General TiTS references thread.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
In the wake of threads like this one or this one, and seeing how their names could be quite hard to remember and search, I decided to create a dedicated thread to chronicle references.

Etymology
  • Fanfir: from Fafnir, a character in Nordic mythology who was cursed to become a dragon.
  • Gabilani: from "goblin".
  • Korgonne: from the corgi dog breed.
  • Laquine: from "lagomorph" and "equine".
  • Kui-tan: anagram of "tanuki".
  • Myrmedion: from the Myrmidons of Greek legend, said to have been created out of ants (in Greek, "myrmex").
  • Mylodan: from "smilodon".
  • Simii: from "simian"
  • Terran: from Terra, the Latin name for Earth.
  • Venus pitcher: from the Venus fly trap and the pitcher plant.
  • Nepeta: plant genus which contains catnip (nepeta cataria) as one of its members
  • Weta and Wetraxxel: from the common name of the Anostostomatidae and Rhaphidophoridae species.

Films and TV
  • A Clockwork Orange: Arovok milk bar (Korova) and its drinks.
  • Back to the Future: Shekka's Hoverboard description matches that of the film's hoverboard, "88mph" cheat.
  • Blade Runner: Ben/Bess interactions involves discussing about the film version and its remakes.
  • Mad Max: Fury Road: Silly Mode only. Scene in which Steele chooses not to take Ben/Bess.
  • Doctor Who: Ben/Bess interactions (Medusan Cascade, the concept of what a companion does, including K-9).
  • Flubber: Blubber film (as well as Robin Williams as Jay Williams) (Fisianna interactions).
  • Full Metal Jacket: "All fucking ausar must fucking hang” Riya line.
  • Futurama: Bran Flazingan (name and physique allude to Zapp Brannigan), Snu-Snu Queen perk, Riley's Crushing Snu-Snu scene and korgone snu-snu.
  • Phineas and Ferb: fedora description alludes to Perry the Platypus ("semi-aquatic mammal").
  • Rick and Morty - "How They Do It" show Shekka watches (which alludes to real life "How it's Made" show).
  • Star Trek: kirkite (Kirk) and picardine (Picard). Satyrite is a reference to Saturn, the Saytr race and the "striped pattern" of their Megas-Tu planet.
  • Star Wars: Smuggler's "Shot First" skill (A New Hope Greedo vs Han Solo Episode IV controversy), Saendra interaction ("[Steele's name]... I am... your father!” Saen says in a low, deep voice.") and attire, Federation Quest part in which Captain Steele uses the radio in the communications tower and says what Solo said over the radio in the cell block Princess Leia was being held in during Episode IV, Winston (one of Shizuya's crewmembers) alluding to his warm-blooded father disliking sand, loving wearing black and losing his hand by cuting it off with his laser sword as they played rafters on one of his factories as a reference to Anakin Skywalker as well as the scene in Episode V on Cloud City when Darth Vader cuts off Luke’s hand.
  • The Terminator: The Exterminator film (including Skynet) (Fisianna interactions).
  • People: Steve Irwin The Crocodile Hunter (Steph Irson's Galactic Huntress and Natalie Irson), Billy Mayes (Millly Bayes, referenced in J'jeune vending machines), Marco Polo (marcopolo cheat), Beshine (beshineforever cheat, alluding to her large augmented breasts).
  • Various: Modded Yellow Clothes reference those worn by the Bride in Kill Bill/Hai Tien in Game of Death.
  • Cowboy Bebop/Outlaw Star: "Cowboy Star" anime Penny enjoys. Main characters are a bounty hunter and an android, probably CB's Spike Spiegel and OS' Melfina.
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey: Tarkus sex bots “I’m sorry [insert name here] but I cannot do that!” line.

Literature

• Cthulhu Mythos: Orryx and his wares (Yibb-Tstll Reflexive Lube, Olkoth Nanoborg Classic Injections)
  • Charlotte's Web: Shar Lot Ebb, former Widow's Kiss wielder.
  • Digenes Akritas: vessel Brands served on.
  • Heart of Darkness: Thare ("Heart") Plantation, Darnock ("Conrad" - an allusion to its writer, Joseph Conrad). After being bested, RK Lah utters "the horror, the horror".
  • Lord of the Rings: Ben/Bess interactions (Frodo and Sam).
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Mirrin's guandao.
  • Starship Troopers:Terran Federation (Scarlet Federation) Film version: United Citizen's Federation (Terran-Space Coalition, especially its military arm, the Coalition Expeditionary Force)
  • Völsunga saga: vessel Brands served on.
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: The Art of Scrapyard Maintenance and Artie.
  • People: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Ben/Bess talks).

