Return to Mareth (In Game)

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
[Okay, 9, so you can ask one question from the list presented on the SRD. And, be sure to describe what your character is doing.]

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
[rolled a 3 and 5-1 wis stat=8] [said this in another place an hour ago :/ ]

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
[What here is not what appears to be?]

Elliana goes around from house to house, asking people about suspicious characters and the missing people. For the houses without any people in it, she peeks through whatever she can, and looks around the houses' surroundings.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
[Anyone who rolls a 7-9 can ask one question from the Discern Realities list. Anyone who gets a 10+ can ask 3]

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
[What here is useful or valuable to me?]

Derek opens his mouth, beginning to word a strange tongue, after a while he stops, nothing seeming to change, he then goes through abandoned houses, for he noticed something a while ago. the presumed attackers objective are the people, not material items, meaning he might be able to find useful supplies and/or valuables for their endeavors.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Elliana made her way around the outskirts of the village, with Derek in tow. As she questioned the few people willing to talk to a stranger, she began to notice a surprising number of houses that didn't seem to have owners. As if the town had once sported a much larger population.

While Elliana was busy chatting up the residents of the town, she failed to notice Derek slip away on his own. Pausing, momentarily, to conjure up an extra set of hands, the wily mage could not suppress his opportunistic side any longer, and quietly slipped into one of the abandoned houses. What he found was... disappointing, to say the least. Apparently, even in a town this small, people were not in the habit of leaving valuables in homes once a person was declared deceased. Giving the empty dwelling a quick once-over, he was about to leave when a curious glint in the fireplace caught his eye. Kneeling down to investigate, he blew away some of the ancient ash. His eyes widened in delight as three small colorless uncut gems were revealed. Pocketing his small prizes, he quickly left the house. A fresh spring in his step, he quickened his pace to catch up with Elliana, only to blunder right into one of the villagers.

The man was significantly shorter than Derek, but what he lacked in height he more than made up for in muscle. His long hair and big bushy beard were a deep black, and he wore a smith's apron with more than a few scorch marks on it. "Ah, another newcomer," he says with a stern tone. "Elder Nomer, wants to have a word with you." The man motioned to a large house near the center of town. Derek looked around for Elliana, only to see that she was having a similar confrontation with a few other villagers.

[We're going to have to pause things again until the rest of the party can make their posts.]

Penguinmafia

Jul 28, 2016
[Rolled a 5 and a 3, with +1 wis it gives me 9... rip]

[What should i be on the lookout for?]

Mia enters the town and slowly studies it. It is definitely not the same town she came to last time, looking run down and the small population that still lives here have gaunt faces and sad, empty eyes. "This place, it feels like death..."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
[Rolled a 6 and a 5, with a +2 wis mod. 13 total.]

[What happened here Recently?] [What should I be on the lookout four?] [What here is not what it appears to be?]

Castella follows Mia into town, her mind sharp as she takes in the strange town. "Death would be a comforting feeling. It can be faced and in some ways defied. But this...this is a worse feeling. Mystery hangs in the air, trickery lies in the shadows and unrest is so thick you could cut it with a knife."

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
As Mia, and Castella, made their way through town, it quickly became apparent that Ingnam was not used to visitors. Almost every person they passed took notice of them in some way. Some dropped what they were doing and hurried into their homes, others merely stared at the two of them. As they got deeper into town, both women began to notice, with growing concern, that every person they passed seemed to be armed in some fashion. Most of the villagers were carrying knives, or clubs, of various sizes. Others had woodcutting axes, sickles, or some other sharp farming implement, most of which looked to have been recently sharpened. All in all, the town seemed to be expecting trouble.

As they made their way to the opposite side of town, a curious sight caught Castella's eye. One of the trails leading out of town seemed to have seen significantly higher foot traffic than the others they had passed. Strangely, the trail did not lead to one of the farms, or roads out of town, but up into the heavily forested hills that made up the border of Lothlyde. Despite her best efforts, she couldn't recall ever hearing of a mine in this area.

