],
"prone": "",
"item": "Dildo2"
}
}

3. Included in the download is a data file for DefaultComments.  If I include similar coding on the individual newcharacter.json file, will it parse, or do I have to add it into DefaultComments in order for it to load?

You can add it in the NPC file, like so:

<all other stuff goes here>

"comments": [
{
"situation": "SELF_BOUND",
"comment": "Oh, no! You have tied my hands!"
}
]

A list of comment situations can be found here: https://github.com/dndw/nightgamesmod/blob/master/NightgamesMod/nightgames/characters/custom/CommentSituation.java

The formatting is terrible (sorry), but they use the same requirement system as the scenes.

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
Great! That's really what I was having trouble with. I wasn't sure how to break apart separate position scenes, seems like requirement gates are the way to go. Thanks for explaining this stuff, I feel like it's pretty obvious now and that I should have tested stuff further on my own end. I'm liking the way this is all laid out, it's pretty easy to work with.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Man it would totally kick ass if more than those 3 conditions were checked for victory scenes. Also, maybe someone with a big heart could bring it over themselves to make it easier to write custom characters? A manual similar to the one for starting conditions would be nice and maybe a list for what can be done and what needs to be there for the character to work.

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
Man it would totally kick ass if more than those 3 conditions were checked for victory scenes. Also, maybe someone with a big heart could bring it over themselves to make it easier to write custom characters? A manual similar to the one for starting conditions would be nice and maybe a list for what can be done and what needs to be there for the character to work.

Yeah, I'm trying to get a custom character built up and finished, I'd say I'm 40% done. 5-6 more scenes, commentary, pics, and a.i. tweaking left to do.  Once that's done, I think I'll have a pretty developed template for people to play around with.

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
Three things - two problems, one update:

One: I think Kat is busted, I'm not getting her to show up in any way with version 2_1_0_2, even on previous saves where she's unlocked.

Two: Anal isn't working with standing behind opponent.  I think some of the triggers for positions aren't flagging quite right.  What I mean by this is that if I use maneuver on a naked opponent and assfuck to victory or defeat, it's not reading the result as anal.

Three: I've got about three scenes left to write and I want to do some continuity work with the character I'm building and then I'm finished up. If anyone was interested, it's a size-fetish witch and depending on the different situations for defeat, she shrinks you and wins.  If that's up your alley or you just want to play with more characters, I'll post her up here when she's done. Due to laziness, I didn't set her code her stories to really work well with anything other than PC is male with dick, and she's using a strap-on if anything.  After I post my character up here, I'll post some how-tos for character creation for the game and then hopefully other people can start making their own NPCs :D

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
Three things - two problems, one update:

One: I think Kat is busted, I'm not getting her to show up in any way with version 2_1_0_2, even on previous saves where she's unlocked.

Two: Anal isn't working with standing behind opponent.  I think some of the triggers for positions aren't flagging quite right.  What I mean by this is that if I use maneuver on a naked opponent and assfuck to victory or defeat, it's not reading the result as anal.

Three: I've got about three scenes left to write and I want to do some continuity work with the character I'm building and then I'm finished up. If anyone was interested, it's a size-fetish witch and depending on the different situations for defeat, she shrinks you and wins.  If that's up your alley or you just want to play with more characters, I'll post her up here when she's done. Due to laziness, I didn't set her code her stories to really work well with anything other than PC is male with dick, and she's using a strap-on if anything.  After I post my character up here, I'll post some how-tos for character creation for the game and then hopefully other people can start making their own NPCs :D

There hasn't been a lot of activity here lately for whatever reason, but you have my show of interest. Size stuff is pretty cool, and I'm always into tinkering.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
There hasn't been a lot of activity here lately for whatever reason

Mostly due to a combination of more important things to do and lack of inspiration. Jewel's addiction is functionally complete (subject to balancing), it's the scenes that are killing me. I've decided to do just a single daytime scene (instead of 3), but even that one I've now written and scrapped multiple times due to shitty quality. At some point I'll get a slightly non-shitty version, and then it won't take long to get an update out.