Music
  • The Beagles (Anno interactions): The Beatles and Eagles.
  • The Beatles: Reaha telling her story begins with a reference to "I Am the Walrus" ("I am moo and you are moo and we are moo together”).
  • Tarkus: Emerson, Lake & Palmer album.
  • Journey: Mirrin's tooltip is a reference to "Don't Stop Believin'" ("Just a dragon girl, living in a lonely world"). Female zil's sex scene in which she offers "some of her honey" is a reference to "Any Way you Want It" ( "Any way you want it, that's the way you need it").
  • Queens of the Stone Age: Erra's full name is "Erra Aulgharis", almost an homophone for "Era Vulgaris", one of QOTSA's albums.
  • "Deck the Halls": "tistheseason" cheat.

Videogames

• Monster Girl Quest: Ara Ara system housing naleen (Alice), "Touch fluffy tail" option in Anno and Penny interactions.
  • BioShock Infinite: Biocock Infinibang and Bukkir (Booker DeWitt)'s cat dildo.
  • Mass Effect: Colenso talks?
  • Call of Duty: Call of Valor videogame series (email spam, Fisianna interactions).
  • Castlevania: Castle Mania arcade (Fisianna interactions).
  • Corruption of Champions: KihaCorp, Tamani Corp, satyrite, Lactaid item, Mino Charge (label alludes to Minotaur Blood TF item, which has similar effects), Brandt (first name being "Hélla", is refered to in text as a salamander - Helia reference), Valeria (Vala and ser Valeria), Equinum ("Literal Horse Pill" says that the branding on the package reads "Equinum" and comments that it's a stupid name for a transformation drug), the different charities one can donate to (St. Scylla’s Sanctuary for the Hungry references Scylla and her hunger, Commodore Edryn’s Home for Wayward Youth references Edryn, St. Jojo’s Homeless Shelter references Jojo, Marcus and Lucia’s Charity Center references Marcus and Lucia, Isabella-Whitney Crisis Response Group references Isabella and Whitney, Mme. Madeleine’s Galactic Food Drive references Maddy and her status as a golem made of food, Dominika Health and Wellness Research Fund references Dominika), Urtanium Rings, Urta's Horse Dildo and "urta" cheat (Urta), video games in Sera's Disco 3000 quest (Raphael and Ceraph), Sand Witches (Dry Spell's sandy blonde witch in a desert), Katherine's Champions of Corruption dog dildo (alluding to Catherine's canine penis).
  • Nimin Fetish Fantasy: Silly Mode only line in a Cuntsnake scene ("like something out of a Nimin Fetish fantasy").
  • Payday 2: Void Juggernaut is inspired by Skulldozer - Silly Mode references it further.
  • Bloodborne: dialogue in Cherry's scene written for high cum outputs (“Ahhhhhh, what’s that taste?” she laughs between gliding strokes. “Sweet cream, oh it sings to me.”) is a reference to a line uttered by Father Gascoigne during his fight ("What's that smell? ...The sweet blood, oh, it sings to me.")
  • Final Fight: "poison" cheat (alludes to Poison as an hermaphrodite or a trans woman).
  • Final Fantasy VII: Ben/Bess' Tank Top & Mini Skirt allude to Tifa's regular clothing.
Misc:
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Sydians resembling Rust Monsters, Perils in Perdition and Caves and Cryptids games.
  • Monopoly: Oligopoly game (Fisianna interactions).
  • Warhammer 40,000: Nova's heavy armour ("Space marines, eat our heart out!") Tarkus (Dawn of War character).
  • Archie Comics: Betsy and Victoria (Betty and Veronica).
  • Items: Clippex (Tippex), Semen's Friend (Fisherman's Friend), Mad Dogz video game controller (Mad Catz gamepads).
  • Arizona Iced Tea (Amazona Iced Tea).
  • Foxfire: kitsune magical fire + bioluminescence created by some species of fungi
  • Playing Poker (Anno interactions): Dogs Playing Poker painting series by Cassius Marcellus Coolidge.
  • People: Fenoxo/Savin (Nivas Oxonef, Fenoxo's imp persona alluded to by Sera and fedora's description), Savin (Savicite), Gedan (Gedanium Rings).
  • Nestlé (Snugglé).
  • Bad Dragon (Naughty Wyvern Tam-wolf bad end synth-cum loaded cock).
  • Mare's Leg: weapon used by Steve McQueen's character in the series "Wanted: Dead or Alive". Due the popularity of the show, many collectors started calling any Winchester Model 1892 (or modern derivative) that had a shortened barrel and stock a "Mare's Leg".
  • Deerium being for sale in Cannadia is a reference to real life Canada and its wild life.

