Which will finish first?

OpinionsRbad

Sep 20, 2017
The main plot line of Berserk or the main plot line of TiTS? Both get many hiatuses but who will win the race? Maybe throw HunterXHunter in there while we're at it.:negativeman:
Genuine answers only please; no trolls.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
The main plot line of TiTS.
I don't know about HxH, but I know that Berserk still has a 30% left or so if we take into account what Kentaro Miura stated back in 2009. Then again, it was announced Berserk will be released at least once per month commencing with episode 352.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
The main plot line of TiTS.
I don't know about HxH, but I know that Berserk still has a 30% left or so if we take into account what Kentaro Miura stated back in 2009. Then again, it was announced Berserk will be released at least once per month commencing with episode 352.
About Berserk i think more recently, after 2008, he stated he would not continue it to the end,that he was done with it

HxH gets a lot of hiatus, they even thought that the writer had died one time.

The main plot line of Berserk or the main plot line of TiTS? Both get many hiatuses but who will win the race? Maybe throw HunterXHunter in there while we're at it.:negativeman:
Genuine answers only please; no trolls.
It would suit better if instead u said Hajimo no ippo and One Piece.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
About Berserk i think more recently, after 2008, he stated he would not continue it to the end,that he was done with it
Source, please? The 2017 interview included in the Berserk Official Guidebook has the following bit: "Berserk is still moving ahead as it always has. [...] I'm still here working on Berserk. And I want to maintain my health as I somehow make it to the conclusion. As ever, here's to the future!"

Last edited:

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
Oh boy... one of these types of threads again.

I'll give it to the middle/end of the page before this thread turns into another heated debacle about the timeframe of when TiTS will finish its story. As innocent as this topic may be intended to be, it's a very touchy subject. Literally almost anything about this topic usually ends in a stupid argument about when TiTS will finish and all the speculations behind it, whether supporting or just plain whining.

It will finish when it finishes. Can we please just leave it at that?

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Ippo actually seems to be winding down; there was a whole thing recently about the direction it's being taken in.

There was an interesting interview/talk between Miura and a famous editor that shed a lot of light on why he's obviously struggling so hard with Berserk (to boil it down the editor felt that Miura wrote Berserk to do the Eclipse and that it happened too early in the story and everything after that suffers from a noticeable directionlessness even when it builds toward things and that Miura is mostly writing it now out of obligation rather than passion).

Reactions: Ch0w

BitchBroken

Dec 24, 2017
I'm alright with the state it's in. If it gets finished then that means the constant updates will probably stop. The way it's set up right now, we have something that you can keep coming back to and that's perfect for me. The story is not something I'm overly invested in, all I care about are the characters. Besides, let's be honest. The story is actually pretty awful, it's really just there to serve as a catalyst for smut(not that there's anything wrong with that).

dieinhell100

Sep 1, 2017

I'll give it to the middle/end of the page before this thread turns into another heated debacle about the timeframe of when TiTS will finish its story. As innocent as this topic may be intended to be, it's a very touchy subject. Literally almost anything about this topic usually ends in a stupid argument about when TiTS will finish and all the speculations behind it, whether supporting or just plain whining.

WRONG.

This shit 'bout Berserk now. I mean come on, just cure Casca already. I'd trade TiT's story 10 times over for just something to come to a conclusion in Berserk but no. For years I have to be reminded that Casca was raped retarded. That Guts may never find peace. That Griffith dares to continue gracing the world with his presence. Come on Miura, you're getting old, don't kick the bucket and leave us hanging.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
That Guts may never find peace.
He won't since he's bound to go to the Abyss soul vortex. At best, he could enjoy a long life if and only if everything went well. I for one don't think Berserk will end with the God Hand and the Idea of Evil being no more.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShySquare

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015

I was fine with ignoring this thread until someone mentioned Berserk.

First off, Miura has stated recently that he has no intention of giving up on the only serialized worked he has ever done in his entire life.

Second, his long hiatus's have a lot to do with him burning out, health and him playing video games he's become obsessed over.

Medge

Dec 23, 2015

I like you a lot. You write very well written content even if it's not stuff that I'm personally interested in.