On the bright side, said more important things involve me building a game-ish AI, and I might be able to use the same techniques here. That should improve matters greatly, if it works out alright.

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
Mostly due to a combination of more important things to do and lack of inspiration. Jewel's addiction is functionally complete (subject to balancing), it's the scenes that are killing me. I've decided to do just a single daytime scene (instead of 3), but even that one I've now written and scrapped multiple times due to shitty quality. At some point I'll get a slightly non-shitty version, and then it won't take long to get an update out.

On the bright side, said more important things involve me building a game-ish AI, and I might be able to use the same techniques here. That should improve matters greatly, if it works out alright.

No worries, I wasn't bashing anyone for not being active here. Even if the reason is no interest, that's just how it goes. I understand your difficulty with writing though; I had the same problem making a custom character (and some scenes for pre-existing characters) for the vanilla game. Writing something that seems "good enough" is definitely the tough part.

Can you tell us anything about your new AI? It sounds like it's a stand-alone project, but the field is interesting and I'd like to hear how it might interact with NG.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
No worries, I wasn't bashing anyone for not being active here. Even if the reason is no interest, that's just how it goes. I understand your difficulty with writing though; I had the same problem making a custom character (and some scenes for pre-existing characters) for the vanilla game. Writing something that seems "good enough" is definitely the tough part.

Can you tell us anything about your new AI? It sounds like it's a stand-alone project, but the field is interesting and I'd like to hear how it might interact with NG.

Heh, I'd just skip Jewel altogether, but since she's a core character I feel like I have to at least put in something.

I'm not going to go into detail on my other project, since it's in a quite specific and small (decidedly non-smutty) field and I really don't want these two worlds mixing. That said, it involves me designing and using behavior trees, which are a very useful tool for game AI. I knew about these before, but I hadn't actually worked with them. Implementing them for Night Games would be quite a challenge, but hopefully the experience I gain with the other project will offer some insights. Ideally, it would allow a combination of sculpted, pre-determined behavior (which is predictable and therefore boring) and heuristically influenced random decisions (which is the current system, somewhat dumb, and therefore somewhat boring). It would sort of provide a strong bias towards certain actions, but leaving some randomness for variety. The main advantage is that we could set up things like combos and long-term strategies. The current AI only looks ahead one turn, and influencing this through the AI modifier system only goes so far.

For example, if I wanted a character to first charm the player, then push them down, then mount them and then start fucking them, the only way I could do that right now is by saying "being on top of your opponent is good" and "your opponent being charmed is good", and hope for the best. I could also use the modifiers to say "charm is extra good" or "fucking is extra good", but it's still hit-and-miss. With behavior trees I could set up a sequence of specific moves to accomplish that goal, which the AI would follow. As long as there are enough such pre-constructed tactics and there is some smarter somewhat-random decision process to fill the space between them, things won't get repetitive.

This is all long-term, however, since it's going to be a bitch to properly balance even when it's finally created.

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
dndw, have you ever considered making your own project more as opposed to doing Night Games? Considering how all over the place the code is and that you're essentially working off what Negrante and Silver Bard did, maybe if you wanted to implement something like that, it could be kinda its own thing, meant for a more adaptable thing. It would be interesting to have a game that's 100% sexfights like fusega was (http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8451257/ for reference) and being all modular and mod friendly.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015

Jewel has always been hard to write, which may be a sign that she's not a well-conceived character. Hell, I still have a placeholder for her first game scene that I need to replace one of these days.

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
I think the game needs a further endgame right now. Balancing the fight system is interesting from an A.I. creation perspective, but I think that most anyone who plays will get past the system to enjoy the game and then find that it "ends" around level 40 and turns to repetitive choices or unwinnable fights (got a lvl 50+ game where Angel has >1k arousal and a shit ton of willpower, aka, an Angel became the Whore of Babylon). It's not a bad game at that point, but there is definitely a focus shift in the game from the earlier levels. Since the gameplay is relatively linear from a storytelling perspective, you're going to have people playing to 30/40, and replay value comes from choosing different stats to progress - most people will find their own interests and choose them with the first playthrough and then try something a little different on the second playthrough and maybe try a third with something zany.

