Which game represents your childhood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigas_Magus

Sep 19, 2018
In an old, forgotten codex.
Title.

That game you played in your youth that defined a lot of what you like today. Or perhaps it managed to change your perspective on some things. Maybe even a game that was able to pull at your heart-strings. Something that you can recall upon to bring back fond memories. What is it? Also, feel free to explain why if you wish to do so.

For me: Secret of Mana [SNES].
My cousin and I used to love playing this together and liked a lot of fantasy-based games. As a result, we even began to come up with our own little novel together (although being so young, it never came to fruition). To this day, I usually attempt to do a play through once every so often.

A Random Guy

Sep 13, 2015
The game of my childhood was Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. This game scared the shit out of me as a kid but was still fun as hell. I’m still waiting for Ubisoft to grow a pair of balls and reboot this masterpiece

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Dragon Warrior 1 aka Dragon Quest.

I didn't understand the concept of leveled areas so I spent months grinding at the starting area until I was near max level before setting out to play the rest of the game.

Slab Bulkhead

Creator
Oct 10, 2015
Final Fantasy VI (back when it was Final Fantasy III), and Chrono Trigger. The JRPGs of my teen years. I must have sunk more hours into those two games than anything I've played since.

General Nuisance

Sep 26, 2018
The internet, duh
It's a little cliche, but was definitely Pokemon. Specifically Pokemon Emerald. God, I loved that game. I would play it day in and day out. Thinking back on it, I may or may not have had a problem...

Too bad my GameBoy basically committed suicide after a year or two, and refused to charge ever again.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Phantasy Star on the SMS. Huge game world, tons to see and do. Finishing the game was a bitch, though.

Grimoire

Jun 15, 2018
Florida
www.patreon.com
What got me into writing books: Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Ages. I literally wrote the entire thing by hand and in detail just so i can read it to myself and maybe play with it as a guidebook. Became my first cheat sheet and walk-through at ten years old in middle school.

My first mature game that really made me inspired and deeply thought provoking: Deus Ex: Invisible Wars. So many ways to play, so many opinions of life and the character development was well done and got me into my favorite band: The Kidney Thieves and made me learn about philosophy and exploring books i'd never touch otherwise. Nostalgia ...

Reactions: Viridian

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
Well... that's a lot of games to think about... specially due lots of memories
we, i say we because basically me and my friends spend whole weekends playing together in the house of one of us so, we always had tons of multiplayer games.
like Mario Kart, South Park Rally, Crash Team Racing, Vigilante 8 and 8.2, Star Wars Demolition, Muppet Race Mania , Disney Race Magic Tour

Rpg Wise?
FF8 was great, specially because when i was playing i was also in a pre-teen / teen age so i guess could relate more to those dumb characters? There's so much Teen Drama
But suikoden 2 was like the game that even to this day i find the story just amazing and deep.
I probably played that game over hundreds of times trying to solve how to get the best ending( the old times with no internet for game guides and magazines only covered big games when making guides)
Managed to get it few years later during a replay.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
I suppose Golden Axe or Streets of Rage, maybe Sonic the Hedgehog.

Roll on the Sega Mega Drive!

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
There are a few I can think of:

The classic Sonic trilogy: There are no words to describe my love for the original sonic trilogy. It's what made me love sonic and what would eventually lead be to becoming a furry (in a sense). Sonic was my childhood hero, i aspired to be like him. Cool, brave, and able to stand up to any bully not matter how big. Sonic adventure can also be counted here.

The original Halo trilogy: thess games taught me that you could have a good story in a video game, and also informed my drawing style for years to come. I just love the aesthetics of halo 1, 2, and 3. Halo 2 also instilled in me my love of aliens. The elites were and always will be my favorite alien race in all of gaming history.

Last edited:

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Wow, that is a huge question.... If I had to pick just one, in spite of all the wonderful games I've played in my life, that have changed me forever, I would choose Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. It's the first game I can remember playing that wasn't Spider-Man or Mortal Kombat, and it was AMAZING. My first RPG adventure, I would've been just older than 7, and I was in love. It also helped me realize that I wanted to be a girl, since I could run around as a pretty lady.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
I've played a lot of games across a lot of systems, so it's pretty hard to pick one. Instead I'll go with a 3-way tie between Super Mario 64, Banjo and Kazooie, and Pokemon Snap. I didn't have any Nintendo console growing up, so whenever I flew alone or was stuck in the hospital I'd take advantage of the chance to play those games as much as possible. They made some of the worst moments of my childhood bearable and probably kept me away from some pretty severe depression.

