Zheng Shi and the Galactic Steele Arms Race

Blackangel

Dec 22, 2015
Or:

How fucked is Your Cousin this time?

We all know how it felt when You saw Your Cousin standing over the probe, gloating in the steamy jungles of Mhen'ga.

The smug satisfaction of outbidding Your Cousin for the probe in Novahome on Tarkus (That Platinum 190 resting delightfully heavy in your pack).

That momentary pang of delight upon seeing Your Cousin sitting humiliated in a cage in the depths of Myrellion, your father's probe mere feet away.

And now....

Zheng Shi. Home to Pirates and Slavers. Even as you step out from your ship, you have to wonder: Did your cousin finally grow a few more braincells and give up on taking your inheritance? *muffled laughter from somewhere across the bay*

Or are you finally going to have to save them from themselves (if you're feeling so inclined of course)?

What are your guys' (and gals') theories on the Rival's antics for this new section of TiTs?

Last edited:

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I'm expecting fuckall because Fen, as much as I love his work and his games and appreciate all his efforts, has done precisely fuckall to make the rival resemble a character.much less an antagonist.

The rival is going to be a spoilt brat who is vaguely racist and this time they won't have dane to bail them out and I doubt whatever muscle they replace him with will be anything important.

ForTheGraceOfSatan

Jan 16, 2018
Group of Black Void pirates hired to stop Steele because Jack/Jill can be bothered / is too scared to face Steele by themselves. Or any other bandits or mercenaries.

Irrlicht

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe we can sell them? And then get ourself a real rival...

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
Wait, first you say
The rival is going to be a spoilt brat who is vaguely racist and this time they won't have dane to bail them out and I doubt whatever muscle they replace him with will be anything important.

but then you say
And let someone else have our cousin as a [...] potential key to interrupting our quest?

I don't think so.

Isn't that exactly what would fix the previous issue? A more competent villain using the cousin as a tool in their own scheme to get at the Steele fortune, or have leverage over Steele(Corp) and potentially Max(Corp) as well? The cousin may not pose a real threat on their own, but by introducing a bigger threat you bypass that issue. Alternatively, Fen could surprise everyone by doing something interesting with the cousin. Make them buy out their own personal pirate gang and build them to rival Black Void. I doubt it, but it could happen.

Either of the above could force Max to make moves of his own, and if he was good enough to give Steele Sr. issues, having him take the stage should be interesting, and is something I've been hoping will happen at some point.

Reactions: ShySquare

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Wait, first you say

but then you say

Isn't that exactly what would fix the previous issue? A more competent villain using the cousin as a tool in their own scheme to get at the Steele fortune, or have leverage over Steele(Corp) and potentially Max(Corp) as well? The cousin may not pose a real threat on their own, but by introducing a bigger threat you bypass that issue. Alternatively, Fen could surprise everyone by doing something interesting with the cousin. Make them buy out their own personal pirate gang and build them to rival Black Void. I doubt it, but it could happen.

Either of the above could force Max to make moves of his own, and if he was good enough to give Steele Sr. issues, having him take the stage should be interesting, and is something I've been hoping will happen at some point.
Because our current rival is completely unnecessary for a proper antagonist to happen and I'd rather have a bedwarmer than deal with some random ass pirate in the future. Between uncle max, our rival's sibling, and our legion of bastard half-siblings, there is little need for some random motherfucker to become our next antagonist.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Then get writing.

Reactions: valkyr42