What it seems to be missing to me, is a payoff to the story.  NightGames tend to make sense in how they progress (stats up for everybody, more focused characters as time goes on), but the story right now is dependent on characters and isn't gated by decisions. You can be everybody's buddy and fucking everybody is encouraged, that's okay by me, but I think the game could benefit from a Reyka vs Angel or a Cassie vs Mara angle (without having them be truly antagonistic so much as have gating decisions or plot forking).  If you go to study science, you learn that magic will short circuit the sensitive danglebobs if you have arcane body parts. If you have dark powers, it will be a bitch to get them removed if you want to become divine. The body-mod side of this game has always seemed a little bit of a weak part of the character building aspect, and maybe it can be exploited to further this sort of process (caveat: it's your game, do what you like).  If you're going to have a game that people replay for entertainment, you need to have a few plot forks to keep the character stories individualized or else there is no punishment for dumping a character into the dustbin.  While I like the fact that I can do everything, and that's my PC's strength in the long run, I don't like that I feel like my only impact was a few fleeting relationships in college. Maybe a plot choice or three would help me feel like, "This guy is a.... He wants...." more than the current system.

End game suggestion: Let us pick the opponents for the night in some fashion or at least two of the opponents as a reward for winning more nights than we lost or something.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
I think the game needs a further endgame right now. Balancing the fight system is interesting from an A.I. creation perspective, but I think that most anyone who plays will get past the system to enjoy the game and then find that it "ends" around level 40 and turns to repetitive choices or unwinnable fights (got a lvl 50+ game where Angel has >1k arousal and a shit ton of willpower, aka, an Angel became the Whore of Babylon). It's not a bad game at that point, but there is definitely a focus shift in the game from the earlier levels. Since the gameplay is relatively linear from a storytelling perspective, you're going to have people playing to 30/40, and replay value comes from choosing different stats to progress - most people will find their own interests and choose them with the first playthrough and then try something a little different on the second playthrough and maybe try a third with something zany.

What it seems to be missing to me, is a payoff to the story.  NightGames tend to make sense in how they progress (stats up for everybody, more focused characters as time goes on), but the story right now is dependent on characters and isn't gated by decisions. You can be everybody's buddy and fucking everybody is encouraged, that's okay by me, but I think the game could benefit from a Reyka vs Angel or a Cassie vs Mara angle (without having them be truly antagonistic so much as have gating decisions or plot forking).  If you go to study science, you learn that magic will short circuit the sensitive danglebobs if you have arcane body parts. If you have dark powers, it will be a bitch to get them removed if you want to become divine. The body-mod side of this game has always seemed a little bit of a weak part of the character building aspect, and maybe it can be exploited to further this sort of process (caveat: it's your game, do what you like).  If you're going to have a game that people replay for entertainment, you need to have a few plot forks to keep the character stories individualized or else there is no punishment for dumping a character into the dustbin.  While I like the fact that I can do everything, and that's my PC's strength in the long run, I don't like that I feel like my only impact was a few fleeting relationships in college. Maybe a plot choice or three would help me feel like, "This guy is a.... He wants...." more than the current system.

End game suggestion: Let us pick the opponents for the night in some fashion or at least two of the opponents as a reward for winning more nights than we lost or something.

I wrote up a much longer reply to this, but my internet connection died and I lost it. Excuse my brevity.

I can only speak to the base game, but my content will probably be integrated into the mod, so it should be applicable.

I'm planning on the ending storylines to start between levels 40-50. They will be my main priority when I return to working on Night Games, but I expect them to take a very long time to write and implement. I have vague ideas for most of my own characters (sorry Reyka and Samantha) and a very specific idea for Mara's which I was working on before I took a break. There will be some late-game plot forks that will exclude other endings. There will also be some mechanical forking as well since each girl's specialization skillset (like hypnosis and temporal manipulation) will be mutually exclusive. Body mods won't be a factor since they don't appear in the main game. Also, Angel is a succubus in the main game, so that will be different.

