Your experience with Job System so far

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Bearing in mind WIP status of FoE and everything in it, I still think that it would be a decent idea to have a thread like this. Us munchkins need a gathering place after all.
My thoughts so far:

1. Seduction: Has a decent number of available abilities and gear already, can be quite effective. However, due to the current roster of companions, there is no way to have more than one Seduction focused character in your party without gimping someone's progression. Can't wait to have Cveta join our merry band of misfits permanently. Speaking of Cveta, her unique job has a very odd quirk that can potentially limit its usefulness considerably - it doesn't provide a single way for her to raise LP of an ally or herself.
  2. Black Magic: A lot of potential for cool shiz there, obviously. However, due to value of raw stats you gain from items becoming far less important past level 10 or so, gear for magic users seems lacking. Not having items capable of modifying spell damage like weapons do physical attack value, in addition to casting times, makes mages strictly less potent as damage dealers. Status effects on spells are fun, but they rarely proc since you have to make an additional to-hit roll, usually with a terrible modifier and a lot of spells simply don't have them. Focusing on those can actually provide an identity and a role for black magic users if they won't ever become damage powerhouses.
  3. White Magic: Super viable and valuable, doubly so for supporting fighters. No options for buffing stats crucial to the mages or seduction folk though. Same issues with gear as black mages, but since heals doesn't have to deal with magic defense, it's far less prominent.
  4. Physical: Strongest line so far. Rogues suffer a bit from the lack of back-stab-compatible status effects that you can reliably apply to bosses but have decent damage output anyway; Rangers have some nifty tricks, but eat a lot of SP and don't have as much damage potentials as other two tier 2 physical jobs; Bruisers just wreck everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I can't really offer much as I quit the game out of sheer boredom.

Alright, that's not entirely accurate. I did play as a Fighter through all the content available at the time (which I believe was the Lagon stuff and Dryad), and found the stats- and job-system quite overdeveloped, so to speak. For such an early build, there's a lot of work put into it, almost too much in comparison to content. (I still remember alot of placeholders, for instance with Kiai masturbation) Not being a fan of party-based RPGs, I found the system quite difficult to adjust to after having played both CoC and TiTS.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
inb4 that whole "skill system needs to be reworked" thread that was quite popular
-Mages are supposed to be squishy artillery that nuke everything until they run dry; it's their calling. Here they excel at nothing. Cast times for magic AOE skills kill their usefulness even more, since I may as well use a melee aoe that gets modifiers from equipment.
-Triple Attack wrecks everything.
-The lust tree is very WIP; currently it's only use is to build an enemy's lust to try and prevent them from acting. May as well kill them instead. I see potential over the horizon though.
-The healing tree is good, and has an integral buff that allows for low-level runs.

All in all I agree with Nik.

Sourpuss Woider could try some actual feedback rather than blanket "I don't like it"s

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Ohh to make post but not say I like/dislike it...interesting feat ^^

Yeah I do alos noticed that magic not have enough *Omph factor* here. Mostly magic skills are damage ones with really few that buff/heal (well we not have much classes that could justify tons of buffs/debuffs/heals) but somehow I not tend use much magic if it's not some boss fight. As others noticed I do feel like for now Physical jobs are easiest way to run throu game. Yeah MC can became walking lust cannon or magic machinegun but it not bringing as much fun as one would expect (yeah well it all still can be tuned up).

And well I not feel Triple Attack wrecks all ME :p If I would need to pick attack(s) that wreck it would be Frenzy (well 5 hits is better than 3 right - I know user is hurt but...at later lvl's that amount of dmg to user is soooooo tiny especialy with Kiai in party) or Ground Slam (I just like that skill even if it now having cd and not always I can throw it at the enemies).

Well for been truly studborn I could say heresy that whole game could be passed with using basic attack (and tons of luck and grind to beat those harder ones fight effortlesly since sky is the limit in lvl cap territory ^^) but all jobs and skills were added to make us use them...sometimes at least.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
-The lust tree is very WIP; currently it's only use is to build an enemy's lust to try and prevent them from acting. May as well kill them instead. I see potential over the horizon though.

On top of preventing them from acting, high Lust of your enemies is also supposed to make them more susceptible to a bunch of things and used as a fuel for debuffs.

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
On top of preventing them from acting, high Lust of your enemies is also supposed to make them more susceptible to a bunch of things and used as a fuel for debuffs.

That sounds usefull, but not as much as turning your party into physical powerhouses and punching your opponent untill they go down.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015

Are any of those debuffs currently in game though? It does sound promising.

That sounds usefull, but not as much as turning your party into physical powerhouses and punching your opponent untill they go down.

Too true for most rpgs, where buffs/debuffs are useless fodder skills. We'll have to see whether they stack up or not. As for just grinding into a monstrous auto-attacking assailment, I always thought FoE would establish some form of diminishing returns on grinding, but it's never been much of a deterrent... (actually hasn't been very noticeable, if it exists at all)

Edit: Just took a peek, and leveling becomes a crawl once in the late 20's. Guess I never thought about it. Ah, this isn't counting the dragon of course; I rolled my save back after beating it.

Patrick R. Key

Nov 20, 2015
Well the thing that actually makes magic>physical attacks imo, is that magic does not cancel the effects of the sleep or confuse spells. This really helps when fighting stronger enemies like the drake. Because of this, I think the game has good balance between physical vs magical attacks.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Are any of those debuffs currently in game though? It does sound promising.

