Black Garden [Fantasy Adult RPG]

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016
I have been playing quite a bit the game and I would like to ask for a bit of balance in:

-Jobs income (better price for minerals and ores, receiving 10 to 20 copper coins when doing jobs such as cleaning or cutting wood...)
-Increase chance of an adventurer appearing outside the village (basically almost guaranteed that an adventurer will appear in the forest)
-When capturing an adventurer, take away the same adventurer outside the pool after you gave him as a private slave (after you get them all it is just random)
-If you have a good relationship with the merchant, being able to tell her what types of items she should have the next day.
-A chance of good luck when opening chests, basically if it happens it will let you choose the item you want out of the chest pool.

Basically this is just to have a way to make money at the start even if it isn't a lot, on the part of adventurers it becomes quite annoying trying to unlock all skills, because it's a random chance that they appear and the character can be repeated before you get them all, so I just recommend being almost 100% and those that are as personal slaves to be taken outside the adventurers pool.

On another note it is a bother that merchant stuff depends on luck, so being able to recommend her what she has on the store the next day would be really good for the players. To end, sometimes you want an especific item over what a chest can give, so it wouldn't be bad to have a "critical luck" in which you can choose the item you want when it happens. It shouldn't be too big the chance for it to happen (even more it should be related to luck and perhaps a new thief skill called "thieves luck").

Overall what I would like to happen is that the grind is reduced quite a bit.

A few additions I recommend:

-If you talk with a goblin that she has a chance to start flirting with you.
-At night the settlement becoming more "dangerous" in the sense of frustrated goblins. They will appear until the settlement has enough sex slaves in the brothel (I was thinking about 5 sex slaves before they stop appearing).
-If you have a good reputation among goblins that you can get presents in your house (even more, some joke ones such as goblin panties).

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
-Jobs income (better price for minerals and ores, receiving 10 to 20 copper coins when doing jobs such as cleaning or cutting wood...)

I'll consider adding a little bit of coin payment for the chores! But Ore prices are unlikely to change as a change in them will drag the price of ALL materials made from them significantly up as well.

Increase chance of an adventurer appearing outside the village (basically almost guaranteed that an adventurer will appear in the forest)

I will have them spawn on more maps. I don't want them to have a permanent presence on maps as the area is considered to be the outskirts of the demon realm and humans don't venture there as it is very risky. Though maps closer to the human border will have a higher spawn chance.

When capturing an adventurer, take away the same adventurer outside the pool after you gave him as a private slave (after you get them all it is just random)

This will be very tedious to implement with my current script knowledge, and not very "realistic" though I do see the logical reasoning of why people would want this. I'll think about some ways to add specific NPCs, but it is unlikely to be something that is done soon though.

If you have a good relationship with the merchant, being able to tell her what types of items she should have the next day.

Game play wise it wont make much sense as she sells whatever they looted that day, rather than her having influence on the stock herself. I do like the idea of influencing stocks with relationships though. I will try to use something like this for future merchants.

A chance of good luck when opening chests, basically if it happens it will let you choose the item you want out of the chest pool.

This may work for some future chest loot tables, it wouldn't work for the current one as there are WAAAY too many things in the loot table and creating a way to browse through them through selection is something I have no idea how to do without it looking extremely clunky. Especially considering I update them with new stuff from time to time. So this probably wont happen with current chests but may be a thing in the future chest varieties.

Basically this is just to have a way to make money at the start even if it isn't a lot, on the part of adventurers it becomes quite annoying trying to unlock all skills, because it's a random chance that they appear and the character can be repeated before you get them all, so I just recommend being almost 100% and those that are as personal slaves to be taken outside the adventurers pool.

There is an NPC in the Brothel on the second floor that sells those skill manuals on Saturdays, she has better prices than the NPCs as she does not require you to have any EXP to learn them. So you don't need the travelers at all for getting skills.

On another note it is a bother that merchant stuff depends on luck, so being able to recommend her what she has on the store the next day would be really good for the players.

I understand this, but I was planning to have shops that have "specific" stock scattered all over the place, like the Smith for example. So the player would need to do some traveling to buy specific things, or rely on "luck" to get the thing they want in close proximity stores through RNG. The system is kind of annoying now mostly because there are no other stores yet, but it will slowly get ironed out.

