The Last Demonhunter

critlocked

Apr 21, 2016
I haven't played since .56, do I need to download each update and save my saves via them before I move onto the next update? Currently I downloaded the latest, .63, and I'm getting the following fun little error:

Script 'New Menu' line 370:NoMethodError occured.
undefined method 'width' for nil:NilClass

Every time I press escape to access the menu. However on a new game this doesn't seem to happen, meaning it must be a save file thing. I just want to know if I have to upgrade my saves through each new version, if there's no compatibility at all, or if there's some sort of fix. I assume this is because I'm trying to play the game with an old save, I didn't see anything about lack of compatibility in saves, but I may have missed something.

On that note I'm going to try downloading earlier versions than the most current to see if they all have this problem or not. I'll keep everyone appraised through edits to this post.

Edit: Oooor not 'cause I can't find any versions other than the latest as their blog entries don't have links.

Last edited:

critlocked

Apr 21, 2016
Yes, old save files can cause issues like the one above, in this case, I updated the menu-script which caused your issue. That said, try restarting the first time this happens, sometimes the program just derps itself.

Either way, try again in version 0.64, its up now, also has some new stuff, extended hentai, etc, check out the blog:
http://pervyfantasyproductions.blogspot.de/2017/04/the-last-demonhunter-064.html

Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the help. I downloaded the new version and it's, unfortunately, still doing the same thing. I've restarted half a dozen times or so after it crashes and it's not something that seems to be able to correct itself.

I try loading up any of my old saves and it crashes with that same error message. I don't suppose you have the build that initially implements this script just floating around somewhere still that I could use to save over my saves with to sort of "upgrade" my saves to your updated script? No one else seems to be having the issue, so I imagine everyone else downloaded the version that first implemented your new script and used that to save and it worked to update their saves. I'd hate to have to start all over again, I've worked hard to get to the point I have yet the game is entertaining enough that if I have to restart then it won't feel like a slog to do so, at least.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Um I would like to play the new stuff, but everytime I try to go into the menu I get an error that crashes the game "Script 'New Menu' line 371: NoMethodError occured. Undefined method 'width' for nil:NilClass"

So yeah kinda stuck, I had to go back 3+ hours in my saves to find one that didn't have that error, and I don't feel like replaying that much stuff just yet (mainly cause I don't remember what I had to do way back when). I'll try to play as far as I can of the new stuff without a menu though.

critlocked

Apr 21, 2016
Um I would like to play the new stuff, but everytime I try to go into the menu I get an error that crashes the game "Script 'New Menu' line 371: NoMethodError occured. Undefined method 'width' for nil:NilClass"

So yeah kinda stuck, I had to go back 3+ hours in my saves to find one that didn't have that error, and I don't feel like replaying that much stuff just yet (mainly cause I don't remember what I had to do way back when). I'll try to play as far as I can of the new stuff without a menu though.

Hey! That's nearly the exact same error I got a few months ago when I tried to play the updated version. I didn't have any compatible saves, unfortunately.

It seems the only way to proceed is to start a new game or find a compatible save.

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
Hey! That's nearly the exact same error I got a few months ago when I tried to play the updated version. I didn't have any compatible saves, unfortunately.

It seems the only way to proceed is to start a new game or find a compatible save.

Well damn, thankfully the new content was short enough that I could get through it all without having to open the menu.

The Kitsune part of town is super buggy at the moment I must say, between kitsune's switching character models everytime I talk to them to me exiting from different huts than the ones I entered, I feel like that area could use some work to stabilize things. Also talking to the Pharaoh adds a weird red effect to the screen that doesn't go away after I finish talking with her, I have to leave and re-enter the desert for that to be fixed. Oh and apparently the game doesn't let me leave the kitsune part of town, I need to enter and then exit through the slave auction house to get back to the west half. Plus when the scene with the two kitsunes making happens the game tries to get me to walk out at the end, but then gets stuck so I can't move out of the hut.

critlocked

Apr 21, 2016
Well damn, thankfully the new content was short enough that I could get through it all without having to open the menu.

The Kitsune part of town is super buggy at the moment I must say, between kitsune's switching character models everytime I talk to them to me exiting from different huts than the ones I entered, I feel like that area could use some work to stabilize things. Also talking to the Pharaoh adds a weird red effect to the screen that doesn't go away after I finish talking with her, I have to leave and re-enter the desert for that to be fixed. Oh and apparently the game doesn't let me leave the kitsune part of town, I need to enter and then exit through the slave auction house to get back to the west half. Plus when the scene with the two kitsunes making happens the game tries to get me to walk out at the end, but then gets stuck so I can't move out of the hut.

Yeah, I haven't played the game since my save was broken, but I'm still always excited for updates. I'll pick it up again once the final build comes out.

Deva

Sep 19, 2015
Yeah, I haven't played the game since my save was broken, but I'm still always excited for updates. I'll pick it up again once the final build comes out.
Well, your lucky day, as far as updages go see: http://pervyfantasyproductions.blogspot.de/2017/08/the-last-demonhunter-067.html?zx=e91577be862b1fc6

That said, it'll be quite a while till the final version still.

