Writing for TiTS

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
So. I'm a writer. I like to write. I write a lot. I'm a professional writer who gets paid to write. And I love the game and those who put so much work in to it, I've been following Fen since the earliest stages CoC and really appreciate all the work that he and the team put in to the games for us to enjoy. And like a lot of people there are certain things in the game that I feel need to be expanded or added but I know that those who work on the game have a lot on their plate and its pretty entitled to just go in a say "i want this!" and expect them to drop everything to give it to you. Which is why I'd like to help, I have some ideas that I think are cool and that a lot of people would enjoy and I'm completely willing to write the scenes for them.... unfortunately my skills with coding could be described as rudimentary if we are being generous, I can read it a little bit and mostly follow a template but that's about it and I don't know how difficult working something like the things I have in mind in would be which is why i'm making this thread to see if that is something that anyone would be willing to work with.

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
So. I'm a writer. I like to write. I write a lot. I'm a professional writer who gets paid to write. And I love the game and those who put so much work in to it, I've been following Fen since the earliest stages CoC and really appreciate all the work that he and the team put in to the games for us to enjoy. And like a lot of people there are certain things in the game that I feel need to be expanded or added but I know that those who work on the game have a lot on their plate and its pretty entitled to just go in a say "i want this!" and expect them to drop everything to give it to you. Which is why I'd like to help, I have some ideas that I think are cool and that a lot of people would enjoy and I'm completely willing to write the scenes for them.... unfortunately my skills with coding could be described as rudimentary if we are being generous, I can read it a little bit and mostly follow a template but that's about it and I don't know how difficult working something like the things I have in mind in would be which is why i'm making this thread to see if that is something that anyone would be willing to work with.

You just have to know what the parser does and your variables need to be intuitive enough for the coders to understand how you want them to trigger.

You should definitely read this thread, specially the Parser Gdoc and the How to not make Gedan hate you GDoc in there. In general once you get the hang of it it becomes pretty easy to make a presentable GDoc.

If you post GDoc in here I could give it a good look and leave some comments/edit suggestions that would correct your formatting(I've got pretty good at it). I could also throw in a few examples if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You're not supposed to code your own content.

Read everything in this thread.  If you need more guidance, look for the thread of someone with a purple name, copy one of our documents, and use it as a template for your work.

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
Alrighty, cool. A good bit of what I had in mind involves expanding already existing content... That probably complicates things what with them being someone else's project...

Lashcharge

Aug 27, 2015
Alrighty, cool. A good bit of what I had in mind involves expanding already existing content... That probably complicates things what with them being someone else's project...

You should probably ask that person if they don't oppose such content.

It would also help if you told us what do you want to do.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016

Just ask the original author, or if they're not around anymore ask Savin. In a lot of cases, if the original author isn't around or has no plans to do anything else with their content, there's not a problem with you expanding on it.

Just for the record, though, the stuff we were talking about over in the NT thread is probably way too big as a starter project, though since you have experience as a writer you might be able to handle it better. Just know your limits and don't bite off more than you can chew.

Wsan

Scientist
Creator
Jan 8, 2016

You're really going to want to provide examples of your writing in the context of TiTS before you take on existing content.

princezilla

Aug 24, 2016
Just ask the original author, or if they're not around anymore ask Savin. In a lot of cases, if the original author isn't around or has no plans to do anything else with their content, there's not a problem with you expanding on it.

Just for the record, though, the stuff we were talking about over in the NT thread is probably way too big as a starter project, though since you have experience as a writer you might be able to handle it better. Just know your limits and don't bite off more than you can chew.

Nah that not developed enough yet to work on and I'd definitely want to test the waters before I committed to something that far reaching and complicated as it would have to track a fuckload of different things and involve a multipart quest in order to have it feel realistic. 

You're really going to want to provide examples of your writing in the context of TiTS before you take on existing content.