To end, sometimes you want an especific item over what a chest can give, so it wouldn't be bad to have a "critical luck" in which you can choose the item you want when it happens. It shouldn't be too big the chance for it to happen (even more it should be related to luck and perhaps a new thief skill called "thieves luck").

Most (if not all) of the items in the chests can be gotten in more guaranteed manner, though the main reason why I can't really do this is because of hard it would be to implement with my current knowledge.

Overall what I would like to happen is that the grind is reduced quite a bit.

Well, this will hopefully happen naturally with the expansion of game areas and fleshing out of some of the systems.

If you talk with a goblin that she has a chance to start flirting with you.

They kind of already do when you flirt with them... or do you mean from just a normal "Talk" option?

-At night the settlement becoming more "dangerous" in the sense of frustrated goblins. They will appear until the settlement has enough sex slaves in the brothel (I was thinking about 5 sex slaves before they stop appearing).

I have mixed feelings about this. In general I like the idea, but I feel like a lot of people wont, I mean there were already requests to put an NPC that sells skill books just so some people can monopolize the whole village to themselves and avoid bringing any slaves in. I would imagine that those people wont be happy to have the village at a constant threat level. I think what I might do is use this approach in the Orc village in the future and leave the Goblin village the way it is to give some sort of "breathing room" from threats at least at the start of the game.

If you have a good reputation among goblins that you can get presents in your house (even more, some joke ones such as goblin panties).

Currently there is a "mini" version of this implemented where interacting with kids can give you some small items, or Saffron when married might give you a recipe if you have a Cooking skill. Though I would be open to more such gift ideas from the villagers in general, I'm just not too sure on how to "deliver" such gifts to the player as there is no actual "mail box" in the house. I'll think of some way to do this though, it's not super high priority right now but it is on the "to do" list!

Brice

Aug 21, 2019
On the idea of future villages, maybe there could be an option at the start of the game to be sent to one of those villages instead of the Goblin village, with a short description of said village and the expected difficulty of that area as well as the resource's found there, as a way to let people give themselves a greater level of challenge early on.

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016
I understand, personally in my opinnion those that want to monopolize the village should be ready to deal with many frustrated goblins, mainly because anyone can imagine that happening, (sex addicts + no males is a dangerous combination)

About the flirting I meant that when you talk with a goblin, she may try to seduce you, overall it may feel a bit redundant, but my point in those recomendations was to show the goblins as more sexually agressive and frustrated. Kind of wanted them to be more goblin like.

About gifts I was thinking that for example after you go to sleep you may find a gift in front of your door, if its more personal perhaps they can throw it at the window.

And if you wanted an interesting event for home, after you add the wardrobe to your house, a perverted goblin may start stealing your underwear or even masturbate in your house, basically you would have to capture the goblin and choose what you do with her.

But well, overall I just give recommendations that I think would make the experience in the village as more unique.

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
On the idea of future villages, maybe there could be an option at the start of the game to be sent to one of those villages instead of the Goblin village, with a short description of said village and the expected difficulty of that area as well as the resource's found there, as a way to let people give themselves a greater level of challenge early on.

This idea has crossed my mind before, but I am not sure how viable it will be in the end, but I'll see how it goes. it will mostly depend on how the progression for the main quest line works in the end.

I understand, personally in my opinnion those that want to monopolize the village should be ready to deal with many frustrated goblins, mainly because anyone can imagine that happening, (sex addicts + no males is a dangerous combination)

About the flirting I meant that when you talk with a goblin, she may try to seduce you, overall it may feel a bit redundant, but my point in those recomendations was to show the goblins as more sexually agressive and frustrated. Kind of wanted them to be more goblin like.

Well they sort of were planned like that but I wanted the player to have at least some safety at first... in retrospect I should have probably made the player start in the Elf village though! In general I want to move away from Goblin content for a while and introduce other species. I'll come back to revisit them eventually to improve on some features and might rework how their village works in general to allow for more aggressive behaviour.

About gifts I was thinking that for example after you go to sleep you may find a gift in front of your door, if its more personal perhaps they can throw it at the window.

It could actually work when tied with the sleep system, that is a good idea!

And if you wanted an interesting event for home, after you add the wardrobe to your house, a perverted goblin may start stealing your underwear or even masturbate in your house, basically you would have to capture the goblin and choose what you do with her.

I like this idea quite bit, so I'll keep it mind! Maybe have the player do a Perception check and if they fail to notice her hiding in the wardrobe, she could jump them in bed when they go to sleep!