Mostly focusing on the pyramid. As for the fox-village.. hrmnn.. it was a bit rushed, I will take a look, though some of what you said there is a bit vague. The transition thingies and etc should be fixed in the next version either way, really unsure about the tint you mention and what happens there.

Scars Unseen

Sep 23, 2017
I'm guessing this is a bug. This is my first time playing. I went to the haunted house with Rose and Miay in my party, but at some point during the escape, a character named Rubia showed up in my party. I noticed after grabbing Rose, but it might have happened when I checked an empty room. She fights, but never interjects in dialogue, and when I went to the forest afterward, she wasn't present for the camp scene where you can speak with party members(though she was still in the party menu). I'm guessing this is a party member that I was supposed to find earlier?

EmperorG

Sep 6, 2015
I'm guessing this is a bug. This is my first time playing. I went to the haunted house with Rose and Miay in my party, but at some point during the escape, a character named Rubia showed up in my party. I noticed after grabbing Rose, but it might have happened when I checked an empty room. She fights, but never interjects in dialogue, and when I went to the forest afterward, she wasn't present for the camp scene where you can speak with party members(though she was still in the party menu). I'm guessing this is a party member that I was supposed to find earlier?

Actually it's a party member that was available earlier, but has been shifted a bit, I remember there was some change to their code hence why you bugged out. Hmm, you may want to go back a save to before the haunted mansion and then head north to the Pyramids, you should meet someone there that can help you (look for a blond knight). Unless they were moved elsewhere, in which case I don't know how to help you since I haven't replayed the game in ages, in terms of the newer versions.

Reactions: Deva

Silas Crowley

Jan 27, 2016
This is an interesting game that seems to have been in the works for a while. As such, it's not a true 'alpha'; you'll find a decent amount of content in this game. This message is basically going to be a review and some advice to other players.

TLD's biggest strength is its art assets. You'll find a lot of custom art work, sometimes animated cut-scenes and even sound effects all for sex. Initially I played pretty much just because Ayla looked really good. However, for a game that's as developed as this, I have serious concerns and a few warnings.

As I played through the game, I noticed something; the scene & writing quality is completely inconsistent. In some scenes things go spot-on without errors and good flow between dialogue, action and images. But in many... the game is very rough, and it's not new content. Much of these rough patches are of older content; I am a picky reader, but I felt that even when there weren't typos or very bland scenes, the game somewhat struggled to hold my interest even during its best moments. This was very unfortunate. TLD has great art assets and its a shame these resources did not receive better writing.

Smut scenes are very short. You might have just a couple of boxes when you probably wanted at least a page of hanky-panky. But, it gets worse; many scenes often feel like a 'tease', and real sex in the game is somewhat scarce. Basically, there's a lot of good art and plenty of scenes / fetishes, but they're all very short and shallow. Little detail work was put into the writing and it causes the smut, which may be the most important component of a smut game, to feel sadly lacking.

I don't want to bash TLD, but I'd be lying if I said the writing didn't piss me off regularly.

However- the code and event work seems stellar. There are often variations to scenes, different interactions with NPCs based on your clothing (or lack thereof) and a lot of fetishes catered too. I wouldn't say the problem was ever that the game tried to hit too much content. If anything, it keeps you interested by constantly exposing you to fresh content-! The trouble is just that this appeal is perpetually unfulfilled... and that the writing meant to fill these scenes leaves them depressingly hollow.

In-game, there are three obtainable companions; let me pause to stress a point here- they're all female. Most enemies you can have sex, as well as NPCs, are also female with a rare few futanari / hermaphrodites. That's not a problem in and of itself but there was so much vanilla yuri as opposed to other fetish content that I steadily became annoyed with how often it was there. There's some tentacle fiends and a lumberjack-house where you can get creamed if you walk in naked, but I didn't think much of these scenes.

Strengths:
- Artwork
- Mechanical flexibility
- Wide content base

Weaknesses:
- Poor writing
- Inconsistent quality
- Very repetitive sexuality (too much plain yuri)

My advice to the developer isn't necessarily to cut back on anything that they're doing, but rather to examine the writing of many completed parts of the game and re-evaluate if they're really 'complete'. Many of the game's art and fetish content is really interesting... but the writing staggers behind everything else TLD has going for it, enough that I'm loathe to play it. If you're put off from it because of the writing, I advise just opening the game's image folder and scrolling through them.

I hope the game gets some polishing.

Last edited:

Deva

Sep 19, 2015
Actually it's a party member that was available earlier, but has been shifted a bit, I remember there was some change to their code hence why you bugged out. Hmm, you may want to go back a save to before the haunted mansion and then head north to the Pyramids, you should meet someone there that can help you (look for a blond knight). Unless they were moved elsewhere, in which case I don't know how to help you since I haven't replayed the game in ages, in terms of the newer versions.

