What am I doing wrong with this combat build?

Rezz

Sep 24, 2016
I started with the Smuggler class and chose the following perks:

Agility - Increases evasion granted via items by 50%, or provides a flat 10% evasion boost, whichever is higher.
Alpha Strike - Allows your first attack in any combat to be a critical hit.
Cloak and Dagger - Gain a small bonus to evasion for one turn after landing a basic attack hit (melee or ranged).
Disarming Shot - Grants the ability to disarm your target, rendering them unable to wield a weapon for four combat rounds.
Escape Artist - Converts the chance to escape from grapples to use your Reflexes stat rather than Physique. Conveys an additional minor chance to escape.
Gas Grenade - Grants the ability to throw a grenade designed to emit a lust-inducing smog. Deals lust damage to all enemies in combat.
Heroic Reserves - Raises your maximum energy reserves by 33, allowing you to use more special attacks before tiring.
Hidden Loot - Increases inventory size by two slots.
Improved Agility - Increases your evasion by an additional 10%.
Leap Up - Allows you to easily and freely leap to your feet after being knocked prone.
Lucky Breaks - Grants you an additional 10% evasion chance.
Mag Binders - Grants the ability to throw a set of magnetic, self-guided restraints at the enemy, potentially stunning them for 1-3 rounds and dealing light shocking damage.
Second Attack - Allows you to make a second, low-accuracy attack whenever you perform a melee attack.
Sharp Eyes - Decreases the time required to recover from blinding effects, reducing their duration by one combat round.
Shoot First - When using a ranged attack during the first round of combat, gain an additional attack.
Smuggled Stimulant - Allows you to gain 25 energy per round for 3 rounds, once per combat encounter.

* Shields:70
* HP: 168
* Energy: 133

Passive Stats
* Level: 10
* Physique: 22
* Reflexes: 28
* Aim: 30
* Intelligence: 25
* Willpower: 30
* Libido: 0

Equip:
Essyra Greatspear + Modded Arc Caster
Insulated Coat
Salamander Class Shield Generator

The idea was to keep hitting critical with Sneak Attack and it has gotten me through everything up to Uveto.

However all of the new content is too difficult for this build.

I can't beat the Frostwyrm (Uveto), I can't beat the War Queen (Myrellion), I can't even beat the Void Juggernaut of the U.G.C. Peacekeeper quest (Tavros).

Is there some better equipment that I missed, or is this part intended to be really difficult atm?

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
I don't know what the War Queen is, but the other two are supposed to be a little challenging. You may want to max out your stats. At level 10, you can have it all have 50. iirc, you can do most of your stats at the gym on new texas (willpower requires not being a taur) and Syri can max your intelligence.

Did you get the reaper shield from the princess Nyrea? I'm not any good at optimizing gear, but I think that's better for Uveto than the salamander. Idk, though.

ScarletteKnight

Dec 19, 2015
Personally I think it looks like you need to focus on Melee or Ranged, it makes you much stronger. If you focus on Ranged I recommend the Hirudo Devourer, because you won't be able to die as a Smuggler.

Either way you need to make sure you don't try to Stun/Blind the Milodan as he will just get stronger, and make sure you stay warm on Uveto if you don't have a Ranged build with Hirudo.

And I don't know if Disarming Shot is actually any good.

Edit: Auto-incorrect.

Last edited:

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Yeah the problem is your build sucks.

You need to maximize either Aim or Physique to do respectable damage and hit reliably.

Reactions: orochi02

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
Man, I didn't realize Horizon Devourer was an auto correct thing and thought I missed out on a new weapon with a neat name. Gonna go listen to Serpent Devouring the Horizon to make myself feel better.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Personally I think it looks like you need to focus on Melee or Ranged, it makes you much stronger. If you focus on Ranged I recommend the Hirudo Devourer, because you won't be able to die as a Smuggler.

Either way you need to make sure you don't try to Stun/Blind the Milodan as he will just get stronger, and make sure you bundle up on Uveto if you don't have a Ranged build with Hirudo.

And I don't know if Disarming Shot is actually any good.

