Nightgames Mod (v2.5.1.2) updated 2/11/17

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
i cant get the game to start i downloaded it unzipped but it wont let me open the jar without using another app to open it

Have you installed Java? (From www.java.com)

You'll need Java 8 for the mod (6 for the original), so if you have an older version than that it won't work. (But you really shouldn't have such old versions anyway)

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
Charm + Successful Counter = Instant win (the only option available is Surrender) - is this intentional?

EDIT: Funnily enough, the AI did this to me (to be specific: Jewel) and got me to 0 willpower and way over 1000 arousal and just continued to tease/wait, so I actually won that game despite hitting surrender multiple times lmfao - she was on hard AI mode too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
Have you installed Java? (From www.java.com)

You'll need Java 8 for the mod (6 for the original), so if you have an older version than that it won't work. (But you really shouldn't have such old versions anyway)

I've had the same problem. There's clearly something obvious that we're missing and I, ignorant in these matters, can't find it.

My attempt to run the game from scratch was:
-Install Java (version 8.77)
-Download game
-Unpack .zip using 7zip
-Unpack "NightgamesMod_1_9_4.jar" using 7zip
-Double click unpacked "NightgamesMod_1_9_4.jar"
-Opens window asking which program to open it with

So I'm pretty sure something is wrong here, because I don't think that is supposed to happen and if it is then I have no idea what the next step is. Where have I gone wrong and how do I fix it? I've spent hours trying to figure this out on my tod, clicking every click I can click but to no avail. Help would be appreciated.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
I've had the same problem. There's clearly something obvious that we're missing and I, ignorant in these matters, can't find it.

My attempt to run the game from scratch was:
-Install Java (version 8.77)
-Download game
-Unpack .zip using 7zip
-Unpack "NightgamesMod_1_9_4.jar" using 7zip
-Double click unpacked "NightgamesMod_1_9_4.jar"
-Opens window asking which program to open it with

So I'm pretty sure something is wrong here, because I don't think that is supposed to happen and if it is then I have no idea what the next step is. Where have I gone wrong and how do I fix it? I've spent hours trying to figure this out on my tod, clicking every click I can click but to no avail. Help would be appreciated.

Don't unpack NightgamesMod_1_9_4.jar, just run it. If you're prompted for what to run it with, choose Java.

Skeleton Man

Dec 22, 2015
Don't unpack NightgamesMod_1_9_4.jar, just run it. If you're prompted for what to run it with, choose Java.

There's 4 different "java"s in the folder (java, javaw, javaws, javacpl). The one that did something came up with "Application Error" "Unable to launch the application." then a bunch of spiel that I couldn't make heads or tails of in the "Exceptions" and "Wrapped Exception" sections when I clicked "Details". The rest did nowt. Vague as that is, any suggestions from here or is it towel-throwing time?

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
There's 4 different "java"s in the folder (java, javaw, javaws, javacpl). The one that did something came up with "Application Error" "Unable to launch the application." then a bunch of spiel that I couldn't make heads or tails of in the "Exceptions" and "Wrapped Exception" sections when I clicked "Details". The rest did nowt. Vague as that is, any suggestions from here or is it towel-throwing time?

If you've installed Java through the regular process, you should be able to simply double-click the .jar to run the game. It sounds like you're running from a command line, which should work as well. If you could post or pm that error message, that is sure to give us a clue as to what's going wrong.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Last i heard he was taking a break. He said he would come back in maybe a month, so...

He does indeed seem to have taken a leave of absence. Myself, I have made a few additions and fixes. If nergantre stays away much longer*, I will post an update myself. I'm quite sure he'd be alright with that.

(*not to imply that he is somehow obligated to get back to working on this; it's not like he's being paid)

buffmuffin

Apr 5, 2016
He does indeed seem to have taken a leave of absence. Myself, I have made a few additions and fixes. If nergantre stays away much longer*, I will post an update myself. I'm quite sure he'd be alright with that.

(*not to imply that he is somehow obligated to get back to working on this; it's not like he's being paid)

Could start a Pateon... I'd join, i enjoy this mod.

Are there any special event's beyond Maya showing up?

I played to 95 saves and didn't see any additional events, didn't know if there was an end to play for or basically just repetitious open play after that?

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
Could start a Pateon... I'd join, i enjoy this mod.

Are there any special event's beyond Maya showing up?

I played to 95 saves and didn't see any additional events, didn't know if there was an end to play for or basically just repetitious open play after that?

There's no ending yet, and Maya is the only special event unless you count the capture the flag/FTC matches. All skills will probably be unlocked by level 50 or so, after that all that's left is building stats. No new content, just bigger numbers.

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
It's not really my place to say this but you shouldnt press for this mod to become a patreon project without thinking the implications of such a system. It is, after all, a mod of an existing game. It would be at the very least be upsetting if the mod eventually become a better business than the original creation while still using it as a basis. You should probably leave the discussion of such an endeavor to the mod author and the original game creator. 

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
There's definitely no way this will ever be a patreon project.

