Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Several? Everyone of note except Mark Rein Hagen is on staff. It's pretty much the entire Chronicles of Darkness era creative staff. The Paradox era WW had no real pedigree that I could tell. Onyx Path is for all intents and purposes the true White Wolf.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
To clear things up:

On Thursday, 29 October 2015, Paradox Interactive and CCP announced that Paradox had purchased White Wolf and all of its intellectual properties. Tobias Sjögren would serve as the CEO of the revived company, which would remain a subsidiary of Paradox. Martin Ericsson, formerly a developer on the World of Darkness MMO, served in the "Lead Storyteller" role for the company.[3]

In November 2018, as a result of backlash generated by material pertaining to "murder of gay Chechens" published in a Vampire: The Masquerade Fifth Edition source book, it was announced that White Wolf would no longer function as an entity separate from its parent company, and would cease developing and publishing products internally.

Onyx Path Publishing:
The company had already been founded in January 2012[1] by White Wolf Creative Director Richard Thomas,[4] and is licensee for White Wolf's World of Darkness lines (Classic World of Darkness and New World of Darkness)

Given the staff as mentioned above and the legal standing of Onyx Path a licensee, we've almost come full circle except for the fact that Onyx doesn't own the IP.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Give it time. Paradox isn't likely to do anything with the IP. The WoD MMO really wasn't a great idea to begin with. As far back as the 2E releases back in the 90's, White Wolf noted that there were a great many rules inconsistencies that STs would need to resolve for any crossover chronicles. It was never said outright, but the problems largely came from Mage.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Yeah, but Onyx Path hasn't exactly been doing a sterling job as of late, especially with Beast: The Primordial and some of their own controversies.

A79

May 18, 2017
Carl's backyard
Ignore the Chronicles of Darkness stuff. All the post Rein Hagen lines are pretty questionable. Onyx Path has done decently with their 20th Anniversary WoD line--everything else is irrelevant. lol

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
Its not irrelevant though. Modiphius Entertainment was awarded the development of the 5th edition of Vampire The Masquerade in December last year. Considering its one of the flagship lines for the World of Darkness, that's certainly a blow to Onyx Path, and a subtle reminder that while they might be producing games in WoD, they certainly don't own the rights to it. Paradox could easily revoke their license to the material.

cobra

Aug 29, 2015
Well i just decided to cancel my preorder today after all the trouble this game seems to be having. Seems to be allot of workplace politics of the political kind going on over Hardsuit Labs after key staff got removed one way or the other. Brian Mitsoda and Ka'ai Cluney who were two of the head game designers and both got removed from the games development recently sounded like there way too transfixed on identity politics for this game.

So after being delayed twice after about 18 months of game development with seemingly nothing to show for and now Paradox bringing in some former Ubisoft executive to seemingly try and finish the project it just convinced me that this game could end up being a bad sell. I already regret not canceling my preorder of Resident Evil 3 earlier this year and just have waited for a sale. in not making that mistake again.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
I almost cried when I heard that they fired the developer and pushed it into the development abyss. If it ever comes out now it'll be AAA shovelware.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I almost cried when I heard that they fired the developer and pushed it into the development abyss. If it ever comes out now it'll be AAA shovelware.
The project is dead. The initial sell was that it was a direct sequel to the original VTM: Bloodlines written by the original writers. He got fired ages ago and Paradox went out of their way to purge any contribution he made to the current project. They then fired various writers and finally the entire dev team.

Paradox needs to rebrand the project and remove any notion that it is a "spiritual successor to VTM: Bloodlines" and change it to "we hired some randos to make a sequel".

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
The project is dead. The initial sell was that it was a direct sequel to the original VTM: Bloodlines written by the original writers. He got fired ages ago and Paradox went out of their way to purge any contribution he made to the current project. They then fired various writers and finally the entire dev team.

Paradox needs to rebrand the project and remove any notion that it is a "spiritual successor to VTM: Bloodlines" and change it to "we hired some randos to make a sequel".
Well that's a surefire way to put your sequel game into the can. ://

Wint3rRyd3r

Feb 14, 2021
My disappointment is immeasurable, and my life is ruined. I was genuinely getting hyped for this game. the trailers looked great, and I love me some vampires. It being an RPG was just icing on the cake. The writing was on the wall in hindsight but after the sheer disaster that is, was, and continues to be Cyberpunk 2077, I really hoped it would succeed where CDPR failed. That they never seemed to over hype it helped. I think it's safe to assume that this game is dead and after that poorly received werewolf game, It'll be a while before we see another adaptation of any World of Darkness properties. It's unfortunate since the source material has so much to inspire and adapt. See you all in a few years when the exposé videos on it start.

Reactions: Paradox01