Unable to access fenforum directly

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
Whenever I try to enter fenoxo.com/forum, while logged in. I always get this instead:

An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error logfor details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.

I am however able to login and post by visiting any of the subforums.

It doesn't seem like it's only happening to me either.

I thought this issue might be worth mentioning.

And I would be grateful if anyone knew any solution to fix this.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
What browser are you using?

Do you have any unread messages or notifications?

I've been trying to test this on my end, and my completely-not-special-at-all test account doesn't exhibit the issue no matter what I do.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
What browser are you using?

Do you have any unread messages or notifications?

I've been trying to test this on my end, and my completely-not-special-at-all test account doesn't exhibit the issue no matter what I do.

Google chrome.

I do not have any unread messages or notifications atm.

I'd also like to add that I've tried it out on three different devices. All on google chrome.

But just now, because you reminded me that I still hadn't tried any other browsers, I tried to log in through my lg3 phone's browser. It didn't work for that one either.

I currently don't have access to a pc. But I'll try testing out different browsers later today.

Zerschmetterling

Aug 12, 2016
I`m using Firefox and i`m getting the exact same message. Tried on my Pc and Laptop neither worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

BubbleLord

Scientist
Creator
Jun 24, 2016
Reporting it appears fixed.

Edit: I've checked using my phone and PC. It was something to do with the default theme while signed in and only on the main page of the forum, based on what I found out.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015
Reporting it appears fixed.

Edit: I've checked using my phone and PC. It was something to do with the default theme while signed in and only on the main page of the forum, based on what I found out.

Still doesn't work for me.

Tried it out on edge too now, without any changes.

Starstruck

Dec 11, 2015
Saw this topic and thought i'd try it out, got a code 404.

Firefox.

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
I'm using firefox and I'm still getting the same error message.

ThatOneJester

Nov 14, 2015
I tried logging in, and got the same error code.

After seeing and then clicking on this thread though, I was logged in.

This is weird... xD  

Edit: It seems the entire forum homepage gives me an error, but only if I'm logged in.

I hope this information helps? :|  

K

Krynh

Works for me all the time. On all browsers. Are you appending an s to the end of the url?

Owens

Sep 3, 2016
I have the same issue, on both Chrome and Firefox. Only the front page of the forum gives me the error, and only when I'm logged in.

Every other page is fine though, and I can see the front page when I'm not logged in. No idea whats causing it.

Stadler

Jun 21, 2016
Same here and tested it with Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Edge. The forums index returns an HTTP 500-error (Checked in Firefox's internal debugger)

Screenshot:
2016-09-19 13_58_59-Error.png

As the picture suggests: Maybe someone with access to it should look into the error log?

[Edit:] If some admin wants to try to reproduce this with my account, tell me, when and then feel free to do so. I assume you have to change my password and then log in with it? If an admin needs an email-address or something like that to contact me while testing, then PM me.

muttdoggy

Mar 23, 2016
Same here and tested it with Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Edge. The forums index returns an HTTP 500-error (Checked in Firefox's internal debugger)

Screenshot:
View attachment 4997

As the picture suggests: Maybe someone with access to it should look into the error log?

[Edit:] If some admin wants to try to reproduce this with my account, tell me, when and then feel free to do so. I assume you have to change my password and then log in with it? If an admin needs an email-address or something like that to contact me while testing, then PM me.

This is exactly what I see when I'm logged in and go the home page or "front page" of the forums. Only the forums. When I'm not logged in, I see it fine but god forbid I login.

If I do, I get that exact white nginx page. I get it when I login on the front page or navigate to the front page while logged in.

It happens with chrome or firefox and both my browsers are up to date as of this second. Chrome 53 and Firefox 48.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I can actually masquerade into your permission set which should hopefully replicate the issue... time2science.

Jonnyreg

Nov 13, 2015
I was having this exact same problem until I saw BubbleLords post about themes. I changed my theme from "FM Noite" to "Default" and it immediately corrected the problem. I was also able to go back to FM Noite and it is still working correctly now.

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
I was having this exact same problem until I saw BubbleLords post about themes. I changed my theme from "FM Noite" to "Default" and it immediately corrected the problem. I was also able to go back to FM Noite and it is still working correctly now.

I did this too and can confirm it works.

Bartran

Feb 9, 2016
I can also confirm that this worked, although I'm not sure if you needed another data point. 

K

Krynh

Strange error for a theme to be giving people a 404 when typing a link

Last edited:

Stadler

Jun 21, 2016
Switching to Default and then back fixed that for me, too. And IIRC I  had a 500-error which is an 'Internal Server Error'. Since switching themes fixed that and a hard refresh did not as a quick guess, this could be related to a messed up cookie?

[Edit:] Tested it in opera and the problem is fixed there, too. So probably no cookie. Next guess would be the theme id or any theme setting in the database. Did you apply any changes to the themes recently?

irioth

May 12, 2016
I'm still experiencing this problem. Could someone kindly explain me how this switching themes fix works ?

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
Ok so, down at the bottom of this page you should find thing that says theme on it. Click that and switch the theme and then switch it back.

irioth

May 12, 2016
Ok so, down at the bottom of this page you should find thing that says theme on it. Click that and switch the theme and then switch it back.

It worked. Many thanks. I was looking for the theme-switching command in the wrong place, among my account's settings.  

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
fyi I'm pretty sure its not the theme itself; changing theme is just forcing a cached result to regenerate (because the themes can reformat the data, hence the cache needs to rebuild). I know what's directly causing the issue you guys see, but I don't know what's triggering the underlying problem.

Basically, sometimes one of the cache files generates in an corrupt state- the cache, specifically, is for the topic feed down the side of the main page. People with a similar permission set & similar viewing habits will likely see the same read/unread topics and it'll pull from the same cache file.

Stadler

Jun 21, 2016
F5 ~~~ought~~~ to work in that case.

Well, that didn't work. Neither a hard refresh, nor switching browsers. But I guess you know that already since you wrote ~~~ought~~~ and not should. I just wanted to repeat that for other users that still have this issue.

Basically, sometimes one of the cache files generates in an corrupt state- the cache, specifically, is for the topic feed down the side of the main page. People with a similar permission set & similar viewing habits will likely see the same read/unread topics and it'll pull from the same cache file.

It this cache on the server or the clients side? If its the former you could probably simply dump it for everyone. If its on the clients side (which I doubt) you should investigate this more cuz this could be a security issue. A client should never crash the server side aka 500-error.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
F5 ~~~ought~~~ to work in that case.

Nah its a server side cache.

Well, that didn't work. Neither a hard refresh, nor switching browsers. But I guess you know that already since you wrote ~~~ought~~~ and not should.

It this cache on the server or the clients side? If its the former you could probably simply dump it for everyone. If its on the clients side (which I doubt) you should investigate this more cuz this could be a security issue. A client should never crash the server side aka 500-error.

I can't dump the cache because its not a true cache. It is, in IPB parlence, a "datastore" and shit gets generated and dumped in there. There is no way I can find of clearing and regenerating the store easily, so...

Lookin' more and more like IPB will be kill sooner rather than later, and something that isn't trying to shoot its own feet off to replace it.  :v: