I think negative evasion should be handled differently.

asidsaoi

Jun 13, 2017
Fen has been trying to keep the PC's appearance from having significant effects on combat so people aren't forced to look a certain way in order to not be shit at combat.
wait mate
Since people like to play with their 300 kg aviar or a rickety female minotaur but what about the idea of creating a button in the menu as "silly mode" to be optional could be called "combat mode"

Reactions: criticAlls

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
Fen has been trying to keep the PC's appearance from having significant effects on combat so people aren't forced to look a certain way in order to not be shit at combat.

And yet he's doing just that by making us take more damage. Armor/gear in general is a big part of the PC's appearance. There's a reason that games which offer any customization in gear often get the name "fashion" in them. EG, Fashion Souls for Dark Souls or Fashion Wars for Guild Wars. There's even the concept of "fashion being the end game in games." Having the body you want is nice, but if you're forced to wear a bikini just so you aren't actively making combat worse for you then that's a big issue in terms of aesthetics and appearance.

Armor/clothing and weaponry is a big part of the whole appearance thing. Compared to stats it doesn't make as much of an impact in combat so people have been generally comfortable enough using the weapons and armor they want for their general look/theme over the absolute best gear, however it has mattered enough that with this new change people are going to be much more heavily dissuaded from using any heavy gear they may actually want to use and instead are going to lean more heavily towards the bikinis and skin-tight suits even though they want to be the big-bad heavily armored behemoth.

Reactions: Kesil

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
So now we're asking for a combat mode when easy mode exists?

Makes sense, doesn't it? On one hand we have a mode where combat is hardly a small road bump, on the other hand we have a mode where combat is made a more substantial mechanic, and then we have normal mode which is where combat is right now.

It may seem silly, but it's pretty much the standard RPG difficulty selector, we already have "Easy" and "Normal/Medium," I guess some people want a "hard," with more complex mechanics, too.

Kinda like how the hard mode in Fallout:NV adds a whole "survival" aspect to the game with ammo weight, a need for food and water, etc. It's added mechanics that make the game just that little bit more interesting to certain people. In this case the weight, muscle mass, height, etc of your character would influence the sort of archtype they get to be. Are they a lean and wiry character that's quick as lightning? A big unstoppable brute? A physically average/normal sort but with the intuition and intelligence to counter and avoid things?

It could be really neat.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Did I miss something? What armor is currently under effect of this evasion penalty?

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
Did I miss something? What armor is currently under effect of this evasion penalty?

Anything with -evasion on it, from what I've gathered. And it's not just armor, it's also weapons. Literally any item that gives negative evasion increases the amount of damage you take by 3% per -evasion point which essentially negates the whole point of heavy armor in the first place.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Anything with -evasion on it, from what I've gathered. And it's not just armor, it's also weapons. Literally any item that gives negative evasion increases the amount of damage you take by 3% per -evasion point which essentially negates the whole point of heavy armor in the first place.
Is that it? Just keep your evasion chance up. This is second thread where I'm stating it but what the hell. As long as your Evasion chance isn't in the negatives you'll be fine. Max out reflexes, equip something that adds evasion for your non-main weapon.

Evasion
Percent chance to successfully run from a battle encounter and dodge targeted attacks. Evasion on items adds to the evasion bonus score, 1 evasion equals additional 1% evasion chance. The evasion value range is between 1% and 90%. Also, for every overall point of negative evasion, HP damage taken is increased by 3%

Maybe when they actually add in real heavy armor with real evasion penalties this might be something to worry about.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Is that it? Just keep your evasion chance up. This is second thread where I'm stating it but what the hell. As long as your Evasion chance isn't in the negatives you'll be fine. Max out reflexes, equip something that adds evasion for your non-main weapon.

Maybe when they actually add in real heavy armor with real evasion penalties this might be something to worry about.
A bad mechanic should be fixed, reworked, or ripped out entirely. Not ignored.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
A bad mechanic should be fixed, reworked, or ripped out entirely. Not ignored.

Yes, yes, for the sake of everyone and their imaginary heavy armor that doesn't exist yet.

Why don't you all just download TiTsed and get it over with?

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
Yes, yes, for the sake of everyone and their imaginary heavy armor that doesn't exist yet.

Oh, wow! I didn't realize I was hired on as a developer to fix things on a player-by-player basis! Things that so many people agree are bad and buggy but the main Dev has pushed through because it pleases his bizarre whims.

Oh wait, I wasn't hired on as such, I'm just a player.. saying how bad a mechanic is (because it is bad) and wanting it to go away. There was absolutely no reason to do a change like this other than "Huh, I'm bored just putting in nothing but submitted content. Let's mess around with game mechanics!" I shouldn't have to fix it for myself or ignore it by not using the gear I want to use. Neither of those are acceptable options to this issue.

