Your gripes with CoC II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2021
Except Hethia is an asshole during that whole thing (Is intended to be) and was misgendering Ryn I'm pretty very sure on purpose.
The game doesn't need more of that in it.

Real talk tho what's with the onslaught of people shitting on Ryn like... what did she do to you outside have an annoying mechanic and be half-sexed? .-.'''
Personally, I don't really care about Ryn that much, but I can see why some folks would dislike her, considering her annoying as hell mechanic that you had no way to avoid in earlier builds if you wanted to use her. And her main set kind of sucks, it's clearly damage based but an AOE black mage outclasses her in every way except for defense, and even then outclassing a black mage in defense isn't exactly a remarkable feat. Her healer set is pretty good though. And her personality might be a coin flip for some people. Some people (like me) dislike the overly shy archetype, others may like it.

That said however, while I understand disliking her, I certainly don't get the Tidal wave of hatred that half the community harbors for her. It's kind of perplexing.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Some people (like me) dislike the overly shy archetype, others may like it.
One solution is to help Ryn get past her shyness. It's easier for her than it is to do the same for, say, Benji-kun. Also, she's never as bad as Benji-kun is.

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
Ryn is a half sexed princess and not everyone is into that.

Her personality can be perceived as annoying and needy which is not what everyone signed up for. Especially so idlf they fall into first point.

Her being a princess forces her into plot (but only for short tine so I do not see a big deal).

Her confidence mechanics are poorly telegraphed and do not tell you the full picture of what that content entails.

Her blue balls mechanics left poor taste in lots of people mouths. It did get solved, I think, in recent patches so it is not a problem anymore I hope.

Her confidence and content is heavily biased into high confidence/loving directions which sucks for people that want to abuse her.

And she has a dick.

I think that should cover it all.

Burnerbro

Oct 24, 2020
Her confidence mechanics are poorly telegraphed and do not tell you the full picture of what that content entails.
I'm not sure I can agree with this assessment, on both points. You get ample feedback on how Ryn is progressing, and there are no interactions the outcomes of which you can't reasonably predict. Because how hard can it be to deduce that abusing for the sake of your own sexual gratification someone with confidence issues and a history of being vicimized by her closest relative is a corrupt path that will nuke any potential for that character's growth? Or to guess what you need to do in order to fascilitate said growth?

Her confidence and content is heavily biased into high confidence/loving directions which sucks for people that want to abuse her.
That is a fair point, however it is just an offshoot of the general issue with the corrupt paths in the game. Ryn has a comparatively more robust amount of corruption content. The Champion's immediate surroundings and companions changing to reflect high corruption and getting more specific corrupt content is something I vaguely remember the devs talking about, so there is always hope. Brint/Brienee getting the addiction mechanics of Mareth's minotaurs and cow girls is very high on my list of content anticipated long term.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
I'm not sure I can agree with this assessment, on both points. You get ample feedback on how Ryn is progressing, and there are no interactions the outcomes of which you can't reasonably predict. Because how hard can it be to deduce that abusing for the sake of your own sexual gratification someone with confidence issues and a history of being vicimized by her closest relative is a corrupt path that will nuke any potential for that character's growth? Or to guess what you need to do in order to fascilitate said growth?
What I mean is that when she is at high confidence game treats us a couple. I am not sure what to you comes to mind when game says "high confidence", but her amd my champion confessing our ever lasting love to each other is not something I would guess. I just wanted to be nice to her, not love her.

Emily Smith

Apr 20, 2021
Can't you just ignore her? She's only really needed at the moment for winter city and gaining baron/baroness of the Wayfort. Ryn isn't really important unless you're going to romance her.. I'm waiting for her cage to be removed.

Animalistic

Jul 11, 2019
Can't you just ignore her? She's only really needed at the moment for winter city and gaining baron/baroness of the Wayfort. Ryn isn't really important unless you're going to romance her.. I'm waiting for her cage to be removed.
You can not make a complete judgement of something if you do not expirience it first hand or at least analyse it.