That's rather apt advise.

As for the spontaneous review.. Yep, in parts it's old writing, that's why it's a remastered version, I'm certain that once I'm up to another game that one's writing will improve further. that said, I don't really get some of the criticism like 'too much yuri' that's what I like and write best, so that's whats featured in the game. That's not a valid criticism unless I claimed the game was mostly male on female focused or whatever. Beyond that, as always, I can't really improve without someone giving concrete examples of issues.
I also think that a lot of what you present is somewhat biased, because a lot of your critique, like short scenes, wouldn't apply to my other game, Dark Recruitment which has little story and massive smut writings, yet it is not prefered by people. I most certainly can improve, but not everyone -wants- smut scenes that go on forever.

Either way, you certainly touch upon a few things that could use improvement in future games, for now, finishing this with the rough style it holds is my priority, on that note, Update is live on the blog, featuring a completion of the desert area with some bugfixes and polishings as welll as a new bad ending against the desert-raider leader, here:

http://pervyfantasyproductions.blogspot.de/2017/10/the-last-demonhunter-071-and-hentai-art.html

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017
Hi! Wanted to let you know that I've been really enjoying TLD Remake. I can tell a lot of effort went into it.

I wanted to let you know of some major problems I've run into in 0.72 involving the Pyramid and the desert. (If you'd prefer to get bug reports of this size another way, please let me know.)

Ayla's sprite clips through, or walks through, a lot of the objects. This happened most notably with the two sphinxes outside and the black door the boss mummy comes from.

After I flip the switch to open the door inside the pyramid, Ayla's drawing stays on the screen while I'm moving around. It doesn't go away until I look at something else that she can comment on and then finish the dialogue.

I had the game freeze on me in the room where you sneak past the goblins. It happened when I sent Miay in first, and then sent Rose when Miay failed. Miay's sprite walked into one of the jugs and stopped. Nothing responded, and I had to exit the program by alt-tab and closing it manually. When I tried again and sent Rose in, it was still Miay's sprite doing the walking.

Worse yet, once I enter the pyramid area, I don't seem to be able to leave. No exit exists outside, and I can't figure out a way to exit from inside. I killed the four mummies in the center of the boss room and checked around the boss door, so either I'm missing something or it really is glitched.

Incidentally, I know there were a fair few misspelled words and sentence problems in the game. If you'd like, I could offer my services as an English major to assist in finding them and helping to edit them.

Thanks for a fun game! Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Deva

Sep 19, 2015
Some of those bugs should already be fixed in 0.73, but two of them weren't noticed before, will take a look at them.

As for your offer of assistance, send us an email (address on the blog) and we can talk more, always happy for help of course.

For now, here's a bugfixedish version with new content, a lewd fairy-forest for everyones enjoyment:

http://pervyfantasyproductions.blogspot.de/2018/02/the-last-demonhunter-073.html

By all means keep any bug reports coming, I hate bugs, but no way around 'em in a bigger game project. ^^

Sep 4, 2017
Very cool! Thanks.

Agreed, bugs suck. I had a game that someone else was programming for me (I did the writing, someone else did the art) and he told me all the time about the program acting berserk. It was never finished, but it wouldn't have even gotten that far had I been at the helm.

klx

Jan 25, 2018
Bug: in very first cave, character can pickup an armor.. special one. It you will remove right after wearing bad end sequence will happen anyway.

Last edited:

klx

Jan 25, 2018
Also, after battle with gray character window is broken (probably caused by changed alignment)

Attachments

• char_view_brocken.png
    char_view_brocken.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 18

klx

Jan 25, 2018
It happened right after battle with Lord Grey.
Also:
- Ayla and Rubia can wear same items, which creates whole new layer for issues like this.
- Preview of dragon-girl character version is broken in the same way
- In some dialogs character face overlays is not disappearing on character switch
- My playthrough was ended by black screen: you can open status screen, but game view is plain black screen. Also I'm got the same issue in "The Order of Light"

Maybe it somehow related to rpgmaker? I have same extra components installed. It was requited for Tower Girls, as far as I remember. I can provide my savegame for you also.

klx

Jan 25, 2018
0.74:

Attachments

• char_view_broken_2.png
    char_view_broken_2.png
    249 KB · Views: 13
  • Save04.zip
    33.9 KB · Views: 7

Deva

Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for all the stuff klx, I took a looksie. That said, this graphical glitch is really odd, more odd is that you got the same issue all over, I share your suspicion of a special plugin causing this if it happens in OOL as well, now, far be it from me to claim being bug-free, but this is the first time I saw an image this messed up or heard of a black screen after lord Gray, anyone else getting these bugs, and how did you get them?
Either way, please use the bug report option on our blog and be as precise as possible for things like image glitches 'some dialogue' is nothing I can use.

For now, new release for TLDH, with a new big bad bossfight and a total of three new lewd gameover, see more on the blog: http://pervyfantasyproductions.blogspot.de/2018/03/the-last-demonhunter-075.html