Escape from paradise

dracomic

Aug 26, 2015
The small catfolk points towards the black clouds coming towards the ship "Do you see that?! It is no simple storm so buckle up and prepare for it!" With that the commotion dealt with for now Irvin went downstairs to grab some rope from his backpack so he could tie it in place.Returning back to the deck he helped the sailors to lift the sails so the storm wouldn't break it or the strong winds wouldn't make the ship turn and therefore sink.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
"Natural Scientist. I study trees and rocks, and rocks and trees, and water. I'm sometimes lucky enough to find old and deep places that most people never see. Caves and the like. I'm not one of the big names, but I like to think I have contributed at least my share to civilization's collective knowledge."

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
He watches the people scurry about, trying to prepare for the storm. Then, he laughs and turns back to face the storm, leaning on his bearded greataxe. He didn't seem to care much about his own safety, and was still standing right at the front of the ship .

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Rebecca turned to the other woman. "My stuff is already secured in the hold, anyway. As for this...," She held up her lute by the leather strap that hung from it's back, before looping it over her own.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
"That works I guess. My samples are sealed in a box as a matter of necessity, but now that there is nothing obvious that I can do to prepare, or help other people prepare, I find that I'm no longer able to distract myself from imminent peril. How are the two if you managing it?"

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"Honey, I learned, a long time ago, that the only thing dwelling on misfortune will get you is a headache. All you can do is take life as it comes," Rebecca replied.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
"I'm not typically one to just lie back and take it. I live by the seven P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Helplessness is a state of mind, not a state of the world. So, assuming that the worst happens, and we are dashed on the rocks of the most dangerous place imaginable, we need to not drown, so we need something that floats that we can cling to. Or better yet, something that can be strapped to us so that if we're knocked out, we float face up. So something that wraps around one's chest, and hooks under the arms. Any ideas?" Ciara brightens suddenly, "Oh hey, you distracted me from freaking out, thank you. I'm Ciara by the way," she extends her hand.

Last edited:

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
Apoc responds with another shrug. "I am certainly concerned for the safety of the ship, crew, and ourselves of course. But my knowledge on sailing is very limited, barely functional at best, and therefore there is not much I can do to help besides staying out of the way, and trusting the crew to know their trade. Besides, while I can fight a humanoid foe, a storm is well outside my current capabilities." Finishing with a slightly strained smile.
"But enough worrying, please, Ciara, tell us more about these Caliba rock samples, you mentioned they were disappointing, but if you kept any they must have had some applicable value to your research?" While he asks this he begins thinking on her idea of items for flotation, going through what he knows of standard ship stores. "And as we talk, I think I may have an idea for how we can best stay afloat, should the worst come to pass."

Last edited:

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"Rebecca. Pleasure's mine," she said, taking the smaller girl's hand. "And, sure, tell us about your rock collection. It might pass the time quicker."

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
"Oh!" Apoc blinks. "Again my manners fail. I really am terrible at this social thing. Pleasure to meet you both. My name is Apoc, Ciara. And I suppose it doesn't hurt to introduce myself again to you, Rebecca." Nodding to each of them.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
"Apoc, Rebbecca, good to meet you. So rocks. As you may know, things fall down. It's not yet clear exactly why that is, but we'll take that as a given. Water flows, and wears things away. Plants grow and expand existing crevices, die and create dirt. Tall things become short things over time, and by studying erosion, we can calculate how long it might take for something like, say a mountain, to be worn down to nothing. If you go somewhere with interesting topology, you can see the detritus that rivers move on a constant basis at the deltas where they drain into lakes or the ocean."

"But all of that just says that things tend towards smoothness, towards entropy. We don't really know where or why our planet should have the shape that it does. Things tend to fall. How does something as massive as a mountain grow? Volcanoes give us a hint. But those kinds of mountains look very different from say, a mountain chain, and they tend to be made out of a different kind of rock. We also know that islands are basically just underwater mountains. This means that one can learn a lot about erosion of mountain peaks without actually having to climb a mountain by going island hopping. Caliba is tepid, relatively flat, and has fairly slow moving rivers. It was my hope that this would let me examine the fall of a mountain at multiple stages all in one place. What actually happened is that I had to dig around in stinking marshes for almost no benefit, and find out that the bedrock is mostly volcanic, and thus not useful for my area of research."