That said, I don't agree here at all. The question of TiT's status is not an unreasonable one to ask given the amount of financial and personal investment from the community. At the end of the day this is a project floated by backers paying money to see it to completion. Money is involved. I doubt there's a single writer taking commissions for this game that would use "It's finished when its finished" on a paying customer checking in on a deadline. Not one they expected to come back. No one who exchanges money for a service or product is ever happy with that response.

This subject should not be a taboo the way it's considered on these forums. I'd love Fenco to have a successful run and the ability to produce many projects into the future should they desire to do that. The ability to do so will depend partly on the goodwill and trust they build up among patrons. That trust doesn't exist independently of transparent timelines and completed work.

Last edited:

Night Trap

Scientist
Creator
Oct 31, 2016
I doubt there's a single writer taking commissions for this game that would use "It's finished when its finished" on a paying customer checking in on a deadline.
lol

To keep this from being nothing more than a shitpost: the topic is taboo because there is no answer to this question and there will never be. It's also taboo because morons who usually aren't even backing the game crawl out of the woodwork to say dumb shit about how this game that churns out free content of fairly high quality (by the low standards of the internet) on a weekly (or more) basis is a rip off, and that Fen is hoarding all the furgold and laughing all the way to the bank/musky mattress he stores his furgold in.

I'm still laughing about the commission thing though. Seriously, never accept a commission with a deadline.

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
lol

To keep this from being nothing more than a shitpost: the topic is taboo because there is no answer to this question and there will never be. It's also taboo because morons who usually aren't even backing the game crawl out of the woodwork to say dumb shit about how this game that churns out free content of fairly high quality (by the low standards of the internet) on a weekly (or more) basis is a rip off, and that Fen is hoarding all the furgold and laughing all the way to the bank/musky mattress he stores his furgold in.

I'm still laughing about the commission thing though. Seriously, never accept a commission with a deadline.

Somebody call in Dr. Magic Ted and have him remove this cancer before it becomes terminal.

I've been a backer for over a year at this point, so if you're suggesting I'm just here to start shit after only playing public builds, that's not true. I've frequently defended fenco in the comments section against people whining about the public release time frame. It is for the most part a free game that non-backers only have to wait to enjoy bug free.

Just because there's no current answer to the question, that doesn't mean it's unreasonable for someone considering backing the game to ask about some sort of timeline on the forum. I came here and asked questions about backing before I joined. Anyone considering dropping money on the development is reasonable to do the same thing. There not being a current answer does not mean that there should not or could not be an answer. It's at the discretion of fenco to chart out shit like that. Many indie developers do just that and have update plans on their development pages. It's not an unconventional idea.

It blows my mind that someone asking basic questions could get such a hostile response. And to you nightrap, you're still expected to have work done in a reasonable time. Yes or no? This is an honest question, I don't know the answer. Is time not discussed at all (period) when a commission is accepted? Do you use a line like "you'll get this in one to two years"? Do you actually say "It's finished when it's finished"?

There's nothing quite like this game or CoC. Both projects gave me a new respect for the flexibility of written erotica. The community is pretty interesting too, even if I'm making more enemies than a few. It's possible that some people want to ask questions without meaning harm or insult to either. Insane right?

At this point, I'm catching flack from creators and forum goers that I have no personal issue with. I'm maybe taking a few things more personally than I should. Maybe I've been an asshole without meaning to.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitchBroken

Night Trap

Scientist
Creator
Oct 31, 2016
I've been a backer for over a year at this point, so if you're suggesting I'm just here to start shit, that's not true. I've frequently defended fenco in the comments section against people whining about the public release time frame. It is for the most part a free game that non-backers only have to wait to enjoy bug free.

Just because there's no current answer to the question, that doesn't mean it's unreasonable for someone considering backing the game to ask about some sort of timeline on the forum. I came here and asked questions about backing before I joined. Anyone considering dropping money on the development is reasonable to do the same thing. There not being a current answer does not mean that there should not or could not be an answer. It's at the discretion of fenco to chart out shit like that.

It blows my mind that someone asking basic questions could get such a hostile response though. And to you nightrap, you're still expected to have work done in a reasonable time. Yes or no? Or do you use a line like "you'll get this in one to two years"?