The real question here is.. why are you so against removing something that was randomly added which doesn't benefit anyone in any way for a reason that is being kept secret at best and was just spur-of-the-moment at worst?

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015

The mechanic doesn't give a flying fuck about anything but your evasion score. A buckass naked Steele carrying a -evasion weapon will inexplicably take more damage than a completely unarmed steele who will be less evasive than an armed steele with a +evasion weapon. Future heavy armor is just going to make the problem worse. We don't need yet another game to fuck up heavy armor being a viable playstyle.

Reactions: criticAlls

BasedBuckNasty

Nov 5, 2017
I mean it is the future in space. Movement assisted armor and ultra light alloys and all that. You could go all X-Com 2 and add a heavy weapons slot (along with accessory) to powered armor/heavy armor. Like the shred cannon or a flame thrower or something. I would not play Tits or have told my pervy friends about Tits if it was a smut only game with no combat.
I honestly am undecided on something that hasn't been fully implemented yet or even affected me, but I don't get the point of trying to nerf a class in a noncompetitive game if that is the reasoning, like I like Techie so all other classes so should be nerfed. Seriously are you like three? How are you even playing this game?
Obviously as more things are added there will be power creep and what not. To me it just seems like we stayed on Uveto for far too long insert change is scary Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Also, muh realism!
q1fmwga1sw1x.gif

Last edited:

Azrael9986

Jun 13, 2018
I could be wrong but it looks like he changed it back?

0.7.183 Changelog:

• A significant amount of rooms have been added to Zheng Shi’s mines. Roughly 2/3 of the mines are in at this point.
  • Lund can now be broken, courtesy of Wsan and Gedan’s coding.
  • Two new scenes for the Bored Jumper have been added. (By QuestyRobo)
  • The Bored Jumper is now resistance to burning and freezing damage.
  • The Jumper has an additional 30% evade chance versus ranged attacks.
  • Negative evasion now also reduces base dodge chances.
  • Fixes for a bug with Anno in the gym.

BasedBuckNasty

Nov 5, 2017
I could be wrong but it looks like he changed it back?

0.7.183 Changelog:

• A significant amount of rooms have been added to Zheng Shi’s mines. Roughly 2/3 of the mines are in at this point.
  • Lund can now be broken, courtesy of Wsan and Gedan’s coding.
  • Two new scenes for the Bored Jumper have been added. (By QuestyRobo)
  • The Bored Jumper is now resistance to burning and freezing damage.
  • The Jumper has an additional 30% evade chance versus ranged attacks.
  • Negative evasion now also reduces base dodge chances.
  • Fixes for a bug with Anno in the gym.

To be fair I am still trying to figure out how you can even get negative evasion without trying. Can you even make a viable melee/ranged build? Why would you even have Petra's Whip or the Lash Cannon equipped together? Who even cares if you do. It even makes sense following the lore. The Rush is dangerous, you see heavily kitted Rushers all the time. I mean, The Saurmorian hammer has a stun chance, but so does headbutt. The evasion mechanic changes make very little sense on the surface to me. So I am just going to assume it is for future content.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
The real question here is.. why are you so against removing something that was randomly added which doesn't benefit anyone in any way for a reason that is being kept secret at best and was just spur-of-the-moment at worst?

Why do you care about a mechanic that makes the game slightly more difficult for a certain type of character when you can turn on EZ-mode?

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
Why do you care about a mechanic that makes the game slightly more difficult for a certain type of character when you can turn on EZ-mode?

Because being able to easily incur a penalty of 30% additional damage taken is "slightly" when you're already not evading.

And that's kinda the whole thing, we don't *want* to play EZ mode, we just want a game that's balanced.

It was balanced before, lighter gear meant you can't take as many hits but you're also much less likely to even be hit. Heavier gear meant you take more hits but you don't avoid many, if any.

Now Heavier just means you both take more hits AND those hits hit you harder. Because.. ya know.. Arbitrary reasons.

I mean negative evasion should reduce a chance to dodge, but it shouldn't make you get hit harder, that's just poorly thought out.

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
I hate to tell you this, but Fen added that on top of the negative Evasion score penalty.

I gathered. I'm just saying that that makes sense where as "Oh, yeah, you also arbitrarily get hit harder" doesn't.

That's the whole point of heavy gear. You don't dodge as much. THAT makes sense. You're expected to take more hits with -evade gear. You're NOT expected to also have armor that may as well be made of single-ply tissue paper.

Seriously, in what other game does having heavier arms and armor make the damage you take hurt more? How would that EVER make sense?

Maybe if you're wearing nothing but a couple of leather straps and have the biggest hugest weapon ever, sure, but that'd be an instance of having unprotective armor, not an instance of what this is, heavy armor that's supposed to be protective instead making you directly take increasing amounts of damage as opposed to less damage, as such armor would, logically, make you take.