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"You know, it's stories like this that make me glad I flunked out of school," said Rebecca, as Ciara finished on her anticlimactic note. "Sorry things didn't work out for you, but that seems to be the way of things on Caliba. Hell, I went to that soggy island hoping to find a prosperous seaside town to ply my trade in. Instead I found a rundown fishing village in a perpetual overcast state that no amount of good music, or shakes of the girls, could brighten." At the mention of girls, Rebecca gave her shoulders a quick shake, causing her four breasts to jiggle a bit, to punctuate her statement.

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
Apoc goes to respond to both Ciara's presentation, and Rebecca's response to it, but finds himself at a loss for words as Rebecca shakes her shoulders and....significant assets. "Um....I had something to say, and I can no longer remember what...." His semi glossed over eyes staring at the open diamond in her shirt for a moment, before blinking several times and sitting up with a slight jolt. "OH! Ciara, I meant to tell you, a gentleman recently published some of his preliminary findings and observations with regards to experiments as to why things fall down. He apparently has theorized that it is not just to the earth, that things seem to be attracted, but that there is attraction between all bodies" At mention of bodies he can't help but cast his eyes over both his conversational companions. Letting out a light cough and fidgeting with one of his gloves for a moment. "He has been working on a formula for calculating the force of attraction between two bodies, and has also been expanding on what he likes to call his 'Three Laws of Motion'. I can not recall his name at the moment, but you should certainly look into it if there are any good universities or libraries in Victoria.

[Newton published his full documentation on the theory of gravity and his three laws of motion near the end of the age of discovery, having theorized and released sub publications prior to the final releases of his journals and documents. So the time periods would be fairly close to what has been described of our world thus far. Also, a few other thinkers had been making similar observations, gradually working towards similar conclusions as Newton]

Last edited:

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Rebecca smiled to herself. She just couldn't help it. She loved the way men just tripped over their tongues when she brought her breasts to bare. And, this Apoc seemed more susceptible than most. The poor boy would probably loose it in his pants if she actually showed them to him. That gave her an idea, and a wicked grin spread across her lips. "Really? You seem to know a lot about the academic world-" As she spoke, Rebecca twirled her finger behind her back, calling up a little bit of magic. Suddenly, one of the two buttons holding the lower section of her shirt closed popped open; leaving only a single button straining to contain her lower bosom. "-Tell me more," she said, turning to face Apoc, and pretending not to notice the slipped button.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
Ciara crosses her arms over her chest as she watches Rebecca's display and carefully conceals her irritation from her face, "I'll certainly look into these laws of motion, and attraction of bodies when I have the time, but my own research is mostly about what builds things up when our planet should be tending towards a perfect globe." she carefully avoids eyeing Rebecca here, "The forces involved in lifting mountains are certainly beyond anything we can currently conceive."

Lanania

Oct 11, 2017
The ship swayed to the left quickly then swayed back to right even more brutally [Everyone makes an agility check 10+ or fall on the ground] As people fell on the ground torrential rain started. Water fell down the stairs on the first deck like a cascade.

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
At first confused by her apparent interest in the topic, despite her earlier statements, Apoc leans forward slightly just as one of the buttons on her shirt pops undone. Despite the eye widening implications and the distraction this poses, he still notices some form of magic was just activated nearby, though the specifics of what or where are beyond his grasp. This in no way prevents the blush from reaching his face, attempting to stay focused. Just as Ciara finishes speaking, and Apoc prepares to try and learn who was responsible for the magic sensed, contemplating using his own magic to find the answer, the boat rocks severely.

AG = (6+6)+3AG = 15

Managing to stay on the bench, Apoc shouts at the sudden change in the worlds orientation, and glances quickly at the water streaming down the steps and into the lower decks. "Well, ladies," Apoc exclaims "It would appear our conversation is going to be cut short. I am going to grab some cork sheet from the supplies downstairs, and strap it to myself and my equipment. You are both welcome to follow and do the same. Should any of us end up overboard, the cork will keep us afloat, awake or not. It may also be wise to help the crew power the bilge pump, we don't need anything besides our hand and feet for that."

[I have a roll bot set up here https://discord.gg/wseysCE
In the Roleplay channel. I will be doing all my roll checks there.]

