Killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
Re: Shade,

Shade flashes you a grin. “Her other mother was, yeah. Met her when I was just starting out in the hunter business; she was leading a crew of construction drones on a kaithrit colony, and they’d turned up my next lead while excavating: a body, buried in the jungle. Nasty business. She was older than me, and bigger, but just enough to take the lead and buy me a drink the next time I talked to her. One thing led to another, as they say, and by the time I’d brought in my quarry I was starting to show. One night, one time, without protection and look what happens. Still, I wouldn’t change a thing... I love my little girl and, I’ll be honest, I see her sire from time to time. We stay close, though she was too much of a play-girl to commit more than that. Has a trail of bastards behind her other than mine, I hear.”

In my playthrough, I told her the truth about the probe and our shared DNA, and then when I fought through the pirate base with Kara, she never showed up, so my character doesn't know that Shade and Amara are lovers yet, nor that she's working/worked for the black void. It'll hopefully be an interesting catfight when THAT bomb drops.

It's weird though, because Shade's personality - caring about family, punishing bad people - doesn't really gel with bounty hunting for the black void.

True. I imagine he, at least, would care if the rival went missing on some strange planet. Hrm, why do conversations about the rival get so involved when he has such a small presence in the game? Maximum controversy with minimal effort. I suppose I can respect his efficiency, at least.

Because he's the game's primary antagonist...the only reason he doesn't seem like more of a threat than he really is, is because the game doesn't actually hold you to any kind of time limit for getting to the probes. Realistically, if you dicked around exploring everywhere, talking to everyone, and undertaking tasks for every random schmuck you meet, your Rival would beat you to the probes since that's really the only thing he's doing.

As for Rival's dad not caring that the Rival has gone missing... well, it's just either another hole in the Codex-murder-witness theory, and the codex can't actually call for help when it realizes you've been murdered or captured, or Rival simply hasn't been captured for very long, and the rescue party is still on its way or something. It's too bad Taivra and her kin are such a rapey blight - if it weren't for that, I would have been interested in bartering for the probe and just let her keep Rival forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
Because he's the game's primary antagonist...the only reason he doesn't seem like more of a threat than he really is, is because the game doesn't actually hold you to any kind of time limit for getting to the probes. Realistically, if you dicked around exploring everywhere, talking to everyone, and undertaking tasks for every random schmuck you meet, your Rival would beat you to the probes since that's really the only thing he's doing.

I don't really see the rival as a threat at this point, maybe I warmed up to them a little after reading the bad end where Taivra lets you have rival as your personal bedwarmer/slave. Now if I imagine Jill beating my merc to the company I could just see her with a flushed face as she gives it to Steele Junior in a gift wrapper. "Don't get me wrong, it's n-not like I like you or anything, b-baka!"

Longbow

Feb 10, 2016

Hmm, now there's an interesting idea. It's a shame that time limits in games are about as polarizing as the rival is, especially when it comes to RPGs. I enjoy it when a game gives me a sense of urgency.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
It's weird though, because Shade's personality - caring about family, punishing bad people - doesn't really gel with bounty hunting for the black void.

Caring about family is not strange, it's classic double standards. There are we and they, if it is good fot us it is good, if it is bad for them we don't care. And about punishing bad people... She is just filtering which stories to tell and which to keep.

In my playthrough, I told her the truth about the probe and our shared DNA, and then when I fought through the pirate base with Kara, she never showed up, so my character doesn't know that Shade and Amara are lovers yet, nor that she's working/worked for the black void. It'll hopefully be an interesting catfight when THAT bomb drops.

Yes, this is something I really want to see too. And it's not only Shade...

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Christ did this thing explode.

Hard for me to look at a mass murderer or slaver and say 'that person has a soul and their life has intrinsic value'.

They are not demons, so not killing them is not 100% a good thing that always should be done.

All of the reasons not to kill someone IRL do then apply, to wit: a) You won't necessarily solve anything by killing them, and may indeed make it worse, b) you do not provide the worst punishment possible for their crimes, rotting away in a jailcell/plantation for the rest part of their lives, mulling over what they did, and c) it reflects incredibly poorly on you that the solution you immediately jump to when confronted by someone who is a scumbag is "kill them".