Proto042

Aug 19, 2019
While I don't think it's a terrible idea the problem arises from the fact that the goblin village is the starter area and therefore the player might not be equipped or able to deal with this. To this point a starter character might not have any of the necessary skills to collect a sex slave or might have bad luck and not get any adventurer spawns. A player should not be punished for choices they are forced to make without a proper warning.

On the other side of this if a player has enough sex during the day would this alleviate this? How much would be necessary? Would having enough children in the village make this less of an issue (Saffron has a comment about how the breeders are happy with how many children are around)?

Also, you have to consider that this is the situation they are used to as the last man they had ran off with the farmer. Which implies they don't normally see a lot of men and they generally have enough self control to not jump any random person they see to have sex.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Flavor wise for the goblins, you could do something like have them be mostly exhausted from all the mining that they don't have the energy to try and force the PC to bang. Plus they're also relying on him to do household chores, after all. Do they really want to chase off one of the few people doing their laundry, chopping wood, and cooking meals? Of course, if the player's reputation drops too much then they're going to care less and less about that and be more likely to force themselves on him. Things might also go poorly for the PC if they help the goblins have lots of babies, therefore making it easier for them to fulfill the iron quotas and other jobs around the village, but not capture lots of men to serve as sex slaves to counter balance their increasing need for sex and lowered frantic desperation.

If it's clear that you should only let your reputation drop or cause a population explosion without getting sex slaves if you want to be abused, then that's a clear telegraphed choice to the player. Just put in a minor rep decay over time while the player is living in the village that can be easily countered by doing some chores, making friends with the goblins, and/or working in the brothel and it should be fine.

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016
Well they sort of were planned like that but I wanted the player to have at least some safety at first... in retrospect I should have probably made the player start in the Elf village though! In general I want to move away from Goblin content for a while and introduce other species. I'll come back to revisit them eventually to improve on some features and might rework how their village works in general to allow for more aggressive behaviour.

Elves are indeed a perfect starting zone, usually they are arrogant prudes but after you earn their affection they change quite a lot, would the perfect word be "devoted"?, an elf can be as lustful as a goblin, but at first they are too proud or arrogant to actually have sex with just anyone.

While I don't think it's a terrible idea the problem arises from the fact that the goblin village is the starter area and therefore the player might not be equipped or able to deal with this. To this point a starter character might not have any of the necessary skills to collect a sex slave or might have bad luck and not get any adventurer spawns. A player should not be punished for choices they are forced to make without a proper warning.

On the other side of this if a player has enough sex during the day would this alleviate this? How much would be necessary? Would having enough children in the village make this less of an issue (Saffron has a comment about how the breeders are happy with how many children are around)?

Also, you have to consider that this is the situation they are used to as the last man they had ran off with the farmer. Which implies they don't normally see a lot of men and they generally have enough self control to not jump any random person they see to have sex.

Overall the only problem is that it's the starting area hahaha, I can understand it. That's why what I thought was a light version, like at night having to evade the extremely frustrated goblins and the drunk ones. If they touch you then you fight, lose and be raped.

The idea was that if for example you have a good stealth level you would have it easier to evade them and even if they notice you, they don't run like werewolves, but rather go towards you at a normal speed.

I kind of thought of this for flavor rather than difficulty. Even more this happening only during certain hours, for example from 01:00 to 05:00 of the morning, basically really late into the night.

If it wasn't the starting zone then things could be much harder, and well I don't truly believe that they have a lot of self control, rather I kind of wonder if it was precisely this reason why the farmer left with the man.

And no, it isn't a punishment but a circunstance that people have, the only difference would be that some people wouldn't have a problem solving it by giving slaves while others want to just ignore the problem.

Haha, but well it's just that overall, perhaps at some point the creator may modify things a bit so you first go to the elf village or another place before you have to visit the goblins.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Oh, I will add that dodging enemies on the world map wouldn't be a good idea due to the way the art is presented. You can't see enemies behind trees or buildings, and those make up a significant part of the navigatable space on the map. The presentation is very good as a result, but gameplay aspects are hampered by it. It's similar to the problem of having area zone names take up the full screen every time you enter an area, even if it's the dozenth time and you're just trying to get on with something else.