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
I wrote up a much longer reply to this, but my internet connection died and I lost it. Excuse my brevity.

I can only speak to the base game, but my content will probably be integrated into the mod, so it should be applicable.

I'm planning on the ending storylines to start between levels 40-50. They will be my main priority when I return to working on Night Games, but I expect them to take a very long time to write and implement. I have vague ideas for most of my own characters (sorry Reyka and Samantha) and a very specific idea for Mara's which I was working on before I took a break. There will be some late-game plot forks that will exclude other endings. There will also be some mechanical forking as well since each girl's specialization skillset (like hypnosis and temporal manipulation) will be mutually exclusive. Body mods won't be a factor since they don't appear in the main game. Also, Angel is a succubus in the main game, so that will be different.

That sounds great! I was trying to express my thoughts as I work and play the mod, and I'm glad you've seen and planned to overcome some of the same frustrations I'm feeling. People keep talking about systems upgrades, but 100% optimization is when people get too fed up with the system to work on it as far as I've ever seen (but I'm not much of a systems planner anyway, so my opinion there is biased). I was trying to express that there isn't enough plot yet to justify the setting. If you got your own plans, keep them until they're done. Glad we've got someone working on that end of things since the most I can do is my own little side project :D

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
dndw, have you ever considered making your own project more as opposed to doing Night Games? Considering how all over the place the code is and that you're essentially working off what Negrante and Silver Bard did, maybe if you wanted to implement something like that, it could be kinda its own thing, meant for a more adaptable thing. It would be interesting to have a game that's 100% sexfights like fusega was (http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8451257/ for reference) and being all modular and mod friendly.

I did. Twice. Neither time worked out too well in the end. I've started two more since, but once I get the basic mechanics in place and actually have to start writing stuff things tend to fall a bit flat. It's a shame, really, as I think the concepts of all four were pretty nice. I'm just not much of a writer...

The first one was Sex Wrestling League, based on the eponymous stories by TConcord18. It did not go very far, but it does allow for a great deal of customization. You can change various descriptions, attack results and stats without touching any code. The Content Creator also lets you build a player, and you can also make custom events and multi-stage attacks, though neither of the latter two works terribly well. I've put it up here if you want a look. Just keep in mind I haven't touched the code in two years and cannot vouch for its condition.

My second project was Nessun Dorma, in which you play a prince trying not to beg a succubus princess to steal your soul while surrounded by her lackeys. It's harder than it sounds. I particularly liked the fact that opponents can gang up on you here. It may need revisiting...

The first non-released project was one where the player was an impoverished minor noble who, desperate to get revenge, dabbles in black magic. He wants to summon a succubus to take down his enemies, but fucks up and causes her to lose almost all her power in the process. (Yes, I did recycle that idea for the Drain Challenge.) The game would have the player train the succubus and himself to beat ever more powerful opponents, while making sure the succubus didn't kill him instead. I don't really remember why I stopped working on this. Probably writing.

The latest unfinished one was a game where the player (F), who works as the sole employee in a remote inn run by her father (or uncle), gets transformed by an incubus into a succubus. It was intended to be something of a lifesim, where the player would have to manage the inn while either building up her power or keeping well hidden. Should the player be able to resist her urges, she could become something of a benevolent succubus, using her power to heal others. If not, then she would get a clandestine visit from specialized anti-succubus fighters. I got pretty far with the general framework of this one, but again, writing.

Oh, I just remembered I also tried a revival of SWL for a short while with semi-realtime combat. Didn't work out well.

All in all, Night Games already has tons of content and it's already great, so I can just tack on stuff when I feel like it. That works pretty well for me.

ScarredEyes

Oct 13, 2015
Ooh, new things to check out...