In the fullness of time, if he manages to keep his powder dry Steele Jr. will become head of a major corporation. What do you think he might be able to do with all that power and influence, hmm? With his unique perspective of how things really are on the lawless boundaries of space. Guaranteed you'll be able to do more then than if you go around trying to shoot every meaniehead that enters your POV as soon as you land in Mos Eisley.

Longbow

Feb 10, 2016
You know, I was curious about what happened to the pirates you fight in KaraQuest 2 since I couldn't quite remember, so I went back and checked. Apparently after you defeat a group of generic pirates the game says you tie them up and kick their weapons away. I know TiTS isn't really about killing things but that really is getting close to 4kids levels of silliness, there. Perhaps I should tuck them in and read them a bedtime story, as well. I'd hate to be rude, you see.

Hopefully one day I won't load up TiTS only to see that my guns have been replaced with walkie-talkies.

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
You know, I was curious about what happened to the pirates you fight in KaraQuest 2 since I couldn't quite remember, so I went back and checked. Apparently after you defeat a group of generic pirates the game says you tie them up and kick their weapons away. I know TiTS isn't really about killing things but that really is getting close to 4kids levels of silliness, there. Perhaps I should tuck them in and read them a bedtime story, as well. I'd hate to be rude, you see.

Hopefully one day I won't load up TiTS only to see that my guns have been replaced with walkie-talkies.
"My first mate's vitals are flatlining." -Amara Faell

I presume she was talking about the Pirate Juggernaught

Longbow

Feb 10, 2016
I presume she was talking about the Pirate Juggernaught

Interesting. I only fired up the game to fight a few random encounters in the base to refresh my memory, so I didn't go that far. The game only mentions that we leave generic encounters unconscious and tied up, whereas it seems we leave the juggernaut in an unstable condition from his wounds. I wonder if we leave the other pirates in an equally bad state.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Caring about family is not strange, it's classic double standards. There are we and they, if it is good fot us it is good, if it is bad for them we don't care. And about punishing bad people... She is just filtering which stories to tell and which to keep.

She is what a more savory version of Hard alignment should be like IMO. And in the conflict you witness/participate in, Kara and her boss aren't good or innocenet people, that's for sure.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Interesting. I only fired up the game to fight a few random encounters in the base to refresh my memory, so I didn't go that far. The game only mentions that we leave generic encounters unconscious and tied up, whereas it seems we leave the juggernaut in an unstable condition from his wounds. I wonder if we leave the other pirates in an equally bad state.

Tied up without first aid after being beaten to unconciousness... Likely.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
*snip*

The problem is - rival has corporation behind them already. Steele is alone. Yes, can pull some strings, yes, some employees can help in hope of future reward, but basically Steele is just another adventurer.

Your the legacy of "Fuck Rogers", born so he could spit in face of fate, no? His attempt to preserve his legacy? I'm pretty sure Victor left behind some command that, yes, they can't support you much more then giving you access to goods with a discount, but should you be slain in attempts to attain his riches by family, all hell would break loose.

Hmm, now there's an interesting idea. It's a shame that time limits in games are about as polarizing as the rival is, especially when it comes to RPGs. I enjoy it when a game gives me a sense of urgency.

And I hate timed games with a passion.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Your the legacy of "Fuck Rogers", born so he could spit in face of fate, no? His attempt to preserve his legacy? I'm pretty sure Victor left behind some command that, yes, they can't support you much more then giving you access to goods with a discount, but should you be slain in attempts to attain his riches by family, all hell would break loose.

Again, corporate distopia... After all, no one cares should you disappear in Tavitra's dungeons.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
Again, corporate distopia... After all, no one cares should you disappear in Tavitra's dungeons.

Unless Victor paid them to care.

Edit- I also mention family, they discussed Jack/Jill killing you. Everyone else is fair game of the protagonist's failure.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
Unless Victor paid them to care.