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016
Oh, I will add that dodging enemies on the world map wouldn't be a good idea due to the way the art is presented. You can't see enemies behind trees or buildings, and those make up a significant part of the navigatable space on the map. The presentation is very good as a result, but gameplay aspects are hampered by it. It's similar to the problem of having area zone names take up the full screen every time you enter an area, even if it's the dozenth time and you're just trying to get on with something else.

Hmmm that's true, perhaps if those type of events get added should activate after the character enters the village as "random events".

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019

I think in general it would be hard to keep track off without slaves, after all, the player might be gone from the village for days if not weeks when other villages get implemented.

Flavor wise for the goblins, you could do something like have them be mostly exhausted from all the mining that they don't have the energy to try and force the PC to bang.

This was one of the reasons, the other being that you are technically "on their side", so while they would have no problems jumping just any other male around, the fact that you are supposed to be helping them probably is an incentive for them not to annoy you too much and force you to move out in the process.

Overall the only problem is that it's the starting area hahaha, I can understand it. That's why what I thought was a light version, like at night having to evade the extremely frustrated goblins and the drunk ones. If they touch you then you fight, lose and be raped.

The idea was that if for example you have a good stealth level you would have it easier to evade them and even if they notice you, they don't run like werewolves, but rather go towards you at a normal speed.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to evade anything in that village as the movement area is actually quite small even against an enemy that has a low movement speed.

I kind of thought of this for flavor rather than difficulty. Even more this happening only during certain hours, for example from 01:00 to 05:00 of the morning, basically really late into the night.

What I might do, is have a specific day or days when this can happen. So maybe like a weekend when they are partying too hard and get a bit too drunk. That way it will be easier to predict so it wont be as difficult for an event in the first town. That said, in general, the expansion to the Goblin village events will likely come after several more areas get added in, otherwise if I keep working only on the Goblins I might need to rename the game into "Goblin Breeding Simulator"!

It's similar to the problem of having area zone names take up the full screen every time you enter an area, even if it's the dozenth time and you're just trying to get on with something else.

Those can be turned OFF in the Extra Options item!

Hmmm that's true, perhaps if those type of events get added should activate after the character enters the village as "random events".

The village currently doesn't even have a loading splash screen so that's not even a problem for now! Plus they can be disabled in the extra options. The main reason they even exist in the first place is to mask the spawning of some events on the map when you enter it for the first time that day.

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
Forgive my double post, but I thought I should mention that the game has updated.

Version 0.1.3 is finally here for the general public! Significant changes include new Blue Slime enemies, with defeat sex scenes (3 variations depending on Slime experience level, all in the same position though). New plants to grow on your farm. A new outfit to gift to heroines and village NPCs. Ability to raise spiders on spider silk farms on your farm for Web production. Ability to brew three different drinks in kegs. Usable personal lighting items, Torches, Candles and Lanterns. And last but not least, a functioning Quest Journal which you can access from the menu to keep track of all jobs you were given! As always, consider keeping a backup of your Save Files as some bugs could be present.

