Build Suggestions?

Breadnought

Oct 13, 2024
Hi just wanted to see what people would suggest as a build I haven't played the game yet and wanted to get some advice before jumping in from what I've already read I'm interested in either a warrior or black mage but what would you suggest that I try and what else should I know when getting into the game.

Tiffye

Jul 17, 2023
I'm gonna be honest, and idk if others may disagree, but the build doesn't matter that much. I've done warrior, I've most recently been doing black mage, and both are good for being on the offensive. Both have moves that hit multiple targets as well as restore health, though that may take a while to get. I think black mage has more on the latter but there's at least one powerful one with warrior iirc. Maybe this is just because it's my most recent playthrough, but I'd say go with mage. Brint and Arona are good warrior companions to fill that niche, and you can always still do a single basic melee attack with whatever weapon you have equipped if you really need melee.

Isaac Sim

Jun 21, 2024
Hi just wanted to see what people would suggest as a build I haven't played the game yet and wanted to get some advice before jumping in from what I've already read I'm interested in either a warrior or black mage but what would you suggest that I try and what else should I know when getting into the game.
I can suggest you black knight build.

Go warrior. And at level up increase strength, cunning and willpower.

And get lightning spike early. And then use your other warrior abilities and supplementing them with black mage abilities.

Another build is white knight. Go warrior. Level up strength, toughness and willpower.

supplement your warrior abilities with white mage abilities. This build is stronger because you can have heal and survive even the most brutal encounters.

You can also do this build by going pure black or white mage.

Hey Breadnought. May your enemies fall swiftly to your irresistible glutency.​

Since this is your first playthrough of CoC2 and you're looking to make a warrior or black mage, I'm going to suggest you run a BM.

Why?

There are certain enemies which resist or are completely immune to physical (penetrating/crushing) dmg.​

Ghosts, golems, and elementals come to mind. (Some of them are also immune to lust dmg as well)

Yes there are workarounds:
  • use weapons that deal innate elemental magic
  • the Charmer power (1)Song of Storms can buff a party member with bonus storm dmg
  • make a spellblade character that deals both magic/phy dmg

But let's keep things simple for your first playthrough.

Some info about stats...​

Level up Willpower/Cunning/Presence like the game recommends for a black mage

That leaves one problem though.

Your accuracy is going to be dogshit, and accuracy comes from Agility (normally a Warrior/Thief/Charmer stat).

note accuracy and crit affect both weapon attacks and spells
and missing enemies with your spells is <adopts valley-girl accent><pops bubblegum> "Like totally lame!"

To compensate, prioritize weapons that have the [Catalyst] tag and +accuracy

Get a [Wooden Rod] + [Mage wand] (Offhand) from Ivris in Hawkethorne when you start off.

Some good powers (aka skills)...​

(4)Charge Weapon (At-Will) (Stance) (WM)​

Stances automatically turn on when combat begins but there's a trick some people don't know about.
You can turn off a stance then turn it back on again to replicate the initial effect.

You can spam AoE Holy dmg (the best dmg type) with this power while your other spells are on cooldown.​

(1)Summon W(olf)Spirit (Encounter) (BM)​

Swings twice to deal low damage but applies bleed to the target. Bleed reduces healing received by 50%.
Super helpful against certain story bosses that have powerful healing abilities.
Also your Wolf Spirit is completely immune to physical dmg. Truly the bestest boi!

Learn from Vivianne whom you can encounter randomly in the Old Forest.
(Might have to meet her a 2nd time before she'll teach you spells. Later she can join your party)

Conclusion...​

Roll a Black Mage to start, get high accuracy caster weapons, summon a fluffy ghost wolf.

Now venture forth Breadnought, into the world of Savarra and leave all who encounter you in awe of your yeasty magnificence.​

Bonus tips

*Go to the game options and turn on [Manual] control of your followers
*Use the [Sense] command on every new enemy so you can see their weaknesses
*Make a party composed of a Tank/DPS/healer

Reactions: PalletTown