Last edited:

dracomic

Aug 26, 2015
(2d6+6 = (6+2)+6 = 14) Irvan stand his ground despite the heavy swaying of the ship "Stand up Mam!" he grunts pulling on a rope and tieing it down "Someone warns those downstairs to grab a bucket and start pouring the water out!" He shouts trying to get some order in this escalating chaos.

Last edited:

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
[8+5=13]

His grip tightens like iron when the ship starts heaving, and he looks right up at the storm. "Hades watch over me." He whispers, before looking at the people behind him. "..... And may you have a good harvest tonight." He murmurs, his words lost in the storm as he turns back to face it.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
AG = (2+5)+4AG = 11

As the boat rocks Ciara barely keeps her feet, "Cork sounds like an excellent idea. I doubt that the captain will be happy that we've purloined his goods, but only if we survive." She follows behind Apoc happy to once again have a plan.

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
Apoc gets up from the bench. "Nonsense, most vessels specifically keep cork on board because of its flotation uses. A lot better than the treated animal skin bladders and lumps of wood that are the alternatives. And the sailors on board are no more willing to be at risk of drowning at sea should the ship have trouble than the rest of us, so they do not tolerate the inferior alternatives either. Besides, cork is far less expensive than those other options, so I know of no captain who has been able to make legitimate complaints on the cost. And on top of all that, I assume courtesy is that all crew and passengers can make use of the cork if need be, though if we do not help bail water that courtesy might be strained at best, regardless of our having payed for passage." Smirking lightly as he heads for the storage room one deck down.

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
Ciara feels a bit chagrined to have attempted to solve a problem that, in retrospect, should obviously have been already solved, and follows Apoc to the storage room.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
[1+2+5AG=8. Beautiful first roll.]

Rebecca rolled backwards off the bench she was on, landing on her ass with a thud. Reaching up, and refastening her shirt, she tried to stand up several times before making it to her feet. The two people she had been talking to were nowhere to be seen, and in the chaos she had little chance of finding them. Making her way to a corner of the room, she did her best to hunker down and ride things out.

Lanania

Oct 11, 2017
Another big wave came crashing on the ship, not big enough for people to fall but enough to let people that the storm was there and it won't be a fun time.
{Apoc and Ciara} There was a lot of marchandise and safety measure were to say the least lacking inside the ship {make an intellect check 12+ to find some safety equipment}
{Kriv} Some sailor rushed toward Kriv seeing if he was hurt and trying to help get back on his knee "Please go below the deck, we wouldn't you to get hurt or fall in the sea, it would be death sentence" The sailor said to him with a serious tone'
{Rebecca} There was some rope on a pulley in the corner of the room placed there to help move around heavy equipment and cannons she could probably hold it and would make her nearly unable to fall again.

Last edited:

Archangel99

Feb 13, 2016
"Oh I won't. But I'll pray for your soul." He says, grinning creepily as he pats the man on the shoulder, before heading below decks.

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
IN: [(3+6)+6IN] = 15

Knowing exactly where to go from his earlier exploration of the ship, Apoc heads directly for the storage room with the cork sheets and tie straps, quickly tying a good amount of the stuff to himself, and his pack, before prepping extra sets for others to use. Looking behind him he finds that while Ciara is still with him, Rebecca is nowhere to be found. "Where did Rebecca go!? Blast, fine, we can find her in a moment, here Ciara, put this on." Holding out a harness with several sheets and blocks of corkboard. "Once you get that on let's find Rebecca for hers, and then head to the bilge pump to help the crew. Feels like someone dropped a damn ocean on the ship."

[Here is what the ships of the era carried XD YAY HISTORY!]
cork 1.jpg
cork 2.jpg
cork 3.jpg

Last edited:

Paimon

Jan 28, 2018
Int = [(3+4)+5int] = 12 Int

"Right, thanks." Ciara starts strapping on the device, "Hand me a couple more in case I run into anyone else who needs one would you?"

dracomic

Aug 26, 2015
After tightening up the ropes Irvin help those that had fallen on the deck get up "Tie yourselves to the boat it is only going to get worse and for the love of god don't tie it around your neck or close to it "

ApocMora

Jul 25, 2016
Colorado
Apoc tosses her five of the harnesses from storage, and takes a matched number himself, pilled in his arms. "Hopefully the crew has some stashed in their living quarters too, I don't want to have to run back down here to grab more." Giving a much annoyed look at the puddles of water around the ship.