Weakness, but currently only Cveta has it.

Speaking of Cveta, her unique job has a very odd quirk that can potentially limit its usefulness considerably - it doesn't provide a single way for her to raise LP of an ally or herself.

This is by design. One of Cveta's tier 2 jobs gives her the ability to convert LP into SP. You could train other seduction jobs to get something that generates LP, but she won't have it by default.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Weakness, but currently only Cveta has it.

This is by design. One of Cveta's tier 2 jobs gives her the ability to convert LP into SP. You could train other seduction jobs to get something that generates LP, but she won't have it by default.

For some reason, I was 100% sure that she would refuse to become a Courtesan. Probably because, despite its name and ties to future Jobs like Bard or Dancer, current Courtesan kit just feels super vulgar.Show Reply

Edit:Just Rut really. I like the idea of a skill that deals physical damage based on Lust Attack, but it just makes me scratch my head every time.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
For some reason, I was 100% sure that she would refuse to become a Courtesan. Probably because, despite its name and ties to future Jobs like Bard or Dancer, current Courtesan kit just feels super vulgar.

There will be other abilities that do that, presumably.

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Edit:Just Rut really. I like the idea of a skill that deals physical damage based on Lust Attack, but it just makes me scratch my head every time.

Pressure Point: Pleasure to Pain: Drops target's lust to 0 and deals phys damage based on consumed lust. <<something like that maybe?

Oh, if Rut is damage based on your lust, the skill would make sense though, wouldn't it? The more turned-on you are, the harder you hump. Jack up your lust and it becomes a pelvic thrust of doom.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Pressure Point: Pleasure to Pain: Drops target's lust to 0 and deals phys damage based on consumed lust. <<something like that maybe?

Oh, if Rut is damage based on your lust, the skill would make sense though, wouldn't it? The more turned-on you are, the harder you hump. Jack up your lust and it becomes a pelvic thrust of doom.

The first idea, while describing an awesome skill, seems like something more suitable for a Physical/Seduction hybrid Job* than a pure Seduction one.

IMO, the gameplay role 'Rut' has (basic attack that uses character's Lust attack value to do physical damage) is fine. Making the damage scale based on user's Lust would certainly make for a nice risk-reward system, but maybe it'd be more than a tier 1 Job should give. The only problem I have with Rut is its name and description. It's hard for me to imagine a character humping people hard enough to do more damage than a sword swing. Maybe change it to some kind of sexual bait-and-swing move?

* I really hope that such classes would be added at some point.Tantric Monks FTW.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Okie dokie. Physical attacks too powerful? Let's design a dungeon with all incorporeal enemies completely immune to slash, crush, pierce.

Have fun!

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Let's design a dungeon with all incorporeal enemies completely immune to slash, crush, pierce.

As long those enemies would have decent lvl's I up to see such dung ;)

Otherwise I already can see ppl that grinded magic jobs on their party easy running throu this dung :(

But where in game lore could we stuff in such dung? So far with places we visit hard to explain putting there entrance unless it's dung we send to like Bull Tower. If not after adding Graveyard it would fit to place entrance to such dung there ^^

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
As long those enemies would have decent lvl's I up to see such dung ;)

Otherwise I already can see ppl that grinded magic jobs on their party easy running throu this dung :(

But where in game lore could we stuff in such dung? So far with places we visit hard to explain putting there entrance unless it's dung we send to like Bull Tower. If not after adding Graveyard it would fit to place entrance to such dung there ^^

Ormael, I don't think dung will ever catch on as an abbreviation for dungeon. Dung is a synonym for shit.

And Observer's reply was feeling pretty sarcastic, not that I wouldn't appreciate a dungeon like that. But it'd do nothing to solve what seems to be the consensus of the thread thus far.

The Observer

Scientist
FoE Mod
Aug 27, 2015
Counter is already in the game, we just need to make use of it more.

Disarm is going to be a fun status.

There are going to be more fun things down the line when you make contact with an enemy. Think pokemon. Contact moves tend to be more powerful or reliable, but also have drawbacks.

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
Okie dokie. Physical attacks too powerful? Let's design a dungeon with all incorporeal enemies completely immune to slash, crush, pierce.

Have fun!

Ventax? aren't many of the encounters only mildly phased by physical attack?

as for Counter isn't  the problem getting the opponent to attack at the right time on the right character (Provoke anyone?)

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Counter is already in the game, we just need to make use of it more.

Disarm is going to be a fun status.

There are going to be more fun things down the line when you make contact with an enemy. Think pokemon. Contact moves tend to be more powerful or reliable, but also have drawbacks.

So, I'd like to to clarify if the current effectiveness of magic attacks is what ideal 'SP-to-damage power curve' should look like in your opinion? In that case, those counters, phys. resistances, disarming moves, etc. would have to be pretty commonplace and quite potent to balance those 2x+ modifiers.

Stuffwar

Feb 11, 2016
Status effects feel a little too hard to inflict. Any enemy that's strong enough that would be worthwhile to status rather than only considering raw damage is too resistant to them. Poison in particular from Mystic should be instant cast. It has a charge up time to inflict poison and only inflicts said poison damage on the afflicted target's turn. On top of that, it fails a lot so it's generally a waste of time to bother with it. The only time I've found it useful was against Centauress for saving SP since she has a good sum of HP and it's fairly reliable. Raw damage tends to be the way to go in almost every situation I've found myself in and Triple Attack is particularly ridiculous. Extreme instant cast damage.