A detailed change log for 0.1.3:
  • Decreased Cost of Glue and Varnish from the Goblin Merchant.
  • Increased price of fertiliser and removed it from the loot tables so people can sell it, since it is not fully implemented yet.
  • Digging up Secret Caverns now grants Reputation with Goblins.
  • Improved Quest reward for bringing Pickaxes to the Goblin Miner.
  • Slightly increased Reputation gain from Sticky Webs and Rat Catcher Quests.
  • Lowered Glue and varnish requirements when fixing the Bridge from 6 and 5 to 4 and 4 respectively.
  • Corrected a lighting bug that caused the environment to get dark upon exiting the mines sometimes.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented you from being listed as Saffron's last Sex partner after you agree to be the father of her first child.
  • Tools used as Weapons have all been standardised to have a -10% HIT chance.
  • Slashing and Piercing Damage has been combined into Laceration Damage.
  • Shields now deal Crushing Damage when used to make attacks (-50% damage to most targets).
  • Damage of "Cleave" Weapon Skill increased slightly.
  • Removed Critical Chance bonuses from Tools.
  • Re-balanced the Weapons in favour of granting more damage to the ones that are harder to craft.
  • Lowered the Evasion Rate of Hornets and Killer Hornets from 30% to 20%.
  • Garlic Plants have been implemented and can now be grown on your farm. Seeds are occasionally sold by the Goblin Merchant.
  • Lemon Shrubs have been implemented and can now be grown on your farm. Seeds rarely drop from harvesting wild Forest Plants.
  • Added Recipe for Chopping Table (Requires New Game to appear in the Recipe list).
  • Added Spider Silk Farms, craft-able with Construction (Requires New Game to appear in the Recipe list).
  • Spider Silk Farms require a Spider Egg, found as a Rare drop when removing Spider Webs in the Goblin Mines, must have Entomology specialisation for a chance at the drop.
  • Harvesting a Spider Silk Farm requires Lvl 1 Entomology and yields Spider Webs, Chitin and a small chance of a new Spider Egg.
  • Spider Silk Farms are place-able on your Farm where you usually grow your plants.
  • Fixed the lighting in the Demon Queen's Bedroom to correctly have dim lighting.
  • Added Blue Slime enemies, found during Rainy weather. They are relatively slow and easy to run away from. Blue Slimes are highly resistant to most forms of Magic aside from Ice Magic, but have very low Defense against most physical attacks. Losing to a Blue Slime gives one of 3 Sex Scenes and a chance that a piece of your equipped gear will get destroyed by getting dissolved.
  • Added a Rare drop to Slime encounters, "Slime Core" that lets you summon a slimy sidekick with combat Magic. Can also be rarely gifted by a Blue Slime MILF if she felt satisfied with feeding on you.
  • New sidekick / pet comes equipped with a unique Ring that you can choose to equip yourself with instead.
  • Added ability to [Gift] Fur Coats to Saffron and the other village NPCs. Fur Coats are Craft-able in Tailoring Lvl2, can be purchased from the traveling Merchant for a hefty sum of coin or found rarely in chests.
  • Grape prices increased by 150%.
  • Beer Price increased by 20%.
  • Brewing has been implemented and can be done using a Keg furniture item, place-able in your home, requires the Cooking Skill.
  • Fixed Copper Watch breaking time sometimes.
  • Implemented Torches, Candles and Lanterns.
  • Added Torches, Bottles and Corks to Goblin Smith's stock of items for sale.
  • Changed Recipes for Torch and Lantern (Requires New Game start to appear in the Recipe list).
  • Updated Loot tables with new items.
  • Fixed a bug with Trapped Chests not working as intended.
A detailed change log for 0.1.3a:
  • Removed Item spawn inside a dead tree near the lake, provided an Item "Debug Teleport" to teleport on top of the Item to collect it. You will become stuck in the process, so use the item again to teleport out. Those that don't have an item stuck there can sell the "Debug Teleport" to the merchant.
  • Level 5 Guile should now correctly award a Title and a stat boost.
  • Level 5 Crafting Skill should now correctly award a Title and stat boosts, the update awards these retroactively too. Make sure to Pick Up and reset any crafting furniture in your house to fix it. Just pick them up and place down again.
  • Furo now correctly mentions "Pickpocket" instead of "Guile" skill manual as the way to rob someone.
  • Traveler spawn rates increased by 5%.
  • Red Wine Keg has been fixed and will no longer lock down your game when placed down.
  • Mysticism has been removed as a skill from character creation as it is not fully implemented.
  • Added [Z} key as another means of Talking/Interacting (all previous controls function as well).
  • Added [X] and [Numpad0] as another way of activating Menu or Cancelling (all previous controls function as well).
  • Moved the spawn for the bottom most Wolf on the Road Map slightly higher up the road.
  • Removed all but one Blue Slime spawn on the Road Map. The last Slime on this map now spawns in the secret glade area.
  • Set Requirement to make Crafting Stations to Level 1 Construction (only available with a New Game start).
  • Beehives have been fixed and can only be harvested once per day and yield a maximum of 4 Honey each now.
  • "Escape" command has been adjusted, it should now be a bit easier to Escape enemies.
  • Lapis now mentions that you should pick up some Skills during character creation.
  • The incidence of Rain, Wind and Sun has been reduced slightly.
  • Max Wolf Reinforcement has been reduced to +1.
  • Tier 4 Patrons added to Credits.

Brice

Aug 21, 2019
First issue i notice, my Guile is now level 6, and i also have not been given the Guile title.

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
First issue i notice, my Guile is now level 6, and i also have not been given the Guile title.

Thanks for the heads up, it should be fixed now and I have re-uploaded the versions with the fix now.

On a side note, did you manage to pick up the item stuck inside the tree with the Debug Teleport I included? It should be in your inventory upon the game updating.