Also, some of my points are based on people that want to enjoy her, but her content had/has a lot of quirks that makes it annoyin/unsatisfactory to do.

jwins

Dec 1, 2020
I'll agree that it would be nice to have her more lovey content behind higher confidence. As it is right now I can't have her confident in my mono saves with other characters else I get ambush kissed in public. Seeing as how her Harrick talk at 90+ ends with a kiss I think that would be a good place to put her more romantic scenes so that people can still have a confident and proud elvenqueen while not necessarily wanting to be anything more than good friends.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I'll agree that it would be nice to have her more lovey content behind higher confidence. As it is right now I can't have her confident in my mono saves with other characters else I get ambush kissed in public. Seeing as how her Harrick talk at 90+ ends with a kiss I think that would be a good place to put her more romantic scenes so that people can still have a confident and proud elvenqueen while not necessarily wanting to be anything more than good friends.
The way I usually write Ryn High-Confidence content is like this:

Sex scene, 75+ Confidence: Ryn is super lovey-dovey to Champ
Non-sex scene, 90+ Confidence: Ryn is super lovey-dovey to Champ
Non-sex scene, 75-89 Confidence: Ryn is very affectionate toward Champ and clearly harbors a serious crush, but doesn't get romantic

jwins

Dec 1, 2020
I was talking about the random kiss event and when she pronounces that you "shall be [her] heart" at the wayfort, which are both at 75 confidence.

Dantalion

Mar 8, 2017
Personally, I don't really care about Ryn that much, but I can see why some folks would dislike her, considering her annoying as hell mechanic that you had no way to avoid in earlier builds if you wanted to use her. And her main set kind of sucks, it's clearly damage based but an AOE black mage outclasses her in every way except for defense, and even then outclassing a black mage in defense isn't exactly a remarkable feat. Her healer set is pretty good though. And her personality might be a coin flip for some people. Some people (like me) dislike the overly shy archetype, others may like it.

That said however, while I understand disliking her, I certainly don't get the Tidal wave of hatred that half the community harbors for her. It's kind of perplexing.
I just want you to know that you have the best username.

Reactions: ShySquare

Lone Wolf115

Oh no, I "misgendered"(not) a fictional character that doesn't exist. Crime of the century.
What you gonna do? Flay me alive with your sharp tounge?
Suggestion, demand doesn't matter your being a asshole stuck back in time or something and I think you need the same thing BEST GIRL RYN went through but with someone worse.
No.
Ban you I guess lmao
Yeah begone thought.
Ahem sorry was in my head I had to get it out.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Suggestion, demand doesn't matter your being a asshole stuck back in time or something and I think you need the same thing BEST GIRL RYN went through but with someone worse.
No.

Yeah begone thought.
Ahem sorry was in my head I had to get it out.
Little late for that don't you think?

Lone Wolf115

Etheryn being a companion after Winter City doesn't sit well with me. Her kingdom is in shambles what with Elthara being the only noble left and the royal coffers being dried out. Etheryn shouldn't be chilling at a bar and going on beat'n'fuck adventures with us where she could potentially be enslaved or killed, she should be devoting all her time with Elthara trying to fix her kingdom and learning how to be a queen. I can't help but see anything less as irresponsible and selfish. The only legit reason she has to continue being in our party is getting Alissa's soul stone to unlock her cage but that's a quest thats better left to the PC as her champion to handle.

Tying her confidence score with being in a relationship also feels poorly thought out. Personally, I want to see her strong enough to move past the abuse she's suffered but having to be her SO to do so is not something that I want to do. Because of that I'm stuck with sad Ryn and well that sucks. Could've locked her romance behind a etheryn.inRelationship flag or something so we could be nice to her while staying friends.

My last gripe is Arona related. In a couple run I was doing with Brienne, it annoyed me that talking to Arona after Right of Conquest made her auto recruit in the party. Felt like it should've been optional like it is with every other companion.
El basically runs the kingdom but Ryn is there when she isn't with (but also at the Frosthound).

Lone Wolf115

I get that, but I still feel she should be with El in learning how to run the kingdom. Just feels like she's prioritizing hanging out with us over helping her people.
Yes but she'll do that when Kas and her "sister" are delt with. I said sister with quotes because well you should know why. (The way she treated her.)

Lone Wolf115

kinda sad there are so few pc virginity lost scenes, I have a save where my pc has their vaginal virginity intact hopping more npcs with those get added so that I get to read all of them, but so far only seen Brint's one
Yeah I wish there was more but by the time you get to Evergreen you're expected to have lost your virginity. I may have missed em but are there Male virginity loss scenes?

