CoC Mod Loader

Nyseron

Sep 28, 2016
I had this idea recently and I'm hoping I can turn this into a legit project.
There are a lot of mods but you can only pick one version to play like Revamp or Xanxia.
Well I was thinking about making a version of CoC that loads custom data from mod files, much like Bethesda games such as Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

I'm not very good a coding right now but I know I can learn easily, though I'll probably need help.
Of course this is presuming this is even a good idea to begin with.
Your thoughts?

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Won't work. CoC does not have "data" and "engine", it is a spaghetti of both.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
More of issue would be that bth mods got slight different things saved in save files so it may be a tricky to make such loader try read one mod file and try convert it witout messing up something into other mod format.

Nyseron

Sep 28, 2016
More of issue would be that bth mods got slight different things saved in save files so it may be a tricky to make such loader try read one mod file and try convert it witout messing up something into other mod format.
In Bethesda games it warns you that you're loading a save that has modded for mods you no longer have.
99% of the time the saves will load just fine. This tells me that the game can somehow fill in the gaps for deleted mods.
Let's say there's a mod that turns Goblins pink some reason. The Goblin portrait is replaced with a new one reflecting that change.
Now let's remove the pink mod. This means the current portrait is deleted and the game can tell it's missing so it fills in the gaps with default data.
If you have a modded item in your inventory then when the game doesn't recognize the item it just deletes it.

Stuff like that.

The reason I had this idea was due to the "Load from file" feature which lets CoC read data outside of .sol saves and can import data.
At worst we'd have to build CoC from the ground up as an .exe or something like that. In fact I could probably do so in Game Maker Studio if I had the time.
It'd be especially easy with the source code now available.

sjaybird

Nov 12, 2015
I think it could be a good idea but, perhaps instead of trying to make it so it will incorporate data from the different mods already made maybe you could make it as a method to more easily add extra code without having to recompile the entire swf file?

Last edited: