Custom busts HOWTO/FAQ

Discussion in 'Trials in Tainted Space' started by adev, Aug 16, 2017.

1. adev

adev Well-Known Member

Custom busts are a feature that allows players to change the busts displayed in the upper left corner without compiling the game/using a resource editor. You can think of it as adding an additional artist to the game whose busts are always used when a matching bust is found (ie has been added by the player).

How do I use it?

Download the game's swf file (eg TiTS_x.y.z.swf - You need v0.7.82 or newer)
    Copy the file into a folder on your computer (eg tits_folder)
    Create another folder inside the tits_folder that is named custom_busts - this folder will contain all the busts you want to replace
    Copy the replacement image into the custom_busts folder - they should match the existing busts (png format, 150px tall, transparent background) and need to be named the same as the internal bust reference. The bust selector dialog will show the name of the current bust if you press the "Bust Name" button.

[​IMG]

To replace the the Flahne bust shown in the above picture the file in the custom_busts folder needs to be named Bust_FLAHNE.png

After adding/removing busts reload the game/swf file as the existence of replacement busts is cached.

Now the game should replace the bust with the custom image - a message indicating that the replacement is active will be shown in the bust selector dialog.

[​IMG]

Example:
    To get the old Syri bust back download the old bust from here:
    Code:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public/a46648516cae99e8509c524839c78db72a2f3d71/assets/images/npcs/cheshire/Syri.png
    [​IMG] (use "save image as" in case the forum butchers the url again)
    rename the file to Bust_SYRI.png and put it into the custom_busts folder
    To additionally replace the naked Syri bust copy the file and name the second copy Bust_SYRI_NUDE.png

so you end up with three files organized like this

Code:
    tits_folder\TiTS_x.y.z.swf
    tits_folder\custom_busts\Bust_SYRI.png
    tits_folder\custom_busts\Bust_SYRI_NUDE.png

How do I NOT use it?

Don't add a custom_busts folder next to the swf file and the bust display should behave as it used to - if it doesn't please report the bug.
    To temporarily disable all replacement busts rename the custom_busts folder, to temporarily disable a single replacement rename the file or move it to a different location. Don't forget to reload the swf file.

Flash displays a security error - What's wrong?

The latest versions of the flash player plugins don't allow access to local files anymore - the requested security model/sandbox is silently replaced by the flash plugin. To play the game you need to download the stand alone player from adobe.
    DrunkZombie posted a possible alternative solution for the browser plugin below that might work for you as well. (But be aware that flash technology is on its way out of browsers so any future browser update might break things again.)

An update was released - what now?

Simply copy the new swf file into the tits_folder and you should be good to go.
    The existing bust names will rarely change so everything should be set up correctly.
    If you want to change a newly added bust just get the bust name from the dialog and add the image file as usual.

Limitations:
    Only busts in the upper left corner (the location header) are replaced.
    You can only change/replace busts - not add currently missing ones.
    There is a small delay/flicker when a custom bust is loaded - when the game 'shows' a bust the loading process is started in the background and the image is switched on once the loading is complete.

Thanks to jacques for adding the nifty 'spoiler' button and providing the animated screenshots.

#1 adev, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Kil, IATIHIA2, DrunkZombie and 6 others like this.
  2. Holographic_Information

Holographic_Information Active Member

I love cheshire and old gats style

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrunkZombie

DrunkZombie Well-Known Member

This is great for loading a bust for what your Bess looks like.

Fyi, if you get a security error, you just need to add a cfg to the flash players security folder. Well for Windows anyway.

1) This will change the save location so do a "save file" for you latest save or the save you want to use.

2)find the flash player security folder, for example "c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#Security\FlashPlayerTrust"

3) Create a new text file at that location using Notepad , Notepad ++ or something similar.

4)in the file type the path to where the tits swf is, for example "c:\Users\[username]\Desktop\games\tits"
    (you don't need to include the file name itself)

5) save the file, naming it whatever you want. I called mine "tits"

6) right click the file and rename it to change the file extension to ".cfg" so "tits.cfg" in my case. Make sure you are displaying file extensions or it will not work.

Custom bust should now load for any swf file located in the path in the cfg

Run the game and load the same save file from earlier. You can now use the standard save functionality going forward.

#3 DrunkZombie, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  4. Belly97

Belly97 Well-Known Member

Are you able to re-upload the old Syri bust as the link no longer works?

5. adev

adev Well-Known Member

Fixed the link - looks like the forum software does not only shorten the link text but also the url it points to :rolleyes:

and thanks for the tip DrunkZombie - I added a note to the OP.

Belly97 likes this.
  6. Belly97

7. adev

adev Well-Known Member

Please be aware that replacement busts have to be 150px tall

If you just want a higher quality picture for other purposes here is the hires version from github

Code:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OXOIndustries/TiTS-Public/7a65928c02ee8f4f0b3af2fe65e4fedc28ab3c0b/assets/images/npcs/cheshire/_source/Syri.png

Belly97 likes this.
  8. Stemwinder

Stemwinder Active Member

I got [SecurityError Error #2148 loading custom bust] when I tried to load the old Syri bust and a PC bust. The folder and files are named correctly, they're sized right, transparent etc.

9. adev

adev Well-Known Member

The security error means that the game isn't allowed to access the files.

Assuming you play via browser plugin you can try DrunkZombie's suggestion but I really recommend using a standalone player - keeping the game working in browsers will become increasingly difficult in the future and there is little game devs can do about it.

IATIHIA2 likes this.
  10. IATIHIA2

IATIHIA2 Well-Known Member

Stupid Chrome...

11. Belly97

Is there a naked old Syri bust as well or is it the same?

12. Jacques00

Jacques00 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, there is not a nude variant of the old Cheshire Syri bust. There is a panties-themed drawing of Syri by the same artist, but not really a bust. Eventually the artist redrew the bust with both a clothed and nude variant to what is currently in game now.

Belly97 likes this.
  13. Belly97

Yeah thought as much. Thanks anyway.
    I'm having problems finding a suitable bust for my PC, so does anyone want to share their character description and the image they chose for inspiration/ideas.

14. Kil

Kil New Member

Actually, I feel that it would be a good idea to start a section of the forum dedicated to the sharing of custom busts. I'm new, so I don't know how this would work, but it would be of great help to those in the community who want to contribute to TiTS, but don't know how or are uncertain if they are "good enough." It would also provide people who are less artistically talented a means of acquiring busts for custom characters, like Ben/Bess and the PC. Because the busts are made specifically for use in TiTS, they would also be the perfect format. It's just something to mull over.

ChromaTaphore and Belly97 like this.
  15. Belly97

Agreed. If someone wants to start a thread for this and link it here that would be awesome.

Kil likes this.