What does the defense stat on armor do exactly?

Azureink

Feb 12, 2017
So the wiki is kind of vague on what the defense stat does in the game. Also fortification. So what is the mechanical benefit of these stats in layman's terms? Does the defense stat go against the opponent's accuracy stat? Does fortification give you damage mitigation?

Chiromishi

Aug 9, 2017
Defense is a flat subtraction from the enemy's damage (I could be wrong though, I believe it does), while fortification just gives you more health.

Ch0w

Apr 12, 2017
So the wiki is kind of vague on what the defense stat does in the game. Also fortification. So what is the mechanical benefit of these stats in layman's terms? Does the defense stat go against the opponent's accuracy stat? Does fortification give you damage mitigation?
i think the only place where DEFENSE works against accuracy is on DnD and some other tabletop games, otherwise most of time defense stat usually is to reduce damage in overall (in some cases only physical damage).

Zombiqaz

Nov 16, 2016
i think the only place where DEFENSE works against accuracy is on DnD and some other tabletop games, otherwise most of time defense stat usually is to reduce damage in overall (in some cases only physical damage).

IIRC Diablo 1 and 2 use armour as something that decreases enemy accuracy.

Still, some games use defence as a straight subtraction, while other times a given defence value means that a character blocks a particular % of the damage taken and it is not always clear which mechanic a game is using.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

Defense is damage reduction. Incoming Health damage is reduced by an amount equal to your total Defense score. Note that Defense does not mitigate damage done to Shields, or to Lust.

Fortification grants bonus Health. 1 Fort = 1 Bonus Health.

Reactions: Xanfaus

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Say, if an enemy makes a kinetic attack, of 50, and I have 50% of kinetic resistance, and 9 of defense:

50-50%=25
25-9=16

I'm gonna suffer 16 instead of 50. And without any kinetic resistance

50-9=41

41, but only to my HP. If defense takes no effect on shields, that makes it much less useful than general resistence. For example, if I had an armor with 2 defense but a 50% kinetic resistence, I should pick it over one with 9 defense and 20% kinetic resistence bonus, since:

50-50%=25
25-2=23

50-20%=40
40-9=31

it'll give me more overall protection.

Last edited:

Pumping Lemma

Oct 31, 2017
No, your armor's Resistances also do not apply to Shield damage. That's why your Shields have their own Resistances.
The Codex is currently displaying the sum of all resistances (from armor, shield, and others like accessories). It is rather misleading then, as this "total resistance" stat is never used in game.

Do you think the codex could be changed to display "total shield resistance" and "total armor resistance"?

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
The Codex is currently displaying the sum of all resistances (from armor, shield, and others like accessories). It is rather misleading then, as this "total resistance" stat is never used in game.

Do you think the codex could be changed to display "total shield resistance" and "total armor resistance"?

That would probably be a pretty good change, maybe one @Jacques00 could make.

(Or an "Average Resistance" maybe, if the above wouldn't work)
(This is also assuming I'm not just talking out my ass and the mechanics changed at some point)

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
No, your armor's Resistances also do not apply to Shield damage. That's why your Shields have their own Resistances.

Fair enough. But the point saying that a high percentage of resistance is better than a couple more of points of defense is still appliable.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Does your accessory, like the Lightning Duster, apply resistance to shield damage or just health damage?

Last edited:

Coalsack

Aug 28, 2015
Speaking of, shouldn't the Lightning Duster prevent you from getting shield damage during Uveto storms?

Zombiqaz

Nov 16, 2016
Does your accessory, like the Lightning Duster, apply resistance to shield damage or just health damage?

I went and tested this (with the Salamander Coat against Dr. Lash), and it seems that accessory damage resistance only applies to your health damage.

Speaking of, shouldn't the Lightning Duster prevent you from getting shield damage during Uveto storms?

Since your accessories don't protect your shields, perhaps not.