Edit: Auto-incorrect.
bundling up on uveto is dumb. Use thermal packs.

Reactions: TheSph3X

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I started with the Smuggler class and chose the following perks:

At least max out your relevant combat stats as mentioned above. Whenever i play smuggler I found it important to exploit Shoot First and Alpha Strike as much as possible.

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Your perks look vary mismatched. You took second attack, which contrasts pretty badly with your otherwise ranged oriented build.

Darkwarpalg6

Aug 28, 2015
^
Also, as an aside I am convinced that gas grenade is a trap skill; that is, it is functionally worthless compared to it's damage based alternative. Sure, you have an arc caster, but when you consider the fight you got it from, the lust grenade would do no lust damage to those drones while only affecting Dr. Khan, while your normal grenades would unfailingly do damage. The least you'd get is a new lust damage type.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I mean the rpg elements of this game have gotten better over time very significantly, but it does still astonish me that the devs have ended up with some really stupid perks. Like 5% crit on enemies who are 7' or taller? What a fucking amazing perk for lvl 9 for mercs.

Reactions: Mehis and Klaptrap

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Choosing second attack instead of second shot is actually a big deal especially since this directly impacts Shoot First and Alpha Strike.

Reactions: ShySquare

nameofidiot

Mar 19, 2018
Game design is not exactly a strong suit in this game. It's obviously not the focus. The only time that bugs me is when content is stuck behind some obnoxious, badly-designed fight.

If you're having difficulty I recommend cheating. You shouldn't waste your time scratching your head over the godawful perks and whatever. Either that or just wait until a later release, when they nerf whatever it is you're having trouble with.

Reactions: AcapABC and Xanfaus

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
Game design is not exactly a strong suit in this game. It's obviously not the focus. The only time that bugs me is when content is stuck behind some obnoxious, badly-designed fight.

If you're having difficulty I recommend cheating. You shouldn't waste your time scratching your head over the godawful perks and whatever. Either that or just wait until a later release, when they nerf whatever it is you're having trouble with.

o_O Combat design could be a LOT worse ya know, be glad we have what we currently got instead of something worse.

Reactions: ShySquare

RandomCrow

Dec 30, 2016
I'm a dedicated 'muggler player, and I have defeated every enemy in the game so far -- here is my current build and the thinking behind it.

I use a ranged attack build as some enemies are flyers and can't be hit in melee, and since guns generally deal higher damage anyway, this makes ranged builds the obvious choice.

My perks are:

Level 2 -- Low Blow -- because Shoot First only works on the first round of combat, you can never get the Aimed Shot bonus on it (unless you're in an Uvetan blizzard), making it better to use Concussive Shot or Low Blow (if CS is unavailable for whatever reason), or Flashbang Grenade when up against multiple enemies - generally speaking, Shoot First makes little difference beyond the very early game, and you should use the first round to set up.

Level 3 -- Aimed Shot -- as we're going for a ranged build.

Level 4 -- Stealth Field Generator -- while it can be amazing when it works, Disarming Shot flat-out isn't supported by nine out of ten enemies in the game, whereas SFG works in any fight.

Level 5 -- Grenade -- or Thermal Detonator, as I like to call it - while Lustbangs can be a good choice, there are enemies in the game that are totally immune to lust damage, making me prefer TD - my absolute favourite thing about this ability is that it remains useful throughout the game since it deals good, team-wide damage and never misses.

Level 6 -- Quickdraw -- the tactical advantages this perk provides make it too good to pass up, and knockdown only lowers your physique and reflexes by four, with neither stat affecting your ranged damage output (although more recently knockdown also prevents you from fleeing, making Leap Up a little more valuable).

Level 7 -- Smuggled Stimulant -- most abilities cost 25 points of energy or less, making Smuggled Stims the clear superior of the two energy-restoring moves.

Level 8 -- Second Shot -- see level 3.

Level 9 -- Alpha Strike -- your first attack being a guaranteed crit is nice, and it synergises well with my level ten perk of choice - besides, if your smuggler is at half health, you're in deep sh*t and a +7% to crit chance probably won't save you.

Level 10 -- Can Opener -- this was a tricky one, but as I already have two ways to stun an opponent, I decided that being able to reduce armour effectiveness by half was the better choice, and having Alpha Strike means I can always inflict Sunder at least once.

I have maxed stats from going to the gym, talking to Syri, and investing my points into willpower.

While I frequently change my gear around, I almost always have my Reaper Mk.1 Shield, Hardlight Dagger and Adventurer's Cloak equipped, and carry a full stack of EMP grenades.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Honestly surprised nobody just put GiT GuD yet
Not warranted, at least when it comes to OP. That other guy on the other hand...let's just say there are people in this world that find the fishing mechanics in Stardew valley too hard so there are bound to be a few brainlets here and there that simply cannot grasp basic game mechanics to save their life.

Level 10 -- Can Opener -- this was a tricky one, but as I already have two ways to stun an opponent, I decided that being able to reduce armour effectiveness by half was the better choice, and having Alpha Strike means I can always inflict Sunder at least once.

I don't think I've ever seen Can Opener proc

Last edited:

RandomCrow

Dec 30, 2016
That other guy on the other hand...let's just say there are people in this world that find the fishing mechanics in Stardew valley too hard so there are bound to be a few brainlets here and there that simply cannot grasp basic game mechanics to save their life.

Dammit, I know this is petty, but were you talking about me? I know my post doesn't really help him seeing as he's already picked his perks, but as a long-time lurker who is both too proud of his virtual accomplishments and too tired of people asking for help on what is for the most part a simple and easy game, I couldn't help myself.

Mister Gregar

Dec 8, 2016
@RandomCrow Why would you assume they're talking about you when nameofidiot's post is right there? Only one person in this thread (and like three others) complained tried to paint the game's mechanics as the problem...

Reactions: RandomCrow

RandomCrow

Dec 30, 2016
If that's the case, I'm sorry; when he called someone a brainlet, I thought he meant the fool who was clearly dying for a chance to post his optimised smuggler build.

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
If that's the case, I'm sorry; when he called someone a brainlet, I thought he meant the fool who was clearly dying for a chance to post his optimised smuggler build.
I liked your build so much I basically copied it for my new playthrough...

Reactions: RandomCrow

TW-Luna

Apr 24, 2017
Oh. If that is true I think I'll need to pull up TiTSEd and change my mauns talents.

Nymphonomicon

Apr 4, 2016
I think I f'ed up my main character's build. I always lose to the Black Void Juggernaut.

Nymphonomicon

Apr 4, 2016
Post build to let us check it?

The Black Void Juggernaut is a fucking nightmare to fight anyway. IMO it's harder than the dragon.

Just need a sec to load my save file...

Nymphy Steele
Smuggler

Perks:
'Nuki Drunk, Agility, Aimed Shot, Barcoded, Breed Hungry, Buttslut, Concussive Shot, Desperation, Disarming Shot, Ditz Speech, Easy, Elasticity, Escape Artist, Fuck Sense, Gas Grenade, Heroic Reserves, Hidden Loot, Honeypot, Improved Agility, Inhuman Desire, Leap up, Lucky Breaks, Mane, Mega Milk, Nyrean Royal, Second Shot, Sexy Thinking, Sharp Eyes, Shoot First, Slut Stamp, Smuggled Stimulant, Supply and Demand, Survival Instincts, Take Advantage, Treated Milk, Ultra-Exhibitionist, Weak Mind

Stats:
P - 37
R - 45
A - 40
I - 18
W - 5

Equipment:
Giant Wrench
Leithan Compound Bow
Slink Black Omnisuit
Reaper Armaments Mk I Shield Generator
Hovering Cargobot

Spare weapons/equipment:
EMP grenade x2
V.Blade
Goo Armor

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Your primary damage stat should be maxed out (Aim)
What's the damage on that bow? I never built a ranged smuggler that uses a bow. you might want to investigate a replacement weapon
Don't waste your first round triggering Shoot First, instead hit the guy with a flash grenade to take advantage of aimed shot

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
That bow and melee weapon are both complete dogshit. Why are you still using them?