Last edited:

Brice

Aug 21, 2019
I did indeed, glad to have that fixed, btw what was up with that respawning Dildo chest that got removed, was that just a testing thing?

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
btw what was up with that respawning Dildo chest that got removed, was that just a testing thing?

Eh... it does sound like it was, but I don't recall. Where was it located exactly and did it give anything?

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
Where are the slimes spawning?

They only spawn during rain. One spawns on the Forest Road map in the secret glade, half way down the map and to the left through the trees. Three more spawn in Emerald Forest all over the place.

Kalek

Oct 4, 2019
I pretty like the game, for now. But, at some point, is little hard to progress. Someone have write any Wiki for that game ?

Need to know :
-Where is the tower ? In a thread, you say we can unlock some skill after done the quest in the tower.
-Any mini-map in the todo-list ?
-Will you work on H-animation / h-choice / different image, When the game will close to the end ?
-When we'll get new map unlocked ?
-Actually, in 0.1.3 version, can we really capture people ?
-Can we lvl up ?

Thanks you for your time !
Still a good rpg.

Last edited:

DawnCry

Sep 18, 2016

You can, go to the forest and the map just right to it and you may find travellers, some you have to fight them and others use different means like persuasion, intimidation... but well first buy a rope from the brothel.

-Can we lvl up ?

At the moment the creator said we can't level up, but in the future...

Reactions: Kalek

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
The Chest was in the forge area of the mines, and it gave Dildo's.

Yeah that was for testing... can't believe I forgot to remove it. In general I use Red Chests for testing, and I highly advise people from opening them and to report them asap! These chests usually do a lot more than what they announce in the text, they usually seriously mess with some Arrays and could actually ruin your save game if you save after opening them.

I pretty like the game, for now. But, at some point, is little hard to progress. Someone have write any Wiki for that game ?

This game is only 2 months old from initial release so no wiki or guides have been made yet. I was hoping the Quest Log would have made progress a bit easier.

-Where is the tower ? In a thread, you say we can unlock some skill after done the quest in the tower.

It is the tall building in the bottom right corner of the Goblin Village, there is an NPC on the second floor that offers a quest to collect 10 Honey in exchange for a Manual that teaches the Athletics Skill.

-Any mini-map in the todo-list ?

I'm not sure if one is even possible in this game engine, but I'll check if there are any relevant scripts.

-Will you work on H-animation / h-choice / different image, When the game will close to the end ?

H-animation on a CG level is unlikely, there are some Pixel graphic animations of Sex Scenes for the over-world Sprites. I am contemplating some Image variations for the Sex Scenes but I am not sure how many there will be in the end.

-When we'll get new map unlocked ?

The Patreon release will get it in a week or two hopefully, then ~2 weeks later it will become public. I have finished most of the actual map art and layering but I still want to add some interesting features to it which aren't found on the currently existing maps.

As DawnCry mentioned, yes you can, in fact you could ever since the very first release. You can only capture males to gift to the village though. I do plan to add the ability to get yourself some female adventurer slaves but no eta on that yet.

-Can we lvl up ?

The leveling system doesn't work in a conventional sense. You can increase your stats through maxing out Skills and boosting your Vitality and Will through buying upgrades in the Skill Manuals with EXP.

The actual "Rank" increasing is currently planned as a Quest completion feature, it will increase once certain main Quests are completed. At the moment 5 Ranks or "Promotions" in the demon army are planned but you cannot go above 1 for now.

Reactions: Kalek

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Learning the mining skill really shouldn't cost any craft exp. The skill itself has no inherent value, since you can't do anything with it until you get a specialization. All skills that do absolutely nothing with just the skill itself should be 'free' exp wise. Otherwise, what exactly have you learnt? This is quite frustrating if you didn't know ahead of time that you just spent half of the exp needed to get the skill you wanted and have to keep grinding out more.

In general it's really hard just to get started in this game unless you picked very specific skills. You need to grind craft exp to learn a better way to make money/exp, then grind money so you can afford a building bench, then grind out more craft exp so you can gather the materials, then grind the materials before you can finally make something to earn money. The process isn't fun, it's just time consuming. Do laundry, talk, and look for chests, rest and repeat.

Maybe there should at least be a few recommended builds inside the game itself to guarantee the player can actually make some progress without grinding the most basic of actions? Maybe a mining/smith, a whore, and a warrior or mage build?