Even if he did, there´s no guarantee they would. 

And first thing they would do is call Max and ask if he would like to pay more.

Or that.

I´m sure there´s at least a couple of people in the company who would love to see our Steele lose the race, and would gladly try to cover up bad ends our captain can encounter.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015

Not everyone acts like that. Yes, they could, but Victor's had a looong life, long enough to find and employ such that would protect his legacy.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Not everyone acts like that. Yes, they could, but Victor's had a looong life, long enough to find and employ such that would protect his legacy.

Even if so - war never changes. As long as there ase resources to fight for, there would be people willing to.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
Even if so - war never changes. As long as there ase resources to fight for, there would be people willing to.

Yea, who knows who planted that espionage device during his funeral, but who can tell how many, a man of Victor's wealth, has employed to ward off assassination to the best of his ability. That Codex is your life guard, I suspect in more ways then one. Bound to miss on some but Victor seemed to have won the hearts of many.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Yea, who knows who planted that espionage device during his funeral, but who can tell how many, a man of Victor's wealth, has employed to ward off assassination to the best of his ability. That Codex is your life guard, I suspect in more ways then one. Bound to miss on some but Victor seemed to have won the hearts of many.

And still no one would investigate your disappearance in wilderness?

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015
And still no one would investigate your disappearance in wilderness?

Meh, I'm only assuming such things, and like I mentioned earlier. Safeguards against family. Everything else is supposed to be safe enough for you to handle if you follow his bread crumbles but there is no guarantee in a fight, or survival.

hawke56

Jan 1, 2016

A time limit at the current state of the game wouldn't work at all. Mostly due to the fact that since the devs don't regularily work on new main.plot content, which means the only new things you can do for long amounts of ingame time is dicking around exploring everywhere, talking to everyone, and undertaking tasks for every random schmuck you meet. Also there is the slight lore problem against it that currently your cousin may not even know any probe loacations after the one on Tarkus and he basically just follows you from then on. So you could probably be able to hang out on Tavros for 3 months between Tarkus ad Myrellion if you decide to do so.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
@Nik_van_Rijn I'd take that on the chin if all the other writers didn't do the exact same thing. As is, stop biting my arse.

'Twas love nibbles. I'm sorry if my attempt at comedy ended up being irritating and would like to assure you that I have nothing against creators promoting their content. Especially if they do that during a relevant conversation and the content is good.

With TiTS being what it is, I'm always unsure what tropes will win out in any particular situation. Ones stemming from the Sapace Opera side of things dictate that trustworthy and uncorruptable True Friends of Victor will be there to help Junior. But tropes associated with seedy corporate dystopias tell us that the suits would sell PC out to Uncle Max faster than Victor's body got cold.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
With TiTS being what it is, I'm always unsure what tropes will win out in any particular situation. Ones stemming from the Sapace Opera side of things dictate that trustworthy and uncorruptable True Friends of Victor will be there to help Junior. But tropes associated with seedy corporate dystopias tell us that the suits would sell PC out to Uncle Max faster than Victor's body got cold.

I'd say both. Which actually means that you would have neither problems nor help most of the times.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
Christ did this thing explode.

They are not demons, so not killing them is not 100% a good thing that always should be done.

All of the reasons not to kill someone IRL do then apply, to wit: a) You won't necessarily solve anything by killing them, and may indeed make it worse, b) you do not provide the worst punishment possible for their crimes, rotting away in a jailcell/plantation for the rest part of their lives, mulling over what they did, and c) it reflects incredibly poorly on you that the solution you immediately jump to when confronted by someone who is a scumbag is "kill them".

In the fullness of time, if he manages to keep his powder dry Steele Jr. will become head of a major corporation. What do you think he might be able to do with all that power and influence, hmm? With his unique perspective of how things really are on the lawless boundaries of space. Guaranteed you'll be able to do more then than if you go around trying to shoot every meaniehead that enters your POV as soon as you land in Mos Eisley.