Last edited:

SoAndSo

Scientist
Creator
Mar 26, 2017
Hehe, it's going to be fun watching people trying to get all my references.

There's a lot

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Rayleh's entire project is full of references. >_>

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
Ah yes, Colenso's conspiracy. We have dismissed that claim, Kesil.
Ah yes, the "cock block the savior of the galaxy just because you don't consider his evidence proof" approach, nice.

TFMaster

Here's some more references...

When approaching Anno to interact with her on your ship she may be listening to music she will then proceed to comment on the song and band she was listening to, these band names reference different things.

One of the band names in The Beagles this is an obvious reference to the popular rock back The Beatles, The Beagles is most likely an Ausar rock band similar to The Beatles.

Another band name is Playing Poker this is obviously a reference to the famous series of painting of a similar title depicting dogs sitting around a table playing poker.

The last band name was mentioned by Kesil in their OP above.
Monster Girl Quest: "Touch fluffy tail" option in Anno interactions.
There is another Touch Fluffy Tail reference in Penny's interactions which Kesil might have gotten mixed up with Anno.

Some more unrelated references are...

There is an item in CoC and TiTS called Lactaid both of which do the same thing, increase lactation.

In silly mode when encountering a Cunt Snake the text "like something out of a Nimin Fetish fantasy" is added which is a reference to... well guess, it's not that hard actually.

P.S. I started typing this reply at 6:30 during my break at work so if someone has already covered one of these things then feel free to disregard them.
Also sorry for any punctuation or wording errors in this reply that was never my strong suit.

PearintoPeaches

Jul 17, 2017
The planet name 'Tarkus' is a musical reference to an Emmerson, Lake, and Palmer album of the same name...either that or it's a hell of a coincidence. Good album too if you enjoy prog.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I've always assumed it was a coincidence, but I'll add it nonetheless.

By the way, am I right in thinking that the "Do you wanna live forever?" line after choosing Nova's military helmet is a reference to the film adaption of Starship Troopers?

Last edited:

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
Betsy and Victoria from the Ten Ton Gym are a reference to Betty and Veronica, from Archie comics. I didn't know if anyone got it until Adjatha mentioned it on the bust post: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/22673511/

TFMaster

Of course! How could I have forgotten something so obvious in my original post something that I have noticed before while I was playing this game?

Anyways here it is, Steph Irson is a reference to Steve Irwin The Crocodile Hunter they are essentially the same person just the opposite genders and Steph Irson gets into lewder adventures than Steve Irwin.

Also at the vending machine that sells Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Loftcake when leaving the vending machine it will mention Milly Bayes which is a reference to Billy Mayes the well known commercial spokesman except the opposite gender and the first letter of their first and last names are switched. It might also mention Milly Bayes when you approach the vending machine I can't remember.

Lastly I was going to include this in my original post but I decided against it at the time since it is relatively well know but it is that Nivas Oxenef is actually Savin and Fenoxo spelled backwards.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
As alluded to in this thread, Sub-Commander Brandt on Gastigoth mentions serving on the vessels Digenes Akritas and Völsunga. They are both epic poems in the Terran naval naming tradition. Digenes Akritas (the "Two-Blooded Borderer", a fitting reference for a half-breed like Brandt) was an Anatolian Byzantine hero from the best-known of the Frontiersmen Songs, and the Völsunga is an Icelandic epic, relating the story of Sigurd, which was adapted many times, most famously by Wagner into Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I just remembered that the in game Call of Valor series mentioned in an email is a reference to the Call of Duty series. It might also be the game that you play with Syri IDK.
It's also referenced by Fisianna and her friends.

Freed85

Aug 31, 2015
I just remembered Mirrin's Tooltip: Just a Dragon Girl, Living in a Lonely world! is a reference to the song Don't Stop Believing just replace dragon with small town and its the first 2 line's of the song.

