Return to Mareth (In Game)

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
Lothlyde. A land of towering forests, picturesque glades, and rolling mist-shrouded moors, Lothlyde is known for both it's rustic beauty, and hidden dangers. Established over three centuries ago, the people of Lothlyde have fended of everything from raiders and brigands, to trolls and dragons. And yet, the earls and counts who rule this federation of city-states, and landholders, learned long ago that the most dangerous threats to their lands and kin are far more subtle than thieves and monsters. So, when a string of disappearances was reported along the outlying towns and villages, it was only a matter of time before someone took notice.

Our story begins at Calbridge Keep. Ruled by the Duke Theodore, Calbridge Keep had stood overlooking one of the few roads that lead through the thick forests that surround Lothlyde almost as long as the nation has existed. The Keep's dining hall was rustic, yet welcoming. The room dominated by a large oaken table set with food and drink, it's walls lined with tapestries depicting the great deeds of the Duke's ancestors, and a massive fireplace kept the room warm, despite the pouring rain outside. Gathered around the table were a rather rough looking collection of individuals, all drawn to answer the Duke's call for able-bodied men and women for one reason or another, be it the greater good, the protection of the wild land they call home, or simply the allure of promised wealth. As they enjoyed the fine food that had been provided for them, their only company was each other, and the silent chamberlain who stood at the main entryway awaiting the arrival of his lord.

Sitting at the table were three women, and a single man. Mia Bahkald, an experienced swordswoman, who had perhaps seen one too many battles. Elliana Quinta, the young but skilled huntress and guide. Castella Grimwaltz, the matronly priestess of the moon. And, finally, Derek, the giant of the forest.

[And so it begins. Please place any OOC comments or die rolls in brackets like this, otherwise have fun getting to know each other.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Elliana eats heartily of the exquisite food, suspecting it will be the last proper meal she will have for days, maybe even weeks. Practically nothing of which she takes goes to waste, bones are picked clean of flesh and marrow. It might look a bit uncouth to more "civilized" folk, but she knows not to waste precious food, especially that of animals. Leaving tender flesh to waste away is a disrespect to the animal slaughtered to feed them. Her blue eyes occasionally glance at her soon-to-be companions, going over their physical attributes until one of them breaks the ice, which she isn't fond of doing, herself.

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
Having enough of the awkward dinner silence, Castella clears her throat and smiles over to Elliana. "So, you are one of the few who answer this call to arms? That is very brave for someone as young as you. May I know what drives you to such a potentially dangerous mission? Oh, forgive me, I have not introduced myself. I am Castella Grimwaltz, celestial priestess and follower of the moon. A pleasure to meet you."

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Elliana looks at the older woman. "My name is Elliana Quinta, Castella, and there's no need to ask forgiveness. To tell you the truth, I'm more here due to the challenge it offers. Wandering the dense forests and wilderness around my hometown has started to lose it's sense of adventure, danger and wonder. And you're a priestess, huh? Perhaps your prayers to the moon would help during the night. And, if I may, why are you commenting on my age? I would almost suspect you too old to be out adventuring. You don't have kids or a husband?" She raises an eyebrow, leaning back a little in her seat as her eyes stay locked onto the motherly priestess.

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
. . . "I'm bored."

[Just cuz I'm a foot taller doesn't make me a giant ;_;]

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
She chuckles and actually nods at her statement. "You speak the truth, I do not have a husband or child. No one has caught my eye over the years...though maybe I am just being picky. I inquire about your age simply out of a sense of...I guess you could say, motherly protection? I tend to worry about others a tad too much at times. Worry not, the moon is every watchful over its faithful...even during the day I can feel it's protective gaze and can call upon it." She shifts in her seat before continuing. "As for my age, I am only thirty! My body is still strong and my will is steel! I will not be slowing you down, I promise.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Her look changes to reflect her mild surprise, then rapidly fades back. "Heh, I could have sworn you were older... 35, maybe. And I'm 19, which means I'm not a child to be coddled. I can handle myself just as well as, if not better than, anyone." She gives a confident smirk, which turns to a more genuine smile. "I'll make sure you don't fall behind in the wilderness. You can count on me, and if worse comes to worse, I can fend for myself in a jam." She looks around at the others at the table.

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"Well, that is very generous of you. I won't try to coddle you either, so don't give me that look. I was your age once as well! Trying to prove the world that young does not mean helpless." She chuckles and goes back to eating for a bit, curious of the others sitting at the table.

Penguinmafia

Jul 28, 2016
The red headed knight finishes eating, sits back on the chair and looks around at her companions. She certainly isn't happy about the prospect of working for a country she despises but it is the only way to pay for her fathers medication, so here she is, a grumpy look across her pretty features. "I hope you all know this isn't gonna be some fun outing with a nice picnic at the end, no one offers this kind of money for something nice and easy." Mia adjusts one of her gleaming shoulder plates, her scale armour seems exceedingly well crafted and looked after, in many places it would go for a lot of money.