Sorry, agree to disagree there. "In the fullness of time" countless lives will have been wrecked by these people. It would be morally unsound to allow them to continue if you have the means to put their evil to the sword. Further, wealthy and influential Steele Jr. may be, but it's not like you'll be able to use the company's every resource to pursue vendettas. I think the company might have a problem with you if you decided to divert assets and revenue towards building up a corporate warship fleet to dismantle a slaving operation.

She is what a more savory version of Hard alignment should be like IMO. And in the conflict you witness/participate in, Kara and her boss aren't good or innocenet people, that's for sure.

True. However, Kara is a smuggler and thief. Chow (supposedly) is a non-violent criminal, into gambling, whoring, smuggling, and the like. That makes them far less evil than anyone associated with the Black Void. The only questions are: How will Shade react to her step-sister acting against the Black Void and Amara? How will Steele react to the discovery that her lover/step-sister has been working for the Black Void and is the lover of a dread lord? How far will the consequences of the conflict ripple? If you kill Amara, will Kaede hate you? If Kaede hates you, will Anno hate you? If Anno hates you, will Syri hate you? If Syri hates you, will Commander Valden hate you?

What if Zeke hates you? Will he find some way to take away Steele's hangar access on Tavros? What a mess.

A time limit at the current state of the game wouldn't work at all. Mostly due to the fact that since the devs don't regularily work on new main.plot content, which means the only new things you can do for long amounts of ingame time is dicking around exploring everywhere, talking to everyone, and undertaking tasks for every random schmuck you meet. Also there is the slight lore problem against it that currently your cousin may not even know any probe loacations after the one on Tarkus and he basically just follows you from then on. So you could probably be able to hang out on Tavros for 3 months between Tarkus ad Myrellion if you decide to do so.

I'm not suggesting one should be added. I was merely pointing out the reason why your Rival doesn't feel like a major character/antagonist. For the record, I think that would significantly detract from the game, as well.

The only way I think that the time-crunch idea could work is if there was still some other way you could complete the game. This would require 1) that there would be some way for the player to learn which planet to go to next without finding the probe, and 2) that even if the rival did make it to the last probe first and claim the deed to the company, you would have found some way to prove his misdeeds and wrench ownership of Steele Tech out of his greedy little fingers.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

Having started writing extensively for Steele Tech, I tend to write Victor as having ruled through charisma and some intellect rather than brute application of wealth.  In general it's one of the least corrupt megacorps out there, certainly one that on the whole does much more good than harm (though there are of course milodan that might disagree).

That said, if anything the standing orders ought to be to not go out and try to save you, for a very simple reason: that would cheapen your quest.  You've been given much more of a starting advantage than most people in the galaxy ever get, even the ones like Ceria or Aliss who can actually manage money and live a comfortable lifestyle without getting up to their ears in debt.  You're also supposed to inherently be a badass, someone who if they want to can in fact be Action Jesus.  If you pile on too much of the former, it calls the latter into question.  If the company gives you too much help that you haven't earned, it takes away from your accomplishments.

Once the faction system is implemented you'll see more of this, and how much pull you'll be able to get from your unofficial sponsor will be much greater if you've earned it.  Risking life and limb to save a deepsea facility that cost several billion credits to construct will get you quite a few brownie points, for instance.  Nurturing Steele Biomedical into a viable competitor in the gene-modding scene will get you even more; although it might also anger the current hegemon of that market, so make sure you're either deep in their good graces or ready to face the consequences if and when they stop playing nice.  Ultimately it may in fact end up being how much you've done to make people like you, rather than who got to the probes first, that determines whether you're recognized as Steele Tech's rightful heir.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
It´s after all more about the journey than the destination. By the end of the game I would love it if you had as much power and influence as Victor had before he started the company.

(I can also imagine that if the creators really pulled out that the company is bankrupt ending, all the choices and people you met on the road would contribute to you restoring the company or something like that.)

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I highly doubt the company's bankrupt, but the original draft docs postulated that the end would in fact be that getting the probes was entirely secondary to what you'd done and who you'd befriended along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.