Favourite Starting Race

VerySexyGrammar

Aug 27, 2015
There's a lot to be said for a language being consistent, though.

You might never have heard the word "hypothermia", but if you've heard its two components, you'll still have a semi-accurate idea of what it means, and a pretty damn accurate one with a tiny bit of context. We keep using these Greek words and it works because we use them consistently.

The term "Necromancy" does bother me a lot. Some idiot decided to use it for generic "evil wizard reanimates the dead" fantasy BS, and as a result, for most people that's what it means now, true. But someone who's never heard that interpretation is going to go with the interpretation that the word's components convey, which is divination via the dead. Objectively, the world would be a better place if we used words consistently instead of changing their meaning and pretending there are no negative consequences. That guy who first used "Necromancy" the wrong way? We should have slapped him with a rolled-up newspaper and told him "No! No! Bad writer!". We wouldn't be stuck with same words having different meanings if we just stuck to the original ones.

"Taur"? Someone who's never heard the word is going to guess it means "bull", so it's a highly unideal way to name creatures with a human's upper body where an animal's head should be. We should have found a proper word for them, but instead some idiot started saying "taur" and now we're going to be stuck with that objectively misleading word.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Yes, it is stupid we use it, that's the point of this line of discussion. But can you think of a better one without just creating one? It's like "gamergate" from "Watergate" (and all the horrible derivatives), the 'gate' part not being a suffix but half of the whole and should never have been done. However, we lopped off 'cen' and got 'taur' because, as stated already, besides minotaur it's very evocative of the message being conveyed.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Decades from now, we'll all be asking ourselves "Where were you when Taurgate happened?".

JesterHell

Aug 31, 2015
There's a lot to be said for a language being consistent, though.

You might never have heard the word "hypothermia", but if you've heard its two components, you'll still have a semi-accurate idea of what it means, and a pretty damn accurate one with a tiny bit of context. We keep using these Greek words and it works because we use them consistently.

The term "Necromancy" does bother me a lot. Some idiot decided to use it for generic "evil wizard reanimates the dead" fantasy BS, and as a result, for most people that's what it means now, true. But someone who's never heard that interpretation is going to go with the interpretation that the word's components convey, which is divination via the dead. Objectively, the world would be a better place if we used words consistently instead of changing their meaning and pretending there are no negative consequences. That guy who first used "Necromancy" the wrong way? We should have slapped him with a rolled-up newspaper and told him "No! No! Bad writer!". We wouldn't be stuck with same words having different meanings if we just stuck to the original ones.

"Taur"? Someone who's never heard the word is going to guess it means "bull", so it's a highly unideal way to name creatures with a human's upper body where an animal's head should be. We should have found a proper word for them, but instead some idiot started saying "taur" and now we're going to be stuck with that objectively misleading word.

I will freely admit that English was my 2nd most hated class with grammar, punctuation and sentence structure ect. so while I understand your point that if your going to try and build a language you should keep it internally consistent I just can't bring myself to actually care.

I think most people in modern society would think of necromancy in terms of what the pop-culture usage is and I vaguely remember someone saying that the pop-culture meaning was added to the dictionary making it a "Correct" usage.

As for someone who's never heard "Taur" thinking "bull" I disagree because that was not "My" first thought, way back when I first got into fantasy stuff my first thought was Taur meant something like "Half-Man" with Mino meaning bull and Cen meaning horse because both Minotaur and Centaur have it, I know that wrong now but the initial impression stuck which is why I told Kesil I like using it that way because its what I learned and I don't care enough to change,who knows with time this "new" meaning could make it into the dictionary as well making it correct.

so basically what Karretch said, its use is somewhat intuitive to people with knowledge of pop-culture while the "correct" meaning is relatively unknown by those same people.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I get the feeling your one of the language scholars he mentions in the third paragraph

:D

No, I don't have one of those language scholars (nor I am one!) :p Now, while I am all for polysemy, I am not so much for false cognates and the like. So I guess you'll understand that it's a bit jarring when I find someone that "doesn't care". Then again, just as the text you quoted says, laguage changes. Myself, I only hope I won't live enough to witness how language changed needlessly because "no one cared" and I can't understand anything because "television" now means "sunny morning"!

NEET-Hime

Aug 27, 2015
Human, because i cant start as an Ovir. Ether way ill be a chimera before my adventure is through.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
Decades from now, we'll all be asking ourselves "Where were you when Taurgate happened?".

is that different from Keltgate?

DjinnOfArc

Aug 29, 2015
I think I may have forgotten what that was. What exactly is the appeal of an Ovir?

Ovir are the race that have males looking like females, and females looking like males. If I had to guess, the appeal is sexy reptilian shemales.

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
I thought the females also looked female, just didn't have ovipositors and were duller colors?

DjinnOfArc

Aug 29, 2015
I thought the females also looked female, just didn't have ovipositors and were duller colors?

Just checked the codex, guess I was wrong, both have breats/look female (Males are bigger though.) and they are duller colored.

They do not have a ovipositor though.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Human, for dat blank slate! 

I miss the corruption mechanic in CoC, but you can still ruin your human in other ways.

Ovir for second fave, for those bright, distinct colors. Not a starting race though. :(  

Last edited by a moderator:

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
I will never miss the corruption mechanic as it pretty much just lead to me pestering Jojo to heal me constantly

NEET-Hime

Aug 27, 2015
Okay, I can see why you'd like that. I'll try it out sooner or later.

Aliss is one of my TiTs waifus

1 Aliss

2 Seifyn (I must have him someday, oh yes he will be mine)

3 Embry

4 Syri

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Hidden Content

Regarding ovir, Seifyn, and male nyrea as a whole, is it proper to call them by female pronouns as both Aliss and Seifyn mentions or male? Considering both use feminine that's what I've been using. Seems odd to use masculine.

Alexa

Aug 30, 2015
Regarding ovir, Seifyn, and male nyrea as a whole, is it proper to call them by female pronouns as both Aliss and Seifyn mentions or male? Considering both use feminine that's what I've been using. Seems odd to use masculine.

Same.

no thanks, they mostly seemed like twats

Then don't fuck 'em, because that's how you get corrupted most of the time! What had you running to Jojo so much?

NEET-Hime

Aug 27, 2015
Men can be waifu to, and yes they are men. If your uncomfortable saying it, that's on you.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
I find it uncomfortable not because they are males but because their culture (at least nyrean) doesn't distinguish and thus to use the wrong one would insulting, no?

JDeko

Aug 27, 2015
Kekistan
www.facebook.com
Driders, I really liked all the lipgloss related stuff in their win => vaginal sex scene since i have a massive fetish for kiss marks and hickies

Enigmatic D

Aug 27, 2015
Aliss is one of my TiTs waifus

Hidden Content

Three out of those four would definitely be my waifus. I actually want a TF based off one.

Quote said:
Driders, I really liked all the lipgloss related stuff in their win => vaginal sex scene since i have a massive fetish for kiss marks and hickies
Couldn't you just drink sheep milk to lower corruption? 

NEET-Hime

Aug 27, 2015
I find it uncomfortable not because they are males but because their culture (at least nyrean) doesn't distinguish and thus to use the wrong one would insulting, no?

True

As for the Nyrean; they do distinguish, quite heavily in fact. They are a misandrnistic culture, to be a male is to be a lesser person.