Corruption of Champions 5E: Lethice's Wrath OOC Thread

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Quick question to you guys:

How does everyone feel about the text-based battlemaps?

Yay? Nay? Too bloated with information?

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Sweet! I'm glad you guys like it so far.

Alright everyone, Colt's busy IRL so here's what I want to extend an option to everyone:

What do you all think of having Rosa enter the group as a tag-along NPC? If approved, she'll be treated as a level 1 Fighter to supplement the party, but the downside is that when handing out XP, she also gets a portion of it. At any time, the party would the right to ask her to leave and return to Gwen's household.

Chaotic, since Gwen is her Lady, you would be able to dictate what actions she takes in combat, but I RP the results (Within reason, of course. If you tell her to solo-charge a horde of demons, there might be some notable hesitation, haha!). You would also be able to delegate command of her to anyone else in the party.

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Here you go, Chaotic!

cLMsfuw.png

In the end I decided to keep things simple and not go full PC.

She'll start out with 8/12 HP due to being recently wounded.

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Sure she might be able to stave off a blow from a goblin or two, but she ain't no Darkscale. ;3

And to roll for attack: 1d20+ STR Mod (since you have a greataxe) + proficiency (2). If it ties with or succeeds Kraddus' AC, it's a hit!

For the sake of keeping things going, roll your damage dice as well (1d12+STR mod.) That way we'll know how much damage it's going for and I'll be able to summarize if it's a hit or miss in my posts. :)

Here's a new house rule I'm thinking of putting in: After your first successful hit on an enemy, their AC is revealed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archangel99

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Falling damage! Stylish! Me likey!~ Arch, here's my verdict on the rules below:

Alright, roll an attack roll for me with advantage. If the roll matches or succeeds the Executioner's AC of 13, then make a DC 13 Strength (Athletics) check to see how deep the greataxe burrows within the demon's skin.

Outcomes for the Athletics Check

Less than 13: Kriv's axe attack damages the executioner (damage roll as normal), but fails to wedge itself within the demon's rough hide. He continues plummeting towards the ground.

Matches or succeeds 13: The axe-head of Kriv's beastslayer wedges itself deep within the creature's flesh, and rivulets of warm, hot demon blood cakes the dragonborn's face as he comes to a grinding halt about half-way down the executioner's body about 5 feet from the ground. A simple wrenching of his axe is all he needs to drop down to the ground safely.

(The executioner also takes an extra 1d6 slashing damage + your damage roll)

If either of those rolls fail, I'm ruling that Kriv can make a Strength saving throw to latch onto the demon's belt with his free-hand.

Also, Chaotic, TAN, something I wanted to put out there:

I feel that during this combat, I didn't give Gwen and Eladra enough to do compared to, say, Kriv or Rona. What do you think?

If you agree, then I apologize if things felt a little dry on your ends. I'll try to do a better job of making sure both your characters have your time to shine in the future, too. Casters need some loving, too. :3

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Advantage is any special circumstance in D&D that allows you a second roll of a d20 and you use the higher value. Let's say my first d20 roll is a 9 and my second roll is a 17. With advantage, I get to take the 17 since that is the higher value.

There are explicit descriptions with abilities/spells that allow advantage, but for instances like these, advantage is also up to the GM's personal ruling. (In fact, while we're on this subject, Chaotic, I apologize. I was in error on not telling you you had advantage against that corpse you were attacking. They were prone.)

Let's take Kriv's "Rage" ability for instance:

While raging, you gain the following benefits if you aren’t wearing heavy armor:

• You have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws.
  • When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table.
  • You have resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
Rage gets you advantage on Strength checks and Saving throws. Thus you'd get to roll an extra d20 if you had to make an STR check or STR saving throw. But like Eladra and Gwen with their spell slots and Rona with her ki points, you have to make a judgment call on when's the best time to use it, since at level 1 you can only rage twice before a long rest is needed.

As a bonus action, you could rage right now as you're falling if you like, since that attack roll only took your regular action and not your bonus.

There's also "disadvantage" which is the opposite.

Disadvantage means that you have to roll d20 twice and take the lower value. As cruel as it sounds, if you were to roll a 20 then a 1, you have no choice but to take a 1.

So say a sorceress casts "Hold Person" on Kriv. If a horde of goblins go to attack him, they have advantage on attack rolls against him since he is restrained. On the flipside, Kriv can't move and he has disadvantage on attack rolls against them!

Chaotic Neutral Taco

Sep 21, 2018
Well I chose to run into the alley, and it doesn't matter either way really. As long as everyone gets their time to shine, I'll be more than happy.

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
Alright, everyone! I have an announcement to make!:

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LY3A607t8hY1saO9vW9

The player's guide has been updated with some information on all of the gods/goddesses present in this campaign on page 4 (even though she isn't listed, Mareth is also a goddess. This is just for the known gods of the world that you 5 come from -- not Mareth).

Secondly, there is also an addition in the "House Rules & Races" section on page 6 which is part of a proposal I want to make to you all:

In my opinion, I think we had something great going with the second battle in the town where everyone was taking their turns in whatever order they liked. And I think that's more conducive to PBP compared to the default 5E initiative system we were using in the first tavern battle.

That's why I want to ask everyone how they would feel about trying a system that minimizes wait time on making combat posts, but at the same time still keeps the bonus DEX gives to initiative rolls relevant. We would try it for one combat, then at the end I would like feedback from everyone on how they feel about it and if it's a house rule worth keeping or not.

Presenting Split-Side Initiative!

How split-side initiative works is this:

1.) Determine Surprise. The GM determines whether anyone involved in the combat encounter is surprised.

2.) Establish Positions. GM decides where all the characters and monsters are located. Given the adventurers’ Marching Order or their stated positions in the room or other location, the GM figures out where the adversaries are, how far away and in what direction.

3.) Players Roll vs Monster Initiative. GM declares monster initiative (one initiative is shared for a whole group of monsters) and players individually roll 1d20 + DEX modifier against it.

4.) Higher or Equal rolls go first. In any order. Players who roll higher or equal to the monster's initiative get to act first and are set into group 'A' they get to take their turns in whatever order they choose.

5.) The Monsters Strike Back. All monsters act.

6.) Group B Retaliates. In any order. All players who rolled lower than the initiative go next, taking their turns in whatever order they wish.

So say I declare 13 for a duo of imps. You all roll individually. Wan and Chaotic roll higher than the Imps while Arch and TAN roll lower (or vice versa).

The initative would look like:

Group A - Gwen-Dara, Rona

Monsters

Group B - Eladra, Kriv

And so it repeats in that order.

What does everyone think?

WannabeAdventurer

Sep 1, 2015
Hey everyone. Just a heads up I'll be out of town until Monday or Tuesday so won't be able to post in the IC Thread. Vale you're free to move on without me if you wish.

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Sorry for disappearing, internet’s been spotty. I’ll try to post today but it might be best to hand Eladra over to at least semi-gym control for now

Vale

Oct 27, 2018
The Land in the Middle
I'm not sure what's more impressive -- this person's art style, or the fact that they actually took the time to work out all these proportions and percentages.

But one thing's for certain.

@TheAnnoyingNoob Xali's going to need you more than ever if these two decide to get a room. (Though something tells me that Kriv has an exhibitionist streak stashed away somewhere~)

Reactions: Archangel99