Custom busts HOWTO/FAQ

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Custom busts are a feature that allows players to change the busts displayed in the upper left corner without compiling the game/using a resource editor. You can think of it as adding an additional artist to the game whose busts are always used when a matching bust is found (ie has been added by the player).

How do I use it?

Download the game's swf file (eg TiTS_x.y.z.swf - You need v0.7.82 or newer)
Copy the file into a folder on your computer (eg tits_folder)
Create another folder inside the tits_folder that is named custom_busts - this folder will contain all the busts you want to replace
Copy the replacement image into the custom_busts folder - they should match the existing busts (png format, 150px tall, transparent background) and need to be named the same as the internal bust reference. The bust selector dialog will show the name of the current bust if you press the "Bust Name" button.

Ex_flahne.gif

To replace the the Flahne bust shown in the above picture the file in the custom_busts folder needs to be named Bust_FLAHNE.png

After adding/removing busts reload the game/swf file as the existence of replacement busts is cached.

Now the game should replace the bust with the custom image - a message indicating that the replacement is active will be shown in the bust selector dialog.

Ex_syri.gif

Example:
To get the old Syri bust back download the old bust from here:
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public/a46648516cae99e8509c524839c78db72a2f3d71/assets/images/npcs/cheshire/Syri.png
Syri.png
(use "save image as" in case the forum butchers the url again)
rename the file to Bust_SYRI.png and put it into the custom_busts folder
To additionally replace the naked Syri bust copy the file and name the second copy Bust_SYRI_NUDE.png

so you end up with three files organized like this

Code:
tits_folder\TiTS_x.y.z.swf
tits_folder\custom_busts\Bust_SYRI.png
tits_folder\custom_busts\Bust_SYRI_NUDE.png

How do I NOT use it?

Don't add a custom_busts folder next to the swf file and the bust display should behave as it used to - if it doesn't please report the bug.
To temporarily disable all replacement busts rename the custom_busts folder, to temporarily disable a single replacement rename the file or move it to a different location. Don't forget to reload the swf file.

Flash displays a security error - What's wrong?

The latest versions of the flash player plugins don't allow access to local files anymore - the requested security model/sandbox is silently replaced by the flash plugin. To play the game you need to download the stand alone player from adobe.
DrunkZombie posted a possible alternative solution for the browser plugin below that might work for you as well. (But be aware that flash technology is on its way out of browsers so any future browser update might break things again.)

I still can't get it to work...

I have created a stripped down version of tits with additional error reporting.
Download the file here - unzip, load the flash file and press the syri button
(NB this should link to a 10.2MB zip file MD5: 8acf78cdf3f509b31fbc6d67fbce3838 - please verify the checksum before running any downloaded file as i can not guarantee that this download link still points to the right file on the host.)
(NB2 the hoster currently reports a wrong file size - why do all these services suck...)

An update was released - what now?

Simply copy the new swf file into the tits_folder and you should be good to go.
The existing bust names will rarely change so everything should be set up correctly.
If you want to change a newly added bust just get the bust name from the dialog and add the image file as usual.

Limitations:
Only busts in the upper left corner (the location header) are replaced.
You can only change/replace busts - not add currently missing ones.
There is a small delay/flicker when a custom bust is loaded - when the game 'shows' a bust the loading process is started in the background and the image is switched on once the loading is complete.

Thanks to jacques for adding the nifty 'spoiler' button and providing the animated screenshots.

Last edited:

DrunkZombie

Apr 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
This is great for loading a bust for what your Bess looks like.

Fyi, if you get a security error, you just need to add a cfg to the flash players security folder. Well for Windows anyway.

1) This will change the save location so do a "save file" for you latest save or the save you want to use.

2)find the flash player security folder, for example "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust"

3) Create a new text file at that location using Notepad , Notepad ++ or something similar.

4)in the file type the path to where the tits swf is, for example "c:\Users\[username]\Desktop\games\tits"
(you don't need to include the file name itself)

5) save the file, naming it whatever you want. I called mine "tits"

6) right click the file and rename it to change the file extension to ".cfg" so "tits.cfg" in my case. Make sure you are displaying file extensions or it will not work.

Custom bust should now load for any swf file located in the path in the cfg

Run the game and load the same save file from earlier. You can now use the standard save functionality going forward.

Last edited:

Belly97

May 13, 2016
Reactions: ScarlettArcherX

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Are you able to re-upload the old Syri bust as the link no longer works?

Fixed the link - looks like the forum software does not only shorten the link text but also the url it points to :rolleyes:

and thanks for the tip DrunkZombie - I added a note to the OP.

Reactions: Belly97

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Please be aware that replacement busts have to be 150px tall

If you just want a higher quality picture for other purposes here is the hires version from github

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public/7a65928c02ee8f4f0b3af2fe65e4fedc28ab3c0b/assets/images/npcs/cheshire/_source/Syri.png

Reactions: Belly97

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
I got [SecurityError Error #2148 loading custom bust] when I tried to load the old Syri bust and a PC bust. The folder and files are named correctly, they're sized right, transparent etc.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
The security error means that the game isn't allowed to access the files.

Assuming you play via browser plugin you can try DrunkZombie's suggestion but I really recommend using a standalone player - keeping the game working in browsers will become increasingly difficult in the future and there is little game devs can do about it.

Reactions: IATIHIA2

Belly97

May 13, 2016
Please be aware that replacement busts have to be 150px tall

If you just want a higher quality picture for other purposes here is the hires version from github

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public/7a65928c02ee8f4f0b3af2fe65e4fedc28ab3c0b/assets/images/npcs/cheshire/_source/Syri.png
Is there a naked old Syri bust as well or is it the same?