The reason is twofold:

1. (most important reason) this is a mod on a game. I own nothing about nightgames. It already has its own patreon, so if you would like to support the game head over to https://www.patreon.com/silverbardgames

2. I also do not want to have anything to do with money. I make enough to get by, and I want to keep this strictly as a hobby. I don't want to feel obligated to do anything, because for me this is completely for fun. If you want to throw money at the mod specifically, feel free to commission stuff and donate assets or writing. But otherwise, this will always be strictly free and developed in my spare time.

@Skeleton Man,

Maybe this thread will help you?

@vyyr,

Yup I'm taking a break for a while. Honestly I'm feeling kind of at a dead end with this mod. There's always more content I could code in, but the code base is crusty enough that barring a pretty hefty refactor, most of the changes I can make is limited by the system. If I want to make the refactor, I'll make merging in future content from the original more painful. Also, with that much coding work I'd rather be working on something of my own... :\ I can't really say if I'm going to pick up the mod again in the near future, but I'm not planning on releasing something else for the next few weeks for sure.

@dndw,

Feel free to release stuff :eek:

I'll give you push permission on github as well if you feel like pushing it to my repo as well. Otherwise I'll just pull whenever I feel like working on stuff again.

Anyways, sorry guys if this is disappointing, but hopefully I'll be back soon with something cool.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
So I've finished up what I wanted to do for now. It's a small update, so don't get your hopes up. I still have some testing to do, but no time to do it, so I'll release the update tomorrow. If anyone has any last-minute suggestions/requests/bugs/whatever, now is the time.

buffmuffin

Apr 5, 2016
@vyyr,

Yup I'm taking a break for a while. Honestly I'm feeling kind of at a dead end with this mod. There's always more content I could code in, but the code base is crusty enough that barring a pretty hefty refactor, most of the changes I can make is limited by the system. If I want to make the refactor, I'll make merging in future content from the original more painful. Also, with that much coding work I'd rather be working on something of my own... :\ I can't really say if I'm going to pick up the mod again in the near future, but I'm not planning on releasing something else for the next few weeks for sure.

@dndw,

Feel free to release stuff :eek:

I'll give you push permission on github as well if you feel like pushing it to my repo as well. Otherwise I'll just pull whenever I feel like working on stuff again.

Anyways, sorry guys if this is disappointing, but hopefully I'll be back soon with something cool.

Hmmm, well enjoy your break :)

I really enjoy the mod... The original is a little vanilla for my tastes, but give credit where it's due, the concept is fantastic. Really like the plot line. 

That said, there is so much i would like to see with this mod. 

I don't know if it was a bug, or if some unreleased code made it into the game, which seems to happen from time to time, but i was fighting Airi and somehow got into a scene where *I* was the slime, and had option to engulf and torment her. 

That's what i would most like to see implemented, is the slime trait and ability... I got a thing for slime girls. 

As for the Patreon ,I don't mean this specific project, you seem to have talent, or at least similar kinks as myself, given how much more I like the mod than the original. 

I meant a patreon for your time modding games in general... There are tons out there in this format too vanilla for my tastes... or... Who knows, maybe a game of your own. 

The really great thing about this open ended concept Silver-Bard came up with is the vast opportunity for specific, unlockable events only if certain traits or abilities are pursued... 

That alone lends to countless possible endings given the sheer number of stats, abilities and NPC's in the game. 

the replayability of the game would be unmatched, frankly. 

As a personally pleasing example... With slime trait, the late game ability to engulf and convert players into fellow slimes... A special seen where (one of) your girlfriend'(s) visits you in dorm and you convert her... From that point on whenever she happens to catch you fighting with another NPC, you both go gooey and transform that NPC... (key sexy goo-girl absorption scene)  Afterwards, the newly transformed slime will assist in converting other NPC's as well... Converting all NPC's leads to a new mini-game where you go through the college transforming all the students and faculty members leading to an End Game > Slime World... 

Hawt...

My mind is rife with this stuff :p  

ccd4bd1b3b99.gif

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
As promised, here's an update:

MEGA - Nightgamesmod_1_9_5.zip (7.9MB)

Changes:

-Null values in saves do not cause crashes (-- but are incorrect and will be fixed)
-Leech Seed:
    -Now costs mojo
    -Requires the pussy/ass to be naked
-Strapon has a longer timeout (6->15 turns)
-Struggling while fucking now correctly changes into a dominant position rather than standing (there was a check so this wouldn't happen if the 'penetrator' is using a strapon, but that check was inverted)
-Cynical no longer prevents mojo gain, but lowers it by 25%
-Seeded no longer prints messages when the player is not involved
-A few uninteresting internal changes

Edit:

I forgot to check whether @nergantre had uploaded new stuff before releasing the update. He did.

One of the things he made was to give Cassie addicting milk. That may not sound like much, but it's really, really cool. Basically, the effects last not only the entire match, but beyond as well. Indulge in her milk enough and you'll be hopelessly addicted. When fighting her (technically, any one with 'magic milk', but she's the only one who can get it), you have a choice: Either you gradually lose willpower as your cravings subvert you, or you drink more milk. The latter would subdue the cravings, but increase the lasting addiction.The only way to get rid of it is to go through withdrawal, which quite drastically lowers your willpower cap the next match. And even that can take a long time.

