Is it just me, or is the second Whisper fight bordering on unfair?

CboyC95

Jul 14, 2021
This is during the final part of Gweyr's questline in the underground cavern. When I made to the stairs, I'm confronted by Whisper again. And as soon as the fight starts, he's using attacks that instantly does huge damage, and was able to wipe out most of my party. And I'm playing this on the easiest difficulty, by the way.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
He's a boss, he hits hard and sometimes the RNG decides that today is a good day for you to die. He's actually not that difficult to knock over once you figure out how to tell which target is the real Whisper and what he's especially weak against. So long as you don't get completely fucked over by RNG shenanigans you can take him down quickly, and if the worst happens you just retry.

Other things to bear in mind: If your Champ is getting ganged up on and you're not the party tank, you should probably take a look at your party composition and/or how you're managing Threat. If you're losing other party members and they're not the tank, same thing. If you're the tank and you're getting one-shotted (and you aren't the victim of RNG sodomy) you might want to check your equipment setup or stat balance and see if there's something missing.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Other things to bear in mind: If your Champ is getting ganged up on and you're not the party tank, you should probably take a look at your party composition and/or how you're managing Threat. If you're losing other party members and they're not the tank, same thing. If you're the tank and you're getting one-shotted (and you aren't the victim of RNG sodomy) you might want to check your equipment setup or stat balance and see if there's something missing.

1) Either the AI of most enemies treats the Threat system as more of a suggestion, or the changing colors of the orb don't represent the Threat distribution very accurately, but you can't use it as a surefire predictor of not getting hit, which means that you can't do any risky plays.

2) The tanks, both yours and the enemy, don't start the combat with high threat and so your squishy characters can get deleted before the tank(s) get a turn,

This last part is something I'd like to see changed, though I realise that it is unlikely.

Last edited:

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
2) The tanks, both yours and the enemy, don't start the combat with high threat and so your squishy characters can get deleted before the tank(s) get a turn,
There's also probably the issue with speed.
Granted Tanks are not known for being fast, but it affects the initiative, which affects who gets to hit "first" (aka before someone else). If the enemy who is strong gets dibs on that and you're not the armored tanky type you're pretty much screwed.

SmithEK

Apr 20, 2021
Use story mode, it's actually the easiest one. I use this setting as I'm not interested in losing fights and either having to restart the game again or get raped by a bunch of freaks. Story mode literally you won't lose to anyone.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
You'll also notice, when you hit the real Whisper, he folds faster than someone who gets a 2 of Diamonds and a 7 of Spades in Texas Hold 'em.
I've never heard of a more "what" way of describing someone who crumbles under so easily ever.
How did you even come up with that? Did you take it from somewhere?

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I've never heard of a more "what" way of describing someone who crumbles under so easily ever.
How did you even come up with that? Did you take it from somewhere?
Seven Deuce offsuit is considered one of the worst starting hands in Texas Holdem. As in its so bad, if you got those cards, you should immediately fold.

• You can't make a straight, there's too much of a gap between the two cards.
  • You can't make a flush, they're offsuit.
  • You can't even go for the high card as approximately half the deck will have a higher value than 7 (8, 9, 10, J, Q, K, A times 4, 28 cards in a deck of 52)
  • You might be able to make a two pair or maybe even a full house, but the odd of getting a full house are fairly low and even then, most people would have folded by then. As for two pair, well, thats still beaten by three of a kind.

Point is, Whisper is trying to bluff you. But if you break through the bluff, he drops fairly quickly.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
Seven Deuce offsuit is considered one of the worst starting hands in Texas Holdem. As in its so bad, if you got those cards, you should immediately fold.

• You can't make a straight, there's too much of a gap between the two cards.
  • You can't make a flush, they're offsuit.
  • You can't even go for the high card as approximately half the deck will have a higher value than 7 (8, 9, 10, J, Q, K, A times 4, 28 cards in a deck of 52)
  • You might be able to make a two pair or maybe even a full house, but the odd of getting a full house are fairly low and even then, most people would have folded by then. As for two pair, well, thats still beaten by three of a kind.

Point is, Whisper is trying to bluff you. But if you break through the bluff, he drops fairly quickly.
Very rarely the RNG works in favor of the player. I used an Arc Cannon that somehow critted on the correct Whisper and nuked him. I had already managed to tenderize him a bit before that though.

CboyC95

Jul 14, 2021
Use story mode, it's actually the easiest one. I use this setting as I'm not interested in losing fights and either having to restart the game again or get raped by a bunch of freaks. Story mode literally you won't lose to anyone.
What difficulty did you think I was using? He's still a pain in the ass.

Kingu2

May 20, 2020
equip the senninbari if you have it or have a kaelirra tear in your inventory, this will prevent an OHKO. use either resolve attacks on the real whisper with your entire party or try to one shot him with a high accuracy attack, shadow strike, shell cracker, and dastardly trick all have accuracy modifier's so you have a good chance to crit and one shot him, provided your accuracy isn't terrible.

Orphanus

Nov 18, 2020
Theres a difference between easy mode and story mode. Tbh I don't know how you're losing, story mode is literally near impossible to lose on.

True, to the point where it can actually become surprisingly tedious to loose fights on purpose for certain scenes that can't be accessed by simply surrendering.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Theres a difference between easy mode and story mode. Tbh I don't know how you're losing, story mode is literally near impossible to lose on.
I've lost on story mode before actually, on the very first Whisper fight on my first go. Granted, I didn't expect his attacks to be like... that.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Rematching Whisper and running that dungeon, what, at least nine times to guarantee you get all of it assuming you pick the silent Berry as your second companion?

Reactions: Shrike675

Shrike675

Apr 8, 2021
Yeah, and at least 3 runs were before I noticed berry had no dialogue. Good times. I kinda do and don't want our last two companions to have text for that dungeon. Do cause I'm a sucker for flavor text, don't cause...well ya know.

mikethor007

Jun 26, 2021
Yeah, and at least 3 runs were before I noticed berry had no dialogue. Good times. I kinda do and don't want our last two companions to have text for that dungeon. Do cause I'm a sucker for flavor text, don't cause...well ya know.
On one hand I'd imagine that one of them would have plenty of insecurities that could be exploited by the Lureling. On the other hand, the phoenix harpy would just flip the bird at the mental manipulation. She's really old, what sort of chink in her mental armor could perhaps be exploited? Perhaps dying in front of someone that instead of reviving her would toss or bury her remains somewhere in a way that she'll never revive...

Sorry for the off topic.

Mark Lackey

May 7, 2021
Little late but I just had a complaint that rng seems to never be in my favor. I always get silenced and disarmed the first or second round and then can do literally nothing as they crit through my team. I've done this fight probably 2 dozen times now and that happens every single time

Last edited:

Prent

Aug 8, 2021
Little late but I just had a complaint that rng seems to never be in my favor. I always get silenced and disarmed the first or second round and then can do literally nothing as they crit through my team. I've done this fight probably 2 dozen times now and that happens every single time
Try using Tease attacks. Whisper is weak to them and they are not disabled by silence or disarm.

Reactions: Burnerbro