I've got to say though, for both the original and the mod, this game is the only thing that keeps me coming back to this site daily - to see if there's anything new.

if you need any help writing, you might PM me - I guarantee absolutely nothing, being the lazy bum I am, and I've never wrote sex scenes before. but I look forward to the envisioned endgame - it's definitely what the game needs. That, and decisions that really create a unique playthrough each time, since the lack thereof is stopping any build up of affection to other characters other than, "I like what she seems to be like".

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
Okay. I made a character.  This is Summer the size witch. Just throw her in your included.JSON and she works.

I'm going to post this before I get embarrassed by having spent two weeks writing smut for the first time ever

View attachment summer.json

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Okay. I made a character.  This is Summer the size witch. Just throw her in your included.JSON and she works.

I'm going to post this before I get embarrassed by having spent two weeks writing smut for the first time ever

View attachment 4758

Does that mean that she tries to shrink the PC, or that she's into the PC having really big endowments?

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015

View attachment 4758

She kinda seems to have 9 victory scenes and no defeat or draw scenes. That is an impressive number of scenes though.

Vanity

Sep 14, 2015
The first one was Sex Wrestling League, based on the eponymous stories by TConcord18. It did not go very far, but it does allow for a great deal of customization.

Oh i remember this one i sooo wished you would have kept working on it...looked so promising >.<

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
She kinda seems to have 9 victory scenes and no defeat or draw scenes. That is an impressive number of scenes though.

Yeah, I had a hard time making player victory or draws coherent in the writing considering the difference in sizes at play so I just kind of handwaved them a little.  If I get the itch for a different character soon I know a few things I would have done differently.  I should have put a more player victory scenes in, but I got lazy and was running out of imagination. Between that and explaining the set-up for the character's gimmick and the using the gimmick adding an extra lump of text every time there's a scene, I still feel like the player victory scene was the best I wrote for this character, and it was also the last one I wrote.

I may revisit updating her in the future and I may write another character in the future (Schoolteacher--type disciplinarian? We're at a college after all), but for now I'm going to get together a zipfile of resources that others can use in their own projects.

Bronzechair

Aug 30, 2015
@generalr

I only had a short while to play tonight, but I definitely liked what I saw of Summer. You and I seem to have pretty similar tastes, and the variety of quotes and scenes for everything was interesting. I wholly approve!

@anyone and everyone that likes debugging

Found a crash when checking competitor info, log below. There was also a second one that said only: "Exception while removing reference." in the log, and it pops up when trying to watch porn during the day. No idea how long that one's been there.

http://pastebin.com/hd0HNAcs

Spawniz

Aug 30, 2015
[
    "samantha.json",
    "summer.json",
    "rosea.json"
]

Not able to load summer for some reason, is there a certain requirement to recruit her besides being lvl10?

My included.json file is setup like this

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
[
    "samantha.json",
    "summer.json",
    "rosea.json"
]

Not able to load summer for some reason, is there a certain requirement to recruit her besides being lvl10?

My included.json file is setup like this

You can check the nightgames_log.txt and scroll to the last load-up to get an idea of what's going wrong, but I'd think that should work.

Spawniz

Aug 30, 2015
Failed to load NPC summer.json
java.io.IOException: Badly formatted JSON character: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean

Seems that's the error i'm getting, not quite sure what it means though.

View attachment nightgames_log.txt

generalr

Aug 14, 2016
Failed to load NPC summer.json
java.io.IOException: Badly formatted JSON character: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Boolean

Seems that's the error i'm getting, not quite sure what it means though.

View attachment 4768

Okay, next check that your version is similar - I was running Nightgamesmod_2_1_0_2.  My included looks like this:

[
"samantha.json",
"rosea.json",
"summer.json"
]

So as long as the version is similar, you have a copy of summer.json in your character folder, and you copy and paste with unformatted text into your included.json, I can't think of any reason it's not working. I am a shit coder, so that's way beyond my expertise.

Now, I did use wordpad to write the majority of this, but I never changed file types and it's literally a heavily edited copy of rosea.json. So if you want, you can open up the file yourself and play with the innards to see if something got fuckered in the download.

EDIT: And you can also try updating Java? idk, bruh