Favorite Visual Novels?

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
So basically, what were your favorite VN's you've played (I mean, FenGames are closely related to them so why not)?

Mine consists of both Clannad and Katawa Shoujo. Both are because of story and character development.

Monster Girl Quest for it's surprisingly good story too (and H-Scenes).

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyero

Sep 27, 2015
Well, AliceSoft has turned out some pretty decent eroges in my experience. Beat Blades Haruka and the Rance series, for example.

Just a bit of a kick in the head for me that there aren't more femdom-focused VNs out there. MGQ's alright, but the art's all over the place, and Dargoth/some other suitably heroic translator hasn't got around to translating the whole Violated Hero series yet (though the CGs in that series are consistently well-done). Not being able to read moon runes is a bitch.

>Liking Katawa Shoujo= Patrician Taste :D

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
Fate/ Stay Night and Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia are my favourites.

I like Monster Girl Quest, Bunny Black, Dues Ex Demonbane and Eiyuu - Senki a lot as well.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
From what I've seen of other people plaything them, I found them a little too on-rails for my liking. Though perhaps that is why it's called a "novel" and not a "game". Although, I did find Katawa Shoujo heart-warming at times. (Certainly alot more than the waifu-simulators you find everywhere on Steam)

I really should try MGQ...

Enigmatic D

Aug 27, 2015
I like Monster Girl Quest, Katawa Shoujo, Period.... Does Kamidori count as one? 

Eyero

Sep 27, 2015
I like Monster Girl Quest, Katawa Shoujo, Period.... Does Kamidori count as one? 

I'd say so. Got some good memories of that one- Alchemy Meister series, right?

Never played Fire Emblem in my life, but the gameplay seems to have struck the happy balance between having a lot to learn while not over-complicating the basics. Art's top-notch, too.

But yeah, if any of you guys are in the market for some good VNs, google the Visual Novel Database if you don't know about it already. Excellent site, and you can filter your search by content tags to find what you're into, and by products that have English/your native tongue's translation patches available.

Longbow

Feb 10, 2016
Let's see... Bible Black was my first visual novel, so I have fond memories of that one. Sei Shoujo really is quite a good storyteller, with a wonderful knack for building dread. Discipline is similarly good.

MGQ is a pretty good one, as well. Tons of CGs and a charming, unpretentious story. One of my favorite pieces of monster girl media. Definitely above MGE, in my opinion.

Sengoku Rance almost goes without saying. I've been meaning to play Kichikuou Rance, as well. Speaking of Alice Soft, Beat Blades Haruka isn't bad... but since the two most boring girls get the most scenes and most fleshed-out content, I can't say it's really one of my favorites. I didn't regret buying it, though.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
From what I've seen of other people plaything them, I found them a little too on-rails for my liking. Though perhaps that is why it's called a "novel" and not a "game". Although, I did find Katawa Shoujo heart-warming at times. (Certainly alot more than the waifu-simulators you find everywhere on Steam)

I really should try MGQ...

Katawa Shoujo was a pretty good game, especially on Hanako's route. 

MGQ is a game you go in expecting H-scenes (which you get), but end up coming out with a great story. Can't recommend it enough, even Fenoxo included it in his list of games similar to CoC so that says something.

Enigmatic D

Aug 27, 2015
Katawa Shoujo was a pretty good game, especially on Hanako's route. 

MGQ is a game you go in expecting H-scenes (which you get), but end up coming out with a great story. Can't recommend it enough, even Fenoxo included it in his list of games similar to CoC so that says something.

Doesn't MGQ have another game? Something like a paradox of some sort? I still need to play part 3 of MGQ...

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Doesn't MGQ have another game? Something like a paradox of some sort? I still need to play part 3 of MGQ...

Yeah, technically a sequel but it starts out at the beginning of MGQ. It follows a more RPG like style with a party system to boot. Plus, some new characters.

Also finish MGQ.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Fate/ Stay Night - I really need to go back and finish Sakura and Rin's Routes

Fate/ Hollow Ataraxia - been wanting to play this one, need to find a copy and play it.

Tsukihime - made by the creators that made the Fate Series, I started playing it but put it down, suppose I'll go pick it up at some point.

MGQ - yep good game. Need to finish up part three.

Demonbane - fuck yeah great game, need to do the other two girls. Beat the game with the main female protag.

Saya no Uta  - god damn this game makes me depressed but the story for it is pretty good.

I'll stop for now... I seriously need to go through my list instead of trying to remember them off the top of my head LOL

Zaku

Aug 28, 2015
Never played Fire Emblem in my life, but the gameplay seems to have struck the happy balance between having a lot to learn while not over-complicating the basics. Art's top-notch, too.

Serious question, does Fire Emblem court as a visual novel? I always thought it was just an RPG.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
I've heard good things about Yuritopia, it is apparently Quite Cute. It is also forty bucks, so.

The plot synopsis is that unfortunate straight girl who likes to cook suddenly gets suckered into playing cupid for a pair of ghosts who she can abruptly see to help them figure out how kissing girls and, more importantly, sexing girls works so they can get that out of the way and pass on. 

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
I've heard good things about Yuritopia, it is apparently Quite Cute. It is also forty bucks, so.

The plot synopsis is that unfortunate straight girl who likes to cook suddenly gets suckered into playing cupid for a pair of ghosts who she can abruptly see to help them figure out how kissing girls and, more importantly, sexing girls works so they can get that out of the way and pass on. 

Oh yeah, and it's like the first uncensored VN on steam, I completely forgot about it.

It's actually really good.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
That's actually kind of a misnomer. The lewd stuff is occasionally boobs and nothing more, which is actually well within Steam's usual guidelines. 

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
That's actually kind of a misnomer. The lewd stuff is occasionally boobs and nothing more, which is actually well within Steam's usual guidelines. 

I guess it's the first lewd VN with nudity included on Steam? There's stuff like the Sakura series but there's like no "nudity" nudity in it (I.E. nipples and stuff). 

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
It has sex scenes, but other media does too. It's a rather nebulous line.

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
It has sex scenes, but other media does too. It's a rather nebulous line.

I mean, if we're talking overall games on Steam then no, it's not the first. But if we're talking VN's then it's the first one on Steam to include actual sex scenes. I could possibly be wrong but that's what most sites were saying.

Mei97

Aug 28, 2015
Definetly Katawa shoujo (WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME RIN!?)

I wish there were more free yuri VN's

Nex

Aug 28, 2015
I guess it's the first lewd VN with nudity included on Steam? There's stuff like the Sakura series but there's like no "nudity" nudity in it (I.E. nipples and stuff). 

Wasn't there some fuss about the title,"Kindred Spirits on the Roof" making it on to Steam? I heard it would be the first VN where they wouldn't cut anything explicit out. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Corivas

Aug 29, 2015
Wasn't there some fuss about the title,"Kindred Spirits on the Roof" making it on to Steam? I heard it would be the first VN where they wouldn't cut anything explicit out. 

That's literally the exact game we were talking about. "Yuritopia" refers to the type of setting the game thrusts you into.

Nex

Aug 28, 2015
That's literally the exact game we were talking about. "Yuritopia" refers to the type of setting the game thrusts you into.

Welp, you didn't mention any title, so I didn't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Ah, I thought it was Yuritopia, my b.

As said, though, it was all within the guidelines.