Charmer Build Help

Bleh223

Dec 9, 2022
Hey guys, I would like some help building a character with the Charmer class. However, I don't want to build it around teasing/lust attacks. The way I envision it is sort of like a Bard from DnD. I want to create a human support character and would love suggestions on: skills, gear, and companions. Thanks!

Sacremas

Jan 11, 2023
If you don't want to do teases, which is the main thing a Charmer focuses on (and can potentially use to deliver the highest damage nukes in the game) then it would be a pure support class instead, which I haven't really played but here's some basic-ass theories on it at least.

Your stats should be Willpower because that's what a Charmer's actual spells get mostly boosted by, then Presence which fuels some of them and will let you passively constantly buff your party members via Leadership, then probably Toughness to keep up your health. Your gear should be focused on boosting spellpower, leadership and survivability, so Mare's Ring, Everblossom Hood or Helm of Heroes, Guldring, that sort. Level 7 perk Expert Inspiration will boost items with effects like the Shield of Absorption and Cloak of the Deeps as well, so those make for great choices.

Charmer abilities useful for you would be the starting Bolstering Dance (which will keep a constant heal going on and just maintain the whole party, I don't recommend switching to any other at-will or stances ever tbh because this one is just too good post Resolve removal), Song of Storms and Resplendent Aria and their regular Ult Inspiration (you can pick up Revive as well, but mostly I find Inspiration more useful actually), pair that with Blessing and your loadout is done. Blinding Beauty, Dischord and starting War Song are all useful for offensive bard-like skills of your own while still avoiding the tease game. Cleansing Bell is a white mage spell you can learn from Sanders that is "the power of healing magic that uses sound" and so perfect for a Charmer add-on when your Bolstering won't be enough or you want to use another stance. Going Valkyrie is a nice choice as well and will have a few very useful powers for this build.

Bring Atugia, Arona or Azzyran to serve as your tank, and a high damage (Brint/Brienne, Ryn, Cait with Hexleathers, Arona with Spirit Totem) companion to actually kill stuff for you while jacked up with Song of Storms and Blessing.

Reactions: Bleh223

Aelana

Apr 16, 2020
Pick up a shield. It really does wonders for your survivability. Bolstering Dance is good if you need the extra health regen, but otherwise I'd suggest the other charmer stance which boosts attack power as well.

Personally I prefer agility over toughness. Agility also boosts your defense, but it also makes your character more likely to go first. As a buffer/disabler character, this power is often underestimated. You do not need toughness if your enemies are blinded before they can act.

Pick up the supportive white/black mage spells and experiment. I had some good success running Grease.

Reactions: Bleh223

Ker0k

Jan 14, 2019
Here is what I'd go with if I wanted to do a buffer charmer. (Bonus, you can have a cool harp for the RP aspect)
Stats
Presence, Willpower, Agility. More Presence will boost your Leadership score (passively buffing your allies and summons), Willpower will help making some of your powers stronger (affecting magic damages, healing and some buffs - just note that Song of Courage is based on Presence), Agility is there since you generaly want to be amongst the first to act (to throw your buffs around as soon as possible, nothing more anoying than having your whole party act before you can buff them) and it adds some boost to your defenses while allowing your offensive powers to hit their target (more important if you go with Aria and Dawnbreak, tho)
Arguably, you can trade Agility for something else if you pick other options instead of the two offensive powers bellow (like going for Group Heal and a Summon instead)
Powers
At-Will: Song of Courage (before lvl4, you can go with Bolstering Dance)
Recharge: Blessing (especially good when you get Expert Inspiration at lvl7) and Aria of the Waves (You'll want the Harp for the leadership bonus and the spell has a minor secondary effect affected by Expert Inspiration) or Group Heal.
Encounter: Dawnbreak (before getting it you could go with a Summon, that would be one more character benefiting from your high Leadership score and buffs).
Ultimate: Unbreakable (if you feel squishy or are often targeted. Bonus: it synergize well with Expert Inspiration) or Inspiration.
Gear
Anything that gives leadership, next to that Initiative is pretty nice, but also rare, Spell power is also important. Crown of Winter for Dawnbreak, Harp of the Waves for Aria of the Waves.
Companions
With the above build, I'd go with a weapon based DPS as a companion (to benefit from the weapon buffs from Dawnbreak), AoE powers like Cleave are also welcome. Brint/Brienne, Arona, Azyrran all have at least one set with Cleave, for instance. Etheryn can be a good second companion (buff to your initiative, weapon dps and a bit of healing in her Outrider set).