There's nothing quite like this game or CoC. The community is pretty interesting too, even if I'm making more enemies than a few. It's possible that some people want to ask questions without meaning harm or insult to either. Insane right?
I agree that there absolutely should be an answer to this very simple question. However, it's pretty well known by this point that that's never going to happen, as Fen himself has more or less said as much. Another reason this question is met with hostility: a simple search of the forums by someone who is curious would turn up one of the previous discussions of this topic. Or, if someone is too lazy to use the search function, then they could, to borrow an old adage here, "lurk moar."

As for my commissions, I make things clear up front. I let commissioners know that I have medical issues that often preclude writing, as well as real life obligations that often complicate things as well. I make no promises at all as to when something will be written, and that's exactly why I only take money for my projects when it's done. Even if I did take half the money beforehand, then I would still make it as clear as possible to the commissioner what they're getting into.

It's much the same with backing this game: caveat emptor. It's good for someone to check this sort of thing before backing, but people are frequently quite hostile to these inquiries because there have been countless people with buyer's remorse making these sorts of threads, or even just people who could have used the search function on the forums for its intended purpose to do their research. People are tired of answering the same question again and again (not just on this topic), and that's quite reasonable when there are multiple ways to find the answer to most common questions without making yet another thread that's just a rehash of an old one.

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
I agree that there absolutely should be an answer to this very simple question. However, it's pretty well known by this point that that's never going to happen, as Fen himself has more or less said as much. Another reason this question is met with hostility: a simple search of the forums by someone who is curious would turn up one of the previous discussions of this topic. Or, if someone is too lazy to use the search function, then they could, to borrow an old adage here, "lurk moar."

As for my commissions, I make things clear up front. I let commissioners know that I have medical issues that often preclude writing, as well as real life obligations that often complicate things as well. I make no promises at all as to when something will be written, and that's exactly why I only take money for my projects when it's done. Even if I did take half the money beforehand, then I would still make it as clear as possible to the commissioner what they're getting into.

It's much the same with backing this game: caveat emptor. It's good for someone to check this sort of thing before backing, but people are frequently quite hostile to these inquiries because there have been countless people with buyer's remorse making these sorts of threads, or even just people who could have used the search function on the forums for its intended purpose to do their research. People are tired of answering the same question again and again (not just on this topic), and that's quite reasonable when there are multiple ways to find the answer to most common questions without making yet another thread that's just a rehash of an old one.

And that's a reasonable response. Thank you.

I'm going to back out of here before my inner asshole says something stupid to people that self-righteously bandwagon click "like" instead of explaining shit like that themselves.

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
At this point, I'm catching flack from creators and forum goers that I have no personal issue with. I'm maybe taking a few things more personally than I should. Maybe I've been an asshole without meaning to.

I mean when you make a comment like this then that just comes off kinda passive aggressive, which certainly wouldn't earn you any favors.

I'm going to back out of here before my inner asshole says something stupid to people that self-righteously bandwagon click "like" instead of explaining shit like that themselves.

But yeah, Night Trap put it in as best words as we could possibly give you. Not sure if anyone else would have been able to explain this with as much patience, even myself, but believe me and us in that any ire isn't directed at you personally, just the topic itself is just talked to death at this point so it's kinda come to be expected that certain topics will start garnering some... hostile responses.

The only thing I can add to this is that, let's say Fen or anyone being commished does make a certain end-date deadline, and then shit comes up to where you won't make the deadline on time. I imagine that may and will cause a LOT of ire towards Fen for failing to meet that said timeline moreso than the current situation, so a set deadline wouldn't be the smartest of ideas to make. All we can hope for is the periodic updates to the story from time to time, which are at least still being hinted at!

On another note...

Last edited:

Medge

Dec 23, 2015
@Lkynmbr24 The first quote that you're taking is legitimately me trying to figure out if I've written something thoughtless without meaning to. I legitimately didn't know. The rest of this is me being passive aggressive.

When someone takes the weakest part of my question out of context in a quote as to why the rest of my question isn't worth answering, and community says "Yea, fuck that guy", I stop trying to win favors. Couldn't care less if the only standard is how many of us disagree. At that point "Passive aggressive" or "Asshole light" is the best I can do.