Thats fair, what would you suggest? Is there something particular people kinda want but no one has time to write?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Nah that not developed enough yet to work on and I'd definitely want to test the waters before I committed to something that far reaching and complicated as it would have to track a fuckload of different things and involve a multipart quest in order to have it feel realistic. 

Thats fair, what would you suggest? Is there something particular people kinda want but no one has time to write?

An enemy encounter's a good place to start, as it forces you to learn to write sex scenes.  You could also start with an NPC whose content centers around a particular fetish of yours that you feel isn't represented enough.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
Since this is here, one thing that wasn't entirely clear to me: once you think your submission is ready to go, are you supposed to alert someone to your topic on the submission subforum, or...? What's the actual submission process?

And if it's an idea you think should be run by someone first how is that generally done?

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
It;s probably best if you make a new thread with your google doc in plain view. Descriptive title and short intro are recommended.

If you think your stuff is good enough to be coded with minimal editing you could notify Savin or Gedan or Couch or something to give them a heads up. If you're not done and just want some feedback you could consider posting it anyway. The forum has their moments of usefulness when they're not pushing for endless feature creep.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
Every month we get together and vote on what content gave us the biggest boner and award positions as such.

K

Krynh

Spoiler: I don't actually know who does what around here.

Red names (and the yellow of Jacques) are the people who code and write for the game. Blue names are those who have written for the game.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Red names (and the yellow of Jacques) are the people who code and write for the game. Blue names are those who have written for the game.

I'm pretty sure that Admin names are red, Ted, being the only Mod have an orange name, and Jacques' name is in green. Purple people are the creative lot that don't dabble into the coding magic, with the exception of Wsan.

K

Krynh

I'm pretty sure that Admin names are red, Ted, being the only Mod have an orange name, and Jacques' name is in green. Purple people are the creative lot that don't dabble into the coding magic, with the exception of Wsan.

Yes. Purple. I don't know why I wrote blue. Admin names are Red but the only admins are fen, savin & gedan.

it's green is it for Jacques? This monitor never displays the correct colours.

Last edited:

PyrateHyena

Oct 13, 2015

Wsan and Etis.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016
It;s probably best if you make a new thread with your google doc in plain view. Descriptive title and short intro are recommended.

If you think your stuff is good enough to be coded with minimal editing you could notify Savin or Gedan or Couch or something to give them a heads up. If you're not done and just want some feedback you could consider posting it anyway. The forum has their moments of usefulness when they're not pushing for endless feature creep.

This is assuming someone's posted a topic with their document and everything, I mean. What I was wondering was whether someone just regularly goes over everything posted there or if a particular someone needs to be talked to - just generally what the step between feeling like it's ready to be sent off and getting sorted into the "stuff to be coded in (maybe)" pile is.

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
It also helps a LOT if you use the @ commands to call Savin, Ted or Gedan's attention to the thread. I'd generally recommend against summoning Fenoxo all of them are nose-to-the-grindstone, but GedSavin tend to field a lot of this kind of stuff so that Fen can keep his focus.

K

Krynh

Dont "@" ted though. He's not a coder and I don't think he'd appreciate spurious notifications 

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Dont "@" ted though. He's not a coder and I don't think he'd appreciate spurious notifications 

Naw he's probably give you a profanity laced response before going on a warning spree on people if they did that. Everyone fears Teds hammer.

razorrozar

Aug 21, 2016
It also helps a LOT if you use the @ commands to call Savin, Ted or Gedan's attention to the thread. I'd generally recommend against summoning Fenoxo all of them are nose-to-the-grindstone, but GedSavin tend to field a lot of this kind of stuff so that Fen can keep his focus.

I keep accidentally calling Jacques into my project thread because my phone won't let me delete the notification that it's got saved in the Reply field even though I've already posted it twice thanks a lot IPB

OnyxDrakkenblade

Jul 1, 2016
I keep accidentally calling Jacques into my project thread because my phone won't let me delete the notification that it's got saved in the Reply field even though I've already posted it twice thanks a lot IPB

Get your phone fixed then :p In the meantime. Jaques is awesome and understanding. It'll all get straightened out.