WolframL

Feb 12, 2020
The only legit reason she has to continue being in our party is getting Alissa's soul stone to unlock her cage but that's a quest thats better left to the PC as her champion to handle.
There's also, y'know, the sex demon who wants to do to the entire world what she already did to the kingdom, and the mess up in the glacial rift that rather directly impacts her kingdom's interests. In fact, if you take her to the Abyssal Depths and the RNG favors you by procing all her content, the entire thing serves as a very useful lesson for her.
Tying her confidence score with being in a relationship also feels poorly thought out. Personally, I want to see her strong enough to move past the abuse she's suffered but having to be her SO to do so is not something that I want to do.
Ryn is going to fall hard for the Champion regardless of whether you as a player want them to return her feelings. Being the person who saved her from the aforementioned sex demon and helped give her the confidence to do something about her sister will do that sort of thing, y'know.
I may have missed em but are there Male virginity loss scenes?
Evelyn has a special scene for penis virgins, including a variant for if it's too small to interest her. Carmen might have some virginity-themed content whenever she gets expanded on.

Tide Hunter

May 4, 2019
Ryn is going to fall hard for the Champion regardless of whether you as a player want them to return her feelings. Being the person who saved her from the aforementioned sex demon and helped give her the confidence to do something about her sister will do that sort of thing, y'know.
Heck, even if you keep her low confidence, doesn't she also form some weird, twisted stockholm-esque love as the champion abuses her for their pleasure, where she thinks that her only worth is being the champ's cumdump? Or, something like that. I remember hearing/reading about that, though I always push her to high confidence.

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
Etheryn being a companion after Winter City doesn't sit well with me. Her kingdom is in shambles what with Elthara being the only noble left and the royal coffers being dried out. Etheryn shouldn't be chilling at a bar and going on beat'n'fuck adventures with us where she could potentially be enslaved or killed, she should be devoting all her time with Elthara trying to fix her kingdom and learning how to be a queen. I can't help but see anything less as irresponsible and selfish. The only legit reason she has to continue being in our party is getting Alissa's soul stone to unlock her cage but that's a quest thats better left to the PC as her champion to handle.
This is an understandable thing to come to mind in our modern era of ceremonial heads of state and command by telephone, radio, and Zoom call, but I think that Ryn's behavior is a) perfectly normal and appropriate for a ruler in her position and b) perfectly normal and appropriate for her character.

Unless you never let Etheryn out of your party - and hell's bells, even I don't have Ryn in my party full time - she is in the Winter City doing just those things. In fact, with Hethia's (re)introduction, the Festivus Ball, the Wayfort investiture, and Elyon's Wyld Hunt, she's shown getting quite involved in city affairs. And there may be more such events planned; this is, after all, an unfinished game.

Furthermore, like Wolfram says, Ryn just had to free the city from a demon invasion, and the demons are still out there beyond the walls. There is also the succession crisis constituted by Alissa, which you mention. And this is the Bronze Age, an era in which monarchs were warriors-leaders first and managers second (if ever); it's entirely appropriate for someone like Elthara and her budding palace bureaucracy to ensure the smooth conduct of affairs while the queen/princess regent goes off to win a civil war and prevent the apocalypse. Sure, Ryn could theoretically just wave her hand and say "bring me my crown, Champion". Or she could buttress her legitimacy as a new ruler and take it herself - giving herself the, mmm, means to secure the elven succession in the process. Which of those things is Etheryn var Ridell, escape artist and battle princess, more likely to want to do?

Finally, remember: this game canonically takes place over a couple of months, no matter what the day counter looks like. (Spending centuries to have tens of thousands of kits with Kiyoko is something that you can do, because we want people to be able to enjoy their pregnancy fetish content if they so choose, but it is not something that the game will ever acknowledge as happening beyond each individual kit's birth scene.) Etheryn riding off to save the world for several weeks is...actually pretty normal for a monarch on military campaign. It's just happily convenient that her [etheryn.fucked|dearest love|closest friend] is there with her.

And all this is for high-Confidence Ryn, who both knows the right decision to take and possesses the agency to take it. Low-Confidence Ryn will gallivant all over the place as the Champion's personal [pc.hasRealCock|cocksleeve|tongue-slut] whether it's a good idea or not.
Tying her confidence score with being in a relationship also feels poorly thought out. Personally, I want to see her strong enough to move past the abuse she's suffered but having to be her SO to do so is not something that I want to do. Because of that I'm stuck with sad Ryn and well that sucks. Could've locked her romance behind a etheryn.inRelationship flag or something so we could be nice to her while staying friends.
You don't have to fuck her. Give her hugs, support her in conversations, and buy her a dildo/tell her to get it on with Cait and Arona to alleviate her blue balls. She'll still care for you deeply - even love you - but as a friend.

I think that the only content for high-Con Ryn that assumes you're emotionally involved without having fucked is Will's surprise hug scene, and that might end up getting gated by sex at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.