Becoming Kitsune & Tail Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheepyCloud

Apr 3, 2020
I don't know what my browser version is, haven't updated it in a while either (Using Firefox, and it updates almost daily) nor do i know where to check for it.

Not sure this is a bug that shows up in Dev Console. (I did check, but i have no idea what I'm looking for)

SheepyCloud

Apr 3, 2020
Desktop_Capture-05-22-2020_9-03-01-221.jpg
Desktop_Capture-05-22-2020_9-03-10-369.jpg
Desktop_Capture-05-22-2020_9-20-46-360.jpg

(Forced to use Image URL smh)

Malidica

Mar 18, 2020
No, no there is no eldritch god, that number is beyond human comprehension, that's not a planet of tails, that's a whole universe stuffed full of tails, so much so the entire thing has collapsed into a blackhole, so very many many times over.

It is such an unfathomably huge number, you could never hope to count it, you couldn't count it if every living human all started counting different sections at once, everyone would be dead before even a blip of it had been counted. It's just that massive.

I'm not even sure what the exact number is, '9e + 305', what's that in the code @Upcast Drake ?

Aury

Dec 22, 2019
I'm not even sure what the exact number is, '9e + 305’.
Well, punching it into my calculator gave me an overflow error, so clearly it’s an amount beyond the scope of a TI-30XS’ comprehension.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
No, no there is no eldritch god, that number is beyond human comprehension, that's not a planet of tails, that's a whole universe stuffed full of tails, so much so the entire thing has collapsed into a blackhole, so very many many times over.

It is such an unfathomably huge number, you could never hope to count it, you couldn't count it if every living human all started counting different sections at once, everyone would be dead before even a blip of it had been counted. It's just that massive.

I'm not even sure what the exact number is, '9e + 305', what's that in the code @Upcast Drake ?
9 * 10^305

Malidica

Mar 18, 2020
So obviously this is all in completely broken error, but why do you think the code spits the written answer out in an even more broken way than it already is? This shit is so funny i just want to see the behind the scenes of it.

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
So obviously this is all in completely broken error, but why do you think the code spits the written answer out in an even more broken way than it already is? This shit is so funny i just want to see the behind the scenes of it.
The code for integers to text only handles up to millions, if there's number past that it just treats it as multiples of millions. Hence "million million million" etc.

Malidica

Mar 18, 2020
So the number is, if written out, not just 9 x 10^305 but a series of integers from 0 to 9, of a length 10^305? And it tries to count each one out as something-something-something-million? Spilling over and restarting for the next 'millions'?

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
So the number is, if written out, not just 9 x 10^305 but a series of integers from 0 to 9, of a length 10^305? And it tries to count each one out as something-something-something-million? Spilling over and restarting for the next 'millions'?
The code treats it as an integer, but it's a floating point number. Floating point number are inherently imprecise. As part of the algorithm, it does subtraction and multiplication. Doing subtraction and multiplication on extremely large floating point number will cause the results to be heavily rounded to the closest possible floating point approximation.

Malidica

Mar 18, 2020
So, ok well if it's all one big printed answer to a calculation that's one thing but from the way it reads it's like its calculating the answer in chunks, like four hundred and seventy six million, eight thousand four hundred million million, etc.

Which of the two is it?

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
So, ok well if it's all one big printed answer to a calculation that's one thing but from the way it reads it's like its calculating the answer in chunks, like four hundred and seventy six million, eight thousand four hundred million million, etc.

Which of the two is it?
It's a recursive function that iterates based on millions.

SheepyCloud

Apr 3, 2020
Logic and reason?

No, I edit out my Class & Background, just to make the game a little more difficult. Without additional starting stats, combat is just a bit harder than with them.
I like the challenge, that's why i edit those two things out. On a sidenote it's also fun seeing myself as a "vagrant".

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
By removing core parts of the game, one should expect some sort of fuckery to occur. Ergo, this is not a bug due to the game being tampered with. A champion with no class is not possible within normal functions of the game.

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
Just because I have to know, you did read the warning the save editor makes you acknowledge before editing, right? The one that says 'Yo, messing with your saves can totally mess up the game'. And the warning when trying to load that same save in the game that hey, it knows you've tampered with things and it might make your game behave oddly. You read those?
No, I edit out my Class & Background, just to make the game a little more difficult. Without additional starting stats, combat is just a bit harder than with them.
I like the challenge, that's why i edit those two things out. On a sidenote it's also fun seeing myself as a "vagrant".
I have no involvement at all with coding generally or how CoC2 is done specifically and I'm sure the devs can give you a much more detailed explanation for why your attempt to mess with the code has fucked things up so beautifully, but here's some layman's thoughts on your problem:

- Class and Background are fundamental to the Champion, being part of the game from character creation. The game will repeatedly check for these things in dialogue and in challenges and it expects to find one of several preset values in there. By editing those out, you're pretty much guaranteeing that the game divides by zero sooner or later. Think of save editing as throwing a spanner into the moving gears that represent the game's code. You're praying that it doesn't get caught in the gears and cause something to break and the more you change or the bigger a thing you change, the bigger the metaphorical spanner is that you're chucking.

- Your tail count is calculated based on your Champion's level minus one (with a minimum of two tails). Exactly how that formula looks in the code, I don't think anyone has shared but the fact that it's based on your level should tell you something: Any buggering around with things touching on your level have a chance to affect that calculation. Hell, any buggering around anywhere might affect it but doing things that specifically fuck with calculations related to levels are way more likely to break something.

- If you really want a challenge build as if you have no Class or Background in a leveling sense, it's far easier to manually lower your starting stats and then manually lower them again when you level up so they stay at whatever point you deem appropriate, don't equip Powers you don't want to and just live with the fact that you've got Perks. That's way less likely to break something.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I'm no coder at all, but you literally tossed out THE two fundamental things to the PC character's coding and DIDN'T expect that to fuck with your game somehow? (Seeing as you likely didn't read the warning that comes with a tampered save or just ignored it)
That "challenge" as you put it isn't worth it in the slightest if it ends up breaking stuff.

If you want a challenge redistribute your stats to a trainer or something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.