Of course, there's also the fact that just holding a heavy weapon ALSO makes you, magically, get hit harder, as well.. I can't, in any way, think of how that'd even work unless it was a magical weapon that was cursed to make you get hit harder.. which is not the case here.

Reactions: Baggrin

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I guess I'm just a masochist but I'm looking forward at how this small change is going to make us look at our current and future gear.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I guess I'm just a masochist but I'm looking forward at how this small change is going to make us look at our current and future gear.
There's nothing to look forward too as you don't need a crystal ball and space-elf space-magic to see where this'll lead. Evasion penalties will be avoided like the plague because there's not a chance in space-hell that those who prefer to run a heavy loadout will get enough evasion out of their statstick gun/melee to offset their heavy armor and primary melee/gun without sacrificing their accessory slot.

Also the fact that the perk system basically makes each character have a primary style with the other being a statstick slot that occasionally gets used because of gimmicks in fights is also a problem.

criticAlls

May 4, 2018

I imagine it's just going to be like the calamity ring from dark souls and dark souls 3, something that people like put on just for the purpose of taking more damage with the more -evasion being the higher your "git gud" level.

Admittedly if that's the way it goes it sounds pretty amusing.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Argue all you like, as I said you're not really wrong, but please try not to sound so angry; screaming only makes people stop listening, the devs won't even try to see the point.

Slightly related to the topic at hand, why do a whip and a pistol thingy weigh more than a big ass hammer or a big ass railgun?

Also, I fuggin love Dark Souls.

Reactions: ShySquare and Evil

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
Also the fact that the perk system basically makes each character have a primary style with the other being a statstick slot that occasionally gets used because of gimmicks in fights is also a problem.

Reminds me of how every class in WoW used to have a secondary weapon, for most it was a ranged weapon, but for someone like the Hunter it was their melee that was the stat stick.

I dunno, I feel like there's something inherently wrong with a game's design if your character requires two weapons worth of stats but only uses one of said weapons to actually attack under 90% of circumstances.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
I dunno, I feel like there's something inherently wrong with a game's design if your character requires two weapons worth of stats but only uses one of said weapons to actually attack under 90% of circumstances.
It does make sense to carry both a melee and ranged weapon, most games outside fantasy setting have you do so even if it's a default knife and 80k guns.

BasedBuckNasty

Nov 5, 2017

Lol. I forget about the ranged merc perks.

Level 4
Riposte Grants increased evasion after any melee attack made for the remainder of the combat round.
or
Take Cover Grants the ability to avoid nearly all incoming ranged attacks for 3 combat rounds.
(tbh, I took Riposte as I fancy myself a duelist, but Take Cover works also, even for a melee build just, what? Do I run out of cover to attack and then scamper back? lol)

+50% damage penalty from negative evasion, still evades ranged attacks. I FUCKIN DON'T WANT TO PRESS BUTTONS MAN! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!

Melee Techie

Charge Weapon Grants the ability to charge your melee weapon with electricity for even deadlier strikes!

Shield Booster Grants a further increase to your shield generator, providing an additional eight points of protection per level.

Charge Shield Allows you to infuse your shield with a destructive electrical charge that can blind your foes when struck or damage melee attackers. Costs 15 energy and expires after being triggered twice.

Boosted Charges Enhances your gravidic and thermal charges' damage, and also provides secondary effects. Gravidic charge leaves a lingering field that reduces all kinetic damage dealt for three rounds. Thermal charge has a chance of lighting your foes on fire.
or
Linked Emitters Grants 5% critical hit chance with energy weapons while your shields are up.

criticAlls

May 4, 2018
It does make sense to carry both a melee and ranged weapon, most games outside fantasy setting have you do so even if it's a default knife and 80k guns.

Oh, no doubt. It makes sense to carry them both if you're going to use both. However, like I said. If you're carrying both but only ever use one of the weapons under all but the most niche of circumstances but you still need both for the stats then that's a design flaw.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Oh, no doubt. It makes sense to carry them both if you're going to use both. However, like I said. If you're carrying both but only ever use one of the weapons under all but the most niche of circumstances but you still need both for the stats then that's a design flaw.
You don't really need it for stats, but most people use the secondary specifically for stats.

My ranged is the Shock Bow, an absolutely crappy weapon, because it's an electric bow, and my friend uses the Vanquisher because it's a cool pistol even though it doesn't give Evasion like the bows do(he's a Smuggler).

I read somewhere that the neg Evasion damage penalty only applies to HP damage, can anyone confirm? It's my main reason for believing this is in response to people saying Merc was so powerful, 'cause it wouldn't affect Techs(Petra's and Lash Cannon, fuck yeah) or Smugglers.