Which game represents your childhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
I had it and even BEFORE then computer would start to overheat. I honestly think it was the whole open world thing and how much detail is in the graphics. I might be one of the only people I know who didn't really like having the whole sims world be open! (An open neighborhood however? I long to not have a loading screen to walk next door but I'll take too much waiting over can't use create a sim without everything lagging out and crashing)
I'm fine with the open world but like...
God it makes me wish I got an actual gaming laptop over a shitty 4GB HP one so that it can be powerful enough to play it on higher graphics x'.x

Reactions: Keet

badbreadpuns

Dec 3, 2015
badbreadpuns.tumblr.com
Ocarina of Time! It’s the first game I remember playing. I loved it, even if half of the monsters scared me lol.

other games I loved: FF7, SotN, Pokemon (first 2 gens), Spyro.

Reactions: Viridian

NekoChica

Mar 27, 2021
Lol. I thought the title meant what kind of game was the best depiction of my childhood. I was going to answer Fallout 1+2.

I think my childhood game was mostly Minecraft, tho.

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
I grew up on survival horror. Resident evil 2 was my first introduction to technology period. My parents never actually let me play it but did let me watch. Granted I mostly watched them fumble around and my mom get mad because my dad used the game shark to unlock all items. Including all the damn keys. They pretty much played a version where they had to figure out the proper order to do stuff without breaking the game. Resident Evil 1 director's cut, REremake 1, 0, 2, 3, Code Veronica X, and 4 where a major part of my childhood and are why I love horror. I played the shit out of Outbreak File 2. It was janky and the AI was shit but damn if it wasn't charming and full of potential. I fought that mutant zombie elephant so many times.

Shoutout to Silent Hill 1-4. They weren't as memorable as Resident Evil but still made an impression. I even finally played 1 and 3 last year. Those games nailed horror, especially sound design. No cheap jump scares, none of that "Oh you're defenseless and must hide" crap, and certainly no boring monster designs. Just a dense fog, the sounds of twisted industrial equipment in the distance, and that gnawing fear at the back of the mind. All that made for a truly wonderful experience. Probably why I hated that indie horror game period.

I also played Tomb Raider Legends when I was starting puberty. Yeah. Lara Croft was definitely my first fictional crush. Very memorable. Damn camera angle, always focusing on that dress instead of the action. Totally out of my control. Is it weird that I prefer Reboot Lara in both design and personality? She's not exactly stable after all and kills without remorse, but for some reason I am really into her.

But through all of that, there is one game that I played first. My first time experiencing fear, as childish as it is. My first game I ever played over and over. And the first game that made me realize I'm extremely arachnophobic. A little known game called Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2. To this day I can still quote Sargent Hawk's intro speech and the Bravo Company Commandoes' respones word for word. I remember playing the PS2 remake and being shocked when Tannenburg spoke. I remember Brigitte Blue. For reasons. I remember being scared shitless of Plastro's shock trooper toys. I even say "Party time" and "Time to crash their party" occasionally.

Games have had a hug impact on my life. From instilling a love of horror, to a love of storytelling and worldbuilding, to just plain horniness. I definitely shouldn't have watched those games and am desensitized to gore in games (and IRL but for different reasons) that it doesn't affect me. I still get emotionally invested though. Fucking Wesker and his stupid sunglasses that he wore IN DOORS AND AT NIGHT! But those are definitely the games that affected me the most. There's more, like Devil May Cry 3 and Evil Dead: Regeneration, but I think I've typed out enough :D.

Gothamson

Apr 13, 2018
Megaman Battle Network series, especially 5 Protoman. As well as Fire Emblem. I stan for Blazing Sword even in these trying times.

Reactions: EldritchPen
Status
Not open for further replies.