Belly97

May 13, 2016
As far as I know, there is not a nude variant of the old Cheshire Syri bust. There is a panties-themed drawing of Syri by the same artist, but not really a bust. Eventually the artist redrew the bust with both a clothed and nude variant to what is currently in game now.
Yeah thought as much. Thanks anyway.
I'm having problems finding a suitable bust for my PC, so does anyone want to share their character description and the image they chose for inspiration/ideas.

Kil

Oct 18, 2018
Yeah thought as much. Thanks anyway.
I'm having problems finding a suitable bust for my PC, so does anyone want to share their character description and the image they chose for inspiration/ideas.
Actually, I feel that it would be a good idea to start a section of the forum dedicated to the sharing of custom busts. I'm new, so I don't know how this would work, but it would be of great help to those in the community who want to contribute to TiTS, but don't know how or are uncertain if they are "good enough." It would also provide people who are less artistically talented a means of acquiring busts for custom characters, like Ben/Bess and the PC. Because the busts are made specifically for use in TiTS, they would also be the perfect format. It's just something to mull over.

Belly97

May 13, 2016
Actually, I feel that it would be a good idea to start a section of the forum dedicated to the sharing of custom busts. I'm new, so I don't know how this would work, but it would be of great help to those in the community who want to contribute to TiTS, but don't know how or are uncertain if they are "good enough." It would also provide people who are less artistically talented a means of acquiring busts for custom characters, like Ben/Bess and the PC. Because the busts are made specifically for use in TiTS, they would also be the perfect format. It's just something to mull over.
Agreed. If someone wants to start a thread for this and link it here that would be awesome.

jonahbomb

Oct 27, 2018
I need help. I've done the steps (tits_folder\TiTS_x.y.z.swf, tits_folder\custom_busts), my custom busts are PNG files, and I'm using the latest public version, but my custom busts but still aren't working. I'm using shockwave flash. Is that the problem?

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Is there no error message at all? The only thing I can think of is that the naming of the busts is off (ie the game thinks there is no appropriate replacement and continues happily...)

Please double check that the name exactly matches the one shown in the bust selection dialog (if your system is case sensitive eg Linux/Mac the case has to match) - the following name should work
tits_folder\custom_busts\Bust_SYRI.png
for linux it would be tits_folder/custom_busts/Bust_SYRI.png of course

If that's not the reason I'm a bit stumped what could be the cause of it... Please provide OS info and the exact player version.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
The only other thing I could think of (if the files are all set up correctly) is that you did not reload the flash file after adding the busts (existence of replacements is cached for the session to reduce visual artefacts) - other than that either the custom bust or an error should appear...

You could try the attached file - its a stripped down version of TiTS with additional diagnostics reporting
unzip, load the flash file and press the syri button

please attach a screen shot of the result to your reply

-

Ok attaching this file doesn't work for some reason - the upload just seems to time out
I have looked for a hoster and this site seems to work

EDIT removed expired/overwritten download - see first post for new link

Last edited:

adev

Apr 27, 2017
Hmm that security error should have shown up in the regular game too.

You are using the browser plugin - access to local files is not allowed by the plugin. As mentioned in the FAQ you can either use the stand alone flash player or try the solution DrunkZombie posted above.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
What would be the use case?
I thought about adding an option that specifies a suffix to the player bust so people can have different player busts for different Steeles but multiple busts for all chars - how is that supposed to work?

Mar 25, 2019
Southeast US
Does this include the PC bust? I’ve yet to fugure out how to change it.

adev

Apr 27, 2017
It should (and it does) work for the PC bust like any other bust.

Click on the gears icon when the PC bust is displayed (eg in the appearance screen)
Click on "Bust Name" to reveal the internal name of the bust (eg Bust_PC)
Store a replacement bust image (eg Bust_PC.png) in the "custom_busts" folder
Reload the game for the change to take effect.

The replacement routine is implemented at a level where there is no separation between PC/NPC/planet images anymore.

bambi_f20

Feb 26, 2016
I simply can't get this to work. I created a custom_busts folder in the same folder that my tits 8.045 swf file is located. I created a 150x150 png file. I saved it as Bust_PC.png. Nothing shows up. It doesn't override the Bust PC (the only thing showing there is a blank one by Jacques00 and I don't get any kind of a message.

What could I be doing wrong?

adev

Apr 27, 2017
I tested this with the 044 version and it works for me
pcbust.jpg
Can you replace other busts with that install (ie is this really pc bust specific)?
Can you see your custom bust if used for other busts (ie is the file eg transparency messed up)
Did you double check file name case (inclusive folder name and file extension)
Does it work with the attached PC bust file (syri)
Did you reload the game after adding the bust file - the game caches the existence of replacement bust files.

You can also try the custom bust test program I have re-uploaded - link in first post. It should have the non nude pc bust working out of the box

Attachments

• Bust_PC.png
    Bust_PC.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: MdReaper

4rm4ld0

Dec 2, 2019
Can you replace other busts with that install (ie is this really pc bust specific)?
Can you see your custom bust if used for other busts (ie is the file eg transparency messed up)
Did you double check file name case (inclusive folder name and file extension)
Does it work with the attached PC bust file (syri)
Did you reload the game after adding the bust file - the game caches the existence of replacement bust files.
I'm running into the same problem. With me is only the PC who doesn't work. I'm using version 0.8.148

Attachments

• Captura de tela_2021-08-03_06-12-34.png
    Captura de tela_2021-08-03_06-12-34.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Captura de tela_2021-08-03_06-13-02.png
    Captura de tela_2021-08-03_06-13-02.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 15