TFMaster

I just remembered one! The Minocharge item sold by Gene on Myrellion says that it is made from real Minotaur blood in the description which is probably a reference to CoC where drinking Minotaur Blood eventually turns you into a Minotaur.

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. When Steele talks with Penny about what she does for fun, she mentions that she enjoys a particular anime called Cowboy Star. She also mentioned that the anime is about a bounty hunter and his android sidekick. This is a reference to two anime: Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. The bounty hunter is Spike from Cowboy Bebop, and the android sidekick is Melfina from Outlaw Star.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
The Art of Scrapyard Maintenance is a pastiche of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, as well as just being a pun ('Art' being the name of the proprietor).

'Thare' is an anagram of 'Heart' and 'Darnock' is 'Conrad' backwards with a k on top. Lah goes 'the horror, the horror' when you beat him. Dunno if this was all too highbrow a reference for anyone to catch.

RK Lah... surely somebody got that?

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
Somebody probably got the reference, though I honestly did not. Heart of Darkness was a slog to read through during my junior year (the homework and tests didn't help) so I forgot most of it. Maybe now that it isn't a mandatory reading assignment I'll give it another go around. Good work on those references, Nonesuch.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Idk if it really counts but because someone else mentioned Brandt and CoC is listed, her first name Hélla coupled with Savin calling her a salamander in text is an obvious call to Helia.

TFMaster

In the new Federation Quest just recently added (Backers build) during the scene where Captain Steele uses the radio in the communications tower there is a reference to Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. Steele says pretty much the same thing Han Solo did over the radio in the cell block Princess Leia is being held in.

“Uhh... everything’s under control. Situation normal,” you try.

The woman comes back, “What happened? We heard gunfire from the factory!”

“Just, uh, just a weapons malfunction. But, uh, everything’s alright! I’m fine. Everybody’s fine, thank you! Uh, how’re you?”

There’s a moment of silence. “I see. Perhaps I should return and check in on my careless daughters, then.”

“Uh, no, no, that’s alright. We, uh, have a fuel leak here! Hit a gas line. Give us a few minutes to patch it up!”

Oh and speaking of Star Wars references, the Smuggler's "Shoot First" ability is a reference to the whole "Han Shot First!" fiasco. For those who don't know what I'm referring to in the 90s when George Lucas remastered the original Star Wars movies he made some changes one of them being Greedo shooting first instead of Han, of course this created some fan outrage and resulted in the whole "Han Shot First!" debacle.

Zombiqaz

Nov 16, 2016
The planet name 'Tarkus' is a musical reference to an Emmerson, Lake, and Palmer album of the same name...either that or it's a hell of a coincidence. Good album too if you enjoy prog.

Tarkus is also the name of a character from the Dawn of War games.

Way back in the Offbeatr campaign one of the things was being able to suggest names for planets, and I'm pretty sure that name was what I gave when it asked. I've wondered since then if the planet was actually based off what I wrote there. Though it has been a long time and I could be misremembering things, or maybe that name was chosen for another reason.

You needed to put something in for every entry on the Offbeatr form in order to complete your donation (once the campaign had finished), I was having trouble thinking of something original and just wanted to get the form filled in so I tried to think of something that sounded space-y and "Tarkus" was the first thing that came into my head. I figured my entry wouldn't be picked (after all, there were many donors but even now there are only half a dozen planets in the game) so I didn't feel too bad for trying to finish the form without thinking about the name too hard.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
There's also the Perils in Perdition game Saendra plays, which is just a D&D clone.
Saendra also dresses in a sluttier version of Han Solo's outfit from A New Hope.
And of course, her A.I. companion is Valeria, from CoC. Though she might have stolen Vala's body for it.

Reactions: Freed85

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
Saendra also dresses in a sluttier version of Han Solo's outfit from A New Hope.

I suspected it, now it's confirmed. Valeria was a goo though, making wings wouldn't be too hard. Maybe, IDK.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Wasn't Valeria somewhat dommy? Been a while since I played CoC.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I was wondering... Is J'ejune's Blu'Cow energy drink a reference to Red Bull?

Vapor

May 25, 2017
There's also the Perils in Perdition game Saendra plays, which is just a D&D clone.
And of course, her A.I. companion is Valeria, from CoC. Though she might have stolen Vala's body for it.

So that makes Steele Leia in this context. Princess or Heir to the biggest space fortune on the space stock market.