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
Learning the mining skill really shouldn't cost any craft exp. The skill itself has no inherent value, since you can't do anything with it until you get a specialization.

You can use it without the specialisations to Mine out the secret rooms!

Otherwise, what exactly have you learnt? This is quite frustrating if you didn't know ahead of time that you just spent half of the exp needed to get the skill you wanted and have to keep grinding out more.

There is "Hero Mode" which shells out so much exp that it takes like a day to learn a Skill in game.

In general it's really hard just to get started in this game unless you picked very specific skills. You need to grind craft exp to learn a better way to make money/exp, then grind money so you can afford a building bench, then grind out more craft exp so you can gather the materials, then grind the materials before you can finally make something to earn money. The process isn't fun, it's just time consuming. Do laundry, talk, and look for chests, rest and repeat.

Well you are starting as the lowest rank minion that is supposed to scrape his way up. Though you would literally need to take no Skills at the start and play on "Minion Mode" for it to be that hard.

Maybe there should at least be a few recommended builds inside the game itself to guarantee the player can actually make some progress without grinding the most basic of actions? Maybe a mining/smith, a whore, and a warrior or mage build?

I have been contemplating some character presets, so it is quite likely they will appear in the near future. Hopefully it will make it easier on new players that don't really know how well some Skills synergise.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Well you are starting as the lowest rank minion that is supposed to scrape his way up. Though you would literally need to take no Skills at the start and play on "Minion Mode" for it to be that hard.
It does matter a great deal which skills you pick. I selected artificer and charisma as my starting skills and went with the difficulty labeled as 'the way the game was intended to be played.' All of the crafting skills other than cooking and smithing (and building if you convince the goblin thief to give you the bench) are completely useless until you've earned enough money to be able to afford the relevant crafting bench. Crafting benches are also far and beyond the most expensive items in the game and take dozens of days to earn enough to buy.

I'll have to try the hero mode to see what it's like to really comment on that, but I hope my experience is at least useful as an example of how a new player can accidentally screw themselves over by complete accident and get a bad experience as a result. First impressions do matter and you generally don't want players to quit your game in frustration.

EDIT: You need mining skill 2 to excavate the secret chamber. So doesn't that still mean that mining skill 1 with no specialization is still worthless?

Last edited:

FeyRing

Aug 8, 2019
It does matter a great deal which skills you pick. I selected artificer and charisma as my starting skills and went with the difficulty labeled as 'the way the game was intended to be played.' All of the crafting skills other than cooking and smithing (and building if you convince the goblin thief to give you the bench) are completely useless until you've earned enough money to be able to afford the relevant crafting bench. Crafting benches are also far and beyond the most expensive items in the game and take dozens of days to earn enough to buy.

I do agree that there is a general problem with the crafting bench prices, at least a few of them have really high costs. In most cases it would be easier to buy the Construction Skill first just to craft them. I do plan to space out "public use" ones across the world for free access, like the Anvil in the Smithy.

I'll have to try the hero mode to see what it's like to really comment on that, but I hope my experience is at least useful as an example of how a new player can accidentally screw themselves over by complete accident and get a bad experience as a result. First impressions do matter and you generally don't want players to quit your game in frustration.

I'll add some Character Presets to make it easier for the first playthroughs. Though I will note that the mode you played is considered "too grindy" for the majority of the players and is the reason why I made the "Hero Mode". I personally quite like grindy games so I didn't want to outright delete the difficulty and so I just split the game into two modes to try and cater to both categories of people. There is no downside in choosing the "Hero Mode" it literally just gives +50% more Exp.

EDIT: You need mining skill 2 to excavate the secret chamber. So doesn't that still mean that mining skill 1 with no specialization is still worthless?

There are 3 Rooms to dig up, the First one requires only Level 1, the last two require Level 2.

what secret chamber?

There are three secret rooms that you can dig up in the Mines. The first two are obvious with cracks in the walls. The last is hard to find as it is to the very top right of the map in the dark corner with no visual cue.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I do agree that there is a general problem with the crafting bench prices, at least a few of them have really high costs. In most cases it would be easier to buy the Construction Skill first just to craft them. I do plan to space out "public use" ones across the world for free access, like the Anvil in the Smithy.
Is there somewhere to buy the construction skill? I couldn't find an obvious/non-random source. You'd probably also need woodcutting too, right? Or wait for wood to come up as a random option from the merchant?