Just as the two of them were about to start heading back to regroup with their companions. A harsh voice called out, "Hold there, travelers!" Approaching them were three men dressed in leather armor and wearing blue cloaks that were held in place by shield shaped brooches identifying them as constables. "Elder Nomer, has requested your presence, I'm going to have to ask you to come with us," said the leader of the trio.  

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
She looks to Mia then back to the guards. "I am sorry if we offended you with your presence, but we are not here to cause any trouble. So long as you give me your word that we will not be harmed in any way, I will come along without fus. Though I must ask...where does that trail lead to?" She points to the trail that leads into the woods. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"That's what the Elder wants to speak to you about," the constable replies. "And, as long as you give us no reason to detain you, you will not be harmed."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"then there is no issue. Lead the way sirs, I will follow without a complaint." She smiles at the guards and follows them to the elder.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
[Am I right in assuming the other two are on their way, aswell, as we waited for the others to responds?]

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
[Yes, just waiting to see if anyone's going to try anything funny with the guards before I advance the story. You never can tell with adventurers, after all.]

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
[Penguin, what you should be on the lookout for is the potential armed mob, if this goes south.]

Not wanting to antagonize the already wary citizens, the intrepid adventurers decided to go along peacefully with the guards. They were lead to the big house near the center of town. The sitting room they found themselves in was rustic but comfortable. Waiting for them there was what had to be the oldest man any of them had ever seen; probably in his late eighties. As they entered, he raised his wrinkled, hairless, head and gave a warm smile. "Ah, visitors. What brings you folks to our little slice of Lothlyde? And so heavily armed at that."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"We are here to investigate a large number of vanishings in this general area. A large number of towns have reported that lone travelers have suddenly vanished, never to be seen again. My companions and I have been contracted by Duke Theodore to try and find the source and stop it if we can. Do you have any information that could help us?"

Penguinmafia

Jul 28, 2016
"As my companion has said, we are here to seek out whatever is stealing the people from this area, any information you can provide would be apprecitated." She gives a short bow to the village elder, then returns to her normal stance.

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
Pausing for a moment, thinking, Derek asks "Why have you all not regrouped at another town instead of staying here, there seems to be no other benefit from staying at a constantly-at-risk village."

Last edited by a moderator:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
"What they said, yeah. We're not here to disturb anyone, but the Duke doesn't like his subjects disappearing, so we're here to hopefully find them, or stop whatever is causing the disappearances." The small woman speaks up.

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
The elder looked at each of them in turn before letting out a sigh of relief. "So, someone has finally come to help us," he said, in a weary tone. "Tell me, what do you all know about... Dragons?"

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"Dragons? They are powerful creatures of both might and magic. Fierce and deadly, not a foe I would like to face if I could help it. They have attacked the kingdom before. Are you saying these are dragon attacks?"

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Elliana ponders for a bit, wondering if a dragon wouldn't leave a larger imprint on the forests and trees around the village. "Castella, aren't dragons really big?"

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"Indeed they are," the elder replied. "Fortunately, the one I speak of is still a juvenile; barely bigger than a horse. It move into a cave up in the hills some time ago. The beast attacked our village once, but fortunately we managed to drive it off. It has since stuck to ambushing lone travelers, and anyone who strays too far from town."

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
"that's unexpected, What in gods name drove him here...in any case, what else do you know about the dragons characteristics?"

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
"Wait, why didn't you get rid of it? You said you managed to drive it off. Or was that just by the skin of your teeth?"

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
The elder pondered for a moment before speaking. "It has scales of crimson, and teeth like obsidian. While flames occasionally lick at it's mouth, we've yet to actually see it breath fire."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
her eyes go wide. "Red scales....this is very bad. From what I understand, red dragons are the most aggressive kind known to man. We can not allow it to mature! A cave in the mountain you said?"