If you aren't trying to antagonize and someone takes one part of your quote to discredit and community says "Yea, this guy is stupid", you might react the same way. Hell, I even tried to lead with a compliment to avoid any harsh feelings for disagreeing.

I won't make any apologies for asking in the first place. I'm sure as hell not going to try and win a popularity contest. I'm not going to dig myself a deeper hole by prying any further or making any other points. Asking questions or making points about other indie projects now seems very dangerous if you aren't a forum darling. I'll end on asshole light and consider it an achievement of self restraint.

As for the rest of your quote. Thanks.

Last edited:

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I won't stay too long on this topic because I can feel the geiger counter clicking like crazy at the moment.

I like TiTS, I wouldn't be a backer if I didn't. But a big part of why I like the game comes from the fact that much of the content comes from the community and the fact that the developers welcome it so much. This isn't a game that basically steals peoples' money for nothing in return (Looking at you SimBro), the focus here isn't some nebulous deadline to have Content X done, its simply "Oh hey, this forum member wrote this pretty cool character, let's add them!". Each month we get a decent amount of content, definitely more so than other games.

Would I like to see another planet to explore? Sure. I'd also like to see a cute redhead with a guitar on Uveto. But I know that it takes time and effort. From what I understand, there are maybe three or four people who code for the game and probably just as many writers. Its essentially writing a novel worth of content for each planet, and I don't know if people have done that, but its a massive undertaking. Sometimes its easier to go for the short story or the novella than to tackle the saga.

At the end of the day, the story will be told, but the real strength of TiTS has been and will continue to be the content that the community creates.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Most of the development problems in TiTS could be solved by Fenoxo hiring an actual project manager who only does that, putting together schedules and goals, getting a feel for who's doing what and prioritizing so that all the work being done synergizes, recognizing if help needs to be hired for a time to push out this or that, making sure everyone knows what everyone else is doing and allowing for them to easily communicate back and forth and so on.

Fenoxo as a writer and programmer do well but Fenoxo as a project lead falters.

Reactions: Nik_van_Rijn

Lkynmbr24

Creator
Oct 30, 2016
Most of the development problems in TiTS could be solved by Fenoxo hiring an actual project manager who only does that, putting together schedules and goals, getting a feel for who's doing what and prioritizing so that all the work being done synergizes, recognizing if help needs to be hired for a time to push out this or that, making sure everyone knows what everyone else is doing and allowing for them to easily communicate back and forth and so on.

Fenoxo as a writer and programmer do well but Fenoxo as a project lead falters.
What Fen moreso needs is a competent and trustworthy content reviewer that knows and understands fully the type and quality of content from user submitted entries that should be included in the game. Fen reviewing most of this content himself in my opinion eats up a HUGE chunk of his time to where he doesn't get to work on his own projects, and consequently any story stuff as well. If there was a middleman that was able to review and approve content they feel the way Fen would think, then things would flow a LOT smoother than things are now. At this moment, Fen has a gigantic pile of backlogged entries dating back to around September to my understanding. If someone else were able to sort through this backlog, all it would fall to Fen staff, or any volunteer coder is to code it in. As of the moment, I feel it's just Fen undertaking a LOT of responsibilities at once that's causing a big slowdown.

(I obviously can't speak for Fen when I say this, but this is just something I've been observing.)

Reactions: Freed85 and Evil

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
More coders and reviewers are necessary too but that's something a good project manager would recognize and address. The huge backlog would obviously be a big priority right off the bat so putting together a more detailed list of "what's allowed and what isn't" as well as more defined quality standards (in the sense of what we're looking for and what we aren't) would be one of their tasks and then hiring reviewers who can go over the content, quickly get approval, and then get it ready for coding so the coders can slip it in easily without that being a two week project would be another. Everything goes -way- more smoothly when there's someone coordinating everyone and Fenoxo has always had trouble with that. Sometimes he makes posts asking what everyone else is doing because he has no idea.

Reactions: Kesil

XBoxMaster131

Oct 18, 2016
I've been a backer for over a year at this point, so if you're suggesting I'm just here to start shit after only playing public builds, that's not true. I've frequently defended fenco in the comments section against people whining about the public release time frame. It is for the most part a free game that non-backers only have to wait to enjoy bug free.