Last edited:

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
I have very fond memories playing co-op Snow Bros on the nes with my mom. Otherwise Banjo Kazooie and Starfox 64. Pretty sure I still have the tape with mario getting electrocuted. No vcr to play it though.

Preacher

Nov 22, 2016
The most holiest of grounds
It would be a toss-up between the Jak and/or Daxter series, Spyro, and Crash bandicoot. I would say final fantasy as well but they were never my games so I couldn't play them for long.

And the Gothic series. They were brilliant.

Last edited:
K

Kokayi005

CHRONO CROSS.
Enough said.
That shaped how I look at RPG and why I cared so much for eccentric or unique personalities and accents with a cast.

Grizzabella

Aug 8, 2019
The Magic of Scheherazade

This NES game was the very first RPG I ever played.
Amnesia,evil wizards,demons,furries,time travel and a amazing soundtrack that had me humming some of the tunes for years to come.

The gameplay combined Legend of Zelda style solo combat with Final Fantasy style turn based party battles.

It changed what I looked for in a videogame and is a game I can keep going back to play every few years and enjoy it almost as much as the first time I played it.

Keet

Jun 15, 2018
Oklahoma
The first games I ever actually played myself were all Pokemon games. I don't really remember playing the first ones but I remember my sister had Pokemon Yellow,and the first one i can actually remember playing was Pokemon Gold. I even got to skip school just to get the game,a gameboy color, and a bag for the gameboy and all it's accessories! I had that clear purple one.

Before that I used to watch my uncle play games, most memorably the Resident Evil and Metal Gear games. There was also Final Fantasy but I never could get into those for some reason, so I never tried playing them when I was older.

TheShepard256

Though I wasn't exactly a child when I started playing it (I think I was probably 12 or 13), I'd say Mass Effect (which shouldn't be a surprise, given my username). It formed my opinions on what an RPG should be: story-driven, with a hero (or antihero) who isn't just a 'blank slate' and whose choices (as selected by the player) shape the world around them to a not insignificant extent, along with their companions, each with their own backstory, goals and motivations, some of whom are romanceable. Most of why I love TiTS and CoC2 so much (aside from the sexiness, of course) is because of how they're similar to the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series in those ways.

Styx

Aug 26, 2015
Final Fantasy, from 1,2,5,6 to 10. My uncle was a massive FF fan that had both the original of 1 and 2 and also the playstation ports of 1, 2 , 5, and 6 with the PC big 7. I remember watching him play all the damn time when I was a kid and being a complete failure of a navigator.

10 was my first FF game I acutely beat without help. I sorta dropped the series after 12.

Reactions: Keet

Wheatly

Dec 11, 2019
Gunna have to go with Dynasty Warriors 3.

Nothing filled me with more joy than to rush around as a one man army, trashing hundreds of enemies and fighting off generals to keep my own forces morale high. That and taking the effort to find my favorite characters best weapons so I can go toe to toe with the big bad Lu Bu himself. Still listen to the soundtrack in my car when I head to work.

Dmoss

Jan 20, 2020
There's a ton that I remember playing and enjoying in childhood. Like others have already said, it feels impossible to choose just one.

Keeping it short though, I think the definitive game for me would be the first Fable. It was the first that I remember really getting sucked into and really, for lack of a better word because I've been on Twitter too long, 'vibing' with the world and characters.I think that's about the time I realized that I'm a slut for RPGs and the like; It gave me a genre to delve into. That's also about the time when fiction and fantasy were becoming more important to me as a form of escape. I already read a ton, but having this new avenue opened to me by this game where my choices seemed to have influence, and I could align my gameplay to different types of characters that weren't just handed to me as a default, I think, helped guide me into finding some of the games and people that are still so very prominent in my life.

Reactions: Keet

Taboo-Sho

Sep 9, 2015
To damn many. My life was about games snice I live rural so games where kind of the best entertainment for me.

Succubi Games

Nov 30, 2020
www.patreon.com
Parasite Eve!
First game I played where the protagonist was a strong sexy female. Not to mention I got it for Christmas and it takes place during the holidays. Still play it every year during Christmas time.

Rear Admiral Chimera

Jan 12, 2017
I started playing games before I could establish long lasting memories (was told I played games since I was 2 years old). Other than the usual suspects like Super Mario Bros. or Sonic, I'd have to say Decap Attack and Altered Beast were one of the first games I remember playing (even though I played old Atari games like River Raid or Galaxian). After those, it would have to be the Shining series, Sword of Vermillion, and Crusader of Centy.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Etvideogamecover.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.