Like I said, I find this seriously cool. The long-lasting effects are fantastic, and I'll see about implementing something like it for every character. Not all at first, perhaps, and probably not for custom characters (Rosea, Samantha), but I will. These will be effects which are extremely hazardous, but only if you are careless enough to let them build up. Cassie's milk confers additional daytime scenes, which adds a new layer of persistence and character development. Really, really cool. Were I the type of person who wears hats, mine would be off to you, nergantre.

(BTW, the reason I'm not merging these changes in to the above update is that I don't know how well they've been tested, so I'll make sure to do some myself. Then I'll probably wait until I have persistent effects for two or three other characters. That may take a while, since I'm so busy I should be ashamed of myself for spending any time on this game. But, alas, discipline is not a virtue I can claim to possess.)

Edit 2:

Good thing I didn't release the merged version yet. I just hit a bug where I must choose to either have my saves corrupted, or to have FTC matches crash at the start. Joy.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
Thanks dndw :eek: . I was working on some scenes for it before I stopped. The effects are there already, but it was taking me forever to write all the scenes :|

dndw

Aug 27, 2015

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Yeah. Turns out that the game's most prevalent fetish is actually the size 15 font. Seemingly everything in it is size 15. As for details, I guess I could make some tooltips, although to be 100% honest I'm not able to provide an accurate description of what each element in the creation menu does. Feel free to add them if you want, I suspect that getting each element to resize correctly might take me a while. After doing that I'll probably find a spot for the intro text, and after that I want to work on making the battle text a little bit more palatable. And if I get there, after that, I want to make the buttons less messy. Really think this game should have the capacity of being played using the keyboard exclusively.

tjmac124

Oct 2, 2015
Are you invalidcharacter adding more stuff to the game? If so can you send me a link to download it?

MotoKuchoma

Nov 3, 2015
What does the female/male preference slider actually do? (Also, is there a good explanation on what the different AI settings do? I found them quite incompetent on any setting).

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
Are you invalidcharacter adding more stuff to the game? If so can you send me a link to download it?

For now I mostly just tweak the look of the game, so you're not missing out on any major gameplay changes. Once I'm done with my changes I'll ask one of the mod supervisors to incorporate the changes into the main mod. I don't aim to start distributing an even more modified version of the game any time soon.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
What does the female/male preference slider actually do? (Also, is there a good explanation on what the different AI settings do? I found them quite incompetent on any setting).

in short: not much. I think it used to decide how likely the npcs are to grow a cock at the body shop, but it hasn't really been in use for a while.

There are two AI settings: dumb ai, which just picks random skills to use, and normal ai which will try to pick the best move. Sadly it is a work in progress, and sometimes they make some really dumb decisions :\

Longbow

Feb 10, 2016
in short: not much. I think it used to decide how likely the npcs are to grow a cock at the body shop, but it hasn't really been in use for a while.

I'm curious. Do they ever still do that? I've been playing the mod a bit since I just recently discovered both it and the base game, but I haven't seen them do that as of yet.

There are two AI settings: dumb ai, which just picks random skills to use, and normal ai which will try to pick the best move. Sadly it is a work in progress, and sometimes they make some really dumb decisions :\

This has probably been mentioned before, but I noticed if you're over your max arousal, such as due to using surrender, they will refuse to finish you off. They'll do basically everything except finish you.

Oh and, of course, thank you for your work on this mod. You did the portraits too, right? I quite like them.

nergantre

Aug 28, 2015
@female/male slider, not sure have to check the code

@ai, yup it's an known issue. the AI apparently favors high arousal over lowered willpower sometimes... :\

invalidcharacter

Dec 10, 2015
How hard would it be for the AI to progressively learn to counter its enemies? Take into account what worked and what didn't over multiple battles and pursue the optimal strategy from there, feeding random commands from time to time to make sure it's not missing any major parallel strategy?

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
How hard would it be for the AI to progressively learn to counter its enemies? Take into account what worked and what didn't over multiple battles and pursue the optimal strategy from there, feeding random commands from time to time to make sure it's not missing any major parallel strategy?

Short answer: Very hard.

Long answer: What you're describing is called reinforcement learning, and you're also hinting at the more general exploration/exploitation trade-off in machine learning. The difficulties in such an approach include these:

• It's hard to implement
  • It would require a lot of simulation, which would take a long time
  • It might still be shit
  • Most importantly: a mathematically optimal strategy might not at all be fun to play against. I could imagine that a high-level Cassie could just spam kisses and win, but that would get boring very quickly.

<brainstorm>

That said, the simulation framework is already there, and we might be able to use the AI modifiers for this... There would need to be a way to keep track of the skills used throughout the match and then evaluate afterwards. Or we might look at the fitness level and only look back a few turns. If the fitness level increased, the previous sequence of skills was probably a good one. I actually tried making something like this about two years ago and failed miserably, but there is a lot more infrastructure now. Perhaps it's possible.

</brainstorm>