Just because there's no current answer to the question, that doesn't mean it's unreasonable for someone considering backing the game to ask about some sort of timeline on the forum. I came here and asked questions about backing before I joined. Anyone considering dropping money on the development is reasonable to do the same thing. There not being a current answer does not mean that there should not or could not be an answer. It's at the discretion of fenco to chart out shit like that. Many indie developers do just that and have update plans on their development pages. It's not an unconventional idea.

It blows my mind that someone asking basic questions could get such a hostile response. And to you nightrap, you're still expected to have work done in a reasonable time. Yes or no? This is an honest question, I don't know the answer. Is time not discussed at all (period) when a commission is accepted? Do you use a line like "you'll get this in one to two years"? Do you actually say "It's finished when it's finished"?

There's nothing quite like this game or CoC. Both projects gave me a new respect for the flexibility of written erotica. The community is pretty interesting too, even if I'm making more enemies than a few. It's possible that some people want to ask questions without meaning harm or insult to either. Insane right?

Hey, man, I was referring to the thread in general. You're one of the good ones, who actually posted their opinion in a respectful, intelligent manner. Pretty mutch the entire rest of this thread had been a deadly combo of salt and toxic waste.

Last edited:
Reactions: Medge

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
I may be me only, but I felt that the last three months, updates came a bit lacking on content.

It may have been caused by the amount of time that reviewing both Haloween and Christmas contests consumed.

Fr0sty

Dec 4, 2017
I may be me only, but I felt that the last three months, updates came a bit lacking on content.

It may have been caused by the amount of time that reviewing both Haloween and Christmas contests consumed.

A lot of work went into Federation Quest as well. That project for sure slowed a lot of things down, and when it was followed up by both Halloween and Christmas it just bogged the pipeline up more. Hopefully now we will have some clear time for smaller additions.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
A lot of that boils down to "the process for submitting is arcane and requires too many eyes with not enough established guidelines, there aren't enough people to do each thing, and no one's managing it on a macro scale at all".

Which -are- fixable as the game has enough of a budget to afford some freelance/temp hires and someone to whip the mess of a development cycle into shape.

TFMaster

What Fen moreso needs is a competent and trustworthy content reviewer that knows and understands fully the type and quality of content from user submitted entries that should be included in the game. Fen reviewing most of this content himself in my opinion eats up a HUGE chunk of his time to where he doesn't get to work on his own projects, and consequently any story stuff as well. If there was a middleman that was able to review and approve content they feel the way Fen would think, then things would flow a LOT smoother than things are now. At this moment, Fen has a gigantic pile of backlogged entries dating back to around September to my understanding. If someone else were able to sort through this backlog, all it would fall to Fen staff, or any volunteer coder is to code it in. As of the moment, I feel it's just Fen undertaking a LOT of responsibilities at once that's causing a big slowdown.

(I obviously can't speak for Fen when I say this, but this is just something I've been observing.)

The solution is clear we need to clone Fenoxo! and maybe the rest of the development team as well.

Reactions: ShySquare

Upcast Drake

May 27, 2017
Southeast USA
A lot of work went into Federation Quest as well. That project for sure slowed a lot of things down, and when it was followed up by both Halloween and Christmas it just bogged the pipeline up more. Hopefully now we will have some clear time for smaller additions.
I implemented FedQuest near-independently, just a handful of times I had to clarify things with Savin. The writing obviously took up a bunch of his time to get to that point though.

Reactions: Nik_van_Rijn

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Berserk will never finish because Miura will be kill by idols.

Gut's group FINALLY... FINALLY got to the Elf island. And they're FINALLY... FINALLY working to cure Caska's insanity. I reckon that part of the story might be finished... say... 2019. Even with Caska cured, that's NOT the end of the series. Guts still has to kill all the God Hand, Griffith and then go punch out the Idea of Evil itself. Oh, and overcome his own inner beast.

Also, the comparison between Berserk and TiTs is bs. The Berserk prototype came out back in 1988. The current ongoing manga came out in 1992. TiTs started... what 2014?