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
"Hey, I just go wherever there's a mixture of money and commotion, what's life without events?"

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
"I wouldn't be here if I expected a walk in the park." She fires back. "And the money... might just give it away if I'm alive to claim it. What's your story, and why the hostility?"

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"Oh my, no need for such bristling. We have just met, at least give us a chance to get on your good side ms. knight." Her tone is that of an amused mother speaking with an uppity child.

Penguinmafia

Jul 28, 2016
"I gave up any love I had for this country a long time ago......" She says in a tired tone. "But i have someone i don't want to lose, the only way i can get enough money is this job." The emblem on her swords hilt is faded and barely recognisable, but it belongs to the countries elite group of knights, showing she either is a member or an ex member. Her obvious distaste for Lothlyde shows it is probably the latter.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
"Must be someone really close to you to risk your life on this expedition. Who is it, if I may ask?" She looks over at the knight, putting on the most concern-laden voice she can.

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"So you were hurt then? Hurt in a way that not only jaded your attitude toward others, but removed your loyalty to king and country? I do not know what happened to you, nor do I wish to pass any judgement, but I would like to offer you advice. Do not live with a grudge and hatred in your heart. It only leads to your own downfall. If you would like, I could show you the teaching of the moon! Maybe you can find solace in the warm glow of moonlight."

Penguinmafia

Jul 28, 2016
"Well it's my father, I hoped to work under him at his forge but he was taken ill before I could learn much. I hoped to run the family blacksmith but it appears fate has other plans." She sighs, taking a cloth out of her bag and cleaning some dirt off her armour. "This was the only way to earn enough to pay for his medication..." The knight blushes slightly, embarrassed about revealing so much about herself so easily, she goes back to cleaning her armour. 

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
"You'd think someone who would hire mercenaries would be waiting for them, not the other way around..."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"Don't be rude. Not only have we been welcomed into such a fine manor, but we have been given such a grand meal. I say it is only polite to wait on their appearance, at least for now."

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
As if on queue, the door opens and in walks a tall broad shouldered man of at least forty. The chamberlain calls out, "Announcing, Lord Theodore."

With his introduction made, Theodore takes a seat at the head of the table, and offers a friendly smile. "Ah, welcome," he says. "I hope the food is to everyone's liking."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"It is most wonderful my lord, thank you for your kindness." She bows her head to him.

Penguinmafia

Jul 28, 2016
"Hmmm, it was alright I guess." Her mood immediately turns sour at the appearance of the lord, she rests a hand on the hilt of her long sword instinctively. 

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"Wonderful," proclaimed Theodore. "I'd hate for my guests to feel unattended to." As he spoke, a number of servants began clearing a spot on the table in front of him. "Now then, allow me to get down to business." The Duke's manner suddenly became much more serious. "I, and several other lords, have begun searching for talented individuals to look into a matter of grave importance. You see, along the edges of Lothlyde, an alarming number of people have been going missing."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"So the rumors are true then? I had only heard faint stories and idle superstition until now. Do you know what or who is behind it? Or is that part of our job?"

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"We know not who or what is behind the missing people, but we do know that the disappearances have been happening around some of the more remote towns and villages." As the Duke spoke, the chamberlain unrolled a map of Lothlyde and the surrounding area. "Over a dozen people have vanished in each of these five areas over the last year," said Theodore, pointing to the marked areas on the map. "The town of Rykfield, the hills of snow, Lake Meregont, an abandoned iron mine, and the place I'd like you to investigate, a small village called Ingnam."

Floozer

Oct 1, 2015
"That is...a much larger area of affect than I imagined it would be. For so many places to be hit...this is either the work of a large group, or something of magical qualities. No one person can cover so much land!" She shakes her head, disgusted at the thought. "What can we expect at Ingnam?"

Gamer791

Oct 14, 2015
"Have you sent any scouts to investigate the area for simple signs, like if food was mainly pillaged, or goods and coin?"

Ecnalab

Apr 18, 2016
"From the missing persons reports we have received, it appears that only lone travelers, and traders are being targeted. We are preparing to mobilize the military to begin patrolling the areas, but that will take time and alert anyone involved in this situation that the authorities are onto them. What we need, right now, are small groups of people that can investigate this matter quickly and quietly." With that, Theodore rose from his chair and began pacing around the room, admiring the tapestries as he went. "My family has watched over these lands for generations. I'm not about to sit back and watch them be undermined by some dark force." Upon finishing his walk around the room, Theodore returned to his seat. He then turned to Castella, "As for what you can expect to find in Ingnam, I do not know. However, my chamberlain pointed out a rather disturbing fact about the area where the disappearances took place." Taking a charred stick from the fireplace, the Duke proceeded to draw a line connecting each of the spots in turn, until finally the lines formed a perfect pentagram.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
"Okay, that is pretty damn creepy. Thankfully, they didn't seem to have attacked my home." She ponders for a moment. "You think that shape is a kind of clue? It seems rather convenient that whoever